Those of you seeking sponsors

flarider
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 5:30pm
1. It's "sponsors" not "sponcers" and yes, spelling counts. No one wants to sponsor an illiterate moron. Have someone proofread your resume or whatever letter you send a company.
2. No company wants to hear excuses, they want to hear successes. Don't tell a company you got last "Because it was dusty" or "Because it was muddy." Just leave it off. Better to leave off crappy results than make excuses, dumb excuses, as to why you had a bad day.
3. If you're of school age, INCLUDE your grades and maybe a letter from a teacher about how good a student you are. Companies want to help racers, but we also know there is life after racing and only a minute fraction of you will become the next MC or RC. School is important.
4. Stick to a single color and a single font. You might think it looks cool to do half in purple and half in hot pink, but it's not, it hurts the eyes and usually gets trashed right away.
5. K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple, Stupid. Don't need a 20 page resume, don't need a bunch of out of focus pictures of you doing "Bitchin' one leggers over the finish"
6. Speaking of photos, if you feel the need to send some, put them on a single sheet and try to keep it to one action, one of the bike on the stand (to see how neat and clean you keep your equipment) and one of your race trailer (again to see how neat and clean you keep everything)
7. Little Johnny does not make a "team," so to send a resume for "Awesome Super Sick Killer Racing Team, Inc." for little Johnny is silly.
8. You will get NOTHING free, except maybe stickers. If you do get an offer of free, you'll still likely pay freight. If you're so fast you get everything free and pay no freight, you stopped reading this a long time ago.
9. Stickers mean shit, talk means everything. Sponsors want to know and want to hear that you are SELLING our product to your friends and other riders, so they go into the local dealer to buy it. Just because you have a sticker on your bike doesn't mean your job is done. You're a representative of all your product sponsors, sell product. Get your friends to buy your product.
10. The more bigger events you go to, the more support you will get, that's the way it is. A kid who goes to every Am. National and gets 10th will likely get more support than a kid who races one track and smokes everyone every week. The more Nationals you attend, the greater the likelihood your support will increase. The reason for this is the greater commitment made to the sport, which is rewarded by the industry through sponsorship.
|
RACEGUY
12/15/2010 1:17pm
A big AMEN to all of that FLA.
Sparkalounger
12/15/2010 1:36pm
Not every sponsor agrees with #10...
Everyone at a "national event" is "sponsored", most don't care about anyone else and 10th doesn't get you any press...

dc1236
12/15/2010 1:40pm
Good post!
Listing goals - racing and personal as well helps. I use to put in newspaper photos of me, as well as newspaper clippings of results (back in the day!). Those ones were the submittals that got me the calls.
One other good point to mention, is that maybe you won't get the factory level sponsorship this year or next year that you are seeking, but all the effort might help for a future job employment within the motorcycle industry after college, or high school. Personality can be just as important as results keep in mind.
flarider
12/15/2010 1:43pm
Not every sponsor agrees with #10...
Everyone at a "national event" is "sponsored", most don't care about anyone else and 10th doesn't get you any press...

Ah, but 10th place at LL's is also usually a top dog in his area or local tracks as well.

