This week's Classic Steel is a look back at Greg Albertyn's 1999 250 MX National Title winning RM250

tblazier
1/30/2014 2:28pm Edited Date/Time 1/31/2014 2:15pm
|
Socket946
1/30/2014 3:00pm
Great article! He truly was one of the first African-Americans to really excel in this sport.

Loved the story!
Manbearpig
1/30/2014 3:09pm
That guy on that bike at Unadilla was unreal.... He made WFO and swapping his ass end around so cool that I bought that bike. Smile
TX24
1/30/2014 4:48pm
Socket946 wrote:
Great article! He truly was one of the first African-Americans to really excel in this sport.

Loved the story!
You mean he was a South African.

The Shop

rmpilot
1/30/2014 6:32pm
Socket946 wrote:

Loved the story!
TX24 wrote:
as in African who is in America. which can put as African American not unlike Italian American or Serbian American
Big Lenny
1/30/2014 6:35pm Edited Date/Time 1/30/2014 6:36pm
Socket946 wrote:

Loved the story!
TX24 wrote:
rmpilot wrote:
as in African who is in America. which can put as African American not unlike Italian American or Serbian American
Anybody ever look up African American in the dictionary?...I didn't think so...
mxaaron
1/30/2014 6:42pm
Socket946 wrote:

Loved the story!
Huh
Socket946
1/30/2014 7:10pm
Big Lenny wrote:
Anybody ever look up African American in the dictionary?...I didn't think so...
According to wikipedia, Alby is from J-burg, South Africa. This City and Country are part of the Sub-Saharan portions of Africa, where the term, "African American" is derived. Unless somehow J-burg is moved farther west, or south, according to the maps, he is technically African American.

Cite below:

African Americans are citizens or residents of the United States who have total or partial ancestry from any of the native populations of Sub-Saharan Africa

Simplified climatic map of Africa: Sub-Saharan Africa consists of the Sahel and the Horn of Africa in the north (yellow), the tropical savannas (light green) and the tropical rainforests (dark green) of Equatorial Africa, and the arid Kalahari Basin (yellow) and the "Mediterranean" south coast (olive) of Southern Africa.

Big Lenny
1/30/2014 7:24pm Edited Date/Time 1/30/2014 7:32pm
Straight Bullshit, you know Wiki is FOS, beside I said "Dictionary"...Typical, you don't even celebrate MLK's birthday in AZ...
tblazier
1/31/2014 7:23am
Excellent writing! Great detail T-Blaze.
Thanks for the kind words. As to the rest of this conversation......
OW38B
Fantasy
148th
1/31/2014 10:05am
Outstanding!..........as always. TBlazier never disappoints.
ATKpilot99
1/31/2014 10:28am
Excellent writing! Great detail T-Blaze.
tblazier wrote:
Thanks for the kind words. As to the rest of this conversation......
No kidding . Classic Vital . It sounds like a Nerd argument .
burn1986
Fantasy
3280th
1/31/2014 11:37am
Dang TBlaz, you keep pumping out quality articles! Man, that's a sweet bike and excellent write up. Thanks for all you do!
docwob
1/31/2014 12:20pm
please don't take this the wrong way-I hate to pick a fault as ive done a lot of writing over the years but i think his mechanic Joe mauer should have got a mention (unless my memory isnt what it should be),i worked for reynard in 98 and when his mid-season results were mediocre at best RD approached me to work with Albee as Ian was starting a family and wanted to be more in house,as things turned out RR picked it up and got a shot on the factory team and i got caught up in the no work visa bullshit Suzuki went through for a couple of years.
Ally Semar approached me whilst we were drinking beers at the Pro Circuit shop one night asking what was happening as i was actually written into RR's contract to be his mechanic but as news travels fast (and ally was kevin's mechanic at that point) i explained i didn't think i was able to stay (i had a job lined up with mike brown back in Europe which actaully never came to anything) but Ally asked if there was a job opening as Joey was bored of working with David Copperfield and was looking to get back into wrenching as he was a pro circuit wrench a few years previously.
I believe Joe worked with albee this year but i may be wrong.....
cheers,wobs
RACERX69
1/31/2014 1:37pm
Great article!

Still think if Alby would've stayed in Europe, Everts would not have near the number of championships he has.
tblazier
1/31/2014 2:15pm
docwob wrote:
please don't take this the wrong way-I hate to pick a fault as ive done a lot of writing over the years but i think his...
please don't take this the wrong way-I hate to pick a fault as ive done a lot of writing over the years but i think his mechanic Joe mauer should have got a mention (unless my memory isnt what it should be),i worked for reynard in 98 and when his mid-season results were mediocre at best RD approached me to work with Albee as Ian was starting a family and wanted to be more in house,as things turned out RR picked it up and got a shot on the factory team and i got caught up in the no work visa bullshit Suzuki went through for a couple of years.
Ally Semar approached me whilst we were drinking beers at the Pro Circuit shop one night asking what was happening as i was actually written into RR's contract to be his mechanic but as news travels fast (and ally was kevin's mechanic at that point) i explained i didn't think i was able to stay (i had a job lined up with mike brown back in Europe which actaully never came to anything) but Ally asked if there was a job opening as Joey was bored of working with David Copperfield and was looking to get back into wrenching as he was a pro circuit wrench a few years previously.
I believe Joe worked with albee this year but i may be wrong.....
cheers,wobs
No offense, taken and thanks for the input. I meant no disrespect to any of Albee's mechanics in the piece. I used two separate narratives in crafting it, One, the story of Albee's career and the other, the nuts and bolts of the bike. I did mention some of the guys behind the bike, but it was not my focus.

Thanks for reading

Post a reply to: This week's Classic Steel is a look back at Greg Albertyn's 1999 250 MX National Title winning RM250

The Latest