This sport really needs a premier Championship

Edited Date/Time 10/1/2012 6:01am
Let's face it, we got our asses handed to us today. We are a country that dwarfs most in size and resources, as well as population. That gives us a talent pool that is such an unfair advantage to pull from, that we really shouldnt ever lose a des Nations.

Maybe we sent the wrong crew? Would Bubba, Alessi, and Tomac have done better? Who is to say. It doesnt matter.

What this thread is about is the fact that it is total bullshit that the sports talent is split up into what really amounts to 4 or 5 classes over 3 different series.

MX1, MX2, SX1, SX2 West, SX2 East, AMA 450, AMA 250

MXdN is just a small sample of how entertaining this sport would be if we had one true premier championship. With all the talent, racing one international series for all the marbles.

It should be embarrassing to the people running this sport that we have things spread out like they are. Most every year the championship is boring about midway thru when half of the 3 or 4 guys that can win the title are already injured. If we had one championship with all the talent, you'd have over 10 guys in the class that could win on any given race day and you would never have a championship decided before it is finished much less be the snooze fest they usually end up being the final 4 or 5 races of the year.

It's just pathetic.

Imagine how much more exposure this sport could get if all the money spent on the various classes was channeled into promoting just one premier class.

Imagine having all these guys on the same line come 2013....

Cairoli
Reed
Dungey
Bubba
Canard
Barcia
Pourcel
Herlings
Roczen
Wilson
Alessi
DeSalle
Villopoto
Nagl
Paulin
Tomac
Bagget
and whomever else I forgot
|
Mondamx
9/30/2012 9:50am
The AMA should merge with the world championship to make one mega series.

Oh and bring all your prize dollars with you.
APLMAN99
9/30/2012 9:57am
Let's face it, we got our asses handed to us today. We are a country that dwarfs most in size and resources, as well as population...
Let's face it, we got our asses handed to us today. We are a country that dwarfs most in size and resources, as well as population. That gives us a talent pool that is such an unfair advantage to pull from, that we really shouldnt ever lose a des Nations.

Maybe we sent the wrong crew? Would Bubba, Alessi, and Tomac have done better? Who is to say. It doesnt matter.

What this thread is about is the fact that it is total bullshit that the sports talent is split up into what really amounts to 4 or 5 classes over 3 different series.

MXdN is just a small sample of how entertaining this sport would be if we had one true premier championship. With all the talent, racing one international series for all the marbles.

It should be embarrassing to the people running this sport that we have things spread out like they are. Most every year the championship is boring about midway thru when half of the 3 or 4 guys that can win the title are already injured. If we had one championship with all the talent, you'd have over 10 guys in the class that could win on any given race day and you would never have a championship decided before it is finished much less be the snooze fest they usually end up being the final 4 or 5 races of the year.

It's just pathetic.

Imagine how much more exposure this sport could get if all the money spent on the various classes was channeled into promoting just one premier class.

Cairoli
Reed
Dungey
Bubba
Canard
Barcia
Pourcel
Herlings
Roczen
Wilson
Alessi
DeSalle
Villopoto
Nagl
Paulin
Tomac
Bagget
If there were one combined series, half those guys might not get decent rides. I don't believe that there'd be as much support as it would seem there should be. If a guy is finishing 10th in either series right now, he might get decent support. Combine all those guys and maybe he's running 17th to 25th. Probably not as much support available for a guy finishing back there, even if the field is deeper.
mmcmx
9/30/2012 10:03am
I like having both series. But I wouldn't mind to see them shortened to make space for some sort of "champions league".
mmcmx
9/30/2012 10:04am
APLMAN99 wrote:
If there were one combined series, half those guys might not get decent rides. I don't believe that there'd be as much support as it would...
If there were one combined series, half those guys might not get decent rides. I don't believe that there'd be as much support as it would seem there should be. If a guy is finishing 10th in either series right now, he might get decent support. Combine all those guys and maybe he's running 17th to 25th. Probably not as much support available for a guy finishing back there, even if the field is deeper.
Think so too

The Shop

txmxer
9/30/2012 10:07am
I think everyone would like to see all the best on the track at the same time for a few races at least. The MXdN is great, but it's not a true battle to see who the best racer is.

