Thunder Valley National at night?

mxdad
3/29/2008 3:14pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 7:07am
Can someone tell me why the Colorado Outdoor National is going to be run at night under lighting? Are they doing this to be able to broadcast it live on TV or something?
|
mx757
3/29/2008 3:25pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:29pm
i was thinking either live tv, or just to have it be a "one off" event. should be frickin sweet either way.
flarider
3/29/2008 3:44pm
I like it and you can expect more things like this with DMG taking ownership, because exposure and spectators will be a primary concern.

Not that I think it's necessarily a bad thing, but over time you can expect pro racing to reflect amateur mx less and less, just as NASCAR Sprint Cup barely reflects the Saturday night short track racing the local racer does.

Learn to get used to changes because there's gonna be a lot in time
3/29/2008 3:47pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:29pm
[quote="flarider":4id6i2hh]I like it and you can expect more things like this with DMG taking ownership, because exposure and spectators will be a primary concern.

Not that I think it's necessarily a bad thing, but over time you can expect pro racing to reflect amateur mx less and less, just as NASCAR Sprint Cup barely reflects the Saturday night short track racing the local racer does.

Learn to get used to changes because there's gonna be a lot in time[/quote:4id6i2hh]

Damn, that sucks......

The very soul of motocross is it's grass roots appeal. Turning the Nationals into more of a "show" is most probably going to take a lot of that away.
flarider
3/29/2008 4:01pm
BUT...and there is a good side in my opinion....

Pro MX today is and has always been financed primarily by MX industry businesses, and not just OEM's.
Gear companies are typically the highest paying sponsors of these race teams (six to seven figures), and that makes consumer pricing that much higher.
Smaller companies spend a great deal of money percentage wise and that affects their bottom line and pricing.

More exposure and fans can and will bring in more outside sponsors and take that burden off MX industry companies to finance pro racing and in the long run it will stabilize consumer pricing and allow more funds for R&D as well as more sponsorships at the local amateur level.

The Shop

3/29/2008 4:05pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:29pm
[quote="flarider":1hz7l6op]BUT...and there is a good side in my opinion....

Pro MX today is and has always been financed primarily by MX industry businesses, and not just OEM's.
Gear companies are typically the highest paying sponsors of these race teams (six to seven figures), and that makes consumer pricing that much higher.
Smaller companies spend a great deal of money percentage wise and that affects their bottom line and pricing.

More exposure and fans can and will bring in more outside sponsors and take that burden off MX industry companies to finance pro racing and in the long run it will stabilize consumer pricing and allow more funds for R&D as well as more sponsorships at the local amateur level.[/quote:1hz7l6op]

So you are saying that selling the soul of the sport is a good thing because you believe that gear companies will drop their prices, despite the fact that people are already willing to pay more for their product?
flarider
3/29/2008 4:08pm
Not what I said and you know it
KAWboy14
3/29/2008 4:09pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:29pm
[quote="flarider":1pbm0t42]I like it and you can expect more things like this with DMG taking ownership, because exposure and spectators will be a primary concern.

Learn to get used to changes because there's gonna be a lot in time[/quote:1pbm0t42]

x2 and i love saturday night racing!
srellis
3/29/2008 4:23pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:29pm
Just wait until you try to get down the hill to the parking lot in the dark.... :roll:
srellis
3/29/2008 5:00pm
Many people had trouble getting down the gravel path on the hill in the daylight. I'm sure the flashlights will help...... Than ks for the suggestion!
KAWboy14
3/29/2008 5:53pm
they will close all the cool spots....because they will be to dangerous to get down in the dark [b:1j34l2tp]OR[/b:1j34l2tp] it will be lit up fool!
3/29/2008 6:40pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:29pm
[quote="flarider":1ot8czrt]Not what I said and you know it[/quote:1ot8czrt]

So you didn't say (or very strongly imply) that the reason for high gear prices was because of the dollars they pay to professional racers and teams?

And if the sport "grows", the idea that folks "inside" the industry will spend less money on it is just silly. If anything, they'd want to spend more on it, not less. They don't spend money on it today just because there isn't someone else to write a check, they spend it to try to increase their sales versus their competition. If the sport "grows" then you can bet they will want to make sure they are getting a lot of that bigger pie that's out there.
flarider
3/29/2008 6:52pm
High marketing and promotional expenses cost the consumer in the long run
3/29/2008 7:05pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:29pm
[quote="flarider":2ec3bar2]High marketing and promotional expenses cost the consumer in the long run[/quote:2ec3bar2]

Why would they go down? If anything, they would go up!
3/29/2008 7:06pm
So NASCAR-ization of the sport is going to result in lower apparel prices...sure, uh huh...
flarider
3/29/2008 7:12pm
That's not what I said

I'm not going to keep fighting this because you keep making things up and you really don't know how the economics of the sport works, but it's really simple.
If the sport can shift the financial burden off of the industry, it benefits everyone and also benefits amateurs and locals more because they have a greater budget to do so.
If you can't understand that, I don't know how to explain it any better and at the same time you're probably trying to look at it however you decide you want to look at it, because you're the expert and know all about it.
3/29/2008 7:21pm
Lakewood has free for all practice Wednesday thru Sunday . Come out and ride with the mini bikes .
3/29/2008 7:24pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:29pm
[quote="flarider":16v2gdj6]That's not what I said

I'm not going to keep fighting this because you keep making things up and you really don't know how the economics of the sport works, but it's really simple.
If the sport can shift the financial burden off of the industry, it benefits everyone and also benefits amateurs and locals more because they have a greater budget to do so.
If you can't understand that, I don't know how to explain it any better and at the same time you're probably trying to look at it however you decide you want to look at it, because you're the expert and know all about it.[/quote:16v2gdj6]

There is no "financial burden" for the gear companies, which you mentioned. They either choose to use the teams to get exposure for their product, or they don't.

