This is why I shop online...

NeedMoto
2/21/2020 8:35am
triplej533 wrote:
This is an interesting read for sure. I’m not sure how many people buy new bikes on this forum but withhout dealers we can’t buy new...
This is an interesting read for sure. I’m not sure how many people buy new bikes on this forum but withhout dealers we can’t buy new bikes! This conspiracy of dealer are more expensive is very rare. Almost Everything online is Under MAP POLICY(Minimum Advertised Price) so dealer for the most part are the same price if not cheaper! Dealer also have the feature now where they can drop ship. So the gentleman that needed a cable in Florida, those dealers you called could have easily dropped shipped one to you and you would have had it next day. Not sure why they didn’t offer it to you but buying from a dealer is a lot more beneficial than buying online. You have a relationship with someone who likes what you like, if you need something warrantied it’s a lot easier through a dealer than through the internet. We are moto people and I don’t know about you guys but I like meeting people that are passionate about the same stuff as me. GIVE YOUR DEALERS A SHOT, tell them I’m about to buy this online, Can you help me!! 9 out of 10 times the dealer will go above and beyond to help. It’s all about communication, if you don’t Inform your dealer what you NEED how do they know what to stock! COMMUNICATE, COMMUNICATE!!
Correct!^^^

I get a 15% discount from my local dealer. Often ends up being less than online, and they drop ship to my house.

Life is good... let's moto!
dcg141
2/21/2020 8:56am
We keep about $150000 worth of parts and accessories in stock. Its rare someone comes in and we don't have their part. Either its something that does not break often or its new and we have not caught it yet. We also order at least twice a week so we get parts in regularly. I realize we are no longer the norm. The best part is it keeps our shop on schedule. Normally we don't have to order for repairs. High wear parts like filters and brake pads we order by the gross. It helps us move bikes also. Lets face it everyone makes good bikes but if I keep parts on the shelf it makes the customer think more about buying from us. We make a point to show them our parts dept. Our walls in the showroom are full of accessories.
captmoto
2/21/2020 10:07am
xrmark wrote:
you realize rotella is used by some of the best factory teams right??
Why would a factory team use Rotella when they are paid to use a certain product and they get new oil and filters every race? Why bother with Rotella on a bike that gets a new clutch every race? Supercross bikes don't get more than 3 hours on them on Saturdays.
yz133rider
2/21/2020 10:39am
xrmark wrote:
you realize rotella is used by some of the best factory teams right??
captmoto wrote:
Why would a factory team use Rotella when they are paid to use a certain product and they get new oil and filters every race? Why...
Why would a factory team use Rotella when they are paid to use a certain product and they get new oil and filters every race? Why bother with Rotella on a bike that gets a new clutch every race? Supercross bikes don't get more than 3 hours on them on Saturdays.
....because it works.

