Time for a new sanctioning body?

Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2511th
2/5/2019 7:30pm
With all the shit that is carried around by Feld, ama and fim why not start a new sanctioning body? I've seen some other motor sports get away from established promoters with a more organic approach that is developed by those who are truly vested in the sport and have some success
|
BR8ES
2/5/2019 7:34pm
like Insport SX back in the old days? Are there enough "resources" for this?
500guy
2/5/2019 7:37pm
You lost me at Organic
GIwasB4
2/5/2019 7:42pm
500guy wrote:
You lost me at Organic
You know, like free range eggs and lettuce wraps

The Shop

GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
2/5/2019 7:43pm
Not sure we need a CART/IRL type situation.
slipdog
2/5/2019 8:03pm
The PLRA has a nice ring to it!
Gregory
2/5/2019 8:27pm
GuyB wrote:
Not sure we need a CART/IRL type situation.
Thing with CART/IRL was there were teams willing to split, haven’t heard anything like that in MX.
2/5/2019 8:44pm
With all the shit that is carried around by Feld, ama and fim why not start a new sanctioning body? I've seen some other motor sports...
With all the shit that is carried around by Feld, ama and fim why not start a new sanctioning body? I've seen some other motor sports get away from established promoters with a more organic approach that is developed by those who are truly vested in the sport and have some success
Downvoted for ANOTHER lame thread.
RandyS
2/5/2019 9:52pm
I'm rewatching the mini series Harley and The Davidsons right now. If the depiction of the AMA is accurate, not a lot has changed in 90 years. My dad became a life member in the 70s which was 25 or 30 years of continuous membership and I was heading there until I really started paying attention to what they are about. AMA should have been ran out of town years ago.
kkawboy14
2/6/2019 3:17am Edited Date/Time 2/6/2019 3:20am
With all the shit that is carried around by Feld, ama and fim why not start a new sanctioning body? I've seen some other motor sports...
Feld doesn’t need any sanctioning body! Riders would follow the money and the stadiums!

Imagine if they took the AMA and FIMs money and just gave it straight to the riders.

Hire 1 referee from the AMA, you know the guy who loses his job when the ama/FIM loses the contracts!
2/6/2019 3:22am
slipdog wrote:
Peoples liberated racer alliance. Stamp it.
motogrady
2/6/2019 4:50am Edited Date/Time 2/6/2019 4:54am
Well, it's a lot of work.
It takes a lot of money.
Hell, a lot of it is just having the right connections.
And you can't just go out and buy goodwill.

Someone has to line up the tracks. Someone has to line up the lawyers and get the insurance for the events. Someone has to put up a purse, or make it worthwhile for top level guys to wanna run.
Someone has to promote it. Someone has to write a rule book. someone has to make the deals with every landowner or stadium for each event. Which will all have to jive with some kind of realistic schedule. One assumes this new series will offer health and accident insurance for the riders. Someone will have to line that up and pay for it.
Someone will have to organize a tech inspection team and track workers. Someone one will have to organize parking people. Someone will have to line up some kind of security at the gates. Someone will have to take in the money. Someone one will have to account for the money. Someone will have to order and get the trophies. Someone will have to get the girl to kiss the winners. There will have to be an announcer. Who will do that? Someone one will have to build a podium. Someone will have to have a truck to transport the podium from race to race.
Someone will have to build and tear down the podium at each event.
Someone will have to build the track. Someone will have to line up 2 ambulances st each event. Someone will have to clean up each venue of all the trash at each event.

Who's gonna gamble and pay for all of that?

And really, the big obstacle to overcome, imo, is why your series is worth more, to everyone, than what is running now?
Jeremy McGrath never ran or won a Championship in your series. Or RC. Or Brad Lackey. Or DeCoster.
There is no baseline to compare who wins today to who won on the past.

That's why nobody does it.
Johnny Depp
2/6/2019 5:49am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Feld doesn’t need any sanctioning body! Riders would follow the money and the stadiums! Imagine if they took the AMA and FIMs money and just gave...
Feld doesn’t need any sanctioning body! Riders would follow the money and the stadiums!

Imagine if they took the AMA and FIMs money and just gave it straight to the riders.

