Time to say goodbye Broc, good run

burn1986
Fantasy
3280th
4/17/2018 11:48am Edited Date/Time 4/18/2018 10:57am
I personally think Broc didn’t know exactly what it was he injested or was charged with, but it doesn’t matter. He’s done. Like DeCoster mentioned, he’s 28 and these suspensions are generally for 4 yrs (based on Olympic Games cycles) so even if he gets 1.5 - 2.5 yrs, its career ending.

The promoters (DC, Feld, and Co.) are probably shocked, but generally don’t care. It’s as if he’s in a jail in a foreign country, and its a foreign government deciding the outcome, even though it’s a US rider on US soil. It’s not necessarily “just” and the crime doesn’t fit the punishment, but what’s done is done.
|
olds cool
4/17/2018 11:51am
Yes, let's not wait for the B sample results or even bother with the appeal, just go ahead and convict...Angry
Tim507
4/17/2018 11:52am
Agreed and very unfortunate!

Hope KTM/Red Bull does not hammer him for the pay back on his contract!!
Motoxdoc
4/17/2018 11:52am
How old is Justin Brayton?.....Chad Reed? Broc is in control of his future.
DC
4/17/2018 11:54am
The promoters (DC, Feld, and Co.) are probably shocked, but generally don’t care. It’s as if he’s in a jail in a foreign country, and its a foreign government deciding the outcome, even though it’s a US rider on US soil. It’s not necessarily “just” and the crime doesn’t fit the punishment, but what’s done is done.

Come on... I've known Broc since he was an amateur growing up in North Carolina. I am devastated for him. I hope it's all a misunderstanding.

DC
Racer X

The Shop

burn1986
Fantasy
3280th
4/17/2018 11:54am
olds cool wrote:
Yes, let's not wait for the B sample results or even bother with the appeal, just go ahead and convict...Angry
We can always hope, I know I do. But that’s not the reality here. I had the same hope for JS but look what happened there.
burn1986
Fantasy
3280th
4/17/2018 11:57am
DC wrote:
The promoters (DC, Feld, and Co.) are probably shocked, but generally don’t care. It’s as if he’s in a jail in a foreign country, and its...

Come on... I've known Broc since he was an amateur growing up in North Carolina. I am devastated for him. I hope it's all a misunderstanding.

DC
Racer X
I get that, but you’re telling me that US MX and SX has to have the WADA or FIM credibility in order to have the races on US soil? Why
smit9722
4/17/2018 11:58am
"I hope it's all a misunderstanding" yes the misunderstanding is that he had drugs in his system, he is getting suspended and that's that let's move along nothing to see here.
Tim507
4/17/2018 12:03pm
The process of unwinding this with the governing body is endless! Its their way or the highwayAngryWink
500guy
4/17/2018 12:04pm
burn1986 wrote:
I get that, but you’re telling me that US MX and SX has to have the WADA or FIM credibility in order to have the races...
I get that, but you’re telling me that US MX and SX has to have the WADA or FIM credibility in order to have the races on US soil? Why
First off MX has USADA and SX has WADA

The Manufactures asked for the testing and this is the result , it's not perfect I agree but lets not kid ourselves that it's some kind of Foreign invasion.
KurtJ99
Fantasy
679th
4/17/2018 12:07pm
olds cool wrote:
burn1986 wrote:
We can always hope, I know I do. But that’s not the reality here. I had the same hope for JS but look what happened there.
JS acknowledged the use and tried to a Therapeutic Use Exemption after the fact. So not the same.
I am perplexed though that the top riders don't test themselves to know they are clean. Seems like an unreasonable risk to wait for WADA testing to tell you if you have a career or not.
Asimo
4/17/2018 12:08pm
DC wrote:
The promoters (DC, Feld, and Co.) are probably shocked, but generally don’t care. It’s as if he’s in a jail in a foreign country, and its...

DC
Racer X
Has a B sample ever came back negative in history?

Truth is, Tickle is world class athlete. If he wasnt testing anything he was taking at a 3rd party lab on his own, well, not sure what to say since regular meatheads at gyms all around the world do, and they arent even in tested sports.
FRANK121
4/17/2018 12:08pm
If anyone should be drug tested it should be Reed, that glaze in his eyes and his little smerk ....... I swear he's on drugs! ...... lol
burn1986
Fantasy
3280th
4/17/2018 12:09pm
500guy wrote:
First off MX has USADA and SX has WADA The Manufactures asked for the testing and this is the result , it's not perfect I agree...

