This is why I shop online...

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
2/20/2020 9:15am
reded wrote:
I shop online because my nearest KTM dealer is 60mi away. It’s a half day ordeal to get there and find out they don’t have the...
I shop online because my nearest KTM dealer is 60mi away. It’s a half day ordeal to get there and find out they don’t have the part. I can order online as late as Thursday, choose FeEx delivery and still receive parts on Saturday. The Big Four dealers near me stock very few parts, aren’t knowledgeable about their products and don’t act friendly towards customers.
You wanna get yourself a phone! Then you'll be able to call your dealer to see if they have it before you go drive all that...
You wanna get yourself a phone! Then you'll be able to call your dealer to see if they have it before you go drive all that way.

O&GDriller wrote:
Most millennial's don't realize those things surgically attached to their hands/body that I call a "phone" are capable of making a "phone call". Hell, they don't...
Most millennial's don't realize those things surgically attached to their hands/body that I call a "phone" are capable of making a "phone call". Hell, they don't even know what a "phone call" is. You ever see a millennial try to have a conversation with somebody they don't know such as a cashier or a waiter. They don't even know how to have a conversation.
Hang out with me for a day and I bet I change your mind.
BobPA
2/20/2020 9:17am
side-pipe wrote:
Heck last time I went to the mall looking for something the store didnt have my size. They offered to order and have it delivered to...

Heck last time I went to the mall looking for something the store didnt have my size. They offered to order and have it delivered to my house. If i can get clothes delivered to me from a face to face transaction why the hell cant bike shops do the same.

They can....
Killer Customz
2/20/2020 9:22am
Down in Florida for a moto vacation and I break a clutch cable. Yes I should’ve brought my Extra clutch cable with me but it didn’t...
Down in Florida for a moto vacation and I break a clutch cable. Yes I should’ve brought my Extra clutch cable with me but it didn’t cross my mind since I’ve never snapped one. Anyways long story short I called over 10 dealers and not one of them carried a clutch cable for a 2019 CRF450r....yet they complain we need to support our local dealers. Luckily I’m borrowing a buddies bike so my trip is saved but come on dealers...
It is really funny to me that people believe that "online" is a store that stocks everything there is for every bike. It is simply drop shipping a very high percentage of the time. Support local because they are who supports the local track. Times have changed as bikes evolve, from a simple clutch cable fitting a range of like 1989-2002 Honda 2 strokes to know a new cable number for 2009-2011, 2012-2013, 2014, 2015-2017, 2018 and 2019 all having separate part numbers. Which do they stock? You ordering online is no different than just asking your dealer if they don't have something to possibly drop ship it to you. Its just as quick, you're building a relationships and maybe they'll like you enough to stock stuff for your bike, knowing that you're loyal and they don't want to see you stranded. While nobody could have predicted that your cable would break, why are we mad at dealers for you being unprepared for you big Florida trip? I hope the day that you need a quick bottle of oil, your local dealer is out of business...Enjoy your Rotella!
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
2/20/2020 9:32am
I worked at a local shop for 4 years. We weren’t a dealer, but we made sure we carried as much as possible!

Had an 89 RM125? We had levers, clutch cables, throttle cables, throttle tubes, filters and perches.

Had a Honda and needed OEM bolts or gaskets? We had them.

Sure, some of the stuff sat for a while, but if you needed it, we had it.

The owner was a racer and his kids are currently racing SX. He knew that even if it took a while to sell, at least we had it when it was needed.

The Shop

Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1089th
2/20/2020 9:41am
Down in Florida for a moto vacation and I break a clutch cable. Yes I should’ve brought my Extra clutch cable with me but it didn’t...
Down in Florida for a moto vacation and I break a clutch cable. Yes I should’ve brought my Extra clutch cable with me but it didn’t cross my mind since I’ve never snapped one. Anyways long story short I called over 10 dealers and not one of them carried a clutch cable for a 2019 CRF450r....yet they complain we need to support our local dealers. Luckily I’m borrowing a buddies bike so my trip is saved but come on dealers...
It is really funny to me that people believe that "online" is a store that stocks everything there is for every bike. It is simply drop...
It is really funny to me that people believe that "online" is a store that stocks everything there is for every bike. It is simply drop shipping a very high percentage of the time. Support local because they are who supports the local track. Times have changed as bikes evolve, from a simple clutch cable fitting a range of like 1989-2002 Honda 2 strokes to know a new cable number for 2009-2011, 2012-2013, 2014, 2015-2017, 2018 and 2019 all having separate part numbers. Which do they stock? You ordering online is no different than just asking your dealer if they don't have something to possibly drop ship it to you. Its just as quick, you're building a relationships and maybe they'll like you enough to stock stuff for your bike, knowing that you're loyal and they don't want to see you stranded. While nobody could have predicted that your cable would break, why are we mad at dealers for you being unprepared for you big Florida trip? I hope the day that you need a quick bottle of oil, your local dealer is out of business...Enjoy your Rotella!
Rotella is awesome. Ask any "Factory team"
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
2/20/2020 10:54am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I worked at a local shop for 4 years. We weren’t a dealer, but we made sure we carried as much as possible! Had an 89...
I worked at a local shop for 4 years. We weren’t a dealer, but we made sure we carried as much as possible!

