Those flaggers don't know how to flag

6/5/2017 4:05am
Katoomey wrote:
running out on a track as a means of safety is, literally, the dumbest thing I've ever heard....carry on tards. i realize time changes everything, and...
running out on a track as a means of safety is, literally, the dumbest thing I've ever heard....carry on tards.

i realize time changes everything, and political and social correctness is consuming us, but do we really have to become huge gigantic pussies about every god damn little thing.

how about all of you who aren't currently racing the nationals, or have children racing the nationals, just mind your own business and stop telling everyone how to run motocross. for christs sake, everyone last one of think you have all the answers. YOU DONT!
Stepping onto the track signalling riders to go on the left side of the blind jump like Nick Wey did was fine! Riders do actually look ahead and are aware of yellow flags so I doubt a rider would of ran into the flagger.
Obviously I don't want every flagger to walk onto track when there is an incident but on a blind jump like this we require someone with a brain to direct riders away from the hazard.
6/5/2017 5:09am
Honestly the only thing the flagger could've done better was step briefly to the edge of the track and guide the riders to the inside.

The problem also lies with the riders IMO, they just carry on like there aren't even flags.

I cringe every single time when riders just keep on jumping under yellow flags when there's a bike (and in worse cases a rider) on the track.
GangGreen
6/5/2017 6:41am
MXA gets this one right !!!!!
Aaron Plessinger and the flaggers together unknowingly guide the riders right to the downed bike. I too was screaming at the TV. Maybe the blue shirt flagger, the guy swatting bees, should have been up the track a bit, before the jump. Hindsight is always 20/20, and at least we don’t have 4 wheelers crossing the track taking out riders like Robbie Reynard anymore.

The Shop

Hman144
Fantasy
713th
6/5/2017 6:45am
No one has said much about it, but both of those flaggers standing in nearly the same spot didn't help much either. I doubt the riders approaching that jump could even see ol' blue shirt's efforts much.

Too many times the flaggers stand right on top of the incident instead of moving up-track as much as feasible to keep an eye on the incident but give as much advance warning to the approaching riders as possible. The guy in the headset probably should have sent blue shirt upstream a bit for some early warning. From the TV coverage you couldn't see what, if anything, as going on ahead of the jump, so maybe there was some early warning going on up there. But from the racers' approach speed, it didn't seem so. And maybe that goes back to the posts about riders not giving the yellow the proper respect.

So many things went wrong there, and it's easy to armchair quarterback it. Thank God no one was more seriously impacted.
DC
6/5/2017 6:46am Edited Date/Time 6/5/2017 6:47am
"And apparently the flaggers were being douche-bags to Nick afterwards."

No, they weren't, but a local paramedic/security person who did not know or his father Terry told them they had to get off the infield because they didn't have passes. We knew nothing about it until Nick texted me.

We have enough Wheels on the Ground flag, but you don't put 40 of them out there because each time someone waves one and it's not obeyed, there are protests and penalties. It can get confusing in a hurry. There was someone on the radio trying to direct the situation but they were down in the announcer's tower, below the crash, and they could not have seen or understand what was going on like we could on TV.

It was an unusual place to crash, and AP being on one side of the track, his bike in the middle and the flaggers on the other side just added confusion to the situation, because they were all basically directing people into the middle, which is exactly where the bike was. And the jump being steep to the inside meant that a flagger could not station himself on the left side of the track. Maybe they can address situations like that by tractoring in a level place for them to stand... And I would have done exactly what Nick did (and he's no "random spectator" who grabbed a flag, but a lifelong rider/racer who has been around many, many crashes in his life, and did what he could out of instinct). Flaggers are told to stay off the track until it's all clear, but with the entire pack coming behind Plessinger, that also compounded the situation. We will be looking at this all day in the office, thanks for the suggestions...

#1, we need the riders to actually use caution when they see the yellow.

And we have got to get guys waving towels off the track, though had Chad been up where AP crashed, I'm guessing he would have done exactly what Nick did too.