Hire 1 referee from the AMA, you know the guy who loses his job when the ama/FIM loses the contracts!
This. Sanctioning bodies are overated. The promoter's are the one's doing everything.
2/6/2019 8:17am
You can't have a separate national series if the FIM already has a sanctioned series. Soooo, it would have to be Feld that breaks out their deal to who they use as a sanctioning body. We cannot start another series and be like "oh hey, AMA come join us" since the FIM has the series.
motogrady
2/6/2019 9:03am
You can't have a separate national series if the FIM already has a sanctioned series. Soooo, it would have to be Feld that breaks out their...
You can't have a separate national series if the FIM already has a sanctioned series. Soooo, it would have to be Feld that breaks out their deal to who they use as a sanctioning body. We cannot start another series and be like "oh hey, AMA come join us" since the FIM has the series.
Not true. Anyone can start a national series.

Remember the USFL?
MOTO732
2/6/2019 9:32am
The best riders will go wherever the most money is. Look at Monster Cup. If you run a series that pays enough, people will race it and fans will attend.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
2/6/2019 9:35am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Feld doesn’t need any sanctioning body! Riders would follow the money and the stadiums! Imagine if they took the AMA and FIMs money and just gave...

^^^^^
mauidex
2/6/2019 10:00am
I could very easily be wrong but I think the major issue, as far as SX goes, is FELD has a lock on all the stadiums due to Monster Jam.UnsureUnsure
Robgvx
2/6/2019 10:01am
Yes, Feld could dump the FIM & AMA* and start their own breakaway series. They could dump WADA too by doing that, so that the riders could take whatever they wanted.

(*Note that the FIM and AMA are a package, with the AMA being the FIM's little brother. You're not going to split that relationship).

However, good luck to Feld in getting manufacturer support or any top riders for their new series. The OEM's have too much investment in the FIM in terms of other racing series' and activities to dump the entire relationship over supercross (let alone over message board gripes). So I doubt there will be any factory teams in Feld's new breakaway supercross series.

There's nothing stopping the top riders from independently 'following the money' across to Feld's new megabucks supercross series but they'd be doing it without OEM contracts. So I doubt that'll happen.

Jspazz
2/6/2019 10:18am
mauidex wrote:
I could very easily be wrong but I think the major issue, as far as SX goes, is FELD has a lock on all the stadiums...
I could very easily be wrong but I think the major issue, as far as SX goes, is FELD has a lock on all the stadiums due to Monster Jam.UnsureUnsure
Exactly.

This weekend, Monster Jam runs four events this weekend in four different cities.
The weekend after - six events in six cities:
Worcester, Massachusetts
Oakland, California
Cleveland, Ohio
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Miami, Florida

Looking at the schedule there's 95 Monster Jam events Feld will run until the end of May.

Which series really pays for the dirt? Not supercross. Think someone can run any breakaway series without owning these stadium dates and the dirt that goes in there?
RichieW13
Fantasy
2889th
2/6/2019 10:26am
kkawboy14 wrote:

Yes, Feld could easily continue on without AMA. I assume all the stadium and TV contracts are with Feld, and AMA is not a part in them.

But what would be Feld's incentive? I assume Feld pays a licensing fee to AMA, but is it significant? I'm guessing it's not a huge amount. I'm sure they have a good thing going now, and there's no reason to rock the boat.
ProKawi24
2/6/2019 10:46am
motogrady wrote:
Well, it's a lot of work. It takes a lot of money. Hell, a lot of it is just having the right connections. And you can't...
Well, it's a lot of work.
It takes a lot of money.
Hell, a lot of it is just having the right connections.
And you can't just go out and buy goodwill.

Someone has to line up the tracks. Someone has to line up the lawyers and get the insurance for the events. Someone has to put up a purse, or make it worthwhile for top level guys to wanna run.
Someone has to promote it. Someone has to write a rule book. someone has to make the deals with every landowner or stadium for each event. Which will all have to jive with some kind of realistic schedule. One assumes this new series will offer health and accident insurance for the riders. Someone will have to line that up and pay for it.
Someone will have to organize a tech inspection team and track workers. Someone one will have to organize parking people. Someone will have to line up some kind of security at the gates. Someone will have to take in the money. Someone one will have to account for the money. Someone will have to order and get the trophies. Someone will have to get the girl to kiss the winners. There will have to be an announcer. Who will do that? Someone one will have to build a podium. Someone will have to have a truck to transport the podium from race to race.
Someone will have to build and tear down the podium at each event.
Someone will have to build the track. Someone will have to line up 2 ambulances st each event. Someone will have to clean up each venue of all the trash at each event.

