Thomas Covington - Team USA MXdN 2019

8/6/2018 5:01pm Edited Date/Time 8/7/2018 5:16pm
Covington looked like a stud yesterday at Lommel, coming away with 2-3 moto scores and 2nd place overall. With Thomas having so much experience racing the GP tracks, not to mention prior Team USA experience - does it go without saying he's already the strong favorite to be the MX2 rider for Team USA at next years MXdN, which will be held at the sandy Assen circuit in The Netherlands?

|
ML512
Fantasy
36th
8/6/2018 5:05pm
Covington looked like a stud yesterday at Lommel, coming away with 2-3 moto scores and 2nd place overall. With Thomas having so much experience racing the...
Covington looked like a stud yesterday at Lommel, coming away with 2-3 moto scores and 2nd place overall. With Thomas having so much experience racing the GP tracks, not to mention prior Team USA experience - does it go without saying he's already the strong favorite to be the MX2 rider for Team USA at next years MXdN, which will be held at the sandy Assen circuit in The Netherlands?

Lots of factors between now and then, also, Thomas is coming back to the US for 2019 to race Supercross and Motocross for Rockstar Husqvarna....so he'll be out of the regular sand training schedule after this MX2 season.
8/6/2018 5:06pm Edited Date/Time 8/6/2018 5:09pm
Hmm I dunno ML, regardless of where he's training I think he's gotta have a better edge on a track like Assen then the most of the rest AMA 250 class riders. But yes, a lot can happen between now and then. Just speculating based on what we know this moment
ATKpilot99
8/6/2018 5:10pm
Didn't he win a moto at Assen one year ?
ML512
Fantasy
36th
8/6/2018 5:13pm
Hmm I dunno ML, regardless of where he's training I think he's gotta have a better edge on a track like Assen then the most of...
Hmm I dunno ML, regardless of where he's training I think he's gotta have a better edge on a track like Assen then the most of the rest AMA 250 class riders. But yes, a lot can happen between now and then. Just speculating based on what we know this moment
Once again, it's over a year out. Multiple things can happen between now and then, such as an injury or even his current form. If he stays healthy and is top three in 250 points, pushing for wins, I could see him as getting the nod. But if he's outside the top three, barely making podiums or coming off an injury...they'll pick who ever the top 250 guy is at the time.

If everyone is healthy, he'll likely be competing against Jeremy Martin or Aaron Plessinger at least for the spot; possibly more when you count Justin Cooper, Adam Cianciarulo, Austin Forkner, and a few others into the mix. Basically, it's all down to current form come time to pick, not past results or form from a year prior. I hope Covington is up there next year and gets a shot at redemption on team USA, but it's a long ways out to think anyone is a favorite outside of whoever is winning at the time the selection comes.

