Those of you who broke their wrist and had pins in: (distal radius)

Edited Date/Time 9/21/2020 2:43pm
How long was it until you started riding again? I had surgery 2 weeks ago and it’ll be 4 weeks when I hit the state championship... I need to go and hope to ride with a mobius brace if I get my pins out. I heard recovery for a 15 year old is about 3-4 weeks. Thoughts?
|
crusher773
9/15/2020 5:56pm
Bad idea dude. Unless you want to be right back in the same place overdue it and get some strength back. 8 weeks
duckdog77
9/15/2020 6:17pm
Personally I don’t think I’ve ever broke a bone and not been in a cast for at least 6-8 weeks. Recovery was always 2-3 months.

Just had a screw put in my scaphoid 8 weeks cast, 1 month splint w/ stretching and rehab. Was back on the bike in 3 months w/ mobius wrist brace.
kxf250f176
Fantasy
1232nd
9/15/2020 6:17pm
Listen to your doctor. Wrist is an important joint you can really mess up and for a state championship? Trust me, no person will ever care about or remember a state championship even if you get it as you get older compared to loss of motion in your wrist which you will always remember.
beamer
9/15/2020 6:34pm
I was casted for 8 weeks total , had basically zero range of motion once it was removed and it took a while to get back. Best of luck but my advise would be to be patient and listen to your body.

The Shop

kxf250f176
Fantasy
1232nd
9/15/2020 6:42pm
To follow up after beamer, there's different severity of breaks and ways to fix. I had mine plated. It was structurally sound a month after surgery but I couldn't twist my throttle hand more than 5 degrees. Took over a month of physical therapy to get range of motion back.
Mmurphree37
9/15/2020 6:48pm
Shattered my wrist, had 3 pins in. Same deal, weeks and weeks of therapy and hardly any movement. Was able to ride exactly 93 days after. Wrist injuries are no joke. I definitely wouldn’t rush it. Better off in the long run.
Tumblin
9/15/2020 7:18pm
I popped several ligaments off their wrist anchors...surgery for screws to anchor and a pin to align.
Required 6 weeks casted but once out I wanted it back on!
Endured months of therapy, its ridiculous how much mobility and strength you lose. It's not only wrist, but each finger, thumb and then your grip.
Damn near a year before I felt I was back to 90%
Jdawggg
9/15/2020 7:28pm
Broke my distal radius no pins tried to ride at 5 weeks and it wasn’t fun..was at least 8 weeks out before I started to hit everything then the carpel tunnel came but that is another story..if you want to just roll around might be ok but to be competitive is gonna be rough
9/15/2020 8:03pm Edited Date/Time 9/15/2020 8:04pm
xrays dont lie and neither do your pain receptors. At this stage in the season, and you being from new york we about done riding for this year man.....id just chill until spring and let it heal up real nice. Come back to riding in April. Get aggressive with physical therapy if you want to strengthen it up.

although I will say when i broke my collarbone when I was 15 I think in 2 months I was feeling great. Did that again at 28 and it took me 6 months. Young is on your side, but dont be a hero. strength train yourself up with PT and come back in the spring.....
Motoxdoc
9/15/2020 8:06pm Edited Date/Time 9/15/2020 9:28pm
I have a pin in my right radial styloid. It’s been so long that I don’t even notice it anymore. I think I did it in 96. As I recall it was the usual 6-8 weeks. I’m guessing I started riding after about 10 weeks. I’ve done a radius/ulna on both sides...only needed hardware on the right. The good news is as long as your wrist joint isn’t compromised it should pretty much be a 100% recovery.

Edit: I just replied to the title of your post on my cell...when I got home I read your actual post. Oh hell no! if that pin is in for good I would wait at least 6-8 weeks from installation...and even then you need time to work up to competitive "state championship" speed...a general rule is, as much time back on the bike as you spent off of it. If the pin(s) are coming out, you are starting almost right back at the beginning as far as required healing time. Are the pins sticking out of the surface of your skin?....meaning they will come out in 3-4 weeks...even then, there's no way you're going to be a competitive mx'er days later. You just have to suck it up and realize you're going to miss one of the more fun races of the year because of an untimely injury. I know how you feel, it's a total bummer, but If you're lucky, you'll race long enough to where this will happen once in a while and eventually you will realize, there's always another race waiting for you when you're ready!
ProKawi24
9/15/2020 8:52pm
I've broken both wrists twice but when I had my major accident that paralyzed me I also broke my right wrist with 2 surgeries, bunch of pins, etc. Obviously I was immobile for a long time and went through tons of rehab for everything but even to this day 20 years later my hand still routinely goes numb and has less strength than my left. I'm sure with modern technology things have gotten better since but my best advice would be to NOT rush it. Let the body heal, do the proper rehab, rebuild the muscle and range of motion and only then go back to riding. Taking that extra couple months could result in a lifetime of feeling normal compared to rushing it and never feeling right again.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
9/16/2020 9:58am
If you want to be stronger and faster when you are 16, wait for this one to heal up. Sorry man, but your future self will thank you.
Porch32
9/17/2020 8:08am
I shattered the tip of my radius along with broken tip of ulna and displaced wrist, had a pin sticking out for 1 month - I couldnt get back on the bike until 11 months after. Back and forth between soft/hard casts and a brace for 5 months... maybe I'm just a bitch but it was so horrible and I never want to break a wrist ever again in my life but this is the one time I listened to my doctor.
9/17/2020 8:10am
How long was it until you started riding again? I had surgery 2 weeks ago and it’ll be 4 weeks when I hit the state championship...
How long was it until you started riding again? I had surgery 2 weeks ago and it’ll be 4 weeks when I hit the state championship... I need to go and hope to ride with a mobius brace if I get my pins out. I heard recovery for a 15 year old is about 3-4 weeks. Thoughts?
Update: I’m not racing as I don’t want to risk it. Thanks for the input. The doctor said I’m healing good and he will have me going out of these pins soon. I’ve decided to take the season off to come back stronger next year.
KDXGarage
9/17/2020 9:45am
Wisest young person on this whole dang forum!!

