Time for my thoughts on the greatest night of racing in the history of ever- A2 The Resurrection of Reed

tblazier
Edited Date/Time 1/20/2014 9:00am
Sweet Mary Mother of Moto was that one awesomely amazing night of racing! Hell, I was pretty much satisfied after Dunge’s man berries dropped in the first heat and he started going all Bradshaw on everyone. The dude was froggie last night and just looking to jump. Little did I know that was just an appetizer salad to a main course of Supercross thrills, spills and chills.

On top of all that great racing, we had the retro night, which is right in my wheelhouse as you might imagine. I totally love stuff like this that mixes things up and adds a little spice and it was great to see some of the teams get behind it. A major bravo to Team Honda, JGR, Crossland Motorsports and all the other guys who donned retro gear and even a few crazy seventies numbers. I would also like to send a major raspberry to all the teams that stuck to the same old, same old and just ran their usual kit. Would it have killed Kawasaki to be green again for ONE NIGHT? Sure, their bike might not look like the same stupid Monster can it has since 2007, but come on! Have a little fun for poop’s sake. Everyone knows you can’t go full retard and win an Oscar, but you can go full retro and win the hearts of millions (ok maybe hundreds, but still).

Here are my thoughts on probably my favorite night of racing in the history of EVER.

1st Place- Chad “Write off this” Reed: First of all, I want to preface things by stating that I am indeed a total Chad Reed homer. I have pulled for him since he got here and love the guy’s heart and determination. I pulled for him against the nearly unbeatable RC and Stewart, and I have pulled for against the litany of other guys he has had to face in the last decade plus. Yes, I was incredibly cheesed off when he went all pussy and bailed on the outdoors, but I stood by my man nonetheless. I nearly died when he hit the Chad-a-pult and damn near cried when he cartwheeled at Dallas two years ago. I love motocross, so I always enjoy it no matter who wins, but I really care when it involves Chad. For whatever reason, he is my guy, and will be so until he hangs up that #22.

That said, even I had my doubts CR22 would ever hit the top step again. First of all, he was pretty much not great last year and second of all, he was pretty much not great last year. Plus he is old, stubborn, finicky, running his own team, has a kid, is richer than Midas and blah blah blah…. Well you know what? I was wrong. I was dead wrong. And holly s%#@! balls am I glad to admit it.

Last night, Chad showed that he may indeed be the most mentally tough man ever to race in this sport. Since 2002, Chad has been up against some of the greatest riders the sport has ever seen and every one has had his number. He has been beaten over and over, but never let that defeat him mentally. To keep fighting and believing in yourself, after all that, is a rare gift and probably more important than the great physical gifts Chad has been blessed with. Lots of dudes are fast, but very few are as tough and doggedly tenacious as number 22. He really is one of a kind, and I count myself lucky to have been able to watch him over the years. Thanks again for the ride. Riding Grade: A+++++++++++(Seriously, what do you think I was going to give him? I was going to give him more, but I ran out of pluses.) Gear Grade: A (loved the Emig inspired retro Shift threads. It could have used a little more camo, but I’ll allow it).

2nd place- James “Hey, that’s my foot” Stewart: This was a very solid ride by the formerly fastest man on the planet. He inherited the lead when my other man crush, Dungey, huck-a-bucked himself out of the driver’s seat and looked like a shoe-in for the win. To be honest, however, even then I had my doubts about whether James could hold on for the win. Whenever I watch him, I am just waiting like a kid turning a Jack-in-the-box. Dut-tadut-ta-dudaly-dute-SPRONG!

At any point, the crash may come, but to his credit, JS7 kept it on two wheels last night. This in spite of two pretty aggressive moves by RV and a pretty blatant attempt to steal his oh-so-minty boots (maybe RV needed to freshen his breath). James was really lucky not to break something or twist a knee in that exchange. After that, it still looked like he might hold on, but for maybe the third time in twelve years, he was not as fast as Chad Reed. That was the race, plain and simple. Stew just did not have the Aussie covered this night and the Universes got put on their head.

