Thursday after Supercross at Glen Helen

avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
6/26/2020 4:24pm
Thursday's at GH before the Nationals are only fun for us mortals to watch.
Sierra Ranger
6/26/2020 4:43pm
Do they put pros out on the track with mini riders that are just learning? Or do they split up groups? Wouldn't pro practice sessions make sense?
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
6/26/2020 4:46pm
Do they put pros out on the track with mini riders that are just learning? Or do they split up groups? Wouldn't pro practice sessions make...
Do they put pros out on the track with mini riders that are just learning? Or do they split up groups? Wouldn't pro practice sessions make sense?
It's wide open.
BroFoSho
6/26/2020 4:47pm
BroFoSho wrote:
Good to see Glen Helen still allowing weekend warriors out there with Pros...

#NeverChangeGlenHelen
captmoto wrote:
Sarcasm? I hate being out there with those guys. They can scare the shit out of you. They have otherworldly speed you can't imagine until they...
Sarcasm? I hate being out there with those guys. They can scare the shit out of you. They have otherworldly speed you can't imagine until they go by you like they can't even see you. Hell, some people on the REM track are at risk riding around me.
Definitely sarcasm.
It blows my mind why pros would even want to be on the track with riders like me and vice versa. The speed difference between a weekend warrior and Webb is like me to a PW50 rider... and I don't like being on the track the same time as them.

I could have sworn that KTM/Husky banned their riders from public practice days after both Wilson and Anderson hit slow dudes and crashed themselves out of the Nationals?

The Shop

Sierra Ranger
6/26/2020 4:59pm
Do they put pros out on the track with mini riders that are just learning? Or do they split up groups? Wouldn't pro practice sessions make...
avidchimp wrote:
It's wide open.
This sport blows my mind sometimes. That's just utterly stupid.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
6/26/2020 5:27pm
avidchimp wrote:
It's wide open.
GH is not exactly a bastion of sane thinking when it comes to open practice. I wish they broke out Pro practice sessions on days like yesterday because even as a decent mid-pack B rider back in the day, I'd constantly find myself looking over my shoulder to make sure I didn't get in their way.

All they'd have to do is pull everyone off the track once an hour and give them a 30 minute session, then back to everyone else for another hour. Wash, rinse, repeat. I don't know one person who would complain about watching the pro's go at it alone while taking a break and having a snack.
slipdog
6/26/2020 5:34pm
Why look over your shoulder and worry about the fast guys? Ride your laps and hold your line, they'll go around you.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
6/26/2020 5:43pm Edited Date/Time 6/26/2020 5:44pm
slipdog wrote:
Why look over your shoulder and worry about the fast guys? Ride your laps and hold your line, they'll go around you.
Says one of the fast guys! 😂

It's hard to explain. Even when you are trying to hold your line, when you hear a dude death revving the shit out of a 450 behind you one can't not think they are about to get run over. hahaha

EDIT: Mind you, I grew up around Mouse and the Welty's, so I am used to being passed. A lot.
G-man
6/26/2020 5:51pm
avidchimp wrote:
It's wide open.
avidchimp wrote:
GH is not exactly a bastion of sane thinking when it comes to open practice. I wish they broke out Pro practice sessions on days like...
GH is not exactly a bastion of sane thinking when it comes to open practice. I wish they broke out Pro practice sessions on days like yesterday because even as a decent mid-pack B rider back in the day, I'd constantly find myself looking over my shoulder to make sure I didn't get in their way.

All they'd have to do is pull everyone off the track once an hour and give them a 30 minute session, then back to everyone else for another hour. Wash, rinse, repeat. I don't know one person who would complain about watching the pro's go at it alone while taking a break and having a snack.
Yep I never understood that myself how they can have national pros on the track along with a 80 beginner.

Recipe for disaster! Dry
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
6/26/2020 6:39pm
avidchimp wrote:
GH is not exactly a bastion of sane thinking when it comes to open practice. I wish they broke out Pro practice sessions on days like...

G-man wrote:
Yep I never understood that myself how they can have national pros on the track along with a 80 beginner.

Recipe for disaster! Dry
I heard it was a 65 beginner.
captmoto
6/26/2020 7:21pm
BroFoSho wrote:
Definitely sarcasm. It blows my mind why pros would even want to be on the track with riders like me and vice versa. The speed difference...
Definitely sarcasm.
It blows my mind why pros would even want to be on the track with riders like me and vice versa. The speed difference between a weekend warrior and Webb is like me to a PW50 rider... and I don't like being on the track the same time as them.