The Shop

mxracer71
Fantasy
2394th
8/6/2018 5:31pm
How are you going to pick him for 2019? You seen what the season turned into? One race there good and the next weekend they are getting a ride to the hospital. we need to worry about this years mxdn first. I say tomac,barcia because he will bang those bars and dosent care who it is and we need some like that, and i guess plessinger
snackfedbear
8/6/2018 5:38pm
Idk but that's gotta be one of my favorite moto pics of all time. SO tits
8/6/2018 5:58pm Edited Date/Time 8/6/2018 6:00pm
I think covington has really grown his skill set by running that mxgp series.....boys get fast racin that shit. I think American cookie cutter 40 foot wide same prep every race isn’t doing anyone favors in the skill set department. If anything...it Makes them whine about shitty prep. . . Then some mxgp boys come over and lay down the waste. (Herlings....Ironman)
plowboy
8/6/2018 6:50pm
This is 2018...when was the last time Roger picked a rider from the GP's? This could be the year for him to do it.
Shaned9326
8/6/2018 6:53pm
With the way the euros ride the sand I’d say we need to send the Avengers to race!!
racin mason
8/6/2018 7:03pm
plowboy wrote:
This is 2018...when was the last time Roger picked a rider from the GP's? This could be the year for him to do it.
Last year
crusty_xx
Fantasy
207th
8/6/2018 7:16pm
Depends on next season.
If he finds some consistency he can be really good. But he's only 6th in the standings now, more than 200 points behind Prado. That's not great. Even if he can beat every single one of these guys on a good day. But what are the odds that he catches a good day at the mxdn event? You only have one throw away score.
Plessinger could probably be a really good sand rider
JB500
8/6/2018 7:23pm
plowboy wrote:
Last year
^This....and I laughed.
8/6/2018 7:36pm
plowboy wrote:
Covington is coming back to the states full time after this season
drt410
8/6/2018 8:00pm Edited Date/Time 8/6/2018 8:01pm
I think covington has really grown his skill set by running that mxgp series.....boys get fast racin that shit. I think American cookie cutter 40 foot...
I think covington has really grown his skill set by running that mxgp series.....boys get fast racin that shit. I think American cookie cutter 40 foot wide same prep every race isn’t doing anyone favors in the skill set department. If anything...it Makes them whine about shitty prep. . . Then some mxgp boys come over and lay down the waste. (Herlings....Ironman)
Yea but when Herlings came over to the Charlotte USGP he got beat by webb and then him and Tomac split motos at WW each winning 1. Thats not laying waste to us riders. Plus our 250 riders are way better and smoke them everytime they come here or race against eachother. Its really just Herlings and Cairoli that are up there with our 450 riders. Covington will be hovering around top 5 over here hes not even the top 3 fastest guy over there and our 250 riders are much better.
DonM
8/6/2018 8:15pm
crusty_xx wrote:
Depends on next season. If he finds some consistency he can be really good. But he's only 6th in the standings now, more than 200 points...
Depends on next season.
If he finds some consistency he can be really good. But he's only 6th in the standings now, more than 200 points behind Prado. That's not great. Even if he can beat every single one of these guys on a good day. But what are the odds that he catches a good day at the mxdn event? You only have one throw away score.
Are you forgetting about his knee injury that kept him out of a few races....He's been very consistent the last 6 races and has clearly shown that he has the speed to run up front and has done so by giving both Prado and Jonas trouble...
8/6/2018 9:39pm
I think covington has really grown his skill set by running that mxgp series.....boys get fast racin that shit. I think American cookie cutter 40 foot...
drt410 wrote:
Yea but when Herlings came over to the Charlotte USGP he got beat by webb and then him and Tomac split motos at WW each winning...
Yea but when Herlings came over to the Charlotte USGP he got beat by webb and then him and Tomac split motos at WW each winning 1. Thats not laying waste to us riders. Plus our 250 riders are way better and smoke them everytime they come here or race against eachother. Its really just Herlings and Cairoli that are up there with our 450 riders. Covington will be hovering around top 5 over here hes not even the top 3 fastest guy over there and our 250 riders are much better.
you mean our 450 rider right? Tomac is one guy. Roczen and Musquin are Euro. Herlings will wave at Baggett and Barcia every time he laps them.

Don’t compare Herlings winning iron man to Tomac at glen Helen, Charlotte or WW. All US tracks. Until Tomac shows up at Valkenswaard and lays waste it’ll never compare.

Who’s come here on a 250 and got waxed?

Pourcel? 2 x sx champ
Rattray? Multiple national wins
Musquin? 250 Sx champ
Roczen? 250 Sx champ
Ferrandis? Won a National this year

What planet you live on?

GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
8/6/2018 10:23pm
That’s an amazing photo.
RG1
8/6/2018 11:09pm
Covington is pretty underrated. The way he's managed to master all surfaces on the GP calendar to the point where he's now a threat to win any GP is very impressive. I hope he can avoid injury through SX next year because he could surprise a few people outdoors
drt410
8/6/2018 11:18pm
drt410 wrote:
Yea but when Herlings came over to the Charlotte USGP he got beat by webb and then him and Tomac split motos at WW each winning...
109 wrote:
you mean our 450 rider right? Tomac is one guy. Roczen and Musquin are Euro. Herlings will wave at Baggett and Barcia every time he laps...
you mean our 450 rider right? Tomac is one guy. Roczen and Musquin are Euro. Herlings will wave at Baggett and Barcia every time he laps them.

Don’t compare Herlings winning iron man to Tomac at glen Helen, Charlotte or WW. All US tracks. Until Tomac shows up at Valkenswaard and lays waste it’ll never compare.

Pourcel? 2 x sx champ
Musquin? 250 Sx champ
Roczen? 250 Sx champ

What planet you live on?