But if it's all sand tracks, I think the US would have a lot of catching up to do!
9/30/2012 10:09am
APLMAN99 wrote:
If there were one combined series, half those guys might not get decent rides. I don't believe that there'd be as much support as it would...
Fair point. Very fair.

But if the sport is promoting the series well, the support should be there for everyone, 1st thru 30th.

Its a concept of promoting the sport equally rather than just the marquee teams or players. For example, a long time ago the NBA chose the other way to go with it and that difference in philosophy is why they arent half the industry that the NFL is.

MX spreads out its promotional resources over a bunch of series and then in those series it only focuses on a couple guys and there is no system of revenue sharing whatsoever. That is the complete opposite of how the worlds most successful sport operates.

We can do things the way successful people do them, or we can do them the other way. Which method does this sport probably fall under?
9/30/2012 10:11am
mmcmx wrote:
I like having both series. But I wouldn't mind to see them shortened to make space for some sort of "champions league".
That would be awesome and probably the most realistic.

Leave the AMA to have its Nat'l championships, condense the Euro series and then actually call it that, the "Euro Championships". And then run a short 3 race late summer true world championships series.

It'll never happen. I know Im just bitching for the sake of it. But one can dream cant they?
newmann
9/30/2012 10:23am
All the people involved in running, promoting, sanctioning and sponsoring the sport should be ashamed that the 125 class was killed off for no good reason.
APLMAN99
9/30/2012 10:32am
newmann wrote:
All the people involved in running, promoting, sanctioning and sponsoring the sport should be ashamed that the 125 class was killed off for no good reason.
Yep.

I think the absolute worst argument I ever made on here was with mxking about the displacement rules. I was sooo wrong on that one. I really wish we had went to a 125- 250 (2 or 4 stroke) - 500 (2 or 4 stroke) structure.
APLMAN99
9/30/2012 10:40am
APLMAN99 wrote:
Fair point. Very fair. But if the sport is promoting the series well, the support should be there for everyone, 1st thru 30th. Its a concept...
Fair point. Very fair.

But if the sport is promoting the series well, the support should be there for everyone, 1st thru 30th.

Its a concept of promoting the sport equally rather than just the marquee teams or players. For example, a long time ago the NBA chose the other way to go with it and that difference in philosophy is why they arent half the industry that the NFL is.

MX spreads out its promotional resources over a bunch of series and then in those series it only focuses on a couple guys and there is no system of revenue sharing whatsoever. That is the complete opposite of how the worlds most successful sport operates.

We can do things the way successful people do them, or we can do them the other way. Which method does this sport probably fall under?
I don't think mx compares to a lot of other sports. They aren't riding rolling billboards, the field gets really spread out really fast so TV time for the back markers would be rare, and its hard to show racing back in the pack without missing action up front.

I think ideally we'd see a few more regional series beef up. Make the current GP series a Euro championship. The current AMA series an "Americas" (north and south) championship, and build up an "Australasian" championship. 8-10 races each, then a 6-8 World Series in late summer/early fall. I think more riders might be able to actually make a living at the sport than if we cram everyone into one series.
LappedU
9/30/2012 10:43am
Mondamx wrote:

I like this idea!
CR250Rider
9/30/2012 11:03am
Let's face it, we got our asses handed to us today. We are a country that dwarfs most in size and resources, as well as population...

It's just pathetic.