You have plenty of time to recover. Heal up.
9/17/2020 9:49am
Motoxdoc wrote:
I have a pin in my right radial styloid. It’s been so long that I don’t even notice it anymore. I think I did it in...
I have a pin in my right radial styloid. It’s been so long that I don’t even notice it anymore. I think I did it in 96. As I recall it was the usual 6-8 weeks. I’m guessing I started riding after about 10 weeks. I’ve done a radius/ulna on both sides...only needed hardware on the right. The good news is as long as your wrist joint isn’t compromised it should pretty much be a 100% recovery.

Edit: I just replied to the title of your post on my cell...when I got home I read your actual post. Oh hell no! if that pin is in for good I would wait at least 6-8 weeks from installation...and even then you need time to work up to competitive "state championship" speed...a general rule is, as much time back on the bike as you spent off of it. If the pin(s) are coming out, you are starting almost right back at the beginning as far as required healing time. Are the pins sticking out of the surface of your skin?....meaning they will come out in 3-4 weeks...even then, there's no way you're going to be a competitive mx'er days later. You just have to suck it up and realize you're going to miss one of the more fun races of the year because of an untimely injury. I know how you feel, it's a total bummer, but If you're lucky, you'll race long enough to where this will happen once in a while and eventually you will realize, there's always another race waiting for you when you're ready!
Yep. I’m taking the season off and going hard next year. Came to the conclusion that it’s not worth it. And btw, yes. They are pins that will be removed. I will come back strong and hard next year !
9/17/2020 10:22am Edited Date/Time 9/17/2020 10:22am
That distal radius fracture can lead to a ruptured thumb extensor tendon if you don't treat the break and let it heal properly. Then you'll be out for 3 months. Ask me how I know.

flymoto
9/17/2020 12:06pm
Pinned scaphoid here. Cast for 8 weeks, then light physio really, hardly any movement at all now. Anyways, after 5 weeks I had a X-ray and my bone hadn’t even started healing. It’s unlikely that you’ll make it, honestly I wouldn’t risk it.

Only one thing that seriously helped me was comfrey oil, within a few weeks of applying my bone had healed very well,
gharmon
9/17/2020 12:53pm
I broke mine on aug. 10th 2014. had surgery the 19th and was informed to do rehab for 8 weeks. non-weight bearing for 12 weeks. I rode exactly three weeks later (so 15 weeks in total) and that first ride back resulted in a shatter acetabulum (hip socket) ruptured bladder, compound distal left femur and two broken ribs. also cut femoral vein. I still think it was karma for riding too. soon. the ortho doc told me to be safe I should wait til the new year with was about 10 days later.

There will always be another state championship to chase.

Good luck,

baxterj787
9/17/2020 12:55pm
I broke mine at 38 YO; I am now 45. Multiple pins and an internal brace. No cast except the short time between the fracture and the surgery. My first ride back was 7 months after the injury.

I had a terrific PT program. I have full finger dexterity after it was all said and done. Wrist has 75% ROM on a good day. No pain all these years later..

You are wise to let this heal; hope you are riding soon.
snape99
9/21/2020 7:20am Edited Date/Time 9/21/2020 7:22am
B Lenny
9/21/2020 2:36pm Edited Date/Time 9/21/2020 2:43pm
How long was it until you started riding again? I had surgery 2 weeks ago and it’ll be 4 weeks when I hit the state championship...
Grandson fractured his growth plate and he's 15..Was in a cast for 4 weeks..They wanted to make sure it healed properly so they put him in a cast..He's fine now..

Post a reply to: Those of you who broke their wrist and had pins in: (distal radius)

The Latest