Had an 89 RM125? We had levers, clutch cables, throttle cables, throttle tubes, filters and perches.

The owner was a racer and his kids are currently racing SX. He knew that even if it took a while to sell, at least we had it when it was needed.
You must be talking about Russ and Pit Pro. Always made a point of stopping by when I was out that way and picking something up.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
2/20/2020 11:11am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I worked at a local shop for 4 years. We weren’t a dealer, but we made sure we carried as much as possible! Had an 89...

avidchimp wrote:
You must be talking about Russ and Pit Pro. Always made a point of stopping by when I was out that way and picking something up.
Yes sir! Worked there from 08-12
side-pipe
Fantasy
3300th
2/20/2020 11:26am
side-pipe wrote:
Heck last time I went to the mall looking for something the store didnt have my size. They offered to order and have it delivered to...

Heck last time I went to the mall looking for something the store didnt have my size. They offered to order and have it delivered to my house. If i can get clothes delivered to me from a face to face transaction why the hell cant bike shops do the same.

BobPA wrote:
They can....
None that I have been to.

2/20/2020 11:29am
It is really funny to me that people believe that "online" is a store that stocks everything there is for every bike. It is simply drop...
Shitting on rotella pretty much confirms that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
reded
2/20/2020 11:40am Edited Date/Time 2/20/2020 11:42am
Most are stocked to the rafters with SXS lights, bumpers, whips, roofs, tires, wheels, winches, plows and harnesses but they can’t afford to stock a $15 clutch cable for a late model MX bike. Tell me again why we should waste our time? Since I have the prescience of mind to order oil ahead of time, I’ll keep ordering online and let them make their money on winches and snow plows. They’ve made it known that they don’t need me.
MOTO1313
2/20/2020 11:50am Edited Date/Time 2/20/2020 11:51am
Here's what killed at least some of the need to buy locally...YOUTUBE. You can YT almost any part or accessory for your bike. You can see videos done by multiple people, see the product in use, get great close ups of the product and really see and know exactly what you are getting. You used to have to go local dealer or shop to see something...IF they even stocked the product you want. Which in many cases, they did not stock it. You were buying off a catalog picture and hoping you liked it. Now, with social media, you can feel 100 times more comfortable buying a product online without ever really seeing it in person.
MotoMan12345
Fantasy
1924th
2/20/2020 12:02pm
Shitting on rotella pretty much confirms that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
140 hours on my bike and only rotella
xrmark
2/20/2020 12:41pm
O&GDriller wrote:
Most millennial's don't realize those things surgically attached to their hands/body that I call a "phone" are capable of making a "phone call". Hell, they don't...
Most millennial's don't realize those things surgically attached to their hands/body that I call a "phone" are capable of making a "phone call". Hell, they don't even know what a "phone call" is. You ever see a millennial try to have a conversation with somebody they don't know such as a cashier or a waiter. They don't even know how to have a conversation.
Just because your kid/grandkid is like that Doesn’t mean the rest of the world is.
xrmark
2/20/2020 12:45pm
you realize rotella is used by some of the best factory teams right??
skeef
Fantasy
1421st
2/20/2020 1:12pm
deluxeman wrote:
I am the Parts Manager at a Ford/Lincoln dealer, that sells over $14,000,000.00 per year in parts. Here is the truth about parts and parts sales...
I am the Parts Manager at a Ford/Lincoln dealer, that sells over $14,000,000.00 per year in parts. Here is the truth about parts and parts sales.

Number 1, you have to have sales history to be able to stock the correct inventory. If nobody is buying it you shouldn’t be stocking it. that being said you must log any lost sales to build adequate history. If someone asks for a part and you don’t stock it, you log a lost sale. That starts the process. You get enough hits, the part gets stocked.

