Those ruts where Stewart went down....

Matt Wozney
6/3/2012 7:54pm
jtomasik wrote:
Not full speed, but you can see the rut split on James right where he goes down.

https://youtu.be/Q_TJOzUUNs8
Remember the field of view on a GoPro is a lot wider/further back than actual eyesight. So, it would seem farther away with what the GoPro picks up.

In my opinion, NO ONE, even if the riders are all on the other side of the track, should even cross near the landing of a blind jump. Period. That's just a gamble no one should take. It's like jumping with a badly damaged bungy cord. A lapped rider can come out of no where or a rider may have been down in the corner before and gets going again. From that view, you don't see the corner before it. So, a very sketchy spot to be even thinking about crossing, when the track is hot or not.

For that section, I walked all the way down to the next small double jump into the S turn to cross, just so I can see the entire section 100% before crossing. And I seen other seasoned photogs/video guys do the same thing. It's just smart, common sense, and respect to the racers, track officials, etc.....

Whenever I have to cross, it's a visible area. Usually it's an area where I can see about 20-30 seconds of the track or more and I always do a double/triple look to make sure and follow the last few riders that come by. I would do this early in the race when most/all of the riders are grouped closer together and on the other end of the track from where I have to cross. Also, if media needs to cross a section, they should alert a flagger/track official to see if the course is clear. But I don't make it a priority to cross the track. If I have to/need to, then, I'm extra cautious and aware. Again, common sense....

We all know riders walk the track to check it out. Maybe the media (especially new or local) needs to do the same thing?

Just my .03 cents and my view from being out there.....
jeffro503
6/3/2012 7:56pm
Outsider wrote:
Anyone saying that it wouldn't mess with your head to come over a huge, blind, downhill jump and have some clown standing in your line, is...
Anyone saying that it wouldn't mess with your head to come over a huge, blind, downhill jump and have some clown standing in your line, is high, at best. JMO

Oh, and since when is it a good idea to hit the brakes when leaning into a rut?
jeffro503 wrote:
1.) the guy wasn't standing in Stewart's line......in fact he was in the middle of the track when James was about 150' away.....completely "off" the track...
1.) the guy wasn't standing in Stewart's line......in fact he was in the middle of the track when James was about 150' away.....completely "off" the track before he passed him.

2.) He was on the gas hard on the landing....for the next....what 100' before he even got to the ruts.......then passed the guy , and wrecked about 100' past him.

That whole section looked like about an 1/8th of a mile long from the jump all the way to the corner. Are you saying he had no chance what so ever so slow down a bit and choose a line he was comfortable with? He "DID" choose a line he was comfortable with......the same line he used the previous 2 laps.....and the same one on the 4th lap when he wrecked.
Outsider wrote:
I'm saying he was most likely distracted, as in WTF was that guy doing? Like, say, trying to move something off the track? I know I...
I'm saying he was most likely distracted, as in WTF was that guy doing? Like, say, trying to move something off the track? I know I would be wondering what the hell was going on. And you should know with ruts like that, you need to be focused or you'll lose your balance and bad things happen. I'm liking the new James and think we should just take his word for it and move on. Really, who cares, it's fucked we may have lost out on a close series.
I agree with what you said man......I really do. I just find it funny that the hard core Stewart fans are so quick to throw the blame at anyone else but James. I myself have been cheering for the dude this year to.....I think he's been doing great! But I'm not blindly in love with the guy and worship the ground he walks on.....like some others in here. In their eyes.....you would swear James was the second coming of Christ......fer Christs sake!
Outsider
6/3/2012 8:09pm
jeffro503 wrote:
I agree with what you said man......I really do. I just find it funny that the hard core Stewart fans are so quick to throw the...
I agree with what you said man......I really do. I just find it funny that the hard core Stewart fans are so quick to throw the blame at anyone else but James. I myself have been cheering for the dude this year to.....I think he's been doing great! But I'm not blindly in love with the guy and worship the ground he walks on.....like some others in here. In their eyes.....you would swear James was the second coming of Christ......fer Christs sake!
Yeah, that would be Kongols. He's a bit of a special case...Woohoo

The Shop

Tim507
6/3/2012 8:51pm
jtomasik wrote:
That's what I love about Thunder Valley. That corner is always a shitter. It's at the base of a relatively long downhill (with that jump prior...
That's what I love about Thunder Valley. That corner is always a shitter. It's at the base of a relatively long downhill (with that jump prior to it), and it always ruts up big time. It's kinda weird, 'cause you come off that jump and it seems every lap it's like, "oh shit, I'm at this part of the track again".