The Manufactures asked for the testing and this is the result , it's not perfect I agree but lets not kid ourselves that it's some kind of Foreign invasion.
US (ADA) huh? Then why are the results sent to Germany and the CAS is over there as well? What is the AMAs role in all of this?
BobbyM
4/17/2018 12:18pm
500guy wrote:
First off MX has USADA and SX has WADA The Manufactures asked for the testing and this is the result , it's not perfect I agree...

burn1986 wrote:
US (ADA) huh? Then why are the results sent to Germany and the CAS is over there as well? What is the AMAs role in all...
US (ADA) huh? Then why are the results sent to Germany and the CAS is over there as well? What is the AMAs role in all of this?
DC
4/17/2018 12:19pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2018 12:20pm
The FIM is a signatory to the WADA code if all of their racing disciplines, which includes Supercross (sanctioned by both AMA and FIM). Lucas Oil Pro Motocross is sanctioned by AMA Pro Racing and had a choice when we implemented drug-testing, and we decided to use USADA, which is basically the domestic offshoot of WADA, but easier to work with because they are based in the U.S. and extremely helpful. Motocross testing happens here, not in Germany, though USADA does list WADA penalties on their website.

The penalties are steep for failing a test, whether you're a mountain biker or motocrosser, tennis player or Formula 1 driver... Leagues like the NFL, MLB and NHL are able to write their own penalties, and it's my hope than one day SX and MX can get together and do that, and have more reasonable penalties than "Olympic-length" penalties, but SX has their FIM sanction and must adhere to the WADA code.

DC
Racer X
Sparkey
4/17/2018 12:20pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2018 12:21pm
Why do other sports have game suspensions and MX/SX has multi year? I get the fact that the drug testing was based on olympics that has a four year cycle, but for the life of me, why the heck can it be something that can ruin a season (4 races?) and not a career? Does USADA and WADA also test the professional sports that only have season ending consequences? If not, who tests them? Why doesn't the employer (FIM/MX Sports) set the punishment instead of the employee (USADA/WADA)???

Riddle me that batman

Edit** DC just answered my questions**
pbody
Fantasy
518th
4/17/2018 12:25pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2018 12:32pm
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
Hey DC....just wondering as I haven't seen it directly addressed anywhere....is there any plans on getting away from WADA/USADA and having both MX and SX have their own policies and procedures in place?

NFL/NBA/MLB have all done it. They've done the leg-work, would be great to follow their lead.

And of course, I assume the FIM sanctioning would have to go away in SX, but not sure what the benefits are these days since all rounds are in the US. I feel we would all be happy with this in order to improve the current drug policy and get away from WADA/USADA.

Edit....forgot to add, could always get the other major racing organizations/series included...GNCC, Road Raving, Flat Track, etc. I'd gladly pay $5 more with my AMA membership to get this taken care of.
Lightning78
4/17/2018 12:28pm
olds cool wrote:
Do you really think the B sample is going to be any different???? If it came from the same piss, how could it be any different?
RCMXracing
4/17/2018 12:34pm
Worth a read, Steve Cox CN article.
http://www.cyclenews.com/2018/04/article/empire-of-dirt-3/
This caught my attention: “The thing is, rules, just like laws, are not self-justifying. Their very existence doesn’t make them right.”
So what’s the hold up to fix this mess of FIM and WADA and unjust penalties?! Tick toc, let’s ruin some more careers and lives. Everyone just standing around throwing up their hands, “welp, nothing we can do, hopes and prayers”. GET BUSY and fix it!
BobKerr
4/17/2018 12:40pm
It sucks really bad for Broc. If he can legally race in the Canadian MX series, I would go do that for a few years and make what money I could before retiring.
omalley
4/17/2018 12:43pm
DC wrote:
The FIM is a signatory to the WADA code if all of their racing disciplines, which includes Supercross (sanctioned by both AMA and FIM). Lucas Oil...
The FIM is a signatory to the WADA code if all of their racing disciplines, which includes Supercross (sanctioned by both AMA and FIM). Lucas Oil Pro Motocross is sanctioned by AMA Pro Racing and had a choice when we implemented drug-testing, and we decided to use USADA, which is basically the domestic offshoot of WADA, but easier to work with because they are based in the U.S. and extremely helpful. Motocross testing happens here, not in Germany, though USADA does list WADA penalties on their website.

The penalties are steep for failing a test, whether you're a mountain biker or motocrosser, tennis player or Formula 1 driver... Leagues like the NFL, MLB and NHL are able to write their own penalties, and it's my hope than one day SX and MX can get together and do that, and have more reasonable penalties than "Olympic-length" penalties, but SX has their FIM sanction and must adhere to the WADA code.

DC
Racer X
DC, Why do we (American MX/SX) sign up with a body (WADA/USADA), then allow them to say that we can’t dictate the penalty schedule (in reference to your statement that you hope someday we can dictate our own penalty)? That seems like we are the customer and should be able to say “you’re just the testing body. Send us the results of failed tests and we will determine punishment.” Who gave them control over punishment?