DC
Racer X
philG
6/5/2017 6:53am
DC wrote:
"And apparently the flaggers were being douche-bags to Nick afterwards." No, they weren't, but a local paramedic/security person who did not know or his father Terry...
"And apparently the flaggers were being douche-bags to Nick afterwards."

No, they weren't, but a local paramedic/security person who did not know or his father Terry told them they had to get off the infield because they didn't have passes. We knew nothing about it until Nick texted me.

We have enough Wheels on the Ground flag, but you don't put 40 of them out there because each time someone waves one and it's not obeyed, there are protests and penalties. It can get confusing in a hurry. There was someone on the radio trying to direct the situation but they were down in the announcer's tower, below the crash, and they could not have seen or understand what was going on like we could on TV.

It was an unusual place to crash, and AP being on one side of the track, his bike in the middle and the flaggers on the other side just added confusion to the situation, because they were all basically directing people into the middle, which is exactly where the bike was. And the jump being steep to the inside meant that a flagger could not station himself on the left side of the track. Maybe they can address situations like that by tractoring in a level place for them to stand... And I would have done exactly what Nick did (and he's no "random spectator" who grabbed a flag, but a lifelong rider/racer who has been around many, many crashes in his life, and did what he could out of instinct). Flaggers are told to stay off the track until it's all clear, but with the entire pack coming behind Plessinger, that also compounded the situation. We will be looking at this all day in the office, thanks for the suggestions...

#1, we need the riders to actually use caution when they see the yellow.

And we have got to get guys waving towels off the track, though had Chad been up where AP crashed, I'm guessing he would have done exactly what Nick did too.

DC
Racer X
Yes ... Towels ... who was the Dickhead with the yellow one, that Langston spotted on Comms... this is THE most retarded thing about the sport.. IMO

If riders aren't going to slow, which they don't, then I don't expect a flagger to risk his neck , if they do then you get out there and do the best you can .

kage173
6/5/2017 6:58am
If AP had done what he was supposed to do and the other riders had done what they were supposed to do, then it would have worked. The flaggers' job is to keep everyone safe, not to help the fallen rider get on his bike as fast as possible. It was an unsafe situation and the only way to handle it was for AP to stay where he was, let the field pass and then get on his bike. Nick got there as the field was thinning out drastically. If what he did was the standard for a flagger and the flagger was obligated to walk out on the track while the whole field was coming through, you would've had a gigantic pileup and a flagger headed to the hospital.

I promise you every person on here that is blaming the flagger and screaming about safety, look the other way when their local track needs someone to flag to keep people safe.
TXDirt
6/5/2017 7:18am
kage173 wrote:
If AP had done what he was supposed to do and the other riders had done what they were supposed to do, then it would have...
If AP had done what he was supposed to do and the other riders had done what they were supposed to do, then it would have worked. The flaggers' job is to keep everyone safe, not to help the fallen rider get on his bike as fast as possible. It was an unsafe situation and the only way to handle it was for AP to stay where he was, let the field pass and then get on his bike. Nick got there as the field was thinning out drastically. If what he did was the standard for a flagger and the flagger was obligated to walk out on the track while the whole field was coming through, you would've had a gigantic pileup and a flagger headed to the hospital.

I promise you every person on here that is blaming the flagger and screaming about safety, look the other way when their local track needs someone to flag to keep people safe.
I agree with you. I don't think riders should be directing traffic. The flagger was waving the yellow flag and was trying to get riders to go to the other side. AP was on the other side waving them directly back into the danger. Hey AP, how about just chill and let the flagger do his job because you may be a great rider but you are pretty terrible at directing traffic away from danger.

Riders can either slow down and check up a bit or risk a crash for not exhibiting caution when they see a yellow flag.

In no way do I think the expectation should be flaggers should enter the track in any way that may be unsafe. You have heavy ass machines coming at you at high speeds. And they don't give a shit about your yellow flag apparently.

Frankly, yellow flags should only be used when there is a true danger, like in the AP crash yesterday. Part of the problem is for every little nit of an issue they wave the yellow flag. It's basically lost all meaning. A guy crashes in the corner, everyone can see him, but they start waving the yellow flag a full two sections ahead of it. I mean the guy is in no danger, the riders can all see a rider washed out in the corner. Why wave the yellow flag?