Cairoli
Reed
Dungey
Bubba
Canard
Barcia
Pourcel
Herlings
Roczen
Wilson
Alessi
DeSalle
Villopoto
Nagl
Paulin
Tomac
Bagget
Greats points

never happen
Mondamx
9/30/2012 11:08am Edited Date/Time 9/30/2012 11:09am
Mondamx wrote:

LappedU wrote:
I like this idea!
This idea has been around for ages. Europe and the Americas (inc Canada) would make a super championship. The crap part is a certain fat Italian who wants to milk the sport dry. Until he goes it will be just a dream.
SlowMoFo
9/30/2012 11:16am
mmcmx wrote:
That will be awsome!
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
9/30/2012 11:50am
IMO there's not a enough money in the sport to support the kind of all-in-one series people want to see. I wish the economics weren't so, but I believe it is.
Hank_Thrill
9/30/2012 11:59am Edited Date/Time 9/30/2012 12:18pm
I'm for keeping things the way they are. If both series were merged, something like half the professional riders now on both sides of the pond would be pushed out of a job, unless there were some minor league form of racing. Having two series allows for more people to race professionally. The cost of teams going back and forth overseas would be extremely high as well. Not to mention It would complicate things even worse for true privateers. The MXdN would seem a little less special as well if these guys were battling every weekend.
Trav138
9/30/2012 12:00pm
I agree, would be something to have a series such as that. All that talent on the line, FTE is probably right on the economics. Imo the sport is to small on global scale to support it.
olds cool
9/30/2012 12:11pm
We used to have the solution to this. It was called the Trans AMA Series. Modernize it by running it in the US one year, and then in Europe the next, or make it a 6 race series and do half the rounds here and half over there. I know, the season is too long already, the teams can't afford to support it, yada yada yada.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
9/30/2012 12:12pm
olds cool wrote:
We used to have the solution to this. It was called the Trans AMA Series. Modernize it by running it in the US one year, and...
We used to have the solution to this. It was called the Trans AMA Series. Modernize it by running it in the US one year, and then in Europe the next, or make it a 6 race series and do half the rounds here and half over there. I know, the season is too long already, the teams can't afford to support it, yada yada yada.
As long as Feld and SX rule, that's not going to happen.
olds cool
9/30/2012 12:34pm
olds cool wrote:
We used to have the solution to this. It was called the Trans AMA Series. Modernize it by running it in the US one year, and...
Yea, that was part of the "yada yada yada". Wink
Mondamx
9/30/2012 12:47pm
I'm for keeping things the way they are. If both series were merged, something like half the professional riders now on both sides of the pond...
I'm for keeping things the way they are. If both series were merged, something like half the professional riders now on both sides of the pond would be pushed out of a job, unless there were some minor league form of racing. Having two series allows for more people to race professionally. The cost of teams going back and forth overseas would be extremely high as well. Not to mention It would complicate things even worse for true privateers. The MXdN would seem a little less special as well if these guys were battling every weekend.
But imagine if monster or redbull stepped up and piad some serious prize money (like football, basketball, golf,tennis etc) to the best, where ever they are from for one super series which enveloped the AMA and GP circuits. Ok the MXdN would fade away but we would have the MXdN most weekends and our heros would be well paid for their talent.

It could be reality, we just have to get rid of the fat Italian.

Does anyone have a spare horses head ?
Flip109
9/30/2012 12:47pm
We should just offer scary and herlings big bonus money to come race our series.
9/30/2012 1:10pm
Flip109 wrote:
We should just offer scary and herlings big bonus money to come race our series.
I think you find 'scary'' is paid well already.

Monda cant believe your still beating the prize money drum. it's not 1985 anymore. I guess you think Leok, Dydyker & co all paid there entry fee also.. Wink

It will be a shame if herlings did leave to ride the AMA nationals, to think he has all that talent in the deep sand & will end up riding 'samey' flat out tracks.

What would be ideal if the G.P, got more main stream, more money could then be found by the teams. Aim for decent salaries to be paid right through the field. If it were possible to tempt the top US riders into the G.P, series then we would have a true world champs. could even hold a couple of rd's in states.

Prob is the US has a huge national series which pays the top guys very well. Unless the G.P.'s can grow then it wont change. Shame would be amazing.
Mondamx
9/30/2012 1:15pm
mitchell 8 wrote:
I think you find 'scary'' is paid well already. Monda cant believe your still beating the prize money drum. it's not 1985 anymore. I guess you...

