Ti bolt kits

Related:
Create New Tag

1/31/2021 7:04 AM

Does anyone know the approximate weight saving by using a full ti bolt kit on a 2021 KTM 125sx. I am talking axles, swingarm bolt, everything

Cheers
Kez

|

1/31/2021 9:07 AM

2lb max

|

1/31/2021 9:16 AM

dbx33 wrote:

2lb max

Not even close.

It’s 1.5 lbs loss for the ti axles and pivot alone.
Another 1.5lbs for ti brake rotors from race tech titanium.

Then add the doc wobb full ti bolt kit they’ve said they’re kit saves about 3lbs as well.

From there I’d order the larger bolts from race tech like the triple clamp bolts, linkage bolts, shock bolts etc.

Also guts phantom foam and Pirelli tires are lighter than most other tires.

|

1/31/2021 9:18 AM

I feel I could loose 2 lbs off my belly for cheaper that 3500$

|

1/31/2021 9:59 AM

r.sal923 wrote:

I feel I could loose 2 lbs off my belly for cheaper that 3500$

That Isn’t the question or the topic tho is it?

|

1/31/2021 10:43 AM

If you are set on spending money on Ti but want to keep the cost down go for the big stuff, axles, pivot, engine mounts, shock mounts, linkage bolts and linkage bushings.
The 6,8,10mm stuff doesn’t add up.
Plus for plastics and low stress you should use aluminum not ti.

Light weight seat foam is a great bang for buck.

For reference off my own scale.
rear axle .25 pound
2 link bolts .19 pound
lower shock 9 grams
The rest of the bike in Ti 6,8,10 bolts estimate .50 pound

Light weight seat with Ti mounts 2.76 pounds

|

1/31/2021 11:03 AM

Big picture: It is pretty impressive that our machinery and sport has evolved from literally unbolting the lights from a streetbike to needing to spend half the value of a stock motorcycle on NASA materials just to lose 2 lbs.

|

1/31/2021 11:50 AM

dbx33 wrote:

2lb max

yz133rider wrote:

Not even close.

Another 1.5lbs for ti brake rotors from race tech ...more

No way in my experience which was very close to what Zesiger stated. I have an old thread on here that documents the weight lost for each part when I built a 218 pound 2012 CRF450.

Every bolt, axle, pivot was replaced with titanium. The savings from the bolts was only 2.05 lbs. The front axle only saved me 0.22lbs. Swing arm pivot was .18lbs. Rear axle was also very disappointing. The HRC titanium foot pegs saved me .42 pounds.

The biggest savings (and the cheapest) was the FMF titanium exhaust (3.12lbs!!!!), Think seat foam was 0.86 lbs saved but hard as a rock to ride with (Guts lightweight foam much more comfy), titanium shock spring was 1.18lb savings, Carbon fiber tank was 0.62 lbs saved, Geico Honda hubs were 0.35lbs saved.

Titanium is now a lot cheaper, but still not the best way to save weight on a budget.

|

1/31/2021 11:58 AM

dbx33 wrote:

2lb max

yz133rider wrote:

Not even close.

Another 1.5lbs for ti brake rotors from race tech ...more

Tokyo_Tiddler wrote:

No way in my experience which was very close to what Zesiger stated. I have an old thread on here that documents the weight ...more

This is from race tech titanium’s website.

Photo
Photo

|

1/31/2021 12:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/31/2021 1:00 PM

I also like technological gains.

But one thing very important to consider is also the durability. Spending 5k, why not, you just have to know it is for very limited amount of time. A full ti kits on axels are not forever, you have to replace them probably after 100 or 200 hours. And it is very important to know when to replace them as mechanicals make the biggest injuries.

If magnesium and titanium are not already on every oem bikes, I think it is not really for the cost but the durability and liability from it.

|

1/31/2021 1:03 PM

Question wrote:

I also like technological gains.

But one thing very important to consider is also the durability. Spending 5k, why not, you ...more

If you got enough $$ for ti bolts my guess is you got the coin to get a new bike before 100 hours or have multiple bikes.

|

2/2/2021 5:27 PM

My buddy built a 202 lb 2007 CRF450R. It’s no-shit 202 pounds straight up. We weighed it, otherwise I wouldn’t have believed it. You can go all around it with a magnet and there’s very little steel there. He started with the big stuff like Ti hardware (including a bunch of parts he fabricated himself), trimmed the plastic, carbon tank and one of those airbox /subframe combos that twinair had made back in the day. The wheelset utilizes fat bicycle tubes and lightweight starcross 5 sand tires mounted to relieved rims, titanium spokes and turned-down hubs. He replaced the spring forks with the much-hated 2013 CRF air fork that works terrible, but hey, they’re three pounds lighter. Then he went inside the engine and whittled down all the gears, shift drum, etc. He eliminated some stuff entirely such as the steel hose clamps and used titanium welding wire to safety wire them on instead. Forget about the steel lock ring on the shock when a piece of safety wire holds an aluminum preload ring in place. Of course the spring is Ti. No radiator grills, just twin air mesh. No fuel petcock and the fuel lines are even lighter. He is working on eliminating the fuel tank entirely and using the frame spars to hold fuel. I think it would be cool if the seat just went all the way up to the clamps like those 85 works Honda’s. Think tech seat foam and a home-made car upholstery fabric seat cover. No handlebar pad cover, just the foam and a zip tie. I donated some HRC magnesium cases that were corroded but he was able to repair. We found a factory Yoshimura exhaust that was pretty light as well. Even the frame and swing arm were whittled down and casting fixtures and extra material removed.