I say restrain from using yellow for only when there is true danger. That way riders will actually use more caution instead of just blasting on through a section when yellow flag is waving.
tprice07
6/5/2017 7:30am
GuyB wrote:
With him just waving and not providing directions to the oncoming traffic, I don't think he helped the situation. By standing where he was, it suggested...
With him just waving and not providing directions to the oncoming traffic, I don't think he helped the situation.

By standing where he was, it suggested moving right.

As for why guys wouldn't slow down? It's the second lap of a moto, where everyone was still pretty bunched together. None of those guys are going to give up any advantage unless they think there's a big enough issue to merit it.
That was confusing. Plessinger at the top of the hill pointing across the track was totally diverting traffic over his bike.

Optimally, Plessinger runs to the top of the jump so he can see. One flagger enters the track with his flag out directing traiffic away from the downed bike. Second flagger grabs bike off the track and pulls it to the side. When an opening presents itself, AP runs across the track and remounts with his bike.

Idk the rules on touching the bikes etc but everything was working against itself in that situation.
TXDirt
6/5/2017 7:34am
GuyB wrote:
With him just waving and not providing directions to the oncoming traffic, I don't think he helped the situation. By standing where he was, it suggested...
With him just waving and not providing directions to the oncoming traffic, I don't think he helped the situation.

By standing where he was, it suggested moving right.

As for why guys wouldn't slow down? It's the second lap of a moto, where everyone was still pretty bunched together. None of those guys are going to give up any advantage unless they think there's a big enough issue to merit it.
tprice07 wrote:
That was confusing. Plessinger at the top of the hill pointing across the track was totally diverting traffic over his bike. Optimally, Plessinger runs to the...
That was confusing. Plessinger at the top of the hill pointing across the track was totally diverting traffic over his bike.

Optimally, Plessinger runs to the top of the jump so he can see. One flagger enters the track with his flag out directing traiffic away from the downed bike. Second flagger grabs bike off the track and pulls it to the side. When an opening presents itself, AP runs across the track and remounts with his bike.

Idk the rules on touching the bikes etc but everything was working against itself in that situation.
In that situation you cannot have someone clear that bike off the track until every rider has gone by and it's then safe to move it. That was a blind spot and someone will get killed trying to move the bike before it's all clear.
DC
6/5/2017 7:54am
For what it's worth, I just got off the phone with the MX Sports flagger at the top of the hill, Jimmi De, and he gave me much more insight to what was going on and what he and the other flaggers were trying to do. He did not see where AP went at first because while he saw the crash coming and was literally pulling out his yellow as Aaron was doing his Superman, he didn't see that AP rolled under the banner and out of sight at first.

Jimmi also explained that he got hit at Glen Helen while stepping out in a different type of situation. Flagging is not easy, and while it's easy for any of us to come on here and discuss what we would have done, we may not understand the whole situation, the whole lay of the land, and what is being said in the radios and around the other officials.

He also said only two or three guys really slowed down, and while he's been around racing his whole life, he had never met Nick Wey before and didn't realize that was him who came to help. Like all of us, he's just glad everyone was okay and wants to help learn from this and try to prevent it from happening again.

DC
Racer X
motokawi818
6/5/2017 8:06am
lostboy819 wrote:
I am arguing the fact that the flaggers were doing their job and the riders have no reason to slow down under a yellow flag but...
I am arguing the fact that the flaggers were doing their job and the riders have no reason to slow down under a yellow flag but then because the riders ignore the yellow then all the vitards burn the flaggers at the stake. Nic was at the bottom of the hill, the view from the top you could see all the flags waving, and Nic didn't really add anything when he stood in the middle of the track AFTER all the bike raced by. They booted him from the infield for that, not sure I would have kicked him out.
The flagger was supposed to direct traffic instead of just increase flagging speed. In supercross it's wheels on the ground for medic flag, but yellows they're allowed to keep their lines just with caution. They should have done exactly what wey had done. Especially since there was two flaggers one could have ran down towards the beginning of the corner and started direction there.
motokawi818
6/5/2017 8:08am
DC wrote:
For what it's worth, I just got off the phone with the MX Sports flagger at the top of the hill, Jimmi De, and he gave...
For what it's worth, I just got off the phone with the MX Sports flagger at the top of the hill, Jimmi De, and he gave me much more insight to what was going on and what he and the other flaggers were trying to do. He did not see where AP went at first because while he saw the crash coming and was literally pulling out his yellow as Aaron was doing his Superman, he didn't see that AP rolled under the banner and out of sight at first.