Still, a second is very solid and he is actually not out of the title fight in spite of a DNF at A1. Overall, it was a very good night for Suzuki and the ripped one. Riding Grade: B+ (No Crazy Balls, but no yard sale either) Gear Grade: B- (Not loving the whole schmedium thing James has going on this year, but I actually liked the black and yellow colorway)

3rd place- Kenny “My English is better than yours” Roczen: Hello red plate, my old friend, it is nice to have you back. Last night was a solid performance by Zee German. At one point I thought it was going to be his race to win, but then he seemed to tighten up and got gobbled up by the Twotwo Express. He certainly looked fast and capable of winning. Personally I think the Red Bull buzz wore off on about lap 14 and then he hit the wall. Whatever the reason, it was a nice podium finish and enough to take back that pretty red plate. Plus, his Fox gear looked badass, so there is that. Riding Grade: B Gear Grade: A

4th place- Justin “Captain Retro” Brayton: OK, now this is how you do retro. JGR hit it out of the park with this 70’s bumblebee get up (Big win! When was the last time anyone looked at a Yamaha and did anything but scratch their head?). Personally, I think Yamaha should bring back this look as at least an optional color. It always looks cool and really resonates with the only demographic with enough money to actually afford a 450 four-stroke these days. When you added in Brayton’s old school gear, you had by far the best look of retro night.

As to Cele-Brayton’s riding, I thought he rode very well once again. His heat race win was exciting to watch and showed that last week was no fluke. He did a great job holding off RV, then got passed and passed him back for the win! #Awesome

The main did not go as well with a so-so start, but he kept his head down, stayed out of the carnage and carded a very good fourth. Overall, this was a great night for JGR with a heat win (and sweet look) and now Justin is only five points out of the series lead! Riding Grade: A+ (Heat) B (Main) Gear Grade: A retrotastic A+

5th Place- Ryan “Pardon me, is that your boot?” Villopoto: Bit of a rough night for the champ. First, his team totally sucks a big one by not going full retro, then he tries to steal Stew’s boot (unsuccessfully), then he gets torpedoed by the second coming of Damon Bradshaw. Overall, it was a pretty bummer of an evening by the gingeriest leprechaun in moto. Oh well, there is always next week to smash everyone’s will again. Riding Grade: C+ Gear Grade: C (No retro-BOOOOOOOO)

6th Place- Ryan “ You want some of me punk?” Dungey: WHOA NELLY! Where in the name of man friends did this come from? It would appear Dungey is tired of everyone from Matthes to Kelly Rippa busting his balls about not being aggressive enough. Last night, the guy rode like he had a scorpion in his Feeguns. Torpedo Tickle-check. Ram Ryan-double check! Win race….well, we may have to work on that part of the equation.

Early on, it looked like this might be the Dungenator’s night to zero in on a victory. Then his targeting computer went all haywire and he started careening off stuff. Oh well, he still got to tell all the pit pundits to suck it and Roger to get off his back. Plus he executed a nearly perfect pick-up pass on the redheaded munchkin so he got my vote. With the top five only 5 points apart, this is still anybody’s game. Did I mention I love this sport? Riding Grade: C (Should have had the win, but pooped the bed) Aggressiveness Grade: 5 Bradshaw’s Gear Grade: A- (Not really retro, but very nice none the less)

7th Place- Weston “Everything he hits, he destroys” Peick: Awesome ride by The Nihilist to seventh place. On a night were Reed won, it is fitting his archenemy from last year should have a good night as well. This was a major bounce back (pun intended) for Peick who tried to teach Phoenix who was the boss last week by pounding the bejesus out of the track with his linebacker’s physique. It was a great showing for the guy who just does not give a f&%#. Riding Grade: A Gear Grade: B+ (bonus points for the sweet retro yellow and blue Zook)

8th Place- Josh “It’s my turn to make the main this week “ Hill: Wow, it really was a retro night last night, Josh hill won something (Semi) and made the top ten. J-law must have been rolling a car somewhere in tribute. Smoke ‘em if ya got’em!

I like Josh and am happy to see him have a solid finish. It would be nice for RCH if both their guys could make the main on the same night, but it appeared the Universes had Tickle in their sights last night. Oh well, maybe next week. Riding Grade: B Gear Grade: B

9th Place- Andrew “Bubba Burger” Short: Another top ten for Shorty and he is only four points back from Twilight Sparkle (What in the hell was with Barcia’s get up last night? He looked like someone rolled him in yogurt and then barfed French fries all over him. The dude just can’t stop giving) in seventh for the title chase. It would be nice if he could maybe win a semi to get a little face time with the cameras, but overall BTO has to be pleased. Riding Grade C+ Gear Grade: B

10TH Place-Jake “I’m glad Dungey did not stuff me this time” Weimer: Do you think the people running Answer know that ANSR is not a word? I know these home schooled kids that don’t make it need a job, but seriously. Every time I see it, I want to take Johnny O’s boot gator and smack someone in the face with it. Somewhere in Santa Rosa, Micky Dymond is ashamed… Riding Grade C- Gear Grade: Do you have to ask the ansr?
|
SoCalMX70
1/19/2014 10:00am
Awesome summary! Love your take on it. Just not sure I agree with your title Tongue .... I was at Angel Stadium last night, and I was there at A2 in 2001. Watching RC and MC battle with the entire crowd standing from start to finish is something I'll never forget. MC was my favorite rider then, Reed is now... so it is a tough choice! Wink
philG
1/19/2014 10:01am
spot on as always...
Sandberm
1/19/2014 10:18am
Good stuff. I enjoyed the "5 Bradshaws" ramking system.

