Time for a new "The Man"?

cityjack
Edited Date/Time 7/5/2017 8:25pm
RedBud, a thing of beauty!

Yes we all know how great he was in his time and all the championships and mentoring and MXDN's hes led us to, but listening to an MXDN review from 16' with Mathes and the crew reminded me of what I've been thinking for a year or two now. I think its time for a change. The team needs some new inspiration.

No disrespect to "the man" at all. But times have and are changing and so are the riders. Most were not even alive during his reign. In most team sports, and MXDN is a team thing, when the team starts to suffer year after year, the change at the top is imminent. Whether the team is loaded with all stars or not. Which our teams always are. I am not saying anything in particular about any given team of ours over the past few years. They are all studs no doubt.

I think of it like this. Do you think a HS football team of this day and age, yes team, would respond better in a championship game to say someone like Lombardi or maybe to a Belichick, or better yet "Gronk". Gronk being a great player that PLAYERS can relate to? Hell, most of the HS players now never even knew who Lombardi is or was. My point is, when you want to impress or die for your coach because you knew and have seen him do as much, then you want to do the same.

Ricky could be our Gronk!

Smile

Don't hate. Just thinking out loud. And no, I'm not a Pats fan, strictly the fish.
|
mx317
7/1/2017 5:59pm
There will never be a new "The Man". He will be replaced someday, but only when he is ready.
cityjack
7/1/2017 6:08pm Edited Date/Time 7/1/2017 6:09pm
Fair enough. Who does the voting on these things? AMA? Please tell me no. Its ridiculous that someone can hang around just because they want to. Maybe as a consultant perhaps. New blood is not a bad thing.

Just saying.
7/1/2017 6:14pm
I doubt there's any voting, everyone probably just assumes Roger will manage it and leave it at that unless he says he doesn't want to.

Change could be good but its not like he's just picked bad teams, they generally send their best riders and it just hasn't been enough as of late unfortunately, other than last year where they should have won.

Definitely could be something to consider, though.
SwingHard
7/1/2017 6:27pm
cityjack wrote:
RedBud, a thing of beauty! Yes we all know how great he was in his time and all the championships and mentoring and MXDN's hes led...

Yes we all know how great he was in his time and all the championships and mentoring and MXDN's hes led us to, but listening to an MXDN review from 16' with Mathes and the crew reminded me of what I've been thinking for a year or two now. I think its time for a change. The team needs some new inspiration.

No disrespect to "the man" at all. But times have and are changing and so are the riders. Most were not even alive during his reign. In most team sports, and MXDN is a team thing, when the team starts to suffer year after year, the change at the top is imminent. Whether the team is loaded with all stars or not. Which our teams always are. I am not saying anything in particular about any given team of ours over the past few years. They are all studs no doubt.

I think of it like this. Do you think a HS football team of this day and age, yes team, would respond better in a championship game to say someone like Lombardi or maybe to a Belichick, or better yet "Gronk". Gronk being a great player that PLAYERS can relate to? Hell, most of the HS players now never even knew who Lombardi is or was. My point is, when you want to impress or die for your coach because you knew and have seen him do as much, then you want to do the same.

Smile

Don't hate. Just thinking out loud. And no, I'm not a Pats fan, strictly the fish.
This is a good point. Racers have definitely evolved. RC,Windham,or even Larocco could be our Gronk!
Hell,most H.S. coaches don't know the Legend of Lombardi!

The Shop

hellion
7/1/2017 6:37pm
Yeah, he's washed up. Look at the mess he's made of KTM since leaving Suzuki.
cityjack
7/1/2017 6:57pm
Building a brand is not coaching a team of elite athletes. He hand picked Dungey because he knew he could develop a bike with him. What was Dungey before Alden got ahold of him? If Roger could do it, then why didn't he? I am talking people, not machines.