2. Holding inventory is very expensive, we keep nothing longer than 12 months without a sale. We aren’t running a museum, we have to make a profit.

3. If you never come in to buy anything, we won’t stock anything other than what the service department needs. It can always be ordered, but you may not like the time frame to get it. Lots of stuff now is next day or two days so that is less of a issue.

4. If your not supporting your local parts department buy purchasing parts from them, it is no surprise they don’t stock what you may need. It is a demand driven business. There is no crystal ball to figure out what the demand for a part will be.

The parts business is all about turning products on the shelf, and taking care of your customers. It’s a very fine line between too much and not enough. Some dealers are really good at it and some just aren’t. If you find a good one use them, so they can afford to stock the stuff you need.

Sometimes it’s the whole chicken and the egg argument. Did you not sell it because you didn’t stock it or did you stock it but never sold any so you sent them back. It’s a tough business to get right and make money doing it.

The big online retailers have the advantage of lots of sales data that the little guys don’t have. They know how many bikes are out there, what the top selling part numbers are and a nation wide customer base, as opposed to a city/county wide customer base. They play on a significantly larger scale than the average local dealer. More sales history more inventory.

Accessories and clothing is a whole other issue that I know nothing about. Getting the right mix of that is a black art that I don’t fully understand, nor want to. I”ll stick to selling car parts.

Support the good guys, they need you and you need them.
Markee wrote:
Only 14 Million in Ford parts sales at one location, figured it would be double that.
Fix Or Repair Daily
skeef
Fantasy
1421st
2/20/2020 1:28pm
reded wrote:
I shop online because my nearest KTM dealer is 60mi away. It’s a half day ordeal to get there and find out they don’t have the...
I shop online because my nearest KTM dealer is 60mi away. It’s a half day ordeal to get there and find out they don’t have the part. I can order online as late as Thursday, choose FeEx delivery and still receive parts on Saturday. The Big Four dealers near me stock very few parts, aren’t knowledgeable about their products and don’t act friendly towards customers.
You wanna get yourself a phone! Then you'll be able to call your dealer to see if they have it before you go drive all that...
You wanna get yourself a phone! Then you'll be able to call your dealer to see if they have it before you go drive all that way.

O&GDriller wrote:
It’s so funny when boomers say stuff like this online. Then when your face to face it’s always the boomer that gets uncomfortable and walks away. I guarantee you wouldn’t say that to anybody’s face. Just have to find problems to make your own pathetic life seem more interesting.

I will say some kids are more socially awkward than others but you don’t know what they are going through. Mental illness is a real thing and unfortunately it’s becoming more and more prevalent. It’s not our fault smart phones were invented and we just happened to be in the limbo between technologies. We care too much about our image and it’s easy to interpret comments as negative. I’ve lost teammates, friends, and peers to mental health.
Be supportive, we are the ones that are going to be in your shoes soon.
Killer Customz
2/20/2020 2:10pm
140 hours on my bike and only rotella
Not shitting on Rotella, just used it as a non-moto reference as it would be your only option.
9mileroad$
2/20/2020 2:38pm
A few years ago I ran into the same deal with all the local shops. No clutch cable or lever. When I ordered it I ordered an extra set. If it’s a wear part I usually have it. I’ve kinda got my own parts dept at home. I pack up the extra parts I might break and take them with on a trip
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
2/20/2020 2:50pm
I feel like dealers have become the shop for the unknowing rider.
Utility 4 wheeler riders, and play bike riders, cheap gear, sticker kits, colored vent tubes, junk like that. People who want to try it on in the store because they have no idea what brands are good when they look online.
BobPA
2/20/2020 4:35pm
side-pipe wrote:

BobPA wrote:
They can....
side-pipe wrote:
None that I have been to.

Parts Unlimited will now drop ship your order....
2/20/2020 5:18pm
MudPup545 wrote:
Not just parts either. Years ago I drove 35 miles to a dealership for a specific machine, a quad for my daughter. Dealers website said it...
Not just parts either. Years ago I drove 35 miles to a dealership for a specific machine, a quad for my daughter. Dealers website said it was “in stock”. I walk in with cash in my pocket, loading ramps and tie downs in the truck. I ask for the machine, guy says, “oh, we sold that quite awhile ago.” So.....why is it on your website then?
His reply? “Nobody ever updates it”. That was almost 10 years ago and I’ve never been back.
All that could have been avoided with a 30 second phone call. Not saying the dealer wasn't in the wrong there also but it would have been very simple to do. What if you walked in there to buy it and someone else was in the process of buying it or left with it 30 minutes before you showed up, would you still blame the dealer then?
Motodave15
2/20/2020 5:42pm Edited Date/Time 2/20/2020 5:43pm
reded wrote:
Show of hands for those of you who have called ahead to see if the part is in stock and told that it was. You show...
Show of hands for those of you who have called ahead to see if the part is in stock and told that it was. You show up and the dork behind the counter says the computer shows we have one but it’s not here.

