Those flaggers don't know how to flag

stantdm
6/8/2017 3:13pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
What would they have done if the rider was laying there with the bike? Let everybody land on him?
That is what they did with Alessi a few years ago. Look that one up on youtube. Not much can be done when you're the leader and the pack is still kind of bunched up behind you.
kkawboy14
6/8/2017 4:30pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
What would they have done if the rider was laying there with the bike? Let everybody land on him?
stantdm wrote:
That is what they did with Alessi a few years ago. Look that one up on youtube. Not much can be done when you're the leader...
That is what they did with Alessi a few years ago. Look that one up on youtube. Not much can be done when you're the leader and the pack is still kind of bunched up behind you.
That was a case of the whole pack right behind you, this other one man they were trickling by for about 6 minutes
ns503
6/8/2017 6:45pm
Harvdog21 wrote:
Having over 15 years of race promoting at the national level, I can tell you that it's not easy finding good flaggers. We use about 50...
Having over 15 years of race promoting at the national level, I can tell you that it's not easy finding good flaggers. We use about 50 flaggers for our round of the outdoor national series, and they are volunteers. It's common that a flagger gets a lunch and a few tickets to the national (and maybe an event t-shirt.)

We have a flagger safety meeting Saturday morning and go over all the situations they may encounter. But it's never perfect. And if the series had to fly 50 flaggers to 12 rounds as professional flaggers, well......someone has to pay for that.

AP's crash was a perfect scenario of very little going right....fast, blind fallaway with a rider visible on the inside of the turn while flaggers waved from the outside. Just glad nobody got seriously hurt.
kkawboy14 wrote:
If he was laying with the bike then he wouldn't have been standing on the side of the track waving people towards it. And half the problem would have been gone.
JustMX
6/8/2017 7:10pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
stantdm wrote:
That is what they did with Alessi a few years ago. Look that one up on youtube. Not much can be done when you're the leader...
kkawboy14 wrote:
That was a case of the whole pack right behind you, this other one man they were trickling by for about 6 minutes
6 Minutes???

did the leaders "trickle" by again....??

The Shop

kkawboy14
6/8/2017 8:11pm
Harvdog21 wrote:
Having over 15 years of race promoting at the national level, I can tell you that it's not easy finding good flaggers. We use about 50...
Having over 15 years of race promoting at the national level, I can tell you that it's not easy finding good flaggers. We use about 50 flaggers for our round of the outdoor national series, and they are volunteers. It's common that a flagger gets a lunch and a few tickets to the national (and maybe an event t-shirt.)

We have a flagger safety meeting Saturday morning and go over all the situations they may encounter. But it's never perfect. And if the series had to fly 50 flaggers to 12 rounds as professional flaggers, well......someone has to pay for that.

AP's crash was a perfect scenario of very little going right....fast, blind fallaway with a rider visible on the inside of the turn while flaggers waved from the outside. Just glad nobody got seriously hurt.
kkawboy14 wrote:
ns503 wrote:
If he was laying with the bike then he wouldn't have been standing on the side of the track waving people towards it. And half the...
If he was laying with the bike then he wouldn't have been standing on the side of the track waving people towards it. And half the problem would have been gone.
Agreed!
kkawboy14
6/8/2017 8:12pm
stantdm wrote:
kkawboy14 wrote:
JustMX wrote:
6 Minutes???

did the leaders "trickle" by again....??
I was looking for you...... good catch!
JustMX
6/9/2017 11:45am
So it was a test?

I see....

Whew! I passed
kkawboy14
6/9/2017 12:49pm
JustMX wrote:
So it was a test?

I see....

Whew! I passed
It was a stretch but yeah you did good catching that!
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
6/10/2017 5:00am
If AP would have ran across the track instead of standing in the tracking pointing towards his bike, maybe this wouldnt even be a thing. If he would have done so instead of standing on the other side of the track, maybe the flagger would have knew to get out there and flag so AP could grab his bike. He is a pro bros.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
6/10/2017 8:57pm
Maybe they should cut down all the trees at Washougal while they are at it. Pinch
bvm111
6/10/2017 10:40pm
How is this thread still alive????