The Shop

Grizz
1/19/2014 10:21am
At least someone posts some good shit post-race.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
1/19/2014 10:32am
Round of applause sir. Excellent write up and you and I are on the same page about most of those grades. Except I give Dungey an A. Yeah he didn't win and sometimes Lady Luck is just on her period but I love the aggression and speed. I was doubtful he would be willing to step it up and fight for it, and damn is he ever fighting for it. I would rather see him fight and loose than give up and loose anyway.

RV did famously say before the season started that Dungey is just always right there. Dungey just showed him what RIGHT THERE means. And wasn't it fitting that the Dunge was wearing retro 1989ish Damon Bradshaw gear? Had he been wearing the red color way that Tickle had on it would've been perfect!
Tumblin
1/19/2014 10:36am
Great recap, but I'm a pushover for that apple they gave me last night, they all get A's
Thelen20
1/19/2014 10:43am
And another good read from a quality poster! Imagine how much better this place would be if everyone gave posting this much thought
JW381
1/19/2014 10:44am
Good stuff, I'm still coming down from last night.

Super pumped for Reed for winning in the most convincing fashion of probably his career (save for Daytona '05, maybe). Pumped for James for keeping strong and consistent, but annoyed by the cold excuse. Happy for the rest of the guys for putting in their all for the fans and riding hard and staying healthy despite a few moments that coulda been bad. I'm way stoked to see Dungey riding angry, I just hope it doesn't become such a focus for him that he forgets to do his own "smooth operator" game.

Overall, amazing night of racing, the points chase is tight, we've had three great rounds, two great original tracks and even A2 was pretty good for what it was. This has to be the best Supercross season thru 3 rounds ever, right?
jeffro503
1/19/2014 10:45am
Holy batman's underpants Tony! Great write up.....and very well thought out brotha!
RonSkj
Fantasy
131st
1/19/2014 10:49am
Just visited your blog site.. good write up are nothing new to you.
AZ35
Fantasy
544th
1/19/2014 10:53am
Quality work, excellent overview- and hilarious!

Keep it up, thanks for taking the time to entertain us!
1/19/2014 11:08am
Good read. Very happy for Chad too.

Not on the list but I was expecting a little more than an 11th from Justin Barcia. I think most people would agree that he definitely belongs at the sharp end of the field (top 5 -3 at least). Had a crappy start and then with all the action up front, we never heard any more from him. Perhaps a crash etc.
Outsider
1/19/2014 11:16am
Thelen20 wrote:
And another good read from a quality poster! Imagine how much better this place would be if everyone gave posting this much thought
Hey man.. somebody had to make the snide remarks!! Whistling
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
1/19/2014 11:28am
I love it . Im Starting to look forward to this .everyweek
Now I just want my boy dungey to win one!

Although with how awsome as this year has been
so far with three winner in 3 races I wouldnt change
a thing
450crf_732
1/19/2014 11:42am
The only post I read all the way through great job!
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
1/19/2014 12:20pm
Way to go Tony. Great read. Love it.
1/19/2014 12:40pm
tblazier wrote:
Sweet Mary Mother of Moto was that one awesomely amazing night of racing! Hell, I was pretty much satisfied after Dunge’s man berries dropped in the...
Sweet Mary Mother of Moto was that one awesomely amazing night of racing! Hell, I was pretty much satisfied after Dunge’s man berries dropped in the first heat and he started going all Bradshaw on everyone. The dude was froggie last night and just looking to jump. Little did I know that was just an appetizer salad to a main course of Supercross thrills, spills and chills.

On top of all that great racing, we had the retro night, which is right in my wheelhouse as you might imagine. I totally love stuff like this that mixes things up and adds a little spice and it was great to see some of the teams get behind it. A major bravo to Team Honda, JGR, Crossland Motorsports and all the other guys who donned retro gear and even a few crazy seventies numbers. I would also like to send a major raspberry to all the teams that stuck to the same old, same old and just ran their usual kit. Would it have killed Kawasaki to be green again for ONE NIGHT? Sure, their bike might not look like the same stupid Monster can it has since 2007, but come on! Have a little fun for poop’s sake. Everyone knows you can’t go full retard and win an Oscar, but you can go full retro and win the hearts of millions (ok maybe hundreds, but still).