I thought it was ridiculous at first and then I rode it back-to-back with a stock 07 CRF450R and it was very noticeable. If it wasn’t for the brakes sucking due to the Ti rotors and harsh air forks I would have loved it. It was easy to move around and the engine felt faster even though it was stock. Acceleration was dramatically faster. Is any of this effort to drop weight necessary or even worth it? Probably not. He could have bought a new 450 for what he chose to spend on making his 14 year old CRF the lightest 450 around and it’s pretty neat in my opinion.

He has pics of the build process including the weights of all the parts compared to the stock stuff. He’s just not the type of dude that would take the time to post details on here. I’ll see if he will let me start a thread on it and share it with y’all. It’s pretty cool.

|

2/2/2021 10:15 PM

Screw the ti bolts. Buy the guts phantom seat foam and seat. You’ll save damn near the same weight with spending a couple thousand less.

|

2/3/2021 5:32 AM

Dirty Points wrote:

Big picture: It is pretty impressive that our machinery and sport has evolved from literally unbolting the lights from a ...more

I feel attacked 😂

|

2/3/2021 7:23 AM

Dm sent

|

themotolog.com The only offroad bike specific logbook available

2/3/2021 7:49 AM

I can take a dump before a race and lose that much weight for free!

|

2/3/2021 7:55 AM

kkawboy14 wrote:

I can take a dump before a race and lose that much weight for free!

Or you could lose 2 pounds off your person, 2 pounds off your bike, and still take a dump before a race. It all adds up.

|

2/3/2021 7:55 AM

Take all the steel fasteners off of your bike (There are quite a few inside your engine, too).
Weigh them.
Deduct 45%.

You now now how much weight you'll save.

grin

|

Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals. I get my back into my living. I don't need to fight, to prove I'm right. I don't need to be forgiven.

2/3/2021 8:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/3/2021 8:06 AM

I’ve never understood the why don’t you just lose 5# of body weight instead. It makes no sense. Like man this 10lb hammer is to heavy for me to swing all day, I’m gonna lose 5lb and then it will feel like a 5lb hammer.
Huh??

|

2/3/2021 8:05 AM

TeamGreen wrote:

Take all the steel fasteners off of your bike (There are quite a few inside your engine, too).
Weigh them.
Deduct 45%.

You ...more

Just leave them off, and you'll deduct 55% more!

|

2/3/2021 8:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/3/2021 8:16 AM

soggy wrote:

I’ve never understood the why don’t you just lose 5# of body weight instead. It makes no sense. Like man this 10lb hammer is ...more

Exactly.

I'm 6' 3", I weigh 172-175lbs, most days (if I haven't been drinking too much laughing ) I have visible ab muscles....should I go ahead and lose 5lbs?

Not everyone is a fat ass just because most of America is.....

|

2/3/2021 8:32 AM

TeamGreen wrote:

Weigh them.
Deduct 45%.

You ...more

Dirty Points wrote:

Just leave them off, and you'll deduct 55% more!

You must ne one of those Scientist guys!
grin

|

Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals. I get my back into my living. I don't need to fight, to prove I'm right. I don't need to be forgiven.

2/3/2021 8:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/3/2021 8:37 AM

Photo

Here’s a pic of me with my new TI bolt kit. The bike feels so light now!
|

2/3/2021 8:40 AM

Brent wrote: Photo

Here’s a pic of me with my new TI bolt kit. The bike feels so light now!

#merica

|

2/3/2021 8:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/3/2021 9:04 AM

Zesiger 112 wrote:

If you are set on spending money on Ti but want to keep the cost down go for the big stuff, axles, pivot, engine mounts, shock ...more

Do not buy aluminum bolts for anything.

You can do much better for cheaper with Chinese ti off of e-bay. I bought all my body panel bolts titanium off of ebay with drilled aluminum washers for less than aluminum from pro-bolt and turns out they are stronger than aluminum, they don't rust or corrode and they are one half the weight. For bolts that don't really bear weight, why not?

|

2/3/2021 9:02 AM

Mam I love ti bolts for more than just weight. They just stay looking good forever, and there is no interaction like between steel and aluminum threads. The axle adjuster bolts in ti are a good investment.

|

2/3/2021 9:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/3/2021 9:18 AM

spimx wrote:

Do not buy aluminum bolts for anything.

You can do much better for cheaper with Chinese ti off of e-bay. I bought all my body ...more

Not disputing the notion of buying/using these bolts, but what makes you say a Ti bolt is half the weight of an aluminum one? If they are dimensionally equal, the aluminum bolt should be significantly lighter.

|

2/3/2021 9:54 AM

soggy wrote:

I’ve never understood the why don’t you just lose 5# of body weight instead. It makes no sense. Like man this 10lb hammer is ...more

LungButter wrote:

Exactly.

I'm 6' 3", I weigh 172-175lbs, most days (if I haven't been drinking too much laughing ) I have visible ab muscles....should ...more

From what you have stated you could afford to take 3" out of each leg, that could potentially save 6lbs, you would still be 6'.
You have to learn to think outside the box dude!

|

2/3/2021 10:40 PM

Kezza01 wrote:

Does anyone know the approximate weight saving by using a full ti bolt kit on a 2021 KTM 125sx. I am talking axles, swingarm ...more

What is your goal? I've got that info wrote down in my garage somewhere. Weighed every bolt I changed on my Freeride and 17 150. On my 19 450FE I didn't weigh most the bolts. Just going for the final weigh in. Guts racing lightweight seat foam saved me over 1,000 grams on my 150. Best bang for your buck. One thing you should know is not all Ti bolts are created equal. I've bent and had head failures from bad manufacturing. Also the quality of the Ti stock and even the amount varies.

|

2/6/2021 6:19 AM

You could buy Hoosier tires and save that amount , plus it's rotating mass which you can feel

|