Thought: Canadian rounds to AMA outdoor MX series

ga_pike
1/18/2018 12:26pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2018 6:41pm
What are your thoughts about adding a couple rounds in Canada? Maybe combined with the Canadian series?

I saw the race from Notre-Dame-du-bon-Conseil (Quebec) and what a bad ass track! Sandy, huge jumps, looked like great spectating. I'd love to see an AMA event held at this track. There are a couple of other really good looking tracks (on TV) as well and I think it might be a good way to continue to grow the outdoor series.

Flame away!!
|
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3657th
1/18/2018 12:38pm
If AMA/MX Sports wants a sand track for a National head over to Gopher Dunes and call it a day.

Ulverton, Deschambault, Walton are also great tracks. That said I don't see them crossing the border up North to host an AMA National any time soon.
JBlain619
1/18/2018 12:39pm
That track was pretty sweet. From my understanding that was the first event. Sorry to see int's not on the Canadian National Schedule this season.
TW85
1/18/2018 12:55pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
If AMA/MX Sports wants a sand track for a National head over to Gopher Dunes and call it a day. Ulverton, Deschambault, Walton are also great...
If AMA/MX Sports wants a sand track for a National head over to Gopher Dunes and call it a day.

Ulverton, Deschambault, Walton are also great tracks. That said I don't see them crossing the border up North to host an AMA National any time soon.
I can't wake up on a Saturday and decide to go ride Gopher...I need like 3 days to mentally prep lol. Tough track for a not so good vet rider such as myself.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3657th
1/18/2018 1:11pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
If AMA/MX Sports wants a sand track for a National head over to Gopher Dunes and call it a day. Ulverton, Deschambault, Walton are also great...

TW85 wrote:
I can't wake up on a Saturday and decide to go ride Gopher...I need like 3 days to mentally prep lol. Tough track for a not...
I can't wake up on a Saturday and decide to go ride Gopher...I need like 3 days to mentally prep lol. Tough track for a not so good vet rider such as myself.
I've never been there myself but my brother went with a friend. I think he went just as a spectator for the national but he said that he didn't think he'd enjoy it all that much.

It's deceiving the first time you go there. It's so smooth all around that people think oh well this we'll be easy. 40°C just after practice and people start dropping out in the first moto because it's so damn rough.

Would definitively test the world's best. I know RC gave a school there but not sure what his thoughts were on the track. Pourcel on the other hand...lol

The Shop

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3657th
1/18/2018 1:18pm
JBlain619 wrote:
That track was pretty sweet. From my understanding that was the first event. Sorry to see int's not on the Canadian National Schedule this season.
Yes, last year was their first national at the Notre-Dame-du-bon-Conseil track. They had very little time to prepare compared to the other nationals but did a very good job in my opinion. Ulverton had issues with the city and they were forced to cancel the event. Since the Bon Conseil track is only a short drive away from Ulverton they picked up the slack so to speak.

Walton would be great because of the longer lap times and natural terrain. Big facility that could accommodate everyone.
Falcon
Fantasy
843rd
1/18/2018 1:19pm
Looking at this, I'd say we need an event in Texas or Florida first:

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3657th
1/18/2018 2:24pm
Falcon wrote:
Looking at this, I'd say we need an event in Texas or Florida first: [img]http://www.promotocross.com/sites/default/files/18ProMXSched_RXI-01_960.jpg[/img]
Looking at this, I'd say we need an event in Texas or Florida first:

What's the reason for not having a round in Texas anymore? Was Freestone that much of a bust? Florida has a huge amount of people that ride so I can't see why a round there wouldn't be a hit.
kkawboy14
1/18/2018 4:56pm
ga_pike wrote:
What are your thoughts about adding a couple rounds in Canada? Maybe combined with the Canadian series? I saw the race from Notre-Dame-du-bon-Conseil (Quebec) and what...
What are your thoughts about adding a couple rounds in Canada? Maybe combined with the Canadian series?

I saw the race from Notre-Dame-du-bon-Conseil (Quebec) and what a bad ass track! Sandy, huge jumps, looked like great spectating. I'd love to see an AMA event held at this track. There are a couple of other really good looking tracks (on TV) as well and I think it might be a good way to continue to grow the outdoor series.

Flame away!!
That would be very cool!
Drtbykr
1/18/2018 4:58pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2018 5:00pm
I think it would awesome, bring Carrie Bolling and Nicole Cesa to ??.

Make Canada Great...er.

Could anyone host it besides Walton. It seems to be in a class of its own?

