Thought I had it figured out, but need some thoughts

Fenix009
10/9/2019 1:02pm Edited Date/Time 10/10/2019 10:30am
Looking at the following bikes all with in a couple hundred of each other. All under $1400

2008 KTM 250 xcf-w
*completely stock with @100 hours of class D hare scramble races
*Regular maintenance no top-end rebuild, claims leak down test is still good
*Looks well maintained and clean

2000 KTM 200 mxc
*seller looks to be a mechanic that flips all things small engine related
*Claims to have a rebuilt top end including piston and cylinder plating by US Chrome
*Clean for its age but can tell its been ridden

2005 YZ 250-F
*About 100 hours
*12-52 sprockets
*Valved for 165# trail rider

My Stats:
240 lb novice. Grew up on snowmobiles, quads, and ATCs. Extent of off-road bikes is an early 90's YZ100 that I still tool around my parents farm and gravel back roads on. 13 yr old son wants to take up trail riding with some of his friends from school and baseball, and I've been wanting to get him into it for years as well but its easier for him to convince his mom. I pick up his CRF100, he is little and that bike is perfect for him to stand with just the balls of his feet touching.

SO I am looking for a bike to ride along while he learns and I refresh my skills and learn how to translate them to two-wheels. I also want something to ride with my co-workers/fiends that is a little easier going on more technical trails than my Polaris Xpedition 425 that I have as a hunting rig. They ride a YZ426 (Class B woods racer), KTM 200 exc, and a KDX200.

PS. I like tinkering and doing the required maintenance, but complete engine tear-downs I typically leave to those trained to do so.

Thanks in advance

|
yz133rider
10/9/2019 1:05pm
None. Keep waiting for a low hours garage queen for similair money to those. They're out there and worth the wait.
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
648th
10/9/2019 1:08pm
geeeze, this is like a bad game of "fuck, kill or marry"

Fenix009
10/9/2019 1:20pm Edited Date/Time 10/9/2019 1:40pm
yz133rider wrote:
None. Keep waiting for a low hours garage queen for similair money to those. They're out there and worth the wait.
There are, but with multiple kids in club sports 5-7 nights a week year round, I don't have the time to drive 4 hours one way to look at a bike that I may or may not get. And based on how much we use the boat, it will get ridden 4-5 times a year.

The Shop

Fenix009
10/9/2019 1:40pm
yz133rider wrote:
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/d/kansas-city-crf450/6971728385.html Check these out. Searched in MO for you because i have a craigslist addiction. Found these in about 2 minutes. 1 of those sounds/looks to...
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/d/kansas-city-crf450/6971728385.h…

Check these out. Searched in MO for you because i have a craigslist addiction. Found these in about 2 minutes. 1 of those sounds/looks to be much much cleaner and a better buy than what you described. Keep looking or grab one of those.
Thank you. I have seen that listing. I have ridden my buddies 426, not my cup of tea. Its like a tank moving through the woods. Was looking for something lighter. Also at 4 hours one way and almost twice the price as the others I don't know if it would be worth it considering I will maybe get 4-5 days a year to actually use it with him.
Lightning78
10/9/2019 1:45pm
Lets see here…… 2 four stroke 250's with 100 hours on each and no top end rebuilds vs a ktm 200 mxc 2 stroke.

Thats a tough call Laughing
10/9/2019 1:46pm
if you are stuck with picking between the three: this has to be the obvious choice-- 2000 KTM 200 mxc
BAD10
10/9/2019 2:24pm
Fenix009 wrote:
Looking at the following bikes all with in a couple hundred of each other. All under $1400 2008 KTM 250 xcf-w *completely stock with @100 hours...
Looking at the following bikes all with in a couple hundred of each other. All under $1400

2008 KTM 250 xcf-w
*completely stock with @100 hours of class D hare scramble races
*Regular maintenance no top-end rebuild, claims leak down test is still good
*Looks well maintained and clean

2000 KTM 200 mxc
*seller looks to be a mechanic that flips all things small engine related
*Claims to have a rebuilt top end including piston and cylinder plating by US Chrome
*Clean for its age but can tell its been ridden

2005 YZ 250-F
*About 100 hours
*12-52 sprockets
*Valved for 165# trail rider

My Stats:
240 lb novice. Grew up on snowmobiles, quads, and ATCs. Extent of off-road bikes is an early 90's YZ100 that I still tool around my parents farm and gravel back roads on. 13 yr old son wants to take up trail riding with some of his friends from school and baseball, and I've been wanting to get him into it for years as well but its easier for him to convince his mom. I pick up his CRF100, he is little and that bike is perfect for him to stand with just the balls of his feet touching.

SO I am looking for a bike to ride along while he learns and I refresh my skills and learn how to translate them to two-wheels. I also want something to ride with my co-workers/fiends that is a little easier going on more technical trails than my Polaris Xpedition 425 that I have as a hunting rig. They ride a YZ426 (Class B woods racer), KTM 200 exc, and a KDX200.