Can we beat this dead horse a few more times next week just to make sure???
DC
6/11/2017 7:37am Edited Date/Time 6/11/2017 7:48am
Reese, those are the Asterisk Mobile Medics and I believe that was two years ago. The yellow mule is John Ayers trying to see the whole track and know which maintenance issues to make in the 11 minutes he has on between motos to get the tractors on and off the track. They are both necessary for safety and track concerns.

Seventeen years ago Robbie Reynard hit a caution flagger trying to get to his spot after cutting half the track on the first lap of practice to get ahead of everyone else. Racing through the infield is now illegal too.

Whether it's first or 35th that goes down and causes a flagging issue, we're watching and constantly trying to come up with better ideas and procedures. Thanks.

DC
Racer X
6/11/2017 8:25am
Harvdog21 wrote:

If having professionals flag is too expensive then maybe the whole series needs to be re-evaluated. Could any cost cutting measures be taken to help pay for a safer series? Manufacturers spend millions getting riders out on the track but don't seem all that concerned about the safety of the tracks they are asking them to race on. How many people on average attend a national? Like another poster mentioned, raise the ticket price two dollars and...... well..... that's probably around $1200 per flagger.
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
6/11/2017 10:56am
Harvdog21 wrote:

Rushton597 wrote:
If having professionals flag is too expensive then maybe the whole series needs to be re-evaluated. Could any cost cutting measures be taken to help pay...
If having professionals flag is too expensive then maybe the whole series needs to be re-evaluated. Could any cost cutting measures be taken to help pay for a safer series? Manufacturers spend millions getting riders out on the track but don't seem all that concerned about the safety of the tracks they are asking them to race on. How many people on average attend a national? Like another poster mentioned, raise the ticket price two dollars and...... well..... that's probably around $1200 per flagger.
Funny, it's always raise the ticket price a buck or two to raise the purse or to add safety. Ticket prices have doubled over the last 15 years, purse is basically the same and same safety issues. Tracks do look more professional and we sometimes get same day TV coverage so that's good.
DC
6/11/2017 11:01am Edited Date/Time 6/11/2017 11:58am
Re-evaulate the whole series because we can't afford to travel 40 more people around the country, pay for plane tickets and hotels and meals and rental cars?

Again, we have a staff of eleven officials that go to every race and oversee different sections of the track. The idea of taking 40 flaggers on the road for the summer is just not even close to affordable. And go back to the very beginning of this whole conversation -- what did the flaggers do that was so wrong in this situation? They were told not to go out on the track in traffic. The bike was in a bad spot, there was confusion with the rider on the track too and the riders weren't slowing down enough or "exercising caution" on the yellow flag. We can learn from all of those things and take more preventative measures moving forward, which we are.

Motorcycles and their riders can and will fall down, and flaggers and officials can and will make mistakes. It's the nature of the sport when you have 40 fast guys on a mile-long track. We're doing our best to minimize the danger and warn the riders to slow down, just as they are at supercross, MXGP, Canada, the UK, Australia, France and every other professional series in the world of motocross.

Edit: I know everyone is just trying to help...

DC
Racer X
6/11/2017 1:16pm
I personally feel it is time to Dumbgeon this thread. DC, thank you for staying in touch with us here at Vital. I realize professional motocross is not nearly as popular as the NFL (for example), but I doubt Roger Goodell hangs out on an NFL message board and interacts with fans. DC is the Roger Goodell of professional motocross.
JustMX
6/11/2017 1:54pm
Rushton597 wrote:
If having professionals flag is too expensive then maybe the whole series needs to be re-evaluated. Could any cost cutting measures be taken to help pay...
$1200 x 50 flaggers at $2 per ticket would only take 30,000 paying spectators, at every event.

Ummmm..... Only one little problem with your proposal....

6/11/2017 2:10pm Edited Date/Time 6/11/2017 2:10pm
JustMX wrote:
$1200 x 50 flaggers at $2 per ticket would only take 30,000 paying spectators, at every event.

Ummmm..... Only one little problem with your proposal....

I'm sure there are plenty of little problems with my proposal. I was being a bit optimistic regarding attendance figures probably.
6/11/2017 4:22pm
Why is everyone talking about the riders, flaggers, and Nick Wey? 90% of this thread is a complete waste of time.

