SOLVED Throttle sticking trouble!!!

Related:
Create New Tag

5/28/2018 11:51 AM

Out at the track right now and just figured out why my throttle has been sticking so much. When I let off the throttle to brake the pressure rolls the throttle tube backwards really hard so that it gets jammed or something and it’s super hard to break loose. Does anyone have any theories on how to fix this or why it’s doing this? Thanks!

|

5/28/2018 12:08 PM

Front brake? Are the throttle cable and brake cable bound together up by the bars some way with zip ties?

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

5/28/2018 12:11 PM

So I took it apart and it seems like the front cable is way too long. It looks like it’s getting stretched and pinched in there when the throttle rolls forward. It’s 2017 crf450. is there anyway to fix this? Or are the cables too stretched?

|

5/28/2018 12:13 PM

motokawi818 wrote:

So I took it apart and it seems like the front cable is way too long. It looks like it’s getting stretched and pinched in ...more

Did you put new cables on this bike? And if so , is there a difference in length between the two? Or are these the stock cables that haven't been touched?

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

5/28/2018 12:16 PM

Stock and haven’t been touched.

|

5/28/2018 12:23 PM

Make sure there is play/space between the end of the throttle tube and the handle bar.

|

5/28/2018 12:28 PM

Also make sure the cables are adjusted properly at the throttle body. Each cable is adjustable there. One of the adjuster nuts may have back off.

Paw Paw

|

5/28/2018 12:32 PM

So I can see where the back cable can be adjusted. There’s the adjuster at the bar and down going into the efi. I just can’t find where I can adjust the other cable. The front one, if you can even adjust it. That’s the one causing issues.

|

5/28/2018 12:41 PM

motokawi818 wrote:

So I can see where the back cable can be adjusted. There’s the adjuster at the bar and down going into the efi. I just can’t ...more

I believe both cables need to be balanced as far as length goes.....so can the one that can be adjusted ( which ever way it needs to go ) balance the two out? They put that adjustment on just one cable for a reason. I have no experience with this particular bike , but just giving some ideas here.

|

5/28/2018 12:43 PM

The back cable , which is pulling the throttle down ( more gas ) seems to have more tension then the other cable.

|

5/28/2018 12:43 PM

Two adjustments on the throttle, I have the same bike. Make sure there is a little play in the throttle.

|

5/28/2018 12:51 PM

Thanks for the tips I’ll keep messing with it. I think I’ll get some new cables just so I have that base covered.

|

5/28/2018 2:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/28/2018 2:32 PM

motokawi818 wrote:

Out at the track right now and just figured out why my throttle has been sticking so much. When I let off the throttle to ...more

Immediately replace everything with new stuff, before that thing hurts you!

|

5/28/2018 3:34 PM

Did you just replace the grips? I just threw some new ones on and the glue ended up getting on the inside of the tube and bar. Even just this little amount made the throttle stick, never had this happen in all my years of riding and I just love getting to the track and working on my bike! pinch

|

Don’t piss off the old people - the older they get the less “life in prison” is a deterrent for them!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

5/28/2018 3:43 PM

If you use clamp on grips, double check that cam used is not “thinner” than stock.

|

5/28/2018 3:52 PM

If a throttles gonna stick....the "off" position is the far better option. Only race I ever DNF'd was stuck WFO at the end of 6th gear tapped out straight. I didn't make the 180. Shot over the berm and nailed one of those East Texas pines about 4 foot up. Luckily, at 16 I was still made of rubber...the bike was not. As far as your problem goes...I always take things loose one at a time till the problem goes away and there's your culprit. But it sucks doing this stuff at the track.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

5/28/2018 4:26 PM

bvm111 wrote:

Did you just replace the grips? I just threw some new ones on and the glue ended up getting on the inside of the tube and bar. ...more

Same thing happened to me. New grips and the hole in the end of the throttle tube allowed the glue to get between the bar and the tube.

|

5/28/2018 7:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/28/2018 7:36 PM

I was careflighted out of Freestone Mx with a broken femur due to a stuck throttle. Replaced the carb, throttle cable and sold that sumbitch.
Get it 100% taken care of before you ride it again.

|

6/17/2018 12:00 PM

Incase anyone in the future has this problem it was the throttle cables. Replaced those and the problem disappeared.

|