Tips for a MX guy that wants to do some off-road?

braaap707
Edited Date/Time 10/31/2018 10:17am
So I've grown up racing MX like a lot of you but got out of racing when I was 14. Just came back into it last year and been enjoying it. However I ride with some fast A jday friends and when we go out we pound sand pit motos, trail loops and some grass track. I keep right with them and they convinced me to race some jdays and maybe a sprint enduro next year. Any advice for a MX guy looking to cross over a little ? I have a 350 im keeping setup for moto. Bike I will be racing is a 17 TC250. Stuff I've already thought about putting on are skid plate hand guards HD tubes and pipe guard. Any other must haves ? Thanks in advance guys
|
10/29/2018 9:00am
God I'm so jealous that y'all have that series, it looks like the best one in the states right now.

I can't speak from J-Day experience since I'm on the other coast, but based on my (limited) hare scramble experience is that Moto guys tend to way overdo the stuff they think they need for hare scrambles.

If I were you, I'd personally race the 350 but depending on whichever bike you're going to ride, the only thing I'd probably invest in is some decent hand guards. J-Day is a pretty shorter format so no need for a big tank from what I can tell, but upgrading to Heavy duty tubes is a good idea. You can put a skid plate if you'd like, but I think you'd probably be fine without it if you're not throwing your bike everywhere.

Good luck and have fun, off road is a blast!
10/29/2018 9:04am Edited Date/Time 10/29/2018 9:05am
A recluse clutch is a godsend on tight rocky technical trails, didn't help me too much for moto but for off road it's almost like cheating. Also soften up your suspension quite a bit so you'll be comfortable for long periods of time, you'll be dealing with more square edges and you want your wheels to follow the terrain without deflecting. Enjoy!
10/29/2018 9:04am
Yep i did the same thing last year. Been riding and racing since my 10th birtday and after a 8 year break. Decided to start with riding again , but now off-road/enduro

The only thing i have is handguards , skidplate and a bigger silencer. I ride a GasGas EC300 now!

The Shop

nh dude
10/29/2018 9:05am
J day are a ton of fun the Southwick event this coming week end is gonna be dope !
SIMX2
10/29/2018 9:39am
Soften up that suspension and go have fun!
10/29/2018 9:40am
If you don't already, practice riding standing up. You'll be standing up a lot through the tight, technical stuff.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
10/29/2018 9:45am
SIMX2 wrote:
Soften up that suspension and go have fun!
This!!!

Raced my first off-road race in 2016 with moto suspension and let me tell you, it was a huge mistake!
10/29/2018 9:47am
braaap707 wrote:
So I've grown up racing MX like a lot of you but got out of racing when I was 14. Just came back into it last...
So I've grown up racing MX like a lot of you but got out of racing when I was 14. Just came back into it last year and been enjoying it. However I ride with some fast A jday friends and when we go out we pound sand pit motos, trail loops and some grass track. I keep right with them and they convinced me to race some jdays and maybe a sprint enduro next year. Any advice for a MX guy looking to cross over a little ? I have a 350 im keeping setup for moto. Bike I will be racing is a 17 TC250. Stuff I've already thought about putting on are skid plate hand guards HD tubes and pipe guard. Any other must haves ? Thanks in advance guys
flywheel weight
softer suspension
Mx 117
10/29/2018 10:27am
I'm a moto guy as well with a 17' TC 250. So far I have done 10 motocross races, 4 enduros, and the southwick jday on it. Just soften the suspension, add a skid plate and go have some fun. You won't need handguards for the jday but will need them for enduros/harescrambles/gncc'c.
AngryBear
10/29/2018 10:27am
trees don't move. except the one's that jump out in front of you.
TeamGreen
10/29/2018 10:46am
Depending on the length of the off-road event, I’d go with a larger gas tank. You can probably find a used TE tank on-line for a good price.
10/29/2018 10:54am
And offcourse a offroad jacket or a waistbag.
I always take an extra pair of gloves and a extra goggle with me and some tools.