The idea that the "growth" of the sport will reduce the amount of money those companies would have to pay to teams to have them wear and promotes their products is silly. If anything, PC will be in a position to ask for MORE money from Thor, FC will be able to ask for more from No Fear, etc.
3/29/2008 7:27pm
I don't give a shit who, what or why they are having a night national...i say that is way cool and would be very cool to watch in person. carry on folks...

is otis wilbur the dude that died? the dude that didn't exist but god forgot to tell ol ger about. what was his name dave?
3/29/2008 7:40pm
I thought Otis was the guy who faked his own death...
Jarid332
Fantasy
1823rd
3/29/2008 7:47pm
Otis and Ol Ger are the someone's schticks fucking with the minds of everyone here.
3/29/2008 7:55pm
otis was online here a few minutes ago...is it god or the 3rd coming?
Jarid332
Fantasy
1823rd
3/29/2008 7:59pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:29pm
[quote="BobbyM":14c06jw5]otis was online here a few minutes ago...is it god or the 3rd coming?[/quote:14c06jw5]

It's gotta be the 3rd coming. Because he's always asking the mods and admin to ban people he doesn't agree with.(gotta love those close minded religious folk) If, he really was god, he'd just use his magical powers and ban them himself.
jmar
3/29/2008 8:03pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:29pm
[quote="APLMAN":2u15dts5][quote="flarider":2u15dts5]That's not what I said

If you can't understand that, I don't know how to explain it any better and at the same time you're probably trying to look at it however you decide you want to look at it, because you're the expert and know all about it.[/quote:2u15dts5]

There is no "financial burden" for the gear companies, which you mentioned. They either choose to use the teams to get exposure for their product, or they don't.

The idea that the "growth" of the sport will reduce the amount of money those companies would have to pay to teams to have them wear and promotes their products is silly. If anything, PC will be in a position to ask for MORE money from Thor, FC will be able to ask for more from No Fear, etc.[/quote:2u15dts5]
It sounds to me like you like the way things are now and really aren’t excited about any type of change or growth. If that were the case then be ready for the existing outdoor series to either turn into more of a regional event or even completely disappear.

BTW: If PC and other teams were getting their primary funding from companies like Nokia, UPS or any other company outside of the motorcycle industry their racing budgets would be much bigger.
500guy
3/29/2008 8:16pm
How cool would it be to have most of your money coming from non moto companies , You buy your own parts and make or have made your HP stuff.

No more this bullshit I'll trade you 3 stickers and a chain for a pair of grips and bars.
3/29/2008 8:38pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:29pm
[quote="jmar":1pi9uhbh][quote="APLMAN":1pi9uhbh][quote="flarider":1pi9uhbh]That's not what I said

If you can't understand that, I don't know how to explain it any better and at the same time you're probably trying to look at it however you decide you want to look at it, because you're the expert and know all about it.[/quote:1pi9uhbh]

The idea that the "growth" of the sport will reduce the amount of money those companies would have to pay to teams to have them wear and promotes their products is silly. If anything, PC will be in a position to ask for MORE money from Thor, FC will be able to ask for more from No Fear, etc.[/quote:1pi9uhbh]
It sounds to me like you like the way things are now and really aren’t excited about any type of change or growth. If that were the case then be ready for the existing outdoor series to either turn into more of a regional event or even completely disappear.

BTW: If PC and other teams were getting their primary funding from companies like Nokia, UPS or any other company outside of the motorcycle industry their racing budgets would be much bigger.[/quote:1pi9uhbh]

Their budgets might be bigger, but they aren't going to turn away money from gear companies. They'd probably ask for more.
jmar
3/29/2008 8:41pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:29pm
[quote="500guy":tls9rrv2]How cool would it be to have most of your money coming from non moto companies , You buy your own parts and make or have made your HP stuff.

No more this bullshit I'll trade you 3 stickers and a chain for a pair of grips and bars.[/quote:tls9rrv2]

And if the race promoters would allow each team to properly use their pit space to promote their sponsors (from outside of the industry) the smaller teams would finally have the ability to have a decent racing budget.
jmar
3/29/2008 8:54pm
[quote:324j2j5j]Their budgets might be bigger, but they aren't going to turn away money from gear companies. They'd probably ask for more.[/quote:324j2j5j]

There would more that likely be no reason for the gear companies to invest money into racing programs at this level. The gear would be custom and plastered with the primary sponsor.

It would be a whole new ball game and the change would be for the good of the sport.

Post a reply to: Thunder Valley National at night?

The Latest