Thomas Covington staying on the same team in 2019, But for Bobby Hewitt.

Related:
Create New Tag

2/21/2018 10:10 PM

Doesn't want to move up to the MXGP class next year.
Wants to come home and race Supercross SX2 and
the outdoors MX2. Photo

|

2/21/2018 10:22 PM

That would be awesome

|

2/21/2018 10:49 PM

Sources?

|

2/21/2018 11:15 PM

Well, that's interesting. Not sure of his SX skills, but at least this will settle once and for all the debate over which series has the better riders. laughing

|

2/21/2018 11:26 PM

Danster wrote:

Doesn't want to move up to the MXGP class next year.
Wants to come home and race Supercross SX2 and
the outdoors MX2. Photo

Same brand, different teams.

|

2/22/2018 12:12 AM

It makes sense. The 23 year old rule screws so many of the MX2 riders.

|

2/22/2018 12:16 AM

dirtworldmx wrote:

Well, that's interesting. Not sure of his SX skills, but at least this will settle once and for all the debate over which series has the better riders. laughing

Well you hooked me, how does that work??unsure

|

2/22/2018 12:19 AM

Motofinne wrote:

x2

|

2/22/2018 12:23 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/22/2018 12:24 AM

Motofinne wrote:

mmcmx wrote:

x2

It's a huge risk to move up. The MXGP class is so competitive and the good fulltime rides are limited, we've seen really good riders almost ruin their careers because they only got 1 year deals on a 450 and didn't deliver.

|

2/22/2018 12:28 AM

Good move, unlikely to get 450 ride MX gp

|

RV, 4 th to 8 th, mxgp

2/22/2018 2:18 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't part of the reason he decided to go to the GP's was him not really liking SX?

|

2/22/2018 2:48 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/22/2018 2:51 AM

He's doing just what Zach Osborne did.

Well, hoping to. Good on him.

Zach did not want to go into the MXGP / 450 class (and please, don't think for a fugging second I'm having a go at Zach) , and, luckily his sponsor at the time helped / allowed him do a few SXs, where he (re) attracted attention to himself with the SX oriented US side of the sport.

Zachs' success opened some eyes back home, even if it took him a while to really get to the top of the 250 'tree' back in the US. He certainly is now.

Zachs rides under Steve Dixon's stewardship ( one of the Greats of the sport is SD) led to him having an opportunity to go 'home', instead of being fed to the Lions in the 450s.

He did get a British National Championship, as did Mike Brown (both, more than 1???) - Brown too resurrected his career in the GPs and Britain to go back to the US to garner a Championship. And, there's quite the list of overseas / GP riders that have had a Lot of success in the US, especially if you bring statistics into it, which Yanks really seem to be into.

When will Luongo realize he's just denuding 'his' 250 World Championships, and the MXGP class of talent? Mind you, there's still a shedload of that around in Europe / Britain and other National Championships.

Never will Luongo wake up, I'd say - his head is so far up his arse, I reckon he can see his next meal coming in. He virtually pushes riders into the US, or back to various other National series.

Of course, so many riders around the World want to do SX, and the earlier you get to the Circus, the better, for most. So be it.

Thank f**k DC and Co, and Feld have Not introduced shit like the 23yrs rule. Now they just need to wake up and bring 125s back to the major US series - and I don't mean just 3 (or whatever it is this year) races.

|

2/22/2018 3:34 AM

Bearuno wrote:

He's doing just what Zach Osborne did.

Well, hoping to. Good on him.

Zach did not want to go into the MXGP / 450 class (and please, don't think for a fugging second I'm having a go at Zach) , and, luckily his sponsor at the time helped / allowed him do a few SXs, where he (re) attracted attention to himself with the SX oriented US side of the sport.

Zachs' success opened some eyes back home, even if it took him a while to really get to the top of the 250 'tree' back in the US. He certainly is now.

Zachs rides under Steve Dixon's stewardship ( one of the Greats of the sport is SD) led to him having an opportunity to go 'home', instead of being fed to the Lions in the 450s.

He did get a British National Championship, as did Mike Brown (both, more than 1???) - Brown too resurrected his career in the GPs and Britain to go back to the US to garner a Championship. And, there's quite the list of overseas / GP riders that have had a Lot of success in the US, especially if you bring statistics into it, which Yanks really seem to be into.

When will Luongo realize he's just denuding 'his' 250 World Championships, and the MXGP class of talent? Mind you, there's still a shedload of that around in Europe / Britain and other National Championships.