The last straw was when I ordered a shift shaft for a CR500 from my local Honda dealer. They called a week later and said that it was in. I show up the next day, the parts guy throws it on the counter and I could instantly tell that it was for a 250. I told him it wasn’t the right part, that’s for a CR250, to which he replied, “We charge a 25% re-stocking fee for special ordered parts.” You ordered the wrong part, you pay for it. I left, never went back, they went out of business a couple years later. Fuck em.
Berts mega mall to a fucking T.. that store pisses me off everytime i give it a chance
2/20/2020 5:46pm
side-pipe wrote:

They can. Parts Unlimited started drop shipping direct to customers 2-3 months ago, any dealer can do it for you. WPS does as well but there fee is a little higher I believe. I want to say it's $8 with PU. In my department if you're getting a few things or spending over $60 (which is typical with online stores) I cover the shipping and always give a discount on any special orders. That has been great for us even though were cutting into the profits a little more I'm happy to do it for people who want to shop local, and they seem to appreciate it too, especially when they have their parts the next day!! I'm really hoping our OEM's begin offering this as well as it has the potential to be a game changer. I get it...most people don't want to drive to pick up there parts when they can get them delivered to their door. A lot of times its not that they dont want to its the fact that they work or have other obligations and cant get to our shop during business ours.
MudPup545
2/20/2020 6:01pm
MudPup545 wrote:
Not just parts either. Years ago I drove 35 miles to a dealership for a specific machine, a quad for my daughter. Dealers website said it...
Not just parts either. Years ago I drove 35 miles to a dealership for a specific machine, a quad for my daughter. Dealers website said it was “in stock”. I walk in with cash in my pocket, loading ramps and tie downs in the truck. I ask for the machine, guy says, “oh, we sold that quite awhile ago.” So.....why is it on your website then?
His reply? “Nobody ever updates it”. That was almost 10 years ago and I’ve never been back.
All that could have been avoided with a 30 second phone call. Not saying the dealer wasn't in the wrong there also but it would have...
All that could have been avoided with a 30 second phone call. Not saying the dealer wasn't in the wrong there also but it would have been very simple to do. What if you walked in there to buy it and someone else was in the process of buying it or left with it 30 minutes before you showed up, would you still blame the dealer then?
It also could have been avoided in 30 seconds if they would have updated their own website after the machine was sold “quite awhile ago” as he told me. And if I had walked in while another customer was buying it would have been my loss. No excuse for the guy to tell me that “Nobody ever updates it.” The last truck I bought was pulled from the dealers website while I was still signing the papers. I know that because my wife was online at work wanting to see it and it was already gone.
2/20/2020 6:20pm
MudPup545 wrote:
It also could have been avoided in 30 seconds if they would have updated their own website after the machine was sold “quite awhile ago” as...
It also could have been avoided in 30 seconds if they would have updated their own website after the machine was sold “quite awhile ago” as he told me. And if I had walked in while another customer was buying it would have been my loss. No excuse for the guy to tell me that “Nobody ever updates it.” The last truck I bought was pulled from the dealers website while I was still signing the papers. I know that because my wife was online at work wanting to see it and it was already gone.
You're missing the point but clearly you see yourself as the victim and don't want to take any responsibility for what happened. If you called they said they had it and you went there and they didn't then ya of course you have every right to be pissed and bash that place. You're clearly trying to jump on the "I have a shitty dealer too" story band wagon but yours is a stretch and as I said not completely on the dealer when you could have made a simple phone call and all of that would have been avoided. When you bought your truck did you at any point call the dealer before you went there? Actually don't bother answering that because of course you're going to lie in an attempt to prove your point.
reded
2/20/2020 7:05pm Edited Date/Time 2/20/2020 7:09pm
MudPup545 wrote:
It also could have been avoided in 30 seconds if they would have updated their own website after the machine was sold “quite awhile ago” as...
You're missing the point but clearly you see yourself as the victim and don't want to take any responsibility for what happened. If you called they...
You're missing the point but clearly you see yourself as the victim and don't want to take any responsibility for what happened. If you called they said they had it and you went there and they didn't then ya of course you have every right to be pissed and bash that place. You're clearly trying to jump on the "I have a shitty dealer too" story band wagon but yours is a stretch and as I said not completely on the dealer when you could have made a simple phone call and all of that would have been avoided. When you bought your truck did you at any point call the dealer before you went there? Actually don't bother answering that because of course you're going to lie in an attempt to prove your point.
Nevermind
MudPup545
2/21/2020 1:58am Edited Date/Time 2/21/2020 2:35pm
You're missing the point but clearly you see yourself as the victim and don't want to take any responsibility for what happened. If you called they...
I am a lot of things but, a liar isn’t one of them.
I had no need to call the dealership where I bought my truck. I drive by the place twice almost everyday and the truck I wanted was sitting in the front row of the lot in clear view. The wife and I had been talking about getting another truck and that one caught my eye. So....on the way home from work I could see it sitting there. I pulled in and bought it. In less than two hours the truck was gone from the website.
No excuse for a powersports dealer to still show a unit in stock when in reality it had sold weeks earlier and they themselves admitted to rarely ever updating it.
And yes, I’m bashing that one dealer. There are others I’ve dealt with (and still do) that are very good at what they do and have treated me well over years.
ChrisB10
2/21/2020 5:31am
deluxeman wrote:
I am the Parts Manager at a Ford/Lincoln dealer, that sells over $14,000,000.00 per year in parts. Here is the truth about parts and parts sales...
I am the Parts Manager at a Ford/Lincoln dealer, that sells over $14,000,000.00 per year in parts. Here is the truth about parts and parts sales.