No baggin' on Stewy for going down there from this guy. That momentary distraction from the guy crossing the track could make anyone fall prey to those ruts. That's one wicked section, and he was hitting it faster than anyone.
T Valley has hard soil add a bunch of new top soil and or sand on it and the water will go through the new "soil" and run down the hill and settle at the first low spot...damn that is where the ruts are! Man made ruts.......I long for natural terrain motocross!

As far as the distraction.......JS needs no excuses, he got gobbled up in those frigen ruts and was tossed out. Remember ....slow down to go fast!
Prairieboy43
6/3/2012 8:51pm
Try going through these at a high rate of speed... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2012/06/03/IMG_2962_446509.jpg[/img]
Try going through these at a high rate of speed...
Gnarly dude.
jmar
6/3/2012 9:14pm
Lines can change every lap.

That's a mess of rut's, and if you choose to gamble on any one of those lines, then there is a good chance that you may be in for a big surprise.

It's called racing. And sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose.
carlosmacho
6/3/2012 9:18pm
jeffro503 wrote:
I agree with what you said man......I really do. I just find it funny that the hard core Stewart fans are so quick to throw the...
"blame at anyone else but James"

Do you think anyone on this board would blame a photographer for distracting James if no photographer ran in front of him? No.

It is a legitimate reason, Did he crash there the previous laps? No. No one is in love with him, take all the emotion and fanboism away and what do you have left, someone crossed in front of a rider on an mx track right after a jump and before a highly technical area of the track which requires a lot of concentration, then the rider was distracted and crashed.

Knowing James can do 24-0 season, knowing he had been 4-0 so far, knowing he was in the lead with no pressure, and James said what happened and it did happen that someone crossed the track. I am going to give the benefit of the doubt to James. Any reasonable unemotionally attached person would. Which suggest you are emotional persuaded by your dislike for James.
jmar
6/3/2012 9:47pm
jeffro503 wrote:
"blame at anyone else but James" Do you think anyone on this board would blame a photographer for distracting James if no photographer ran in front...

Do you think anyone on this board would blame a photographer for distracting James if no photographer ran in front of him? No.

It is a legitimate reason, Did he crash there the previous laps? No. No one is in love with him, take all the emotion and fanboism away and what do you have left, someone crossed in front of a rider on an mx track right after a jump and before a highly technical area of the track which requires a lot of concentration, then the rider was distracted and crashed.

Knowing James can do 24-0 season, knowing he had been 4-0 so far, knowing he was in the lead with no pressure, and James said what happened and it did happen that someone crossed the track. I am going to give the benefit of the doubt to James. Any reasonable unemotionally attached person would. Which suggest you are emotional persuaded by your dislike for James.
24 and 0 was some time ago.

Honestly, you seem to be the one that is being emotional about this incident. It's racing, and James was busy with his game plan of putting as much time as he could on the rest of the field early in the race, and it didn't work out so well.

As I have said, it's racing, and I wish James, and the rest of the riders nothing more than my best of wishes.
jeffro503
6/3/2012 10:28pm
jeffro503 wrote:
"blame at anyone else but James" Do you think anyone on this board would blame a photographer for distracting James if no photographer ran in front...

Dear Nacho........

IceMan446
6/3/2012 10:30pm
Think about it.

If you are driving down a road with no cars in front of you and as you get 100 feet or so from a drive way, a car pulls out into the drive way, not in front of you but right up to the edge of the drive way. What do you do?