10/29/2018 10:56am
Learn to look well ahead down the trail so you're ready for whatever you are going to have to deal with
EastFlorida
10/29/2018 12:59pm
PACE yourself... The HS races in FL are 2 hrs long. Can't go out with MX intensity or you'll hit the wall. It's tough to go slower, but you'll need to for the longer races...
agn5009
10/29/2018 1:05pm
A recluse clutch is a godsend on tight rocky technical trails, didn't help me too much for moto but for off road it's almost like cheating...
A recluse clutch is a godsend on tight rocky technical trails, didn't help me too much for moto but for off road it's almost like cheating. Also soften up your suspension quite a bit so you'll be comfortable for long periods of time, you'll be dealing with more square edges and you want your wheels to follow the terrain without deflecting. Enjoy!
There ain't any tight Rocky sections at a Sprint Enduro. I don't know much about the JDay series' terrain.

With that being said, an MX bike is totally fine for just about any harescramble outside the extreme enduro stuff. Throw a set of bark Buster's on, a skid plate and maybe some radiator guards and you'll be good to go. You may also want to mess with the gearing a little bit too.

A lot of people cross over into HS racing and never look back. I've done both all my life. I enjoy "riding" MX more, but I like to "race" HS more. It is a lot of fun and a very relaxed atmosphere.
agn5009
10/29/2018 1:10pm
braaap707 wrote:
So I've grown up racing MX like a lot of you but got out of racing when I was 14. Just came back into it last...
Also, I wouldn't say it's a must have but a tubeliss system in the rear tire and a mousse bib in the front tire is a really nice set up for offroad. Going out and getting flats is one less thing you'll have to worry about.
agn5009
10/29/2018 1:15pm Edited Date/Time 10/29/2018 1:28pm
And offcourse a offroad jacket or a waistbag. I always take an extra pair of gloves and a extra goggle with me and some tools. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/10/29/298999/s1200_Screenshot_20181029_185047_Google.jpg[/img]...
And offcourse a offroad jacket or a waistbag.
I always take an extra pair of gloves and a extra goggle with me and some tools.

You don't need any of that junk for a Sprint Enduro. I'm assuming a JDay is somewhat similar to a Kenda Sprint National Enduro. Go out and know how to twist the throttle for each timed section is all you need to know how to do.

Edit: yeah, I just checked out a few videos of JDay events. They look like a blast. They're not harescrambles though. You could soften your suspension on an MX bike and be ready to go. It's mostly MX, grass track and wide open trails.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
10/29/2018 1:49pm Edited Date/Time 10/29/2018 1:55pm
PACE yourself... The HS races in FL are 2 hrs long. Can't go out with MX intensity or you'll hit the wall. It's tough to go...
PACE yourself... The HS races in FL are 2 hrs long. Can't go out with MX intensity or you'll hit the wall. It's tough to go slower, but you'll need to for the longer races...
Yes, Pace yourself. When I raced my first off-road race, I was basically off of the couch with 2 practice days before the race. I knew that I didn't have the stamina and that my strong point was the track. Off the start I didn't get the greatest start, but I was much faster on the track than anyone else. I made my passes on the track and started pulling away and continued to until the red flag came out. I was so bummed! Sat around for an hour waiting for the track to be cleared.

Restart time, 3rd place start, passed 1st and 2nd immediately and put the hammer(last name pun) down. Made it half a lap and hit the wall so hard! I ended up dropping to 5th before catching my foot on the side of a wall in a whoop section. Finished up 10th in my class out of 33 and 14th overall on track out of 90+ so it wasn't all that bad for a kid that grew up racing nothing but moto!

Just have fun with it and take a few races to feel it out and learn. It's a different world, but a ton of fun!
Zeke27G
10/29/2018 1:51pm

Expect to be bored.Whistling
paddyB745
10/29/2018 6:05pm
Plastic skid plate is cheap insurance. Soften the suspension for sure. Stay hydrated, I run a hands free hydration system so I can always have some water when I’m thirsty especially helpful in California where it’s dry as a bone and dusty. I used to race Mx but the Offroad scene is more fun in my opinion, more seat time for the money as well.
BR8ES
10/29/2018 6:17pm
Do your best to leave a dump before the start...
motogrady
10/29/2018 6:41pm Edited Date/Time 10/29/2018 6:43pm
paddyB745 wrote:
Plastic skid plate is cheap insurance. Soften the suspension for sure. Stay hydrated, I run a hands free hydration system so I can always have some...
Plastic skid plate is cheap insurance. Soften the suspension for sure. Stay hydrated, I run a hands free hydration system so I can always have some water when I’m thirsty especially helpful in California where it’s dry as a bone and dusty. I used to race Mx but the Offroad scene is more fun in my opinion, more seat time for the money as well.
This. The half dozen or so hare scrambles I've run, leg cramps from dehydration after maybe an hour or so is the big issue.
A camel back you can sip out of a tube, or have water set up in the pits where you can blast in and grab a healthy swig is a real good idea. It's a bummer when your hamstrings go haywire.