I'm liking the input.
SCR
7/1/2017 7:16pm
The Man can't be replaced. And there is no one that knows more about winning races and running a team. He was the only one interested in taking a team to MXDN in 81 and if not for him the US wouldn't have had a 13 year win streak.
Can you name someone that would do a better job.

Also Dungey was a Multi time champion before Aldon starting helping him.
wreckitrandy
7/1/2017 8:08pm
SCR wrote:
The Man can't be replaced. And there is no one that knows more about winning races and running a team. He was the only one interested...
The Man can't be replaced. And there is no one that knows more about winning races and running a team. He was the only one interested in taking a team to MXDN in 81 and if not for him the US wouldn't have had a 13 year win streak.
Can you name someone that would do a better job.

Also Dungey was a Multi time champion before Aldon starting helping him.
Agreed. The very thought that he should be replaced is akin to motocross blasphemy.
stantdm
7/1/2017 9:12pm
It would be impossible to immediately replace Roger's ability to manage things. His record is incredible and we would be defending the MXDN this year except for JA21 getting landed on and CW2 falling over with a lap to go or so. Those things are not Roger's doing. He brings more to the table than anybody else I can think of could bring. Review what he did at Honda, Suzuki, and KTM and then look around for somebody in the same league with him. Thinking that the younger riders don't know what he has done and what his racing career was about is simply not true in my opinion. I believe he and Pro Circuits Mitch Payton are the ones who pick the team (with input from the AMA) and when riders don't want to go they pick the best that will go.

The thing that I love about DeCoster is he came over here and raced and then stayed to be involved in American racing. He was an important part of making American motocross racers the best in the world. He is 72 years old and won't be around the sport forever. Enjoy what we have while we have it.

Lester
7/1/2017 9:54pm
cityjack wrote:
RedBud, a thing of beauty! Yes we all know how great he was in his time and all the championships and mentoring and MXDN's hes led...

Smile

Go wash your mouth out with soap.
oldblood
7/1/2017 11:07pm
It's funny, I was just thinking the other day about how much Roger has been instrumental in the sport of mx in America and the world and I feel he hasn't been honored yet as he should be, and how great he is. Then I read this thread and it just makes me pissed off. There is no one more experienced or gifted than him.
JustMX
7/2/2017 3:55am
Lost a little respect for the man when he blamed the Japanese rider for the incident at mxon last year
Bultaco
7/2/2017 4:38am
You might argue for a new MXdN US Team Manager. But there is NO argument for another "The Man".
cityjack
7/2/2017 4:47am
I totally agree on Roger himself, never ever will be replaced. Its not a bad thing to wonder what if.

Change nobody ever likes until it works. Then everybody is on the wagon and saying I told you so.

He is a staple no doubt.
dkg
7/2/2017 7:48am
cityjack wrote:
I totally agree on Roger himself, never ever will be replaced. Its not a bad thing to wonder what if. Change nobody ever likes until it...
I totally agree on Roger himself, never ever will be replaced. Its not a bad thing to wonder what if.

Change nobody ever likes until it works. Then everybody is on the wagon and saying I told you so.

He is a staple no doubt.
Change for the sake of change is hardly a good rationale. Often change isn't what brings about the new result. Correlation doesn't equal causation. With that said, Roger is the best we have. He obviously connects with the riders, simply look at his track record in MX/SX. Recent MXDON experience is more likely related to the competition getting much closer, teams having the luck of 3 great riders all from the same nation and choices by our riders to participate or not as well as injury status at the time of the race. The MXDON being held so far after the end of our nationals also has a significant effect on outcome. So, which current individual do you think would inspire the riders more? Most riders now days are so surrounded by trainers, mental coaches, and their own enterouge that I doubt any of them rely on the team manager for inspiration to do well. If a rider goes to MXDON and isn't motivated to do well, the fault lies in the selection, not the manager present at the event. Just some thoughts . . . .
APLMAN99
7/2/2017 8:50am
cityjack wrote:

Smile

olds cool
7/2/2017 6:03pm
JustMX wrote:
Lost a little respect for the man when he blamed the Japanese rider for the incident at mxon last year
When I'm 72 I wish I could say "Well there was that ONE time when I MAY have been wrong" but I've got a ways to go and I've already used multiple mulligans. Silly

Roger has done enough for this sport that he should be able to do what he wants for as long as he wants. He gets it "right" waaay more often than not.
Tbteam
7/2/2017 6:17pm
When nobody else cared, when nobody else stepped up, The Man did.

