This is why I shop online...

mxb2
2/19/2020 2:24pm
JustMX wrote:
So, You have a cable but didn't take it with you to an area that you are not familiar with as far as parts availability, and...
So,

You have a cable but didn't take it with you to an area that you are not familiar with as far as parts availability, and you say that you have never needed it before, and then feel like you need to come on here and bitch that a dealer doesn't keep one in stock in case somebody needs one and can't wait.

Ok, makes sense
early wrote:
This. For $100 or $200 you can be your own parts guy. When you buy a new bike go ahead and order a set of levers...
This. For $100 or $200 you can be your own parts guy. When you buy a new bike go ahead and order a set of levers, cables, spark plugs, brake pads, tubes, and a spec bolt kit then you don't have to worry about dealers. The extra money is easily made up in time, gas, and frustration.
Tonynz wrote:
I’m like that , have raced KTM’s for ever, so I most always have spare parts with me, trouble with that is everyone else knows I...
I’m like that , have raced KTM’s for ever, so I most always have spare parts with me, trouble with that is everyone else knows I have spare parts as well. Always lending out parts at the track. 🤣
Sell them, make a few bucks. Not your fault you are prepared.
BobPA
2/19/2020 2:48pm
MOTO1313 wrote:
A $15 part that sells once or twice a month at 30-40 points is a no brainer. That's called stocked inventory to any decent businessman.
And what are these magic pieces of inventory you speak of? You strike me as someone who does not quite understand the margins that dealerships operate under. Dealers make jack on that $9k bike you buy...it would really open your eyes if you could see the numbers.
Hudd_421
2/19/2020 3:01pm
MOTO1313 wrote:
A $15 part that sells once or twice a month at 30-40 points is a no brainer. That's called stocked inventory to any decent businessman.
BobPA wrote:
And what are these magic pieces of inventory you speak of? You strike me as someone who does not quite understand the margins that dealerships operate...
And what are these magic pieces of inventory you speak of? You strike me as someone who does not quite understand the margins that dealerships operate under. Dealers make jack on that $9k bike you buy...it would really open your eyes if you could see the numbers.
Margins on bikes, tires, parts and apparel are all different. 30 to 40% margins on a part or piece of gear is totally normal.
MOTO1313
2/19/2020 3:07pm
MOTO1313 wrote:
Here's the bottom line. If a dealership isn't going to stock the absolute bare necessities to support your $9,000 purchase, a purchase of a bike that...
Here's the bottom line. If a dealership isn't going to stock the absolute bare necessities to support your $9,000 purchase, a purchase of a bike that quite honestly is known to crash and break. They KNOW certain parts will absolutely break and wear out and they won't stock these parts...then fuck them. Buy online. When a dealer has to order a brake lever, a clutch cable or chain, it's time to close the doors or stop pretending they support MX.
mxtech1 wrote:
I don’t agree with that at all. Motorcycle dealerships these days are running on razor thin profit margins and doing everything they can to stay open...
I don’t agree with that at all.

Motorcycle dealerships these days are running on razor thin profit margins and doing everything they can to stay open. Carrying tens of thousands of dollars worth of spare part inventory, just to support their product lines, is crippling for most shops.

The burden of carrying spare parts is on the owner and/or the mega-online retailers these day, NOT the local dealership.

There’s nothing stopping you from organizing a list of common wear parts, taking that list down to your local dealership to order, and then carrying those spares and maintaining the replacement inventory over the life of bike ownership.
You must be fucking joking. If you have been in the bike industry very long and don't know what parts break and which ones don't...you are a friggin idiot. Now we are supposed to do the dealers job and stock our own parts? Then we sure as hell don't even need dealerships. Just order your bike directly from Honda or Kawi at retail price and have it shipped to your door. Most dealerships charge retail on bikes and then don't want to stock parts? And people wonder why dealerships are going under.

The Shop

mxtech1
2/19/2020 3:11pm
MOTO1313 wrote:
You must be fucking joking. If you have been in the bike industry very long and don't know what parts break and which ones don't...you are...
You must be fucking joking. If you have been in the bike industry very long and don't know what parts break and which ones don't...you are a friggin idiot. Now we are supposed to do the dealers job and stock our own parts? Then we sure as hell don't even need dealerships. Just order your bike directly from Honda or Kawi at retail price and have it shipped to your door. Most dealerships charge retail on bikes and then don't want to stock parts? And people wonder why dealerships are going under.
STFU newbie
MOTO1313
2/19/2020 3:18pm
MOTO1313 wrote:
You must be fucking joking. If you have been in the bike industry very long and don't know what parts break and which ones don't...you are...
mxtech1 wrote:
STFU newbie
Lol...that's funny.
BobPA
2/19/2020 3:25pm
Hudd_421 wrote:
Margins on bikes, tires, parts and apparel are all different. 30 to 40% margins on a part or piece of gear is totally normal.
I am well aware my friend....I live it every day.

MX guys never pay retail on parts or apparel...which is fine. I beat internet pricing when I can, if not I am fine with people buying stuff online. Money is tight, hell I even buy some stuff online...

Unit margins are laughable.....at best. Moto bros are some of the cheapest people I've ever met haha. The SxS crowd is much easier to deal with.
deluxeman
2/19/2020 3:49pm
MOTO1313 wrote:
Ok, I'll bite. If you tip over and break off your clutch lever and perch, do you always buy the OEM stock lever and perch?
When you need brake pads or clutch plates do you always by OEM pads and plates?
When you bend your bars do you always go and buy the OEM bars, grips, throttle tube.......?

Probably not, most guys want to customize their bike to suit their needs or just want cool shit on their bikes. It's normal to NOT want to keep it stock. Every man loves trick parts on their bikes.

So sure, they know what might break, what they can't know is what you are going to buy to fix it, OEM or aftermarket?

Ever ride a snowmobile from the 70's? You better have 4 plugs, a belt, headlamp and tail lamp bulbs, a hand full of fuses, electrical tape a good tool kit, and a tow rope on you at all times. It is not a crime to stock some maintenance parts for your bike that YOU know you are going to need. Plugs,filters, brake pads, levers, throttle and clutch cable, whatever. That way you will never wait for your dealer or mega store to ship you parts.

The OEM's are already looking at doing direct to consumer sales. The issues are many. Many states have or are working on laws trying outlaw direct to consumer vehicle sales. The dealer groups will fight to the death to protect their business, and rightfully so. The OEM's aren't going to pass along the savings to the consumer if they go direct, they will just put your local guy out of business and take all the profits. The other issues will be parts and service availability. There are many good dealerships out there, they work hard to earn your business and have invested millions of dollars to be in the adult toy business. They are not all poorly run shops. Although some are and deserve to close.

As I have stated before we need good dealers and good dealers need us. We are all in this together, if your dealer sucks, make them aware of your concerns and let them attempt to fix them. If they don't, move along, life is too short to be pissed off about something you do for enjoyment.

VetMX.com
2/19/2020 4:11pm
Dealers order it on line so maybe just cut out the middleman.

T. Never have taken a bike to a dealership
Chance1216
2/19/2020 4:39pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2020 6:07pm
When the only dealership is twenty five miles away, Pro Honda HP2 pre mix is $13 and I can get it delivered to my door for $7 I think the choice is pretty obvious. I stock up on OEM parts. Bearings, cables, hardware, pads, etc. Dealerships charge retail in just about every circumstance. Places like Rocky Mountain and Motosport are not only convenient but also ship just about anything you need cause it’s in stock and way cheaper. I did my best supporting a local dealership. They would do price matching. Gear, oils etc. I will say it was nice getting out of the house on a Saturday morning with my son and getting the things we needed. Unfortunately that placed closed. The next dealership raised their prices. I’m not a cheap ass by any means, however if I can order more parts online verses buying less parts for the same amount, I think I’m doing myself a total disservice not getting the most bang for my buck. I work construction and work damn hard for my money.
SPYGUY
Fantasy
725th
2/19/2020 5:28pm
MOTO1313 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
And what are these magic pieces of inventory you speak of? You strike me as someone who does not quite understand the margins that dealerships operate...
Are you the business owner?
davbrucas
2/19/2020 5:55pm
Down in Florida for a moto vacation and I break a clutch cable. Yes I should’ve brought my Extra clutch cable with me but it didn’t...
Down in Florida for a moto vacation and I break a clutch cable. Yes I should’ve brought my Extra clutch cable with me but it didn’t cross my mind since I’ve never snapped one. Anyways long story short I called over 10 dealers and not one of them carried a clutch cable for a 2019 CRF450r....yet they complain we need to support our local dealers. Luckily I’m borrowing a buddies bike so my trip is saved but come on dealers...
Couldn't find someone with a hydraulic clutch in stock? Expensive but worth it in your situation.
BobPA
2/19/2020 6:19pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2020 6:20pm
MOTO1313 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
SPYGUY wrote:
Are you the business owner?
I am not. But, I am a very close with the family that owns the business, and have been involved since day 1 (damn, will be 8 years in April). I see, and am involved in, what you see "behind closed doors" of a dealership. We are not big by any means, but we strive to make people happy and we keep our heads above water....
reded
2/19/2020 6:31pm
reded wrote:
I shop online because my nearest KTM dealer is 60mi away. It’s a half day ordeal to get there and find out they don’t have the...
I shop online because my nearest KTM dealer is 60mi away. It’s a half day ordeal to get there and find out they don’t have the part. I can order online as late as Thursday, choose FeEx delivery and still receive parts on Saturday. The Big Four dealers near me stock very few parts, aren’t knowledgeable about their products and don’t act friendly towards customers.
You wanna get yourself a phone! Then you'll be able to call your dealer to see if they have it before you go drive all that...
You wanna get yourself a phone! Then you'll be able to call your dealer to see if they have it before you go drive all that way.

Show of hands for those of you who have called ahead to see if the part is in stock and told that it was. You show up and the dork behind the counter says the computer shows we have one but it’s not here.

The last straw was when I ordered a shift shaft for a CR500 from my local Honda dealer. They called a week later and said that it was in. I show up the next day, the parts guy throws it on the counter and I could instantly tell that it was for a 250. I told him it wasn’t the right part, that’s for a CR250, to which he replied, “We charge a 25% re-stocking fee for special ordered parts.” You ordered the wrong part, you pay for it. I left, never went back, they went out of business a couple years later. Fuck em.
BigBoreFan58
2/19/2020 6:47pm
I get the feeling the dealers think it's our fault they are failing. We should just suck it up and tolerate their incompetence and continue to support their failing business models. Pay a higher price and tolerate the inconvenience to allow them to keep their doors open. After-all, they can't compete with the internet, they're just innocent victims.

I wonder if these same dealers want to subsidize my riding budget to compensate for my lost wages when my job was outsourced to India?
bama205
2/19/2020 7:13pm
reded wrote:
I shop online because my nearest KTM dealer is 60mi away. It’s a half day ordeal to get there and find out they don’t have the...
I shop online because my nearest KTM dealer is 60mi away. It’s a half day ordeal to get there and find out they don’t have the part. I can order online as late as Thursday, choose FeEx delivery and still receive parts on Saturday. The Big Four dealers near me stock very few parts, aren’t knowledgeable about their products and don’t act friendly towards customers.
You wanna get yourself a phone! Then you'll be able to call your dealer to see if they have it before you go drive all that...
You wanna get yourself a phone! Then you'll be able to call your dealer to see if they have it before you go drive all that way.

O&GDriller wrote:
Most millennial's don't realize those things surgically attached to their hands/body that I call a "phone" are capable of making a "phone call". Hell, they don't...
Most millennial's don't realize those things surgically attached to their hands/body that I call a "phone" are capable of making a "phone call". Hell, they don't even know what a "phone call" is. You ever see a millennial try to have a conversation with somebody they don't know such as a cashier or a waiter. They don't even know how to have a conversation.
What are you talking about. I’m 31 and perfectly capable of having a conversation with a cashier.
hanzhongluboy
2/19/2020 7:17pm
Bro. You live in Temecula. That's not surprising. It's also not surprising when someone who lives in Abilene, TX can't get one at their local dealer...
Bro. You live in Temecula. That's not surprising. It's also not surprising when someone who lives in Abilene, TX can't get one at their local dealer because they're more worried about stocking side by sides and their parts. I live in a giant metroplex and this is an issue with numerous shops at my disposal. They follow the money like any good business should. There's no money in stocking $15 parts that sell once or twice a month.
Still dont understand the SxS phenomenon in West Texas
agn5009
2/19/2020 7:23pm
Moral of the story: if you're fortunate enough to have a good dealer nearby, try to buy from them.

If you're like a lot of us who dont then buy online. We have great online stores such as Rocky Mountain, BTO, Motosport, AOMC etc who have fantastic customer service and even better employees. Oh, and they support our tiny sport significantly.
KDXGarage
2/20/2020 2:07am
from deluxeman: "Number 1, you have to have sales history to be able to stock the correct inventory. If nobody is buying it you shouldn’t be stocking it. that being said you must log any lost sales to build adequate history. If someone asks for a part and you don’t stock it, you log a lost sale. That starts the process. You get enough hits, the part gets stocked."

That sounds like a great idea. I seriously doubt many motorcycle dealers have a system to log missed sales besides "no, we ain't go it" then the youngster goes back to checking his phone.
2/20/2020 3:14am
agn5009 wrote:
Moral of the story: if you're fortunate enough to have a good dealer nearby, try to buy from them. If you're like a lot of us...
Moral of the story: if you're fortunate enough to have a good dealer nearby, try to buy from them.

If you're like a lot of us who dont then buy online. We have great online stores such as Rocky Mountain, BTO, Motosport, AOMC etc who have fantastic customer service and even better employees. Oh, and they support our tiny sport significantly.
Spot-on
MotoMan12345
Fantasy
1924th
2/20/2020 3:33am
Down in Florida for a moto vacation and I break a clutch cable. Yes I should’ve brought my Extra clutch cable with me but it didn’t...
Down in Florida for a moto vacation and I break a clutch cable. Yes I should’ve brought my Extra clutch cable with me but it didn’t cross my mind since I’ve never snapped one. Anyways long story short I called over 10 dealers and not one of them carried a clutch cable for a 2019 CRF450r....yet they complain we need to support our local dealers. Luckily I’m borrowing a buddies bike so my trip is saved but come on dealers...
davbrucas wrote:
Couldn't find someone with a hydraulic clutch in stock? Expensive but worth it in your situation.
I was actually thinking about that since I was going to maybe convert down the road but I actually had a buddy down here with a ktm so I’m just riding that until I leave. Got lucky
yamahaha131
2/20/2020 3:45am
49weasel wrote:
Here’s my 2 cents. I was a parts manager for a few different dealers in Ohio over a 15 year period and I am currently an...
Here’s my 2 cents. I was a parts manager for a few different dealers in Ohio over a 15 year period and I am currently an inside sales/parts manager at a distributor. We deal with dealers, so I see both sides of not stocking stuff. We do about $25 million in parts and another $40 million in equipment. We have a 97%-98% fill rate on parts for most major lines and low 90’s on minor lines.
On our side of things small to mid-size dealers do not like to stock parts because of our level of service. Most of our territory if orders are in by 4:30pm they will have it next day.

Dealers need to remember:
• It’s hard to get a sales history if you don’t stock stuff
• Every manufacture produces a suggested fast mover list for dealers to stock
• All oems do an annual or quarterly return so you can circulate fresh inventory. Most do not charge a restock if
you’re in good standings.

My son wrecked on his PW and broke a brake lever, so I swung by Iron Pony(mega dealer) on the way home. I asked for a rear brake lever for his PW and the guy argues that motorcycles don’t have rear brake levers. After a few minutes of this dumbass looking for a foot brake pedal I looked up the part number on my phone and gave it to him. Of course they didn’t have it. There’s no way they don’t have enough sales history not to justify stocking a part that has been unchanged for 30+ years.

This just happened Saturday. I never ever buy tires local but I decided I would over pay for a set at a local dealer. I called to confirm they had a front and rear 10” tires , guy on the phone said yes. I drove down there and lo and behold they only had the front. So I wasted 2hrs of my Saturday for something I was willing to over pay $25 for.

I’ve kind of gave up on buying local other than bikes. Dealers don’t stock anything and very rarely employee knowledgeable people.

Stock the basic shit and people will order the odd ball shit.
I’m in central OH. Pony is great for a lot of things but I ran into this problem there also for my Yamaha. I figured having the dealership in house they would have what I needed (can’t remember now what it was) but I gave up again and ordered online.
MudPup545
2/20/2020 3:46am
reded wrote:
Show of hands for those of you who have called ahead to see if the part is in stock and told that it was. You show...
Show of hands for those of you who have called ahead to see if the part is in stock and told that it was. You show up and the dork behind the counter says the computer shows we have one but it’s not here.

The last straw was when I ordered a shift shaft for a CR500 from my local Honda dealer. They called a week later and said that it was in. I show up the next day, the parts guy throws it on the counter and I could instantly tell that it was for a 250. I told him it wasn’t the right part, that’s for a CR250, to which he replied, “We charge a 25% re-stocking fee for special ordered parts.” You ordered the wrong part, you pay for it. I left, never went back, they went out of business a couple years later. Fuck em.
Not just parts either. Years ago I drove 35 miles to a dealership for a specific machine, a quad for my daughter. Dealers website said it was “in stock”. I walk in with cash in my pocket, loading ramps and tie downs in the truck. I ask for the machine, guy says, “oh, we sold that quite awhile ago.” So.....why is it on your website then?
His reply? “Nobody ever updates it”. That was almost 10 years ago and I’ve never been back.
Jmicmoto13
2/20/2020 3:49am
deluxeman wrote:
I am the Parts Manager at a Ford/Lincoln dealer, that sells over $14,000,000.00 