Monda cant believe your still beating the prize money drum. it's not 1985 anymore. I guess you think Leok, Dydyker & co all paid there entry fee also.. Wink

It will be a shame if herlings did leave to ride the AMA nationals, to think he has all that talent in the deep sand & will end up riding 'samey' flat out tracks.

What would be ideal if the G.P, got more main stream, more money could then be found by the teams. Aim for decent salaries to be paid right through the field. If it were possible to tempt the top US riders into the G.P, series then we would have a true world champs. could even hold a couple of rd's in states.

Prob is the US has a huge national series which pays the top guys very well. Unless the G.P.'s can grow then it wont change. Shame would be amazing.
The GP's grow !?! What the fuk are you smoking man ? The GP's are shrinking faster that your prick in a ice bath and all because of your fat Italian buddy.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
9/30/2012 1:16pm
olds cool wrote:
olds cool wrote:
Yea, that was part of the "yada yada yada". Wink
Unfortunately
9/30/2012 1:24pm Edited Date/Time 9/30/2012 1:25pm
mitchell 8 wrote:
I think you find 'scary'' is paid well already. Monda cant believe your still beating the prize money drum. it's not 1985 anymore. I guess you...

Mondamx wrote:
The GP's grow !?! What the fuk are you smoking man ? The GP's are shrinking faster that your prick in a ice bath and all...
The GP's grow !?! What the fuk are you smoking man ? The GP's are shrinking faster that your prick in a ice bath and all because of your fat Italian buddy.
Well the fact that the USA were beaten by a multitude of G.P. riders today & lost for the first time in 7 years would suggest that the talent is there.

The MX1 has had 7 different race winners this year, the british G.P, had 10 hours of live TV & a 4 day event. The series is venturing to new parts of the world & YS are giving travel subsidies next year for the non factory teams.

I do agree the G.P.'s need to grow more though & more riders need to be there. but your idea that paying 20th place a couple of grand & lose the live media is the way forward is the biggest joke.
10/1/2012 3:12am Edited Date/Time 10/1/2012 3:12am
I'm for keeping things the way they are. If both series were merged, something like half the professional riders now on both sides of the pond...
Half the pro's would be out of a job? That's because half the pro's half-ass it. The collective core of slacker-dom is very large in this little bubble we call MX.

As for the economics argument that FTE and others propose, there never will be if a true premier series doesnt exist.

And if you really add up all the money spent on the 5 different classes / 3 series when it comes to promotions, teams, etc.... There is more than enough to build a true premier championship.

But we will never see it happen. All the people involved have a nice lil setup where everyone is making money. Why shake up a good thing right? A true premier class/championship only benefits the sport itself and the true premier riders. It does NOTHING for the current administrations but hurts most of their bottom lines.
10/1/2012 3:13am
mitchell 8 wrote:
Well the fact that the USA were beaten by a multitude of G.P. riders today & lost for the first time in 7 years would suggest...
Well the fact that the USA were beaten by a multitude of G.P. riders today & lost for the first time in 7 years would suggest that the talent is there.

The MX1 has had 7 different race winners this year, the british G.P, had 10 hours of live TV & a 4 day event. The series is venturing to new parts of the world & YS are giving travel subsidies next year for the non factory teams.

I do agree the G.P.'s need to grow more though & more riders need to be there. but your idea that paying 20th place a couple of grand & lose the live media is the way forward is the biggest joke.
mitchell does bring up a few good points.
Lone Wolf
10/1/2012 3:32am
It would be cool to have one series with all the top riders competing, but realistically it will never happen (unfortunately).
Lone Wolf
10/1/2012 3:36am
mitchell 8 wrote:
Well the fact that the USA were beaten by a multitude of G.P. riders today & lost for the first time in 7 years would suggest...

mitchell does bring up a few good points.
Agreed - his posts in this thread are on point. I don't like a lot of things Luongo and YS have done, but I can see they have done the series a lot of good in some ways, too. (hijack over).

Post a reply to: This sport really needs a premier Championship

The Latest