PS. I like tinkering and doing the required maintenance, but complete engine tear-downs I typically leave to those trained to do so.

Thanks in advance

They all sound like roaches............Whistling
kb228
10/9/2019 2:26pm
My choice is none. For $1400 id be looking for a 2 stroke in decent shape. Lots out there.
Fenix009
10/9/2019 2:39pm
kb228 wrote:
My choice is none. For $1400 id be looking for a 2 stroke in decent shape. Lots out there.
Most within 2 hours of me are 1996 or older if its 2 stroke and 2004 or older if its 4 stroke. Shoot the big tire 100s and 125s were all 1600+ for a 2004 or newer. Anything newer than a 2010 was basically dealer list price.

But still looking. Most here are 426s and 450s because everyone wants to make stunt bikes out of them, or they are roached pitbikes road hard by guys built like me.

sandman768
10/9/2019 2:46pm
Sounds like you need a Sr. Owned KTM XC or XCW 300. You price point needs to be higher or you will just be looking at junk.
Barnett117
Fantasy
275th
10/9/2019 2:51pm
200 MXC hands down. For what they are, they're a blast.
moto0852
10/9/2019 2:53pm
If you will spend a little more (3k maybe) you'll get a lower hour bike and it will end up costing you less in the long run.
Fenix009
10/9/2019 3:00pm
sandman768 wrote:
Sounds like you need a Sr. Owned KTM XC or XCW 300. You price point needs to be higher or you will just be looking at...
Sounds like you need a Sr. Owned KTM XC or XCW 300. You price point needs to be higher or you will just be looking at junk.
Tried to look at a 2004 300 exc, - sold for 3500 within an hour of posting. Yeah, probably should but I cant really justify it with only riding it a handful of times a year.

Basically if it last a year and I use it more than I anticipate I'll look at a newer bike. But considering are schedules allow us use the ski boat 3-4 days out of the year and it was 20K, I don't want to be in that "boat" again. Basically something to do on weekends in October when its too cold for the boat and during the kids month off between baseball/softball and winter training.
Farmer Tom
10/9/2019 5:44pm
I have a buddy like some of the posters here.
Me: I'm looking for something in the $xxx range
Buddy: yeah but if you spend $xxxx you can have something better!

I quit asking his opinion on how to spend my money.
I vote for the KTM 250 xcfw. Good, reliable, bikes and electric start. The KTM 200 is old iron at this point, and some model specific parts could be hard to come by. I don't know much about the early Gen Yamaha 250s. I would assume they are fairly reliable.
10/9/2019 5:59pm
I hope you've learned a lesson on asking the smartest people on the face of the earth for advice. They sound like used car salesmen "I have $1400 to spend." "You're a cheap idiot. Here's some for 3 grand"

I'm partial to the YZF. I just finished a budget rebuild on one. Same year and I spent about that kind of money. It's fun as hell, does what I want it to do and starts every time. If you're handy and know what you're looking at when you test ride it, you'll make a good decision. I put probably another $500 or so into it, with the purpose of a budget replica. In all reality, I could have ran it as I got it, after a fluid change and service for insurance. All new plastic is only about 100 bucks.
garagedog
Fantasy
802nd
10/9/2019 6:06pm
the yz250f. Easy to put around with your kid. Good all around bike with smooth power.
Fenix009
10/9/2019 7:40pm Edited Date/Time 10/9/2019 8:03pm
I hope you've learned a lesson on asking the smartest people on the face of the earth for advice. They sound like used car salesmen "I...
I hope you've learned a lesson on asking the smartest people on the face of the earth for advice. They sound like used car salesmen "I have $1400 to spend." "You're a cheap idiot. Here's some for 3 grand"

I'm partial to the YZF. I just finished a budget rebuild on one. Same year and I spent about that kind of money. It's fun as hell, does what I want it to do and starts every time. If you're handy and know what you're looking at when you test ride it, you'll make a good decision. I put probably another $500 or so into it, with the purpose of a budget replica. In all reality, I could have ran it as I got it, after a fluid change and service for insurance. All new plastic is only about 100 bucks.
Thanks for the encouragement. No, I expected this actually. I moderate focus groups form time to time and this is common in those as well. You have to know how to interpret what is being said between the lines. Several better bikes have come up in the last couple of hours. Guess now that it’s getting cold and a local volume dealer had a fire and is clearance going out a lot of 2018/2019 bikes because they are sitting in the parking lot.

a 2007 YZ250 set up as a trail bike for a 220lb rider with @54 hours on it. One owner with a service log and riding log with dates times and locations of rides. As well as a 2006 KTM 200 exc. with a new top end and rebuilt fork and shocks also setup for a 220lb rider. With recites for the work from the local KTM dealer. Both for under my 2k budget.
cwtoyota
10/9/2019 7:57pm
I hope you've learned a lesson on asking the smartest people on the face of the earth for advice. They sound like used car salesmen "I...