The Shop

Chance1216
2/21/2020 11:39am
triplej533 wrote:
This is an interesting read for sure. I’m not sure how many people buy new bikes on this forum but withhout dealers we can’t buy new...
This is an interesting read for sure. I’m not sure how many people buy new bikes on this forum but withhout dealers we can’t buy new bikes! This conspiracy of dealer are more expensive is very rare. Almost Everything online is Under MAP POLICY(Minimum Advertised Price) so dealer for the most part are the same price if not cheaper! Dealer also have the feature now where they can drop ship. So the gentleman that needed a cable in Florida, those dealers you called could have easily dropped shipped one to you and you would have had it next day. Not sure why they didn’t offer it to you but buying from a dealer is a lot more beneficial than buying online. You have a relationship with someone who likes what you like, if you need something warrantied it’s a lot easier through a dealer than through the internet. We are moto people and I don’t know about you guys but I like meeting people that are passionate about the same stuff as me. GIVE YOUR DEALERS A SHOT, tell them I’m about to buy this online, Can you help me!! 9 out of 10 times the dealer will go above and beyond to help. It’s all about communication, if you don’t Inform your dealer what you NEED how do they know what to stock! COMMUNICATE, COMMUNICATE!!
You clearly have no idea what your talking about. Look at OEM items cost at a dealership then look up the same part at Motosport as an example. There’s no conspiracy about dealerships being more expensive. It’s a fact.
Shaggin589
2/21/2020 1:56pm
triplej533 wrote:
Chance1216 wrote:
You clearly have no idea what your talking about. Look at OEM items cost at a dealership then look up the same part at Motosport as...
You clearly have no idea what your talking about. Look at OEM items cost at a dealership then look up the same part at Motosport as an example. There’s no conspiracy about dealerships being more expensive. It’s a fact.
He is talking aftermarket parts not OEM.
Chance1216
2/21/2020 2:23pm
triplej533 wrote:
Chance1216 wrote:
You clearly have no idea what your talking about. Look at OEM items cost at a dealership then look up the same part at Motosport as...
Shaggin589 wrote:
Care to show which part of anything he said stated aftermarket?
2/21/2020 2:56pm
Chance1216 wrote:
Shaggin589 wrote:
Chance1216 wrote:
You must be new or not involved in the industry. Where do you think those online companies get there OEM parts from?! They either own a dealership or get them from a dealer. For instance, Motorsport just bought a dealership in Virginia. Oem manufactures don’t sell to online they require you to own a dealer franchise. So you’re wrong but that’s ok you’re learning. All Dealers can do the same price on oem parts as online it’s just up to them if they want to. Again goes back to what I said, build a relationship and you can easily get parts as cheap if not cheaper from you dealer! Good luck with your negativity though bud...... I like new bikes, I like having a relationship with someone, so I will continue to shop local.
Chance1216
2/21/2020 3:10pm
Shaggin589 wrote:
Chance1216 wrote:
triplej533 wrote:
You must be new or not involved in the industry. Where do you think those online companies get there OEM parts from?! They either own a...
You must be new or not involved in the industry. Where do you think those online companies get there OEM parts from?! They either own a dealership or get them from a dealer. For instance, Motorsport just bought a dealership in Virginia. Oem manufactures don’t sell to online they require you to own a dealer franchise. So you’re wrong but that’s ok you’re learning. All Dealers can do the same price on oem parts as online it’s just up to them if they want to. Again goes back to what I said, build a relationship and you can easily get parts as cheap if not cheaper from you dealer! Good luck with your negativity though bud...... I like new bikes, I like having a relationship with someone, so I will continue to shop local.
New? I’m 42 fucking years old and been riding since I was nine. Once again where did he state aftermarket? Avoiding that initial question are we? Oem parts are way cheaper through Motosport. I compare parts before making any purchases. You know? Separate carts from different sources. Nearly every single dealership charges retail. Does Rocky Mountain? No. Does Motosport? No. I don’t care where they gets their parts. I care about getting the most for my money. As far as building a relationship, what am I’m supposed to do, court the dealership before getting the same price as an online source? Pffft. Got better things to do.
2/21/2020 3:49pm
Chance1216 wrote:
triplej533 wrote:
You must be new or not involved in the industry. Where do you think those online companies get there OEM parts from?! They either own a...
Chance1216 wrote:
New? I’m 42 fucking years old and been riding since I was nine. Once again where did he state aftermarket? Avoiding that initial question are we...
New? I’m 42 fucking years old and been riding since I was nine. Once again where did he state aftermarket? Avoiding that initial question are we? Oem parts are way cheaper through Motosport. I compare parts before making any purchases. You know? Separate carts from different sources. Nearly every single dealership charges retail. Does Rocky Mountain? No. Does Motosport? No. I don’t care where they gets their parts. I care about getting the most for my money. As far as building a relationship, what am I’m supposed to do, court the dealership before getting the same price as an online source? Pffft. Got better things to do.
Ok cool. I bet in construction you love when people beat you up over pricing. And I said almost everything. So oem isn’t everything, what’s your point? You don’t like dealerships and you don’t like to supporting a family business. That’s your decision. Have a great weekend bud 👍
Chance1216
2/21/2020 4:00pm
triplej533 wrote:
Chance1216 wrote:
New? I’m 42 fucking years old and been riding since I was nine. Once again where did he state aftermarket? Avoiding that initial question are we...
triplej533 wrote:
Ok cool. I bet in construction you love when people beat you up over pricing. And I said almost everything. So oem isn’t everything, what’s your...
Ok cool. I bet in construction you love when people beat you up over pricing. And I said almost everything. So oem isn’t everything, what’s your point? You don’t like dealerships and you don’t like to supporting a family business. That’s your decision. Have a great weekend bud 👍
Still didn’t point out what he said in regards to aftermarket. I actually enjoy my hourly wage. If you read some of my other responses, you would’ve seen where I said I enjoyed going to the dealership with my son before closing down. Don’t make assumptions when you clearly haven’t read everything.
2/21/2020 4:20pm
Chance1216 wrote:
triplej533 wrote:
Ok cool. I bet in construction you love when people beat you up over pricing. And I said almost everything. So oem isn’t everything, what’s your...
Chance1216 wrote:
Still didn’t point out what he said in regards to aftermarket. I actually enjoy my hourly wage. If you read some of my other responses, you...
Still didn’t point out what he said in regards to aftermarket. I actually enjoy my hourly wage. If you read some of my other responses, you would’ve seen where I said I enjoyed going to the dealership with my son before closing down. Don’t make assumptions when you clearly haven’t read everything.
Yes I said almost everything is map policy.