I was gonna take a 2000 km spin in my new wheels to the TO SX. I hope it wasn’t cancelled because of one border crossing. MXGP cross a few!
1/18/2018 5:04pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:

TW85 wrote:
I can't wake up on a Saturday and decide to go ride Gopher...I need like 3 days to mentally prep lol. Tough track for a not...
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I've never been there myself but my brother went with a friend. I think he went just as a spectator for the national but he said...
I've never been there myself but my brother went with a friend. I think he went just as a spectator for the national but he said that he didn't think he'd enjoy it all that much.

It's deceiving the first time you go there. It's so smooth all around that people think oh well this we'll be easy. 40°C just after practice and people start dropping out in the first moto because it's so damn rough.

Would definitively test the world's best. I know RC gave a school there but not sure what his thoughts were on the track. Pourcel on the other hand...lol
I believe 2010 was when RC went there (I couldn't be there for some reason, thinking it's because I was in Afghanistan) and I know he was impressed with how nasty that track gets.

I would love to see an AMA national there. That track gets absolutely nasty, and as you mentioned, a 40celsius day with 100% humidity is fairly common there in the summer. The entire track turns in to one long set of knee deep rollers, only place you get any rest is in the air.
Good viewing of the entire track along the big berm, you can get up close along part of the in-field, lots of room for trailers, campers etc... They could do it.

I feel lucky that place was where I really learned to ride, but it SUCKS when it's the first rip of the season, but it gets rid of my arm pump for the year. Stand up, twist it and lift that front tire through the corners, I miss that place.
1/18/2018 5:08pm
Drtbykr wrote:
I think it would awesome, bring Carrie Bolling and Nicole Cesa to ??. Make Canada Great...er. Could anyone host it besides Walton. It seems to be...

Make Canada Great...er.

I was gonna take a 2000 km spin in my new wheels to the TO SX. I hope it wasn’t cancelled because of one border crossing. MXGP cross a few!
Carrie and Nicole would be great additions lol.

We drove from Oromocto to TO last year for SX (I haven't missed it since 2011) and were planning to go again this year, but likely would have flown to Pearson and stayed in a hotel for the night then fly back.
Johnny Depp
1/18/2018 5:09pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2018 5:10pm
Cycle Ranch or Swan would be good Texas venues. I see MX Sports already has the Underground on the schedule for ATV Nationals, so they may have an in if the MX nationals ever come back. We can't even cover the U.S, I don't know why we would go to Canada?
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3657th
1/18/2018 5:28pm
Drtbykr wrote:
I think it would awesome, bring Carrie Bolling and Nicole Cesa to ??. Make Canada Great...er. Could anyone host it besides Walton. It seems to be...

Make Canada Great...er.

Carrie and Nicole are great but if they ever cross the border to host an AMA round I say we bring them back instead.

57F1VE
1/18/2018 6:14pm
From someone who has been to Eastern Canadian rounds and Freestone, here are my thoughts:

1. Gopher is by far the gnarliest sand track I've ever seen. We went to club, njmp, Orlando mx to get ready and were still blown away. But I don't think they have enough parking

2. Deschembault would be an AMAZING national, but it has even less parking.

3. Notre Dame was basically a local track that got booked bc ulverton got shut down and Notre Dame was close enough for teams to not change plans. Also didn't hurt that it's owned by Benoits. They did a ton of work and it was cool, but also not enough parking and the track is very narrow in places and has some very dangerous area's.

4. Freestone was always very hot and wind was an issue. Other than that, not sure of a reason.

5. Anyone else think WW Ranch should get one?
kzizok
Fantasy
1876th
1/18/2018 6:28pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2018 6:29pm
Cycle Ranch or Swan would be good Texas venues. I see MX Sports already has the Underground on the schedule for ATV Nationals, so they may...
Cycle Ranch or Swan would be good Texas venues. I see MX Sports already has the Underground on the schedule for ATV Nationals, so they may have an in if the MX nationals ever come back. We can't even cover the U.S, I don't know why we would go to Canada?
Those would be awesome rounds (Swan might get a litte cramped). I’ve always thought Oak Hill would be a good one too (can see most of the track, lots of land, etc). Plus, it’s even closer to the metroplex for convenience.
1/18/2018 6:41pm
Freestone had a great promoter in Tony Miller but that location in the middle of nowhere and a track with crap viewing was not conducive to a great spectator experience.

Cycle Ranch has had spotty ownership for most of the past 10 years and doesn't have the infrastructure to hold a National without a major investment. Track would be great for spectators and racing.

Swan could make it work as Trey does it every October and pulls a great crowd for the Pro Challenge. Oakhill had a national back in the 70's/80's and is close enough to Dallas.

I'm thinking that there is not a push for Texas based more on the ambient temps during the summer. We are just a little cooler than Hell in June and the Devil doesn't visit during July & August since it's cooler at his place.

Post a reply to: Thought: Canadian rounds to AMA outdoor MX series

The Latest