I could have sworn that KTM/Husky banned their riders from public practice days after both Wilson and Anderson hit slow dudes and crashed themselves out of the Nationals?
YES!! Nailed it on the sarcasm. I had Greg Albertyn sneak up on the inside of me one time where I didn't think there was a line and then fan the clutch and blast past me. That one really shook me. I got slammed by Max Antsie Sr. once to. He at least acknowledged it with a kind of a "my bad" wave.
G-man
6/26/2020 10:57pm
Great photo!
You should make this your avatar, oh and awesome bike!
One of my buddies is a Beta freak. Smile

G-man
6/26/2020 10:59pm
Good ride report and yeah Glen Helen is gnarly!!!Woohoo

APLMAN99
6/27/2020 6:09am
You would think that it would be far better to carve out 2-3, 30-45 minute sessions during a day that you know a lot of pros are going to be there for just them on the track. They could ride around at near-mortal speed to warm up with the crowds at other times, etc., but during those times there would be no "squids" on the track for them to run their motos and the fans in attendance would get a pretty good show for a few sessions a day. That would be safer for all involved and it would keep the pros from dodging roadkill and there would be less chance of a mishap like what happened to Anderson.
slipdog
6/27/2020 6:32am
slipdog wrote:
avidchimp wrote:
Says one of the fast guys! 😂 It's hard to explain. Even when you are trying to hold your line, when you hear a dude death...

It's hard to explain. Even when you are trying to hold your line, when you hear a dude death revving the shit out of a 450 behind you one can't not think they are about to get run over. hahaha

EDIT: Mind you, I grew up around Mouse and the Welty's, so I am used to being passed. A lot.
Ok, maybe that is a bit easier said than done. I have more experience than I'd prefer to admit with the fast guys going around me even when I tried not to let them BlinkBlinkBlink
Johnny Ringo
6/27/2020 6:38am
Good, positive thread. Days like that are why dirt bikes are the fucking raddest thing in the world.
6/27/2020 8:21am
In the midwest, we always have split up groups. Yet still, the A/B practice is flooded with folks that do not race either of those classes. It sucks.
kkawboy14
6/27/2020 10:38am
Sounds like it would be easy for the Pros to get 35 minute moto time and everyone else was doing like what 6 minute moto time? 😀
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
6/27/2020 11:06am
slipdog wrote:
avidchimp wrote:
Says one of the fast guys! 😂 It's hard to explain. Even when you are trying to hold your line, when you hear a dude death...

I’d bet you’ve ridden or raced with my dad at some point.

On another note, I’ve spent many Thursday’s during the summer at GH and Tuesday/Wednesday’s at Perris/Milestone with the pros. Obviously, I’m nowhere even close to being within 20-30 seconds of their laps, but I never had an issue being on the track with them. Always held my line and they would go around me without issue to either of us. My dad always taught me from the time I was on 50’s to hold my line and the faster guys will find a way around. That’s always held true.
Yeti831
6/27/2020 11:38am
Sounds like a great day for riding, still bummed I didn't make it out.

I will never understand why people trash talk Glen Helen. GH, along with Cahuiila, have always been my favorite tracks to ride.

Glad you got to go out, first time at that place is one hell of an experience 👍

Try going there on a non pro day if you get the chance. The main track is a blast once you get used to it and don't have to worry about getting run over.
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
6/27/2020 12:00pm Edited Date/Time 6/27/2020 12:13pm
Racing there 7-12 with the otmx crew. Always a low pressure day to enjoy the main track without someone mowing ya. At least not on purpose anyway LaughingLaughing
Motoxdoc
6/27/2020 12:30pm
"Cooper Webb (2) was at Glen Helen on Thursday with Carlos Rivera, Ian Harrison, Frankie Latham and Roger DeCoster.".............with a team like this, and knowing how Coop took it to Eli in the last 7 SX rounds, I wouldn't count them out!
wisey
Fantasy
1341st
6/27/2020 12:32pm
Last year they set Thursday 8-1 pro only, I would expect it again soon. Slipped my mind till I was at the gate 😁 The turn track they raked out in the infield was rad, I wish they would do that everyday.
enketchum
6/27/2020 6:15pm
I rode SRA grand prix there for many years before I went to college and lost my health insurance. They connect the main track, back hills and wash, vet track, Supercross track, parking loop which is now the short course track, and the wash out there. I say rode instead of raced because I was lucky to get 4 or 5 laps in the 45+1 format.

Is SRA still racing?
Stuntman949
6/27/2020 6:47pm
enketchum wrote:
I rode SRA grand prix there for many years before I went to college and lost my health insurance. They connect the main track, back hills...
I rode SRA grand prix there for many years before I went to college and lost my health insurance. They connect the main track, back hills and wash, vet track, Supercross track, parking loop which is now the short course track, and the wash out there. I say rode instead of raced because I was lucky to get 4 or 5 laps in the 45+1 format.

Is SRA still racing?
You bet! Insane turnout last weekend

Post a reply to: Thursday after Supercross at Glen Helen

The Latest