The Shop

Renner153
Fantasy
3578th
12/15/2010 1:57pm
flarider wrote:
1. It's "sponsors" not "sponcers" and yes, spelling counts. No one wants to sponsor an illiterate moron. Have someone proofread your resume or whatever letter you...
1. It's "sponsors" not "sponcers" and yes, spelling counts. No one wants to sponsor an illiterate moron. Have someone proofread your resume or whatever letter you send a company.
2. No company wants to hear excuses, they want to hear successes. Don't tell a company you got last "Because it was dusty" or "Because it was muddy." Just leave it off. Better to leave off crappy results than make excuses, dumb excuses, as to why you had a bad day.
3. If you're of school age, INCLUDE your grades and maybe a letter from a teacher about how good a student you are. Companies want to help racers, but we also know there is life after racing and only a minute fraction of you will become the next MC or RC. School is important.
4. Stick to a single color and a single font. You might think it looks cool to do half in purple and half in hot pink, but it's not, it hurts the eyes and usually gets trashed right away.
5. K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple, Stupid. Don't need a 20 page resume, don't need a bunch of out of focus pictures of you doing "Bitchin' one leggers over the finish"
6. Speaking of photos, if you feel the need to send some, put them on a single sheet and try to keep it to one action, one of the bike on the stand (to see how neat and clean you keep your equipment) and one of your race trailer (again to see how neat and clean you keep everything)
7. Little Johnny does not make a "team," so to send a resume for "Awesome Super Sick Killer Racing Team, Inc." for little Johnny is silly.
8. You will get NOTHING free, except maybe stickers. If you do get an offer of free, you'll still likely pay freight. If you're so fast you get everything free and pay no freight, you stopped reading this a long time ago.
9. Stickers mean shit, talk means everything. Sponsors want to know and want to hear that you are SELLING our product to your friends and other riders, so they go into the local dealer to buy it. Just because you have a sticker on your bike doesn't mean your job is done. You're a representative of all your product sponsors, sell product. Get your friends to buy your product.
10. The more bigger events you go to, the more support you will get, that's the way it is. A kid who goes to every Am. National and gets 10th will likely get more support than a kid who races one track and smokes everyone every week. The more Nationals you attend, the greater the likelihood your support will increase. The reason for this is the greater commitment made to the sport, which is rewarded by the industry through sponsorship.
And you would know this how? You act like your in the "industry"Woohoo
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1959th
12/15/2010 2:20pm
sO mE hoMeSkEwlin' jargun willnt git me pro 50 pasint off.!?

Sounds like someone is ears deep in resumes and only about 5 out of 100 are worth reading.
JOHN CHOATE
12/15/2010 2:37pm
#10 "The more bigger events you go to..."? Daaaaaave, shouldn't that read something like "racing in a greater number of the bigger events will likely get more support..."? I know what you meant. Busting your nuts buddy.Tongue
RACEGUY
12/15/2010 2:57pm
Renner153 wrote:
You are kidding.....right?
NP301
12/15/2010 2:57pm Edited Date/Time 12/15/2010 3:00pm
flarider wrote:
1. It's "sponsors" not "sponcers" and yes, spelling counts. No one wants to sponsor an illiterate moron. Have someone proofread your resume or whatever letter you...
Thanks for the self confidence burner on rule ten...... i win 90% of races......but hit no big races besides Kawasaki race of champions....which i got second at with a broken foot! Cool
mx757
12/15/2010 3:01pm
Renner153 wrote:
RACEGUY wrote:
You are kidding.....right?
Nope. Dead serious!
Blake
12/15/2010 3:02pm
Now you will be sponsoring people that pay a resume writer to do the work.

Kinda like a rich frat boy that pays someone to do all the work.

Get a degree, and dumb as a box of rocks other than how to pick the best weed, and snort Oxycontin pills.

Cram for test and pass and you got the typical college grad with a degree nowadays.

The more degrees, the dumber they usually are. I've seen some people and wonder how they got past 3rd grade.

They can't read, can't write, can't do simple math, and really are just plain dumb.
Blake
12/15/2010 3:05pm
flarider wrote:
Renner153 wrote:
you're

Let me guess, you're sponsored?
newmann
12/15/2010 3:29pm
I'd really like Dave to scan and post some of his more entertaining ones. I can only imagine.
12/15/2010 3:40pm Edited Date/Time 12/15/2010 7:06pm
1 other thing I would recommend in your pictures don't make your bike a sticker wagon, only have stickers that you are sponsored by. In another words don't have MAXIMA stickers on your bike especially if you sending it to BELRAY for consideration., just because you "HOPE" to qualify for manufactures contingency does not mean your on the "TEAM". If you or your Mom & Dad bought your bikes mention that, if a dealer gives you a break pass that on and maybe have the dealer write you a recommendation also.
RACEGUY
12/15/2010 3:56pm
newmann wrote:
I'd really like Dave to scan and post some of his more entertaining ones. I can only imagine.
I'll vote for that too. Then again, it just gets me pissed off.