Jimmi also explained that he got hit at Glen Helen while stepping out in a different type of situation. Flagging is not easy, and while it's easy for any of us to come on here and discuss what we would have done, we may not understand the whole situation, the whole lay of the land, and what is being said in the radios and around the other officials.

He also said only two or three guys really slowed down, and while he's been around racing his whole life, he had never met Nick Wey before and didn't realize that was him who came to help. Like all of us, he's just glad everyone was okay and wants to help learn from this and try to prevent it from happening again.

DC
Racer X
Since there was two flaggers if one had ran down towards the beginning of the corner and begun flagging and directing the riders would have been aware of the situation. Two flaggers right next to each other just trying to wave the flags faster than each other wasn't helping anything.
6/5/2017 8:20am
APLMAN99 wrote:
I think that they must have used some snocross flaggers. Those snowmobile guys are usually a little bit behind.......
Skidaddle just took his shirt off.
Triton
6/5/2017 8:29am Edited Date/Time 6/5/2017 8:29am
DC wrote:
For what it's worth, I just got off the phone with the MX Sports flagger at the top of the hill, Jimmi De, and he gave...

DC
Racer X
And yet he still did a terrible job. If he is scared of getting hit, as he says he has then he shouldn't be out there. All of these excuses are unbearable really. If they can't control one jump how can any of the riders or teams have any faith in safety around the track? All I hear are excuses. No one said it was easy, no one said that it wouldn't cost money to put more behind it. Do the flaggers not have an action plan for every area they are to watch? Why would the hired flagger not know what to do in this instance? The bike was even down on their side. Stop trying to explain it away and fix it.
Hut
6/5/2017 8:36am
No one has to run in front of a bunch of bikes racing in a pack but pointing in the direction they need to go is very helpful. That is where Plessinger was causing a problem from the opposite side.
DC
6/5/2017 8:47am
Triton, he didn't do a terrible job. He did the job he was told to do. We need the riders to use more caution in these situations, and not add danger by telling a flagger (who just got hit a week ago) to step out on the race track. It was a very confusing situation, given the speed of the area and early-moro traffic, and also where the bike fell, and the rider being on the opposite side of the track. We are trying to learn from it and make positive changes. The flaggers did exactly what they were supposed to, though one might have been better going down to the base of the hill so the riders saw him sooner.

DC
Racer X
6/5/2017 8:54am
Triton wrote:
And yet he still did a terrible job. If he is scared of getting hit, as he says he has then he shouldn't be out there...
And yet he still did a terrible job. If he is scared of getting hit, as he says he has then he shouldn't be out there. All of these excuses are unbearable really. If they can't control one jump how can any of the riders or teams have any faith in safety around the track? All I hear are excuses. No one said it was easy, no one said that it wouldn't cost money to put more behind it. Do the flaggers not have an action plan for every area they are to watch? Why would the hired flagger not know what to do in this instance? The bike was even down on their side. Stop trying to explain it away and fix it.
If the riders and teams want more safety, then maybe they should scratch their head and start obeying the yellow flag rules. I.e. not going balls to the wall under a yellow flag situation.
Triton
6/5/2017 9:25am
EnvyMedia wrote:
If the riders and teams want more safety, then maybe they should scratch their head and start obeying the yellow flag rules. I.e. not going balls...
If the riders and teams want more safety, then maybe they should scratch their head and start obeying the yellow flag rules. I.e. not going balls to the wall under a yellow flag situation.
Here is your flag rule. Tell me which part they didn't obey.

b. Warning Flags:
i. Yellow Flag: Indicates a potentially hazardous situation on or near the racetrack. Riders must exercise
caution. Passing is allowed.