Here are my thoughts on probably my favorite night of racing in the history of EVER.

1st Place- Chad “Write off this” Reed: First of all, I want to preface things by stating that I am indeed a total Chad Reed homer. I have pulled for him since he got here and love the guy’s heart and determination. I pulled for him against the nearly unbeatable RC and Stewart, and I have pulled for against the litany of other guys he has had to face in the last decade plus. Yes, I was incredibly cheesed off when he went all pussy and bailed on the outdoors, but I stood by my man nonetheless. I nearly died when he hit the Chad-a-pult and damn near cried when he cartwheeled at Dallas two years ago. I love motocross, so I always enjoy it no matter who wins, but I really care when it involves Chad. For whatever reason, he is my guy, and will be so until he hangs up that #22.

That said, even I had my doubts CR22 would ever hit the top step again. First of all, he was pretty much not great last year and second of all, he was pretty much not great last year. Plus he is old, stubborn, finicky, running his own team, has a kid, is richer than Midas and blah blah blah…. Well you know what? I was wrong. I was dead wrong. And holly s%#@! balls am I glad to admit it.

Last night, Chad showed that he may indeed be the most mentally tough man ever to race in this sport. Since 2002, Chad has been up against some of the greatest riders the sport has ever seen and every one has had his number. He has been beaten over and over, but never let that defeat him mentally. To keep fighting and believing in yourself, after all that, is a rare gift and probably more important than the great physical gifts Chad has been blessed with. Lots of dudes are fast, but very few are as tough and doggedly tenacious as number 22. He really is one of a kind, and I count myself lucky to have been able to watch him over the years. Thanks again for the ride. Riding Grade: A+++++++++++(Seriously, what do you think I was going to give him? I was going to give him more, but I ran out of pluses.) Gear Grade: A (loved the Emig inspired retro Shift threads. It could have used a little more camo, but I’ll allow it).

2nd place- James “Hey, that’s my foot” Stewart: This was a very solid ride by the formerly fastest man on the planet. He inherited the lead when my other man crush, Dungey, huck-a-bucked himself out of the driver’s seat and looked like a shoe-in for the win. To be honest, however, even then I had my doubts about whether James could hold on for the win. Whenever I watch him, I am just waiting like a kid turning a Jack-in-the-box. Dut-tadut-ta-dudaly-dute-SPRONG!

At any point, the crash may come, but to his credit, JS7 kept it on two wheels last night. This in spite of two pretty aggressive moves by RV and a pretty blatant attempt to steal his oh-so-minty boots (maybe RV needed to freshen his breath). James was really lucky not to break something or twist a knee in that exchange. After that, it still looked like he might hold on, but for maybe the third time in twelve years, he was not as fast as Chad Reed. That was the race, plain and simple. Stew just did not have the Aussie covered this night and the Universes got put on their head.

Still, a second is very solid and he is actually not out of the title fight in spite of a DNF at A1. Overall, it was a very good night for Suzuki and the ripped one. Riding Grade: B+ (No Crazy Balls, but no yard sale either) Gear Grade: B- (Not loving the whole schmedium thing James has going on this year, but I actually liked the black and yellow colorway)

3rd place- Kenny “My English is better than yours” Roczen: Hello red plate, my old friend, it is nice to have you back. Last night was a solid performance by Zee German. At one point I thought it was going to be his race to win, but then he seemed to tighten up and got gobbled up by the Twotwo Express. He certainly looked fast and capable of winning. Personally I think the Red Bull buzz wore off on about lap 14 and then he hit the wall. Whatever the reason, it was a nice podium finish and enough to take back that pretty red plate. Plus, his Fox gear looked badass, so there is that. Riding Grade: B Gear Grade: A

4th place- Justin “Captain Retro” Brayton: OK, now this is how you do retro. JGR hit it out of the park with this 70’s bumblebee get up (Big win! When was the last time anyone looked at a Yamaha and did anything but scratch their head?). Personally, I think Yamaha should bring back this look as at least an optional color. It always looks cool and really resonates with the only demographic with enough money to actually afford a 450 four-stroke these days. When you added in Brayton’s old school gear, you had by far the best look of retro night.