Wonder if Renner153 sent him one...and where it is now.
jndmx
12/15/2010 3:57pm
newmann wrote:
RACEGUY wrote:
I'll vote for that too. Then again, it just gets me pissed off.

Wonder if Renner153 sent him one...and where it is now.
I'm guessing that you don't know who Renner153 is do you......
RACEGUY
12/15/2010 4:01pm
jndmx wrote:
Oh, but I DO know. That's why I can't believe he wouldn't know who Dave is.
T-Fish
Fantasy
173rd
12/15/2010 4:18pm
Man, what does a guy have to do to get some free Engine Ice for his Dodge Dart and his KTM 300SXS?

He'd pay for the freight!!!

Or a hat maybe...
jndmx
12/15/2010 4:19pm
jndmx wrote:
RACEGUY wrote:
Oh, but I DO know. That's why I can't believe he wouldn't know who Dave is.
OK so you know who he is......you didn't get the sarcasm?
I mean come on....who doesn't know who Dave is!?
RACEGUY
12/15/2010 4:26pm
jndmx wrote:
That's why I asked in the first place. Sometimes the sarcasm is a little muted.
jndmx
12/15/2010 4:34pm
jndmx wrote:
RACEGUY wrote:
That's why I asked in the first place. Sometimes the sarcasm is a little muted.
I gotcha....just messin around a bit.
flarider
12/15/2010 4:47pm
Considering I have to sit next to Renner153's dumbass older brother for 14 hrs tomorrow on the way to Munich (we're taking the bus), I think he has some clue as to who I might be
Highsider
12/15/2010 5:33pm
flarider wrote:
Considering I have to sit next to Renner153's dumbass older brother for 14 hrs tomorrow on the way to Munich (we're taking the bus), I think...
Considering I have to sit next to Renner153's dumbass older brother for 14 hrs tomorrow on the way to Munich (we're taking the bus), I think he has some clue as to who I might be
Munich, FL?
12/15/2010 5:38pm
Since I didn't get a reply from Dave, we'll be using WalMart antifreeze next year.
pt046
12/15/2010 5:38pm
Simple, uncluttered and to the point works best. When we have to go through hundreds of these we don't want to read books.
zookrider62!
Fantasy
719th
12/15/2010 5:41pm
If youre homeschooled is a parent written note about your good school work acceptable
flarider
12/15/2010 5:53pm
flarider wrote:
Considering I have to sit next to Renner153's dumbass older brother for 14 hrs tomorrow on the way to Munich (we're taking the bus), I think...
Highsider wrote:
Munich, FL?
No, Germany
We go economy
mx5471
12/15/2010 6:25pm
It's the usual story on these message boards. flarider offers good advice and people go off course right away.He makes sense,most of you don't.
JOHN CHOATE
12/15/2010 6:41pm
flarider wrote:
Highsider wrote:
Munich, FL?
flarider wrote:
No, Germany
We go economy
I will fly in the baggage department if I can go with you D!!
CamP
12/15/2010 7:45pm
Blake wrote:
Now you will be sponsoring people that pay a resume writer to do the work. Kinda like a rich frat boy that pays someone to do...
Now you will be sponsoring people that pay a resume writer to do the work.

Kinda like a rich frat boy that pays someone to do all the work.

Get a degree, and dumb as a box of rocks other than how to pick the best weed, and snort Oxycontin pills.

Cram for test and pass and you got the typical college grad with a degree nowadays.

The more degrees, the dumber they usually are. I've seen some people and wonder how they got past 3rd grade.

They can't read, can't write, can't do simple math, and really are just plain dumb.
Sounds like someone that deprecates a college education because he doesn't have one.

Post a reply to: Those of you seeking sponsors

The Latest