Never will Luongo wake up, I'd say - his head is so far up his arse, I reckon he can see his next meal coming in. He virtually pushes riders into the US, or back to various other National series.

Of course, so many riders around the World want to do SX, and the earlier you get to the Circus, the better, for most. So be it.

Thank f**k DC and Co, and Feld have Not introduced shit like the 23yrs rule. Now they just need to wake up and bring 125s back to the major US series - and I don't mean just 3 (or whatever it is this year) races.

Luongo won't wake up. In fact, he's wide awake, because it's intentional to downgrade the MX2-class. He wants one premier class, and that's MXGP.

|

2/22/2018 3:51 AM

DeStouwer wrote:

Luongo won't wake up. In fact, he's wide awake, because it's intentional to downgrade the MX2-class. He wants one premier class, and that's MXGP.

He has some delusional idea that one day mxgp will be as big as the superbikes or even F1, so one premier class is the way forward in his eyes, personally I don't believe this will ever happen, it just doesn't nor ever will have ( unless of course they turn it into some sort of social media circus) the following.

|

2/22/2018 4:10 AM

Thats pretty cool top 5 outdoors no doubt but indoors 10...he did pretty well in the gps and mxon ?

|

2/22/2018 4:16 AM

I hope he wins the title this season . Tough class for sure but he has shown the speed.

|

2/22/2018 4:18 AM

As has been said, Zach Osborne did the same, Covington is looking at Paulin and Anstie, and thinking he isn't going to push either of them out at the end of the year , and so has made the decision to come back to the feeder class in the US , rather than get buried in 450 GP's.

I don't blame him, he will be at the front of MX2 because the fast guys have moved on, its a big step , and I don't think he is good enough to make it work for him.

|

2/22/2018 4:20 AM

Hopefully he kills it in the gps this year. I think when he comes back stateside he will be a contender for moto wins outdoors. Not sure how he will do in SX.

|

2/22/2018 5:05 AM

philG wrote:

As has been said, Zach Osborne did the same, Covington is looking at Paulin and Anstie, and thinking he isn't going to push either of them out at the end of the year , and so has made the decision to come back to the feeder class in the US , rather than get buried in 450 GP's.

I don't blame him, he will be at the front of MX2 because the fast guys have moved on, its a big step , and I don't think he is good enough to make it work for him.

Anstie hasn't really done anything outside of his MXdN performance , and it's not always going to be muddy . Maybe they should give someone else a go .

|

2/22/2018 5:56 AM

DeStouwer wrote:

You're right on that.

He wanted downgrading to 350s - the manufacturers, other than KTM, said No, "go f**k yourself"

He put forward then a few years ago, to make MXGP / the Premier class, 250s.

Once again, manufacturers ( and the good [there are quite a few] people within the FIM and National Federations) said No "go f**k yourself.

scottydogmx is right too - the Prick thinks he's got MotoGP / F1 on his hands.

Luongo thinks he can get more millions by bastardizing the ('His') sport. They've (he and another 'owner' of the sport
at various times ) tried 3 motos, 1 moto in MX, and it goes back to the 2 Moto format. Those other options, did Nothing for the sport.

He's wanted a limited grid of 24 riders, citing the MotoGP entries. He had legislated, for one year I think, a maximum of 30 riders in MXGP. It's back to 40. Blank bits of track, don't work well for spectators. And he still needs attendance to keep races going , as he won't ever get enough Governments to subsidize races. Too many have been burnt by that 'model', with many sports.

Look to the big spectator attendance there is at the vast majority of GPs. It's pretty bloody impressive. Though, decades ago you'd see vast swathes of spectators - Ruy here is good at posting up pictures that show that. And, there's a shedload of racing, what with the Qualifiers, and whatever EMX / Womens Championships are on at each one. And, ever more TV, plus the income from live streaming .

Yes, any business wants expansion and higher earnings, fair enough. But killing the goose that gives you the golden eggs by which you fill your pockets, by royally f**king it inevitably leads to disaster. Our sport will never get the coverage / interest that F1 and MotoGP gets.

I am, Not a fan of Luongo / Youthstream, in case some have not realized.

|

2/22/2018 6:39 AM

I go back and forth on it. The 23 rule has cost them some riders and some riders a ride... but it has forced a few guys up to stack the premier class. I guess the cost is the issue.

Sadly, it's not Luongo's biggest issue there at all.

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------