This is so simple to fix that it hurts my head wondering why we've seen the responses we've seen.

You don't need a wheels on the ground flag. Use amateur rules. I'm guessing most can figure out the fact that in the am's safety is paramount while in the pros money has a negative influence on safety. Davey even says he thinks a no jumping under yellow rule brings too many protests and confusion. Get it? No one wants to see their big fancy rider get protested, so if you're a big shot team you bitch until you feel a little more untouchable. He even says riders might not be able to race through a significant section of track under yellow as though it's reasonable to sacrifice safety for ticket sales. Get it yet? It's too hard to monitor the protests? Figure it out. How about if it's not on tape then don't honor the protest. Problem solved. What are the parameters for a successful protest? Figure it out. How about if both wheels leave the ground the rider loses one position for each time he violates the rule. Why is this so hard? Money and politics.

Not as much of either in the am's. That's why we get rules that actually make logical sense.

Yellow = stay on the ground.

Get rid of wheels on the ground flag.

Red Cross = same as yellow but send the medics over.

Pretty hard to write all that without throwing a few F bombs in there. Who cares if the riders and teams don't like it. They're blinded by the prize. Who cares if the racing is hurt or looks less sensational due to yellows. Is that really a thing people worry about?

All of this has nothing to do with anything other than the rules being hijacked by greedy teams and riders. End of story.
kkawboy14
6/11/2017 4:57pm
They can figure out how to fine a rider $5000 for rough/dangerous riding without even having a meeting about it!
SCR
6/11/2017 5:23pm
Harvdog21 wrote:

Rushton597 wrote:
40 professional flaggers traveling to 12 rounds across the country ? Plane tickets, payroll, payroll taxes, hotels, per diem, travel time? How much is workers compensation for a professional flagger. I don't think the math works with 12 to 15 thousand $50 tickets at each round.
6/11/2017 5:43pm
Harvdog21 wrote:

Rushton597 wrote:
SCR wrote:
40 professional flaggers traveling to 12 rounds across the country ? Plane tickets, payroll, payroll taxes, hotels, per diem, travel time? How much is workers compensation...
40 professional flaggers traveling to 12 rounds across the country ? Plane tickets, payroll, payroll taxes, hotels, per diem, travel time? How much is workers compensation for a professional flagger. I don't think the math works with 12 to 15 thousand $50 tickets at each round.
Guys, it's not the flaggers. It's the rule. If the rule was wheels on the ground and no passing you could have dimwits flag with less issues than we have today.

Stand in your spot, don't get on the track, wave the flag when someone is down. Rule takes care of the rest.
wardy
6/11/2017 6:14pm
Said it already and once again.

Yellow Flag has to have real meaning.

The rest doesn't matter. They follow the rules/meaning of the yellow flag or they get punished.

It won't happen. We may even see another worthless diluted flag, Like a "we really REALLY mean this time flag".

One last thing. I get that "volunteers" who do this flagging stuff all over the country are riders and racers who love the sport. This is good, cool and likely pretty damn fun for them. For the most part I bet they do and Excellent job, flagging isn't easy.

But I never understood the "local club" mentality in this whole thing. Getting Volunteers to flag (arguably) the most important job out there, and then expect they all will perform the same at every venue.

It all the stick and ball sports, Nascar, etc. I am sure they ask to find Volunteers to take on those kind of duties.

Lastly. Will it "cost more" yep. Last i looked this is a business, and it's critical part of this business is it's riders.

6/11/2017 6:16pm
Why is everyone talking about the riders, flaggers, and Nick Wey? 90% of this thread is a complete waste of time. This is so simple to...
Why is everyone talking about the riders, flaggers, and Nick Wey? 90% of this thread is a complete waste of time.

This is so simple to fix that it hurts my head wondering why we've seen the responses we've seen.

You don't need a wheels on the ground flag. Use amateur rules. I'm guessing most can figure out the fact that in the am's safety is paramount while in the pros money has a negative influence on safety. Davey even says he thinks a no jumping under yellow rule brings too many protests and confusion. Get it? No one wants to see their big fancy rider get protested, so if you're a big shot team you bitch until you feel a little more untouchable. He even says riders might not be able to race through a significant section of track under yellow as though it's reasonable to sacrifice safety for ticket sales. Get it yet? It's too hard to monitor the protests? Figure it out. How about if it's not on tape then don't honor the protest. Problem solved. What are the parameters for a successful protest? Figure it out. How about if both wheels leave the ground the rider loses one position for each time he violates the rule. Why is this so hard? Money and politics.