He has the job until he says he doesn't want it. Period.
cityjack
7/2/2017 6:20pm
Alrighty then.

Good points made all around. Maybe we'll revisit at some point in the not so distant future.

Until then, we got us a series on our hands. Both classes.

Have a great week all
mxjon454
7/2/2017 6:55pm
cityjack wrote:
Fair enough. Who does the voting on these things? AMA? Please tell me no. Its ridiculous that someone can hang around just because they want to...
Fair enough. Who does the voting on these things? AMA? Please tell me no. Its ridiculous that someone can hang around just because they want to. Maybe as a consultant perhaps. New blood is not a bad thing.

Just saying.
How about the riders step up and ride better at the des nations? Or how about the riders take more interest and pride in being selected to represent their country. If we can bring Tomac (450), Osborne (250) and Bagget (Open class) we will win. The last few years we havent brought our "A" team and the last few times Dungey rode the des nations he didnt ride well at all. I dont think theres any reason that Decoster, who has more knowledge of the des nations needs to be replaced.
Bearuno
7/2/2017 7:19pm
Tbteam wrote:

This above.

Without that Belgian (not forgetting Dick Miller of MXA and, of course, a fair few others that really got behind your attendance), you Americans would have nothing like the MXDN / TrophyDN record you have now. And, probably, nothing like the Motocross 'scene' that you've had for decades.

Older blokes here would know all of this, but children tend not to learn of the past / think nothing of it.
KurtJ99
Fantasy
682nd
7/2/2017 7:51pm
Tbteam wrote:

^This.
Not his country, didn't need to do it. Risked his credibility by taking on fledgling US team.
Forget all his credentials as a rider and team manager; what he has contributed is enuff for lifetime employment.
Geez, did you ever think about if he decided he wasn't "feeling it" like some riders that have been asked to represent in the past?
PFitzG38
7/2/2017 8:38pm
Tbteam wrote:

^^This!!
Hut
7/2/2017 8:39pm
Tbteam wrote:

FACT!
PFitzG38
7/2/2017 8:43pm
Bearuno wrote:
This above. Without that Belgian (not forgetting Dick Miller of MXA and, of course, a fair few others that really got behind your attendance), you Americans...
This above.

Without that Belgian (not forgetting Dick Miller of MXA and, of course, a fair few others that really got behind your attendance), you Americans would have nothing like the MXDN / TrophyDN record you have now. And, probably, nothing like the Motocross 'scene' that you've had for decades.

Older blokes here would know all of this, but children tend not to learn of the past / think nothing of it.
Fair dinkum!
jeffro503
7/2/2017 9:16pm
cityjack wrote:
Fair enough. Who does the voting on these things? AMA? Please tell me no. Its ridiculous that someone can hang around just because they want to...

Just saying.
There is so much more to Roger than you know. Like , way more.

I hope he sticks around for a lot longer.
dirtnapper
7/3/2017 11:50am
JW381 wrote:
Wut
Yeah don't take this new "cityjack" dude too seriously.....his epic post history speaks for itself.

He thinks Izzi is an AWESOME guy.....Unsure
JW381
7/3/2017 12:05pm
JW381 wrote:
Wut
dirtnapper wrote:
Yeah don't take this new "cityjack" dude too seriously.....his epic post history speaks for itself.

He thinks Izzi is an AWESOME guy.....Unsure
Duly noted!

Post a reply to: Time for a new "The Man"?

The Latest