You might want to think about being a little more explicit on what exercise caution means.Under the current rule, what should they do on a yellow as you interpret this expansive rule? Nothing tells them to slow down, nothing says don't pass, in fact it says passing is allowed. Until the flagging is fixed and the rules are fixed nothing will change. Davey even said himself he didn't want 40 tires on the ground flags around the track. This is a terrible position and stated that it would generate protests. So what? Sorry your live tv is more precious. It's like motocross is stuck in the dark ages.
DC
6/5/2017 9:37am
What does live TV have to do with it? How is motocross "stuck in the dark ages"? How would you "fix the flagging" to change any of what happened?

I agree we need to discuss what "exercise caution" means but I disagree on adding 40 Wheels on the Ground flags, because they ARE on the ground most of the time... I've been around quite a few races and quite a few different situations like this, but this is the first time I can remember most riders not slowing down at all, and a rider being out on the track pointing people the opposite way of the two flaggers and adding to the confusion. We will learn from it, just as we try to do from everything else. I doubt that's good enough for you, Triton, but it's all I can do.

DC
Racer X
Triton
6/5/2017 9:53am
DC, I know I'm pushing on this. I do appreciate you responding to my posts. Probably more than you should. I'm of the position that there cannot be complete confidence in non professional flaggers. There is too much variability from track to track and race to race. This is one instance were I think SX has improved dramatically. (Side note but why aren't track workers in helmets?) Agree the rider added to the issue, did your MX Sports guy tell him to wait and to stop directing traffic?

How would I fix it? There are already quite a few good suggestions in this thread. 1st - professionally trained flagging staff that go race to race. It would create consistency and accountability. 2nd - technology. There is lots of new tech out there that can be added to help in caution situations, mainly lights that a head ref or safety person or persons can trigger. 3rd - In helmet communication for safety only. Only MX Sports can broadcast one direction to let the riders know of a caution situation. It would allow more detailed information to be given and at what level they should take caution. 4th - Clarify the rules, get specific. These are professional guys "most" Smile will follow them. Maybe break up the yellow into stages. Waving means slow down / no passing, Static holding top and bottom tight means slow down / no passing / move to other lane. (examples)

Any one of those could have fixed what happened in my opinion. I'm not questioning your experience. That would be silly but sometimes it is easy to get stuck in the same vision, that is all. I do appreciate what you do and continue to do. I just see this as an opportunity to make progress in a very important area.

Thanks for hearing me.
6/5/2017 10:08am
What I have gathered after 5 pages.

1) You're a pussy if you complain about bad flaggers unless you're in a direct position of influence.

2) You're a pussy if you complain about what flaggers have been told, despite what common sense dictates.

3) You're NOT a pussy if you just stand on the side of the track waving a flag and watching mayhem unfold.

4) You get what you pay for; or don't pay for in this case. "Garbage in becomes garbage out" comes to mind.

5) TV dictates amateur flagging decisions... somehow?

6) AMA officials who flag have NO decision making skills above that of a rent-a-flagger.

I don't care what I've been told. If I'm there I creep out in to the track as much as I can and point across. The last thing I could ever live with is someone cresting a blind jump and impaling themselves on the handlebar of an arrant bike because I just stood there waving a piece of cloth like a lemming.
6/5/2017 10:20am
As a racer If I were to exercise caution in that situation I would see Plessinger on the left side of the track and move to the right. BAM, right in the path of the bike. The flaggers weren't even pointing where to go. Sometimes you have to protect athletes from themselves.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
6/5/2017 10:30am
As a racer If I were to exercise caution in that situation I would see Plessinger on the left side of the track and move to...
As a racer If I were to exercise caution in that situation I would see Plessinger on the left side of the track and move to the right. BAM, right in the path of the bike. The flaggers weren't even pointing where to go. Sometimes you have to protect athletes from themselves.
I agree, i would have done the same, AP was causing more confusion by standing there, i would have thought to go right as well, both the flaggers, and AP could have helped the situation by trying to get the riders to the left more,
tcallahan707
6/5/2017 10:36am
How is passing allowed under a yellow? That seems so counterproductive if you want the riders to "exercise caution" as the rule states, or if you want them to do a better job slowing down, as DC states.
kkawboy14
6/5/2017 10:37am Edited Date/Time 6/5/2017 10:38am
If the rider was down in the same spot as the bike, the flaggers would have stood in front of the bike at the top of the hill,, so with just the bike there, they should have stood in front of it the same way!