Not as much of either in the am's. That's why we get rules that actually make logical sense.

Pretty hard to write all that without throwing a few F bombs in there. Who cares if the riders and teams don't like it. They're blinded by the prize. Who cares if the racing is hurt or looks less sensational due to yellows. Is that really a thing people worry about?

All of this has nothing to do with anything other than the rules being hijacked by greedy teams and riders. End of story.
Not sure what amateur rules you are speaking of, but the AMA Amateur rules are no jumping no passing on yellow and wheels on the ground on red cross.
6/11/2017 8:34pm
Why is everyone talking about the riders, flaggers, and Nick Wey? 90% of this thread is a complete waste of time. This is so simple to...

SlowOldGuy wrote:
Not sure what amateur rules you are speaking of, but the AMA Amateur rules are no jumping no passing on yellow and wheels on the ground...
Not sure what amateur rules you are speaking of, but the AMA Amateur rules are no jumping no passing on yellow and wheels on the ground on red cross.
I see what happened. I said no jumping on yellow and forgot to add no passing. Thx for the clarification. As far as I can tell the medic flag means the exact same thing as yellow with the added meaning being "send a medic". I'm assuming this is all correct. So yeah, amateur rules for the pros. Throw out the wheels on the ground flag and make it so the yellow means wheels on the ground (and no passing) each and every time it's waived.
6/11/2017 9:42pm

One possible solution is if you had one flagger on each side of every blind obstacle, then in the event that the flaggers wanted the riders to go to the oncoming rider's right for example then the flagger on the oncoming rider's left wood run "up track" along side the course waving their flag in a certain fashion letting the Riders know to move themselves in the direction of the opposite flagger who would be waving their flag in a different fashion. If this or similar system was understood and recognized it might be effective. Maybe the flaggers had a certain color light in the end of the flag stick bright enough to see that indicated say Red for blocked side of track vs, Green for clear side of track. They each flip a switch, have comms with each other, and i think I see slight improvements in safety already.

Any other ideas on how to better direct a slew of rapidly approaching riders as to which way they should be heading as they approach a blind obstacle with a wreck on the other side?

Maybe it is something the eleven guys who are currently evaluate the sections of the track for safety could implement or I could be hired to implement it. Send msg, ill report for duty.
jnickell
Fantasy
1836th
6/11/2017 9:53pm
I like brightlights idea. It needs to be very simple with little movement. Take, for example, someone trying to assist a driver backing up a trailer into a blind spot. Some ground guides like to spin their hands in the direction they want the driver to turn the wheel. Others wave it back and forth with the intent to indicate a direction. Meanwhile, the driver, whose looking in his mirror can't determine what the crap that flailing hand is doing. The correct way is to NOT flail your hand around and simply hold your hand still while pointing in the direction they need to turn the wheel. Same with the flagger. Pull the flag out and hold it still as you point where you want the rider to go. Simple and if EVERY flagger was trained to do it, confusion would be less frequent.
DC
6/24/2017 9:43am
He's not "just plodding" it's John Ayers checking out the track in order to know where it needs work during intermission. It's hard to walk a mile-long track during every session and know how to make it safer when the time comes to get equipment out there.

DC
Racer X
NMRed
6/24/2017 8:53pm
DC wrote:
He's not "just plodding" it's John Ayers checking out the track in order to know where it needs work during intermission. It's hard to walk a...
He's not "just plodding" it's John Ayers checking out the track in order to know where it needs work during intermission. It's hard to walk a mile-long track during every session and know how to make it safer when the time comes to get equipment out there.

DC
Racer X
While I agree that someone has to look at the track to see what maintenance needs to be done......this is extremely dangerous for not only the riders but also for John. You have multiple people around the track with a radio that could report track conditions. Using a radio to coordinate who goes where is much more efficient and safer for everyone.

Post a reply to: Those flaggers don't know how to flag

The Latest