As to Cele-Brayton’s riding, I thought he rode very well once again. His heat race win was exciting to watch and showed that last week was no fluke. He did a great job holding off RV, then got passed and passed him back for the win! #Awesome

The main did not go as well with a so-so start, but he kept his head down, stayed out of the carnage and carded a very good fourth. Overall, this was a great night for JGR with a heat win (and sweet look) and now Justin is only five points out of the series lead! Riding Grade: A+ (Heat) B (Main) Gear Grade: A retrotastic A+

5th Place- Ryan “Pardon me, is that your boot?” Villopoto: Bit of a rough night for the champ. First, his team totally sucks a big one by not going full retro, then he tries to steal Stew’s boot (unsuccessfully), then he gets torpedoed by the second coming of Damon Bradshaw. Overall, it was a pretty bummer of an evening by the gingeriest leprechaun in moto. Oh well, there is always next week to smash everyone’s will again. Riding Grade: C+ Gear Grade: C (No retro-BOOOOOOOO)

6th Place- Ryan “ You want some of me punk?” Dungey: WHOA NELLY! Where in the name of man friends did this come from? It would appear Dungey is tired of everyone from Matthes to Kelly Rippa busting his balls about not being aggressive enough. Last night, the guy rode like he had a scorpion in his Feeguns. Torpedo Tickle-check. Ram Ryan-double check! Win race….well, we may have to work on that part of the equation.

Early on, it looked like this might be the Dungenator’s night to zero in on a victory. Then his targeting computer went all haywire and he started careening off stuff. Oh well, he still got to tell all the pit pundits to suck it and Roger to get off his back. Plus he executed a nearly perfect pick-up pass on the redheaded munchkin so he got my vote. With the top five only 5 points apart, this is still anybody’s game. Did I mention I love this sport? Riding Grade: C (Should have had the win, but pooped the bed) Aggressiveness Grade: 5 Bradshaw’s Gear Grade: A- (Not really retro, but very nice none the less)

7th Place- Weston “Everything he hits, he destroys” Peick: Awesome ride by The Nihilist to seventh place. On a night were Reed won, it is fitting his archenemy from last year should have a good night as well. This was a major bounce back (pun intended) for Peick who tried to teach Phoenix who was the boss last week by pounding the bejesus out of the track with his linebacker’s physique. It was a great showing for the guy who just does not give a f&%#. Riding Grade: A Gear Grade: B+ (bonus points for the sweet retro yellow and blue Zook)

8th Place- Josh “It’s my turn to make the main this week “ Hill: Wow, it really was a retro night last night, Josh hill won something (Semi) and made the top ten. J-law must have been rolling a car somewhere in tribute. Smoke ‘em if ya got’em!

I like Josh and am happy to see him have a solid finish. It would be nice for RCH if both their guys could make the main on the same night, but it appeared the Universes had Tickle in their sights last night. Oh well, maybe next week. Riding Grade: B Gear Grade: B

9th Place- Andrew “Bubba Burger” Short: Another top ten for Shorty and he is only four points back from Twilight Sparkle (What in the hell was with Barcia’s get up last night? He looked like someone rolled him in yogurt and then barfed French fries all over him. The dude just can’t stop giving) in seventh for the title chase. It would be nice if he could maybe win a semi to get a little face time with the cameras, but overall BTO has to be pleased. Riding Grade C+ Gear Grade: B

10TH Place-Jake “I’m glad Dungey did not stuff me this time” Weimer: Do you think the people running Answer know that ANSR is not a word? I know these home schooled kids that don’t make it need a job, but seriously. Every time I see it, I want to take Johnny O’s boot gator and smack someone in the face with it. Somewhere in Santa Rosa, Micky Dymond is ashamed… Riding Grade C- Gear Grade: Do you have to ask the ansr?
What do you do for a living?
tblazier
1/19/2014 1:37pm
I run a Chevy store in Jersey as my day job.
TheWeapon
Fantasy
68th
1/19/2014 3:15pm
Thanks man, what a great read. "Torpedoed by the second coming of Damon Bradshaw" made me chuckle. That was great!
daemon616
1/19/2014 3:42pm
Great recap. I agree Yammy should go back to that look. I love it.
brlatm
1/19/2014 3:45pm
Excellent write up Tony!
wildbill
1/19/2014 3:53pm
"smoke em if you got em"... WinkLaughing
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
1/19/2014 5:01pm
So well written Blazier..Smile You need to do this every weekend!Woohoo
Hank_Thrill
1/19/2014 6:39pm
Great race recap, once again.

Outside of Reed, his family, and team, I was pumped for you knowing how big of a fan you are.

Man, that night was spectacular.
1/19/2014 6:41pm
It was a good race, but best ever? Big. Fat. Negative. I can name off at least 5 that were better, the obvious being Anaheim '86.

Post a reply to: Time for my thoughts on the greatest night of racing in the history of ever- A2 The Resurrection of Reed

The Latest