Uhh yea you literally have to compare Tomacs results this year is the US vs Herlings and then his results next year over seas and see how they both compare. Thats literally the only way the people dying to know whos really “faster” between the two will have any way to compare, by looking at the results on Tomacs home turf vs Herlings home turf. Thats if Tomac competes next year. Its still just 1 race for each so not a real sample size but its the best that theres gonna be.
APLMAN99
8/7/2018 5:55am
GuyB wrote:
That’s an amazing photo.
Yep, even when you straighten it up so that the spectators are vertical, it's still pretty freaking awesome.
kkawboy14
8/7/2018 6:06am
GuyB wrote:
That’s an amazing photo.
APLMAN99 wrote:
Yep, even when you straighten it up so that the spectators are vertical, it's still pretty freaking awesome.
Fake news!
rallendude
8/7/2018 6:08am
Hmm I dunno ML, regardless of where he's training I think he's gotta have a better edge on a track like Assen then the most of...
ML512 wrote:
Once again, it's over a year out. Multiple things can happen between now and then, such as an injury or even his current form. If he...
Once again, it's over a year out. Multiple things can happen between now and then, such as an injury or even his current form. If he stays healthy and is top three in 250 points, pushing for wins, I could see him as getting the nod. But if he's outside the top three, barely making podiums or coming off an injury...they'll pick who ever the top 250 guy is at the time.

If everyone is healthy, he'll likely be competing against Jeremy Martin or Aaron Plessinger at least for the spot; possibly more when you count Justin Cooper, Adam Cianciarulo, Austin Forkner, and a few others into the mix. Basically, it's all down to current form come time to pick, not past results or form from a year prior. I hope Covington is up there next year and gets a shot at redemption on team USA, but it's a long ways out to think anyone is a favorite outside of whoever is winning at the time the selection comes.
I totally agree with your opinion here but it's a little ironic you would lump Jeremy Martin, who's recovering from a very serious back/spine injury, in with guys a presently healthy Convington has to prove something against.
make1go
8/7/2018 6:20am
drt410 wrote:
109 wrote:
you mean our 450 rider right? Tomac is one guy. Roczen and Musquin are Euro. Herlings will wave at Baggett and Barcia every time he laps...

Pourcel? 2 x sx champ
Musquin? 250 Sx champ
Roczen? 250 Sx champ

What planet you live on?

planet "gotnoidea"

but im geussin hes 14 and thats an acceptable excuse.
8/7/2018 6:28am
ML512 wrote:
Once again, it's over a year out. Multiple things can happen between now and then, such as an injury or even his current form. If he...

rallendude wrote:
I totally agree with your opinion here but it's a little ironic you would lump Jeremy Martin, who's recovering from a very serious back/spine injury, in...
I totally agree with your opinion here but it's a little ironic you would lump Jeremy Martin, who's recovering from a very serious back/spine injury, in with guys a presently healthy Convington has to prove something against.
Huh ?
ML512
Fantasy
36th
8/7/2018 6:43am
ML512 wrote:

rallendude wrote:
I totally agree with your opinion here but it's a little ironic you would lump Jeremy Martin, who's recovering from a very serious back/spine injury, in...
Ironic? I guess I’m missing the irony. Jeremy is a two time champ, the injury is supposed to have little to almost no baring on his bodily performance once recovered, and he’s got enough time to get back in shape. I don’t see it being much of an issue by outdoors of next year, he’s the kinda guy that’ll come back just as strong and just as fast.
karsmakers
8/7/2018 6:54am
crusty_xx wrote:
Depends on next season. If he finds some consistency he can be really good. But he's only 6th in the standings now, more than 200 points...
Depends on next season.
That's disingenuous... he is 6th because he was injured and missed races. He has clearly shown he's a podium guy with a outside chance of winning
DonM
8/7/2018 7:36am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Didn't he win a moto at Assen one year ?
Yeah when it was a mud race.
So what's your point? Last I checked a win is a win...everybody lined up....
MotoMatt_928
8/7/2018 7:42am Edited Date/Time 8/7/2018 2:14pm
I'm hoping they put Covington on a FC350 and put him in the Open class. I think he will do extremely well on that bike.
8/7/2018 7:47am
I don't think Covington will be inside the top 5 his first year back at the end of the year.

Also, Jason Anderson, Eli Tomac and most likely Forkner or Plessinger are the best picks even in the sand.

Its Assen, not Lommel.

Post a reply to: Thomas Covington - Team USA MXdN 2019

The Latest