So aftermarket

Ebc- map policy
Fmf- map policy
All balls- map policy
Motion pro- map policy

The list goes on. And that’s awesome you took your son to the dealership I wish we had more of that today. There are a lot of people on this forum that probably have those memories of going to shops on Saturday’s. That’s pretty much what I’m saying, i wish we could get back to that and not get so caught up in the internet. I understand there is a convenience to it. But these shops need our help and it starts with us communicating to them what they should stock. These shops what to service you, we just need to give them a chance.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
2/21/2020 5:07pm
triplej533 wrote:
Chance1216 wrote:
Still didn’t point out what he said in regards to aftermarket. I actually enjoy my hourly wage. If you read some of my other responses, you...
triplej533 wrote:
Yes I said almost everything is map policy. So aftermarket Ebc- map policy Fmf- map policy All balls- map policy Motion pro- map policy The list...

So aftermarket

Ebc- map policy
Fmf- map policy
All balls- map policy
Motion pro- map policy

The list goes on. And that’s awesome you took your son to the dealership I wish we had more of that today. There are a lot of people on this forum that probably have those memories of going to shops on Saturday’s. That’s pretty much what I’m saying, i wish we could get back to that and not get so caught up in the internet. I understand there is a convenience to it. But these shops need our help and it starts with us communicating to them what they should stock. These shops what to service you, we just need to give them a chance.
A point that a lot of you are missing, especially in Southern California, is by the time I get off work and try sitting in traffic, I can’t get to my local shop or dealer before they close. Weekends? A lot of them are only open Saturday and my Saturday's are usually taken up with kids stuff, sports and things like that. On top of the fact that they hardly have anything! One shop that a buddy of mine owns, does have a lot of stuff in stock, but I can’t get there when they are open.

My closest Yamaha and Suzuki dealer? 45-60 minutes away. Again, I can’t get there when they are open. So unfortunately, I’m not able to support my friend who owns a shop and I have no choice but to order online because I can have it shipped directly to my place of work and take it home with me.
Chance1216
2/21/2020 6:38pm Edited Date/Time 2/21/2020 8:45pm
triplej533 wrote:
Chance1216 wrote:
triplej533 wrote:
Yes I said almost everything is map policy. So aftermarket Ebc- map policy Fmf- map policy All balls- map policy Motion pro- map policy The list...

So aftermarket

Ebc- map policy
Fmf- map policy
All balls- map policy
Motion pro- map policy

I did give the few close to where I have lived over the years a chance and a lot of business. Like I said before, after the one I went to on a regular basis closed, the other raised its price. I gave a lot to Pro Caliber in Vancouver Wa, Southbound Honda in Tacoma, Hinshaws in Auburn Wa, T&O Yamaha in Lomita Ca, Del Amo Motorsports etc. House of Handlebars. Ever hear of them? Probably not MR. knows the industry. The list goes on.
I do price comparisons regularly. However, I also have friends that work at Motosport. Regardless of having friends there, aside from Rocky Mountain their prices are the cheapest. I know dealerships are owned a lot of times by people barely getting by. I myself depending on my workload “just get by”. To address your comment, as far as people trying to get me to come down on a price for plumbing, it’s contract work. A legal agreement. Plumbers getting beat down on pricing are service guys. Big difference between a commercially licensed plumber who installs pipes in commercial buildings, medical gas in a hospital, deals with liquid oxygen and cryogenics, and the guy with his snake in back of a truck unclogging a line. Hey, you learned something.