You will either let off the gas, hit the brakes a little or move to your left. Not even really meaning to, those are just second nature things you do because of what is in front of you and what could happen. And it only takes a split second of your concentration away from what you are doing.

Same thing in this case. The guy didn't cause the crash but if it caused James to switch lines its part of the reason.

And that's all it took, going that fast into a section of ruts like that takes full concentration and if you aren't fully committed and concentrated those types of crashes happen.

Tough luck and I really hope he isn't hurt. It looked like he was hurt to me but who knows.
Motodude
6/3/2012 10:51pm
James doesnt always follow ruts. Look at some of his SX footage and you'll see him cross rut regularly. Dude on the track is a BIG BIG no no, but not the cause of the crash...James doing his usual 'ruts? what ruts?' attitude often pays off with big time savings, however this time he suffered the negative outcome of the risky line selection in this care.. He could have easily railed the outside ruts, played a 75/25 de-risking move until way past the track walker...regain concentration and proceed. Unforced error.
6/3/2012 11:40pm
jeffro503 wrote:

Are u smoking crack "knowing he was in the lead with no pressure" did u not watch Freestone last weekend Dungey pressured Stewart for and hour +4 laps, if you paid attention James was Timid/Pressured from the moment the gate dropped at Thunder Valley why do u think he made 10 passes in 2 laps.
julienmark
6/4/2012 12:39am
So what your really saying is James is a big NO for MXON

Cause i expect a couple of ruts!
TY6
6/4/2012 1:31am
To the vitards thinking that the camera man/mechanic caused the crash, you have to be taking the piss? To say that the anonymous person distracted James is bullshit. If James can go through a 30+2 with Dungey revving right behind him on his tail as opposed to someone on the side of the track nowhere near his line could not possibly distract him and make him crash. He simply cross-rutted and went down, the evidence is overwhelming.
6/4/2012 1:41am
Part of being an elite sportsperson is processing a situation and then moving on, supercross is a good example, people are going down all around them yet the riders can still get around the track at race pace. The Alessi crash from a couple of years ago is another, all the riders who saw him there or even hit him didn't lay there bike over in the next corner. He crashed, its a handy excuse.
jamma10
6/4/2012 2:52am
TY6 wrote:
To the vitards thinking that the camera man/mechanic caused the crash, you have to be taking the piss? To say that the anonymous person distracted James...
To the vitards thinking that the camera man/mechanic caused the crash, you have to be taking the piss? To say that the anonymous person distracted James is bullshit. If James can go through a 30+2 with Dungey revving right behind him on his tail as opposed to someone on the side of the track nowhere near his line could not possibly distract him and make him crash. He simply cross-rutted and went down, the evidence is overwhelming.
THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS.
sc961
6/4/2012 5:23am
Great pic Matt.

After attending the MXDN at this track, my son and I talked about how difficult that track would be to go fast on. Hard to get any flow, and just plain nasty.

There's only one person that knows if that photog created a hazard. NO ONE else has a clue. I hope James is healthy and can get back on that Zook. The racing will not be nearly as intersting if James can't compete.
Drfletcher
6/4/2012 5:29am
Cmon! Everyone knew it was a matter of time before he had a crash. If his hand wouldn't have been caught, he would have been right back on the bike chasing down Dungey. Lucky for Stewart to crash on his shoulder like that in the softer stuff than on some of that hard park that is on the track. I don't care who you are, when your rear end kicks out that much, you are probably going down.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
6/4/2012 6:52am
jeffro503 wrote:

I think why so many people are unwilling to "give the benefit of doubt" to James is that it seems every other time he blames it on someone else. What makes this time different? IE: when he ran into Milsaps, "I stalled it when davi hit me". but if you watch the gopro and put an alignment line parallel with the centerline stripe on his helmet you see he is not even distracted enough to turn his head even a minutia in the direction of the "distraction". His helmet stays locked onto his line. I also don't see any change in the bikes attitude or body from the camera view from the front where you would expect him to first notice the "distraction". I agree some parts of the track need more attention than others but there are so many distractions all the time. Now Kevin trying to ride over a Yamaha, that's a distraction. I think JS would have gained many fans had he just said, "I always race to win and sometimes you make a mistake".
Don't you think it 's just "possible" that his confidence is running so high that a crash was inevitable and this just happened to be the place? That IS his own self described MO, hero or zero. I personally think JS did what JS does, rides insanely fast and the smallest of errors caused the crash. And if you are going by what James "said", he also said last week he's been getting pressure by RD, maybe that's the distraction. Ya just don't know.
tm
jtomasik
6/4/2012 9:24am
jeffro503 wrote:
There was no "Close call" what so ever.....the dude was completely ff the track. "[b]No matter whether or not it was a contributor to Stew going...
There was no "Close call" what so ever.....the dude was completely ff the track.

"No matter whether or not it was a contributor to Stew going down is irrelevant."......What?

Of course it was stupid.......it would of been even more stupid if the guy actually endangered one of the riders.....which he didn't. And I still don't see how James came into that section full throttle , in "HIS" preferred line ( the one he had been using )......wrecks 100' later......and then you guys blame the dude crossing the track.

Christ.....Even james said himself " That's racing ".......yeah he got distracted..........you dudes think that is the biggest distraction a rider can have during a moto?

What about....

Changing rutted lines every lap because that section was a mess to begin with?
yelling fans?
camera flashes going off in front of you?
different obstacles?
Riders you are battling with?
lappers?
tuff blocks?

And countless other things that could throw your concentration off? Heaven forbid if a fly flew in front of him during a race.....he may freak out and wad his brains out. Or a 4yr old kid waves at him from behind the fence.......think of the carnage!!

And again....for the 10th time!.....I'm bummed James is hurt. I wish it wasn't true....but I aint stupid enough to cast a blame on a dude crossing the track that far away. Fucking ridiculous.
Jesus. Can't you comprehend?

I said "Maybe Stewart might've wrecked without that happening, maybe not." ...might've....maybe...

It means I AM NOT SURE. And, neither are you. I'm saying it might've had something to do with it, it might not've, but regardless, CROSSING THE TRACK when guys are on their bikes is wrong, stupid, and should not happen.
jeffro503
6/4/2012 9:27am
jeffro503 wrote:
There was no "Close call" what so ever.....the dude was completely ff the track. "[b]No matter whether or not it was a contributor to Stew going...
There was no "Close call" what so ever.....the dude was completely ff the track.

"No matter whether or not it was a contributor to Stew going down is irrelevant."......What?

Of course it was stupid.......it would of been even more stupid if the guy actually endangered one of the riders.....which he didn't. And I still don't see how James came into that section full throttle , in "HIS" preferred line ( the one he had been using )......wrecks 100' later......and then you guys blame the dude crossing the track.

Christ.....Even james said himself " That's racing ".......yeah he got distracted..........you dudes think that is the biggest distraction a rider can have during a moto?

What about....

Changing rutted lines every lap because that section was a mess to begin with?
yelling fans?
camera flashes going off in front of you?
different obstacles?
Riders you are battling with?
lappers?
tuff blocks?

And countless other things that could throw your concentration off? Heaven forbid if a fly flew in front of him during a race.....he may freak out and wad his brains out. Or a 4yr old kid waves at him from behind the fence.......think of the carnage!!

And again....for the 10th time!.....I'm bummed James is hurt. I wish it wasn't true....but I aint stupid enough to cast a blame on a dude crossing the track that far away. Fucking ridiculous.
jtomasik wrote:
Jesus. Can't you comprehend? I said "[u]Maybe[/u] Stewart [u]might've[/u] wrecked without that happening, [u]maybe [/u]not." ...might've....maybe... It means I AM NOT SURE. And, neither are you...
Jesus. Can't you comprehend?

I said "Maybe Stewart might've wrecked without that happening, maybe not." ...might've....maybe...

