Thumb Muscle Cramps

9/22/2021 11:10am
Have been dealing with Thenar muscle pain and cramping, the big pad muscle below your thumb. Doc doesn't see much related to carpal tunnel but said possible it could be part of the issue. I've done multiple injections, physical therapy, and bracing. Currently its bad enough that I can only ride a few minutes before they cramp up and I have to massage them and then I can go back out. I don't get arm pump though, only cramps in that muscle. Anyone else ever dealt with something similar and found a solution?
|
9/22/2021 11:17am
Have been dealing with Thenar muscle pain and cramping, the big pad muscle below your thumb. Doc doesn't see much related to carpal tunnel but said...
Have been dealing with Thenar muscle pain and cramping, the big pad muscle below your thumb. Doc doesn't see much related to carpal tunnel but said possible it could be part of the issue. I've done multiple injections, physical therapy, and bracing. Currently its bad enough that I can only ride a few minutes before they cramp up and I have to massage them and then I can go back out. I don't get arm pump though, only cramps in that muscle. Anyone else ever dealt with something similar and found a solution?
i have had the same problem but it seems like it goes and comes, right now i dont have much problem with it, i defenetly think it has something to do with carpaltunnel, its the biggest muscle in your hand and it need a lot of blood flow.
Zycki11
9/22/2021 12:46pm
I had that issue for a while. Riding wise, I found stretching my hands helped as well as starting slow and easing into my pace. Then a 180 occurred. I simply started doing more cardio and focusing on squeezing with my legs much more. Relaxing both hands and opening them up on each jump also helped.
Moto Nomad
9/22/2021 1:15pm
Are you drinking enough water? Dehydration causes cramping.
9/22/2021 1:23pm
Zycki11 wrote:
I had that issue for a while. Riding wise, I found stretching my hands helped as well as starting slow and easing into my pace. Then...
I had that issue for a while. Riding wise, I found stretching my hands helped as well as starting slow and easing into my pace. Then a 180 occurred. I simply started doing more cardio and focusing on squeezing with my legs much more. Relaxing both hands and opening them up on each jump also helped.
I would say I am definitely guilty of not easing into my pace like I should. I have the same issue on the bicycle too and I don't think I am holding on for dear life on that. Also same issue with screw drivers. I only use electric impacts for bolts and screws unless it doesn't fit. So far I'm on the agenda for carpal tunnel surgery in mid January but if I can find some relief from something else than I'd rather do that.

The Shop

9/22/2021 1:27pm
Moto Nomad wrote:
Are you drinking enough water? Dehydration causes cramping.
That's another one I'm probably guilty of. Odd I don't get cramps in any other muscles.
9/22/2021 4:12pm
Inner thumb near the wrist is called De Quervain,s Tendinosis. Tendinosis means swelling of the tendons. Injection of corticosteroids may help. Or Anti flamatory medicication not sure if any meds are any good. I get sick from them so I don’t take them. Mine got so painful I couldn’t sleep. I basically got it from working too much, hazmat totes always surging every 1/4 second your constantly working your hand and upper body. I put on 24 lbs of muscle. I had 7 weeks off surgery and etc I iced the thumb and 7 days a week whirlpool jet on it. It got much better but came back again. Ps I researched it myself along with it band dr,s in my town r crap. I wanted it injected along with my back, neck, shoulder and it band . I got no injections cortisone is bad for ya anyway.
kb228
9/22/2021 5:26pm
I did, and it went away. The thing i focus on most is not riding at my limit and leaning away from braking and leaning into acceleration to keep tension off my hands.

Sadly i think the hand thing is step 1 before arm pump. Now my arms pump up when they didnt use to before
Tracktor
9/23/2021 2:17pm
I get it pretty bad both riding & wrenching. I haven't found any solutions other than while riding bar bend/angle can aggravate it. I have to be pretty picky about how I run them to ride for any amount of time. Wrenching I just have to take breaks and let the pain/cramping go away. Sucks getting old...........
9/23/2021 6:45pm
Tracktor wrote:
I get it pretty bad both riding & wrenching. I haven't found any solutions other than while riding bar bend/angle can aggravate it. I have to...
I get it pretty bad both riding & wrenching. I haven't found any solutions other than while riding bar bend/angle can aggravate it. I have to be pretty picky about how I run them to ride for any amount of time. Wrenching I just have to take breaks and let the pain/cramping go away. Sucks getting old...........
Damn got that right. Went in today and got some shots. Gonna try to be a little more religious with my bracing, stretching, and getting more water and see how things turn out. Therapist said making tool grips wider with like wrapping them with electrical tape a bunch will help. I wonder if maybe finding a fatter grip might be helpful to try.
Tracktor
9/30/2021 1:31pm
Tracktor wrote:
I get it pretty bad both riding & wrenching. I haven't found any solutions other than while riding bar bend/angle can aggravate it. I have to...
Damn got that right. Went in today and got some shots. Gonna try to be a little more religious with my bracing, stretching, and getting more...
Damn got that right. Went in today and got some shots. Gonna try to be a little more religious with my bracing, stretching, and getting more water and see how things turn out. Therapist said making tool grips wider with like wrapping them with electrical tape a bunch will help. I wonder if maybe finding a fatter grip might be helpful to try.
So I had an appt with my "witch doctor" chiro to deal with some typical back issues. This guy does some oddball stuff but works hands down. My whole family plus huge network of friends all use him because of how good he is. I figured I'd ask him for ideas. He gave me an exercise/massage technique to try on my forearms. Basically taking the end of a butter knife (or similar) and pushing it down the length of your arm from elbow to wrist looking for knots. Once you find one keep doing it until I start lightly bruising. Repeat for the next week. We will see if it helps or not. Fixed tennis elbow years ago with similar technique after trying everything under the sun for about 6 months. Three treatments and it was gone...it's free so nothing to lose......
mxman
9/30/2021 2:04pm
Drink pickle juice before you ride.....
9/30/2021 4:15pm
mxman wrote:
Drink pickle juice before you ride.....
Man if I drink pickle juice before I ride I’ll barf 😂
CPR
9/30/2021 4:37pm
I used to get this a bit after riding or during a long ride. Changed my lever setup and bingo, went away. Seems I was having to stretch my fingers too far and at an awkward angle for optimum hand grip and that was straining the thumb muscle.

Post a reply to: Thumb Muscle Cramps

The Latest