Fenix009 wrote:
Thanks for the encouragement. No, I expected this actually. I moderate focus groups form time to time and this is common in those as well. You...
Thanks for the encouragement. No, I expected this actually. I moderate focus groups form time to time and this is common in those as well. You have to know how to interpret what is being said between the lines. Several better bikes have come up in the last couple of hours. Guess now that it’s getting cold and a local volume dealer had a fire and is clearance going out a lot of 2018/2019 bikes because they are sitting in the parking lot.

a 2007 YZ250 set up as a trail bike for a 220lb rider with @54 hours on it. One owner with a service log and riding log with dates times and locations of rides. As well as a 2006 KTM 200 exc. with a new top end and rebuilt fork and shocks also setup for a 220lb rider. With recites for the work from the local KTM dealer. Both for under my 2k budget.
It's going to be really hard to go wrong with a 2007 YZ250. Parts are everywhere and Yamaha still makes essentially the same bike using essentially the same parts.

Out here in the northwest, asking price for any YZ250 with an aluminum frame is around 3k or higher.
Fenix009
10/9/2019 8:00pm Edited Date/Time 10/9/2019 8:02pm
I have less than 2 grand in it [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/10/09/378726/s1200_20190918_181438.jpg[/img]
I have less than 2 grand in it
Actually that looks like the identical bike. The 2007 comes with a second set of white plastics as well as spare front/back tires, 3 foam filters, filter cleaning bucket, filter oiling bucket, the OEM sprockets and OEM valves and Springs to convert back to an MX setup if I choose, manuals, original paperwork, and log books. Found out the guy is a private pilot and he keeps the logs on all his vehicles like he has to on his planes.
yz133rider
10/9/2019 8:01pm

Fenix009 wrote:
Thanks for the encouragement. No, I expected this actually. I moderate focus groups form time to time and this is common in those as well. You...

Sounds like my comment wasnt well recieved but it was good advice. I wasnt saying to spend more just to wait for the right deal.
When youre on a tight budget patience is even more important. Sounds like youve already found a couple that are way nicer. 54 hours on a yz250 sounds much safer then 100+ on 250fs.
Fenix009
10/9/2019 8:12pm

Fenix009 wrote:

yz133rider wrote:
Sounds like my comment wasnt well recieved but it was good advice. I wasnt saying to spend more just to wait for the right deal. When...
Sounds like my comment wasnt well recieved but it was good advice. I wasnt saying to spend more just to wait for the right deal.
When youre on a tight budget patience is even more important. Sounds like youve already found a couple that are way nicer. 54 hours on a yz250 sounds much safer then 100+ on 250fs.
I took it to mean what you meant. I’m not in a hurry, there had been about a week and a half of no new postings for bikes. I was thinking the fall postings had dried up. Bikes in my 2k budget go fast here, usually in an hour they have multiple people heading to look them over. I had looked at several those were just the standouts that looked the best and that I have times set up to look over and test. Well one is now off the table because he said no test rides...
Moto520
10/9/2019 8:50pm Edited Date/Time 10/9/2019 9:14pm
yz133rider wrote:
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/d/kansas-city-crf450/6971728385.html Check these out. Searched in MO for you because i have a craigslist addiction. Found these in about 2 minutes. 1 of those sounds/looks to...
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/d/kansas-city-crf450/6971728385.h…

Check these out. Searched in MO for you because i have a craigslist addiction. Found these in about 2 minutes. 1 of those sounds/looks to be much much cleaner and a better buy than what you described. Keep looking or grab one of those.
I would probably stay away from the older KTM’s. Those don’t excite me too much! Good luck.....riding is riding no matter what you have

I don’t know why it quoted you but those bikes look pretty perfect!
soggy
Fantasy
3783rd
10/9/2019 9:10pm
if i was going to look at any of those bikes it would be the ktm. for what you want it would be perfect. And if you are only riding a few times a year you don't need anything special. i would still be ready to spend an additional 3-400 on top of the price of the bike though.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
10/9/2019 9:19pm
I have less than 2 grand in it [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/10/09/378726/s1200_20190918_181438.jpg[/img]
I have less than 2 grand in it
Fenix009 wrote:
Actually that looks like the identical bike. The 2007 comes with a second set of white plastics as well as spare front/back tires, 3 foam filters...
Actually that looks like the identical bike. The 2007 comes with a second set of white plastics as well as spare front/back tires, 3 foam filters, filter cleaning bucket, filter oiling bucket, the OEM sprockets and OEM valves and Springs to convert back to an MX setup if I choose, manuals, original paperwork, and log books. Found out the guy is a private pilot and he keeps the logs on all his vehicles like he has to on his planes.
Jump on that 07 yz now !!!!
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
10/9/2019 9:20pm
at that price range, id go the 2 stroke all day, the KTM200 is a good bike, the others are time bombs, and when they go it will not be economic to repair them,
BMc914
10/9/2019 9:26pm
Only using it 4-5 times a year!!! Just save your money for your boat. No Moto for you!

If you never buy it you won't ever have to sell it!!

Post a reply to: Thought I had it figured out, but need some thoughts

The Latest