It means I AM NOT SURE. And, neither are you. I'm saying it might've had something to do with it, it might not've, but regardless, CROSSING THE TRACK when guys are on their bikes is wrong, stupid, and should not happen.
JT....I get it!! We are arguing over the exact same thing. Read my last reply right above yours sheeesh.
wydopen
6/4/2012 9:31am
MiSledder wrote:
That track looks like a shit hole
agreed...track was not fun to watch on tv....the first few laps made the 450 riders looked like amateurs...zero flow and those uphill switchbacks sucked....

i was sooo bummed to see james go down...i didnt even want to finish watching the race..
jtomasik
6/4/2012 9:33am
wydopen wrote:
agreed...track was not fun to watch on tv....the first few laps made the 450 riders looked like amateurs...zero flow and those uphill switchbacks sucked.... i was...
agreed...track was not fun to watch on tv....the first few laps made the 450 riders looked like amateurs...zero flow and those uphill switchbacks sucked....

i was sooo bummed to see james go down...i didnt even want to finish watching the race..
It's actually a blast to ride. Very tough track....unless you're one of those guys who won't pull his bike out of the truck until the track gets groomed.
jtomasik
6/4/2012 9:34am
jeffro503 wrote:
JT....I get it!! We are arguing over the exact same thing. Read my last reply right above yours sheeesh.
I did see that last post and was wondering WTF why are you giving me shit?...sounds like we agree...lol.
6/4/2012 9:43am
wydopen wrote:
agreed...track was not fun to watch on tv....the first few laps made the 450 riders looked like amateurs...zero flow and those uphill switchbacks sucked.... i was...

jtomasik wrote:
It's actually a blast to ride. Very tough track....unless you're one of those guys who won't pull his bike out of the truck until the track...
It's actually a blast to ride. Very tough track....unless you're one of those guys who won't pull his bike out of the truck until the track gets groomed.
Been there several times as a spectator and/or shooting photos, as well as the old Lakewood track, and the Castle Rock track. Like you said it's a great track especially if you don't get to ride tracks very often with that degree of elevation change. However they are usually not the "most groomed" tracks on the schedule, but there is nothing wrong with that!
Cygnus
6/4/2012 9:46am
The worst part about the track is all the salt and magnesium chloride in the street sweepings. If you don't go straight to the bike wash it will eat the thing away literally.
wydopen
6/4/2012 9:50am
wydopen wrote:

jtomasik wrote:
It's actually a blast to ride. Very tough track....unless you're one of those guys who won't pull his bike out of the truck until the track...
its prob fun to ride but not fun to watch...dont get me wrong i love watching the pros go at it when its super rough but when guys are getting their feet blown off the pegs on the inside lines on the first lap its too much....

looked like bad prep and shit dirt to me...i guess im spoiled cause my local track is world class with excellent dirt/prep/elevation changes....

ps i hope the dungey fans are savoring this moment because the only way the pumpkin is going to get a moto win is if james crashes or doesn't line up..

22-2
jtomasik
6/4/2012 9:52am
Been there several times as a spectator and/or shooting photos, as well as the old Lakewood track, and the Castle Rock track. Like you said it's...
Been there several times as a spectator and/or shooting photos, as well as the old Lakewood track, and the Castle Rock track. Like you said it's a great track especially if you don't get to ride tracks very often with that degree of elevation change. However they are usually not the "most groomed" tracks on the schedule, but there is nothing wrong with that!
Guys here have mentioned the weird soil they created on that track, which lends to it breaking down pretty quickly. I like the soil better now than 10 years ago. When they were first starting to bring in the street sweeper stuff, I used to have to pre-walk the track and pick out crazy shit like sections of pipe, broken pieces of wood, etc. I really didn't like to fall on that stuff..lol. But, that track used to blue groove very easily. The natural soil is one level below rock in that area. Now, it ruts very easily and gets real bumpy, but, to me, that's a good thing. Just my personal preference. A good, groomed Thunder Valley probably isn't much fun to the 250 F's, especially because of the altitude. I noticed the 250 F's in the second moto weren't jumping the tougher jumps.

Post a reply to: Those ruts where Stewart went down....

The Latest