Who's gonna gamble and pay for all of that?

And really, the big obstacle to overcome, imo, is why your series is worth more, to everyone, than what is running now?
Jeremy McGrath never ran or won a Championship in your series. Or RC. Or Brad Lackey. Or DeCoster.
There is no baseline to compare who wins today to who won on the past.

That's why nobody does it.
I can't really see it happening but for arguments sake lets say that a new sanctioning body was created...filling many of those positions with ex-riders IMO would be a good start. They wouldn't have to be pros either but still people with the knowledge and passion for the sport. I haven't raced MX since my accident in 2001 but to this day I'm still a diehard. I'd give anything to have a career in moto even if it didn't pay big bucks. I'd imagine any new sanctioning body that was mostly ran/controlled by ex-riders would immediately have great appeal to any current pros and be able to provide fans with what they really want.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2511th
2/6/2019 11:47am Edited Date/Time 2/6/2019 11:50am
my thoughts were not necessarily strictly about SX, more to the sport as a whole. I feel that there is a serious need to shake up who is making rules and enforcing them. AMA has long been problematic and the partnership with the FIM since 2000's has only equally been an issue.

Looking at the sport as a whole, i see so many issues from the pro level down to local levels, having many different promoters, sanctioners or just local track owners all doing w/e fits their whims...basically too many people having too many different agenda's and not coming together.(not unlike how the teams at pro level need to come together to improve pro level racing)
RichieW13
Fantasy
2889th
2/6/2019 11:50am
my thoughts were not necessarily strictly about SX, more to the sport as a whole. I feel that there is a serious need to shake up...
my thoughts were not necessarily strictly about SX, more to the sport as a whole. I feel that there is a serious need to shake up who is making rules and enforcing them. AMA has long been problematic and the partnership with the FIM since 2000's has only equally been an issue.

Looking at the sport as a whole, i see so many issues from the pro level down to local levels, having many different promoters, sanctioners or just local track owners all doing w/e fits their whims...basically too many people having too many different agenda's and not coming together.(not unlike how the teams at pro level need to come together to improve pro level racing)
How would ANOTHER sanctioning body help that?
early
Fantasy
2139th
2/6/2019 12:39pm
Robgvx wrote:
Yes, Feld could dump the FIM & AMA* and start their own breakaway series. They could dump WADA too by doing that, so that the riders...
Yes, Feld could dump the FIM & AMA* and start their own breakaway series. They could dump WADA too by doing that, so that the riders could take whatever they wanted.

(*Note that the FIM and AMA are a package, with the AMA being the FIM's little brother. You're not going to split that relationship).

However, good luck to Feld in getting manufacturer support or any top riders for their new series. The OEM's have too much investment in the FIM in terms of other racing series' and activities to dump the entire relationship over supercross (let alone over message board gripes). So I doubt there will be any factory teams in Feld's new breakaway supercross series.

There's nothing stopping the top riders from independently 'following the money' across to Feld's new megabucks supercross series but they'd be doing it without OEM contracts. So I doubt that'll happen.

This guy gets it.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
2/6/2019 12:45pm
slipdog wrote:
Pure Lime Racing Association?
kage173
2/6/2019 5:28pm
You can't have a separate national series if the FIM already has a sanctioned series. Soooo, it would have to be Feld that breaks out their...
Why? And how can that be?
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
2/7/2019 1:20pm Edited Date/Time 2/7/2019 1:20pm
Is this because of the Lime?
There is nothing wrong with the way SX is being run. We should feel fortunate anyone wants to take on the task of renovating these stadiums week in and week out. Im nothing but impressed every time I go to a SX and see how well it is ran....flawless the majority of the time. Mother nature can screw up the best of plans

Post a reply to: Time for a new sanctioning body?

The Latest