Practice refueling. You will probably not make a 1.5 or 2 hr event on a motocross size tank. If the bike you run doesn't have a reserve petcock, I dunno how you're gonna keep an eye on fuel. Sucks to run out way out in a back section.

I used to have it set up to where I ran 45 minutes, then came in and watered and fueled up, and went back out hopeing to finish with that.

Keep a good, steady pace, avoid anything major, you'll be fine.
ktmdan
10/29/2018 6:56pm
Oh man, racing a J Day is on my bucket list. Every pic on their ig shows primo dirt.

Stand up.
Don't freak out if you get a bad start, be patient.
If they're dead engine start, use the kicker, not the button.
Emphasize energy conservation, aka don't blow out all the pretty berms just because it's fun, you gotta flow. Think of Everts passing Stew in the sand standing up flowing.

I try to remember that going about 1 mph faster and flowing saves a ton of time at the end of a long race.

Have fun
agn5009
10/29/2018 7:02pm Edited Date/Time 10/29/2018 7:13pm
paddyB745 wrote:
Plastic skid plate is cheap insurance. Soften the suspension for sure. Stay hydrated, I run a hands free hydration system so I can always have some...
motogrady wrote:
This. The half dozen or so hare scrambles I've run, leg cramps from dehydration after maybe an hour or so is the big issue. A camel...
This. The half dozen or so hare scrambles I've run, leg cramps from dehydration after maybe an hour or so is the big issue.
A camel back you can sip out of a tube, or have water set up in the pits where you can blast in and grab a healthy swig is a real good idea. It's a bummer when your hamstrings go haywire.

Practice refueling. You will probably not make a 1.5 or 2 hr event on a motocross size tank. If the bike you run doesn't have a reserve petcock, I dunno how you're gonna keep an eye on fuel. Sucks to run out way out in a back section.

I used to have it set up to where I ran 45 minutes, then came in and watered and fueled up, and went back out hopeing to finish with that.

Keep a good, steady pace, avoid anything major, you'll be fine.
He's not racing a regular harescramble. The Sprint Enduro gives you time between tests. I'm not sure how JDays format is but I'm pretty sure it's not a consistent 2-3 hour race. He should have time to refuel between the tests I would imagine.

I just looked up the JDay series. It looks like it's a 2 race format which is a half hour each? There's test sections such as MX, open trails, grass track and endurocross extreme type. You apparently do each section 4 times. I'm not really sure how that equals to being 2 30 minute motos though. I would be interested in doing their event at Unadilla. It looks like that's the only one somewhat close to me.
RonJon516
10/29/2018 7:05pm
A good start helps. Bring a block with you on the start so you can stand tall and get a better kick. Have it in gear too. Have fun ?
Doddy
10/29/2018 8:26pm Edited Date/Time 10/30/2018 12:53am
A recluse clutch is a godsend on tight rocky technical trails, didn't help me too much for moto but for off road it's almost like cheating...
agn5009 wrote:
There ain't any tight Rocky sections at a Sprint Enduro. I don't know much about the JDay series' terrain. With that being said, an MX bike...
There ain't any tight Rocky sections at a Sprint Enduro. I don't know much about the JDay series' terrain.

With that being said, an MX bike is totally fine for just about any harescramble outside the extreme enduro stuff. Throw a set of bark Buster's on, a skid plate and maybe some radiator guards and you'll be good to go. You may also want to mess with the gearing a little bit too.

A lot of people cross over into HS racing and never look back. I've done both all my life. I enjoy "riding" MX more, but I like to "race" HS more. It is a lot of fun and a very relaxed atmosphere.
Hare scrambles that have an MX track part of the course is definitely my favorite.

Edit: Thought it was a HR.

Post a reply to: Tips for a MX guy that wants to do some off-road?

The Latest