Back to the topic. If prices were comparable to online I would be back in the dealerships. But, they’re not.
The other issues I encountered were dealing with people who only worked there cause it’s a job. Not because they were interested in the sport or were involved in it. Total lack of knowledge, screwing up orders, ordering the wrong part and as others have mentioned wanting a restocking fee.
I have no reason to try negotiating prices. That’s what they charge. In most cases, why waste my time? If local dealerships close, OEM parts online through a dealership are retail, what’s the point of favoring a shop that people seem to think its on us consumers to continually support them while they’re charging us up the ass? MOST of my parts I stock up on are OEM. Cables, hardware, clutch plates, brake pads, plastics, etc. Is it really worthwhile to set up two separate orders from a online store for OEM pieces, then set up another cart for aftermarket from a dealership? I’m not paying two separate shipping charges. Maybe that’s selfish in some people’s eyes. I honestly don’t care. They are not signing my checks or paying my bills and neither are you! Once again you’ve eluded the question which remains unanswered. Where did this person state aftermarket? Is it so hard to admit you don’t know what your talking about? You made a simple statement. Where’s the simple answer?
2/21/2020 11:28pm
You guys defending the dealers not having stuff in stock is really strange... for me as a Swede at least. I live in a town in Sweden with a 50k population, and we have 2 MX-dealers. One of them have snowmobiles as their main business (and Husqvarna/Honda MX) and the other one sells only MX (Beta, Kawasaki, TM). Both places have all regular stuff in stock - brake pads, wheel bearings, grips - you name it. The Beta place have those stuff for KTM/Husqvarna as well.

If a dealer did not have those stuff in stock in Sweden I am quite sure they would go out of business...
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3665th
2/22/2020 6:42am
Also, online can have the part at my doorstep faster than a dealer can at his counter cheaper. I work long days and hours. It’s Noce having the part waiting on me. It’s 2020 these dealers should be able to easily drop ship parts just as fast.
sandtrack315
2/22/2020 7:03am
I don't get the preference for supporting dealers. Real people work and making a living at places like MotoSport. I have been ordering things from them for a while now and have a great guy I work with there. I get a good deal on everything and he ensures I am getting the correct parts and handles returns great. Capitalism means the dealers have to adjust or go out of business if they cannot offer the same prices and experience.
BMc914
2/22/2020 7:08am

xrmark
2/22/2020 8:41am
captmoto wrote:
Why would a factory team use Rotella when they are paid to use a certain product and they get new oil and filters every race? Why...
I know of a certain factory team that poured out said oil and poured in rotella. Happens more often than not. The shit works
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3665th
2/22/2020 9:02am
xrmark wrote:
I know of a certain factory team that poured out said oil and poured in rotella. Happens more often than not. The shit works
T4 👍🏻
Brosho
2/23/2020 8:34am
When you purchase a bike (especially a used bike) why not just order all the spare parts that you need to replace eventually anyway? So if and when you do need to replace either the worn part or broken part you already have it. Most of us have spare new tires because we know tires need to be replaced often. Why not have spare clutch cables/parts, top ends, plastics, seat covers, brakes and so on in a spare gear bag. Why depend on the dealership to stock those parts when you can stock them yourself and be called a Hoarder by all your friends?
walent215
2/23/2020 9:24am
Brosho wrote:
When you purchase a bike (especially a used bike) why not just order all the spare parts that you need to replace eventually anyway? So if...
When you purchase a bike (especially a used bike) why not just order all the spare parts that you need to replace eventually anyway? So if and when you do need to replace either the worn part or broken part you already have it. Most of us have spare new tires because we know tires need to be replaced often. Why not have spare clutch cables/parts, top ends, plastics, seat covers, brakes and so on in a spare gear bag. Why depend on the dealership to stock those parts when you can stock them yourself and be called a Hoarder by all your friends?
Exacry
walent215
2/23/2020 9:40am
Went to Malcolm Smith Motorsorts in Riverside a couple days ago. What a great store from the service dept to sales and parts. Buddy had his 1290 adventurer serviced while we waited / browsed/ bought parts. Everyone was very helpful and Its too bad for people like myself that dont have a " local" dealer like Malcolm Smith's. I order a ton online for many reasons but if I had a malcolm Smith's local to me I would be more than happy to patronize a brick mortar shop. Found a pair of LE Instincts for $299 and a pair of new pants for my boy. Had the salesman set them aside for me and when I went to pay for them he tells me he has some good news. He found same pair in the back for $199. Of course I'm stoked and proceed to spend about $350 in the store that day. Kudos to the professionals at Malcolm Smith for being " that " dealer who understands economics/ customer service and adapts to the market demands. Even though they are a 2.5 hour drive for me , I will be back.
2/24/2020 10:55pm
Should have ordered from RMATVMC. Hell as long as I order by 7pm it's on my porch by 1030 am the next morning. I order on friday, and it says it will be there on Monday......but almost always comes fed ex on Saturday stil.

Does not pay to even drive to the dealership when almost everything I ever order is in stock.

To the guy that paid $50 on a hold to get a seat bolt.....man, go to ACE hardware grab you a $1 stainless bolt and washer and your good to go. All that hassle for a seat bolt?

Post a reply to: This is why I shop online...

The Latest