Number 1, you have to have sales history to be able to stock the correct inventory. If nobody is buying it you shouldn’t be stocking it. that being said you must log any lost sales to build adequate history. If someone asks for a part and you don’t stock it, you log a lost sale. That starts the process. You get enough hits, the part gets stocked.

2. Holding inventory is very expensive, we keep nothing longer than 12 months without a sale. We aren’t running a museum, we have to make a profit.

3. If you never come in to buy anything, we won’t stock anything other than what the service department needs. It can always be ordered, but you may not like the time frame to get it. Lots of stuff now is next day or two days so that is less of a issue.

4. If your not supporting your local parts department buy purchasing parts from them, it is no surprise they don’t stock what you may need. It is a demand driven business. There is no crystal ball to figure out what the demand for a part will be.

The parts business is all about turning products on the shelf, and taking care of your customers. It’s a very fine line between too much and not enough. Some dealers are really good at it and some just aren’t. If you find a good one use them, so they can afford to stock the stuff you need.

Sometimes it’s the whole chicken and the egg argument. Did you not sell it because you didn’t stock it or did you stock it but never sold any so you sent them back. It’s a tough business to get right and make money doing it.

The big online retailers have the advantage of lots of sales data that the little guys don’t have. They know how many bikes are out there, what the top selling part numbers are and a nation wide customer base, as opposed to a city/county wide customer base. They play on a significantly larger scale than the average local dealer. More sales history more inventory.

Accessories and clothing is a whole other issue that I know nothing about. Getting the right mix of that is a black art that I don’t fully understand, nor want to. I”ll stick to selling car parts.

Entitled and out of touch business model. Nothing but excused as to why you can't win over customers just acknowledging your service is inferior but we should still support local because they're local. How about I support my wallet not yours and order online where it's easier and cheaper
olympiamann
2/21/2020 7:03am
deluxeman wrote:

Wow that was good...👍
2/21/2020 8:23am
This is an interesting read for sure. I’m not sure how many people buy new bikes on this forum but withhout dealers we can’t buy new bikes! This conspiracy of dealer are more expensive is very rare. Almost Everything online is Under MAP POLICY(Minimum Advertised Price) so dealer for the most part are the same price if not cheaper! Dealer also have the feature now where they can drop ship. So the gentleman that needed a cable in Florida, those dealers you called could have easily dropped shipped one to you and you would have had it next day. Not sure why they didn’t offer it to you but buying from a dealer is a lot more beneficial than buying online. You have a relationship with someone who likes what you like, if you need something warrantied it’s a lot easier through a dealer than through the internet. We are moto people and I don’t know about you guys but I like meeting people that are passionate about the same stuff as me. GIVE YOUR DEALERS A SHOT, tell them I’m about to buy this online, Can you help me!! 9 out of 10 times the dealer will go above and beyond to help. It’s all about communication, if you don’t Inform your dealer what you NEED how do they know what to stock! COMMUNICATE, COMMUNICATE!!

Post a reply to: This is why I shop online...

The Latest