I get that the WADA thing is tied in with the FIM and thus more complicated. One more reason to tell the FIM to GTFO of our racing in my opinion.
reynardfan1
Fantasy
3626th
4/17/2018 12:50pm
This isn’t an Olympic sport where careers are pointing to 4 year intervals...makes absolutely 0 sense to use them to police our athletes...

The suspension is 50% of most riders pro career...football players get 4 games.
Rotaholic
4/17/2018 12:57pm
I met Broc when I was out from New Zealand and he seemed like a really nice guy, 4 years doesn't fit the crime, not even sure if one has really been committed. They should use the 3 strikes and your out system, with the first offense just stripping him of points for supercross and not being able to earn any for outdoors. Next time a 1 year stand down and the final time a 4 year stand down.
burn1986
Fantasy
3280th
4/17/2018 1:03pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2018 1:10pm
pbody wrote:
Hey DC....just wondering as I haven't seen it directly addressed anywhere....is there any plans on getting away from WADA/USADA and having both MX and SX have...
Hey DC....just wondering as I haven't seen it directly addressed anywhere....is there any plans on getting away from WADA/USADA and having both MX and SX have their own policies and procedures in place?

NFL/NBA/MLB have all done it. They've done the leg-work, would be great to follow their lead.

And of course, I assume the FIM sanctioning would have to go away in SX, but not sure what the benefits are these days since all rounds are in the US. I feel we would all be happy with this in order to improve the current drug policy and get away from WADA/USADA.

Edit....forgot to add, could always get the other major racing organizations/series included...GNCC, Road Raving, Flat Track, etc. I'd gladly pay $5 more with my AMA membership to get this taken care of.
I think the answer is that the OEMs want DC and Feld (the promoters) to be accredited by the FIM and WADA. If the promoters say they are forming a US only testing and discipline committee, then the OEMs will get mad. So, the promoters bend and we (and Broc) have the archaic bureaucratic FIM/ WADA socialite bullies to contend with. I’m sure they will all get together and have cigars and laugh it up at the industry meetings. “Good times”
FRANK121
4/17/2018 1:05pm
If anything it should be a 1 race suspension and season probation with random testing. Second offense and you're out for the season! Like someone stated earlier, other professional sports, football, basketball, etc. have game penalties not career ending?
olds cool
4/17/2018 1:06pm
olds cool wrote:
Do you really think the B sample is going to be any different???? If it came from the same piss, how could it be any different?
Hopefully it is but maybe not. That wasn't my point. I was suggesting to let the process play out before convicting the guy. I know WADA has the cards stacked highly in their favor but if there's a chance at all for Broc to redeem himself, let's see how that goes before the lynch mob has their way.
Rdubs19
4/17/2018 1:10pm
Not to ask a stupid question, but how hard is it to just cut ties with the FIM?
DC
4/17/2018 1:11pm
burn, we didn't "bend" for the OEMs, the FIM requires SX to use WADA. We did not have the same requirement and chose to work with USADA when we implemented drug-testing (which riders, fans and teams were all asking for).

I also agree the penalties are way too harsh for the career span of racers as well as the benefits that any PED might have, but it's the price of having a completely independent and objective drug-testing component. If we could get to the "league" point with other series and motorsports I would be certainly interested in working in that direction, but right now, with different sanctioning bodies for SX, MX and MXGP, it's not possible.

DC
Racer X
burn1986
Fantasy
3280th
4/17/2018 1:18pm
DC wrote:
burn, we didn't "bend" for the OEMs, the FIM requires SX to use WADA. We did not have the same requirement and chose to work with...
burn, we didn't "bend" for the OEMs, the FIM requires SX to use WADA. We did not have the same requirement and chose to work with USADA when we implemented drug-testing (which riders, fans and teams were all asking for).

I also agree the penalties are way too harsh for the career span of racers as well as the benefits that any PED might have, but it's the price of having a completely independent and objective drug-testing component. If we could get to the "league" point with other series and motorsports I would be certainly interested in working in that direction, but right now, with different sanctioning bodies for SX, MX and MXGP, it's not possible.

DC
Racer X
Yeah, it’s just a bad deal all the way around, right? “Yeah, it’s just tough on everyone right now. Whew, those penalties! Man, that FIM is no joke! I wish there’s was something we could do. Yeah, that Broc just got a bad deal. I feel real bad about it. But chin up Bucky, were right on top of it, and we’ll keep monitoring it!”
DC
4/17/2018 1:24pm
Sorry Burn, I don't have much to do with Supercross, nor the FIM, nor WADA...

DC
Racer X

Post a reply to: Time to say goodbye Broc, good run

The Latest