Tightest budget build you've ever seen.

Foster419
Okay so ill start with some background then hop into where i am now with pictures.

Before going to university to try and better my life (isn't turning out quite that way but i should have expected some of that) i rode some motocross where I could, local tracks where hard to come by in Ontario(and still are), and i did some amateur racing through CMRC although I was never any good, i still had a blast. coming from a "not so well off" family all my money for both bikes and my pick-up truck was made through jobs i had in high school (mostly fast food and roofing) which was great until i moved away to school which ultimately forced me to stop riding since school was about a 6 hour drive away one way. I had a 2008 RM-Z 250 which slept in the shed at my parents for about 2 years from the time i left school until the time it was stolen, which basically put me out 3-4000 dollars Canadian at the time and forced me to really stop dirt bikes until i was done my degree. Which brings me to the point.

I got involved with a race car team at school that designs and builds an open wheel formula style cars using less than 610 cc motorcycle engines. From them I bought a whole 2013 SX-F 450 FE minus engine and most of another 2013 non FE for $2800 CAD and then i bought (what the guy said) was a complete engine, electronics, carb, and exhaust off of a 2006 SXF 450 with a hole in the head for $350 CAD.

The engine turned out to be a 2007 525 which the guy had no idea because it was used in a go kart he said but none the less here are some photos of where i'm at with the bike and my shed full of parts!

Go ahead with chirps, I think its just as absurd as you probably do. Also its obvious the "custom fab job" on the frame isn't finished my buddy with the TIG welder had a wedding to go to.
|
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
8/7/2016 7:42pm
Bro..... you can't leave that frame like that..... I don't care how much welding he does.
8/7/2016 7:46pm Edited Date/Time 8/7/2016 7:53pm
I love your effort, but please be careful on that thing. I wouldn't be too confident in those welds holding up in moto.

The Shop

colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
8/7/2016 7:53pm
I use to help out with the formula SAE team at school. If the guys on your team are anything like the guys at mine.... do not show them that frame. You will get hung.
Foster419
8/7/2016 8:00pm
No, it's kinda "build as you go" fab so the square tube will be capped, the other side will be added and a plethora of gussets are in the mix as well.

Definitely only doing flat track, and sand pits with that one, I'm thinking this will turn into two bikes but I don't know yet. It might seem strong enough I'm gonna try and be a little less sceptical.
Foster419
8/7/2016 8:04pm
colintrax wrote:
I use to help out with the formula SAE team at school. If the guys on your team are anything like the guys at mine.... do...
I use to help out with the formula SAE team at school. If the guys on your team are anything like the guys at mine.... do not show them that frame. You will get hung.
Ahaha my team is a little bit backyards with some stuff, the frame got chopped by a member and used as mounts in an engine test when we were switching to 450. It's being welded by another member and myself but its his welder.
Foster419
8/7/2016 8:08pm
IMHO Sketchy!!!!! I wouldn't jump that thing at all
I hear you, especially since it's chromoly not mild so brittle fracture is likely scenario. However internet tells me if it's less than 1/8" thick it doesn't need heat treatment.
dmm698
8/7/2016 8:10pm Edited Date/Time 8/7/2016 8:11pm
colintrax wrote:
I use to help out with the formula SAE team at school. If the guys on your team are anything like the guys at mine.... do...
Was an SAE clean sled guy, I spent quite a bit of time with the formula and baja guys because our shops were close to each other, and I couldn't agree more with you. That just looks like a train wreck waiting to happen. Before you hurt yourself plug that into comsol or anysys or whatever FEA you have access to and you will probably be pretty frightened.
Foster419
8/7/2016 8:26pm
colintrax wrote:
dmm698 wrote:
Was an SAE clean sled guy, I spent quite a bit of time with the formula and baja guys because our shops were close to each...
Was an SAE clean sled guy, I spent quite a bit of time with the formula and baja guys because our shops were close to each other, and I couldn't agree more with you. That just looks like a train wreck waiting to happen. Before you hurt yourself plug that into comsol or anysys or whatever FEA you have access to and you will probably be pretty frightened.
Well honestly the welds I'm not as worried about as much as what I'm doing to get around the header. As well since the engine is usually a stressed member from the top with a bracket that used to bolt to the top of the head on the original motor.

I think after I've added the material where I'm thinking it won't be so bad. As it sits right now it will blow apart almost immediately.

FEA is really only going to be accurate to the structure, the welds are too inconsistent to get any reliable data out of modelling with them.

But yes the fear is real it's really looking like a death machine.
fullfloater
Fantasy
10th
8/7/2016 8:33pm
I'm not sure I like what you've done with the graphics but otherwise Looks good!
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
8/7/2016 8:34pm Edited Date/Time 8/7/2016 8:37pm
Im just trying to make sense of how that is crammed in a corner, standing up, and on a new bike/chassis.

Or is that just your laboratory, Dr.Victor?
early
Fantasy
2212th
8/7/2016 9:19pm
Just when you think vital has gotten a little boring Laughing

Good luck with that. If i were you i would part out your pieces on ebay and buy a complete bike that was built by a factory, but thats just me.
BAMX
8/7/2016 9:33pm
Those welds look sketchy
c0ncEpT
8/7/2016 10:05pm
Hail Mary, full of grace. Our Lord is with thee.

Well at least I hope for your sake he's with you...
8/7/2016 10:23pm Edited Date/Time 8/7/2016 10:25pm
So this is what they call a chop shop!

And you need to change the title from tightest to most dangerous build ever!
scooter5002
8/7/2016 10:30pm
If you have gone to university, and can't see everything wrong with that, there's nothing anyone can do for you. Here's a little advice: if you want to live long enough to collect a pension, take that piece of shit to the scrap bin, and drop it in. Leave it there.
8/7/2016 10:53pm
Step 1) be OP

Step 2) understand nothing about structural integrity

Step 3) construct this contraption

Step 4) die
8/7/2016 11:27pm
early wrote:
Just when you think vital has gotten a little boring :laugh: Good luck with that. If i were you i would part out your pieces on...
Just when you think vital has gotten a little boring Laughing

Good luck with that. If i were you i would part out your pieces on ebay and buy a complete bike that was built by a factory, but thats just me.
This^^^^^^^^

It's like seeing a little kid standing on the roof top with a bed sheet for a parachute.

"I'm not really concerned about the welds" Ain't that the fucking truth!!!!

and it's going to make it into HOF builds for all the wrong reasons.

Rizzo
8/8/2016 12:04am
In California, cost for an abortion range from $750-$3250. In Canada, its $800 because of the subsidized healthcare. This is far from "budget", since you live in CAN, I'd say you definitely overpaid for your abortion.
tobz
8/8/2016 12:19am
I'm so confused
8/8/2016 2:22am
I'll wait to judge it until it's finished. The 525 engine is very smooth so that should be a good engine for you.

Seems like buying a 125 would have been simpler but I too like a challenge so go for it. Post up when's when complete.

Post a reply to: Tightest budget build you've ever seen.

The Latest