Tib/Fib recovery time

sdjeff
11/16/2017 9:06pm Edited Date/Time 11/17/2017 5:40am
6 weeks ago I was at the track and was doing my sight lap and came to the last jump of the lap. It's usually just a small 15-20 ft table for scrubbing. I brain-farted and scrubbed the jump like normal but they added another 10 feet to it. I landed sideways on top, swapped the opposite way off the down side and landed at the bottom. I'm not sure what happened then or how I landed but I ended up having a clean break on my tib and fib. They straightened out the leg the first day and went into surgery the next day to get my tib plated and a nail put through my fib. The doc says I should be able to start walking on it in 6 more weeks (12 weeks total from the surgery). I'm curious what anyone else's recovery time was to get back on the bike. I've been going through a bad break up during this along with Oxy withdrawals, the flu, inability to sleep or eat and I'd pretty much do anything to get back on the bike to clear my head. Obviously I need to be patient but just want to get some kind of timeline in my head. Any other advice welcome too.

Day of:

2 weeks after surgery:

6 weeks after surgery(Tuesday):

|
oldblood
11/16/2017 9:41pm
Get well soon bro,don't rush it.
TallonT911
11/16/2017 10:09pm
i did my tib/fib and dislocated ankle, but mine is from someone running into my leg in the first turn.
i have the plate and screws on the outside of my leg and pin on the inside, so opposite from you. Mine healed quicker than expected, my doc released me to ride right when i got out of the walking boot (my doc is a racer and family friend so probably a little more aggressive than most). I was riding in about 10 weeks. Broke it late Oct, riding early Jan.
Youre not going to want to hear this, and i hope yours is better than mine but it took a solid year before i was confident stepping off a curb onto that leg. I'm about 2 years in now and its pretty good, i can do box jumps and land on it, if i go on a run it will be sore the next day still.
Good news is, in a boot it felt fine for the most part! and riding is how i got most my ankle flexibility back. Just had to get over the fear of putting my foot out for a corner or dabbing it and twisting it.

Hope the best for your recovery! Listen to the Dr, not worth the risk of coming back early imo.

kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
11/16/2017 10:12pm
^^^Right turn Clyde!Woohoo
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
11/16/2017 10:14pm
Heal up quick bud. Praying for you

The Shop

BAD10
11/17/2017 12:23am
sdjeff wrote:
6 weeks ago I was at the track and was doing my sight lap and came to the last jump of the lap. It's usually just...
6 weeks ago I was at the track and was doing my sight lap and came to the last jump of the lap. It's usually just a small 15-20 ft table for scrubbing. I brain-farted and scrubbed the jump like normal but they added another 10 feet to it. I landed sideways on top, swapped the opposite way off the down side and landed at the bottom. I'm not sure what happened then or how I landed but I ended up having a clean break on my tib and fib. They straightened out the leg the first day and went into surgery the next day to get my tib plated and a nail put through my fib. The doc says I should be able to start walking on it in 6 more weeks (12 weeks total from the surgery). I'm curious what anyone else's recovery time was to get back on the bike. I've been going through a bad break up during this along with Oxy withdrawals, the flu, inability to sleep or eat and I'd pretty much do anything to get back on the bike to clear my head. Obviously I need to be patient but just want to get some kind of timeline in my head. Any other advice welcome too.

Day of:

2 weeks after surgery:

6 weeks after surgery(Tuesday):

Hey Jeff. As I was reading your post I thought it all sounded too familiar. Then when I saw the x-rays I realized I'd seen them before! Your dad showed them to me when he told me about your crash. Take the time to heal up, though I know it can be frustrating. I did my tib fib 20 years ago and had surgery just like yours. I also dislocated my foot at the same time and tore all the tendons and ligaments. With all that it was 6 months before I could ride again and more than a year before it didn't hurt all the time. My guess is you should be able to ride around the 4 month mark. BTW, this is Brad, the guy that does all the body and paint on your dad's Ferrari and Porsche projects. We moto'd out at Cahuilla that one time a couple years ago.
AJK
11/17/2017 3:27am
I broke my left tib and fib a little over 2 years ago. I had a bad sideways swap in a high speed 4th gear whoop section, I jumped over the handlebar after I realized that I can't save it anymore and landed on my left leg. Next day they put a nail through the tib and some screws. I could ride again after 6 months but it took about a year before I could ride pain-free. Most of the pain went away after they removed some screws from the ankle. But even now if I go for a run it is sore afterwards.
Springcreek
11/17/2017 5:37am Edited Date/Time 11/17/2017 5:40am
Did my Tib/fib riding at age 52, happened in July 2010, had surgery that put in a tib rod and screws, no walking for 6 weeks, started riding in September of that year, still riding and racing every Millville Super Series race at age 59, still have the rod and screws. lower leg is larger on that side and have some slight pain sometimes but can ride and I run 3 to 5 miles with no problem. ran 2 5k's this past year.

Had the surgery on a Monday and quit the drugs on Thursday.

Good luck, have a positive attitude and you can recover 100%.

This is from my 59th birthday at Millville this year.

Post a reply to: Tib/Fib recovery time

The Latest