AP was definitely messing the directions up because of what he was doing!
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
6/5/2017 10:41am
DC wrote:
Triton, he didn't do a terrible job. He did the job he was told to do. We need the riders to use more caution in these...
Triton, he didn't do a terrible job. He did the job he was told to do. We need the riders to use more caution in these situations, and not add danger by telling a flagger (who just got hit a week ago) to step out on the race track. It was a very confusing situation, given the speed of the area and early-moro traffic, and also where the bike fell, and the rider being on the opposite side of the track. We are trying to learn from it and make positive changes. The flaggers did exactly what they were supposed to, though one might have been better going down to the base of the hill so the riders saw him sooner.

DC
Racer X
I am glad you are supporting the flaggers and I have stated from the start of the thread that they were doing a good job. I do think it will be tough to even find flaggers willing to subject themselves to the abuse they get from the peanut gallery here at Vital and TV commentators laying the blame at the flaggers. Make the yellow flag mean something and it will solve some problems and it will also create different problems but those problems like penalties could be addressed after the race and with cool heads and video reference.
TDeath21
6/5/2017 10:50am
Apparently I'm in the minority here because I don't think it was the flagger's fault. He couldn't get out onto the track with the entire pack coming. Langston was telling them to get on the track and tell the riders where to go. Impossible to do with no break in the action. Theoretically, if Plessinger has a 10 second lead, the flagger can easily step out there and direct the riders left. To compound the situation, the riders coming see the yellow flags and then they see Plessinger on their left. Logic says that's what the flags are for and all hazards are on the left side. Plessinger wasn't helping the situation at all. People are making Wey out to be a hero and he didn't even step in until the pack had cleared and there was a break in the oncoming riders. Wey wouldn't have been able to step into the pack any earlier than he did even if he himself had been the flagger. Blaming the flagger is focusing on 10% of the problem and ignoring the 90%. Most of that 90% were things that couldn't have been controlled anyway.
6/5/2017 11:24am
TDeath21 wrote:
Apparently I'm in the minority here because I don't think it was the flagger's fault. He couldn't get out onto the track with the entire pack...
Apparently I'm in the minority here because I don't think it was the flagger's fault. He couldn't get out onto the track with the entire pack coming. Langston was telling them to get on the track and tell the riders where to go. Impossible to do with no break in the action. Theoretically, if Plessinger has a 10 second lead, the flagger can easily step out there and direct the riders left. To compound the situation, the riders coming see the yellow flags and then they see Plessinger on their left. Logic says that's what the flags are for and all hazards are on the left side. Plessinger wasn't helping the situation at all. People are making Wey out to be a hero and he didn't even step in until the pack had cleared and there was a break in the oncoming riders. Wey wouldn't have been able to step into the pack any earlier than he did even if he himself had been the flagger. Blaming the flagger is focusing on 10% of the problem and ignoring the 90%. Most of that 90% were things that couldn't have been controlled anyway.
Possibly. It's not NASCAR though. There's not a pack of 40 guys bump drafting nose to tail. There were natural breaks in traffic to step out a foot. Then another foot. Then another foot. It's not like we're saying the guy should have just leapt in to the middle of the roller in a split second and played chicken. If you see debris in your lane on the highway and you're the first to arrive its a surprise. If you're the 15th car to get to it you see everyone in front of you avoiding it and act accordingly. If no one swerves in front of you you keep going straight.

Plessinger didn't help though. He wasn't necessarily on the edge of the track so it's also dangerous to push traffic towards him. There was maybe a 3-4 foot gap between him and the bike and then another 3-4 feet between the bike and the far edge of the track.Small window to thread when you can't see the land mine on the other side.

Post a reply to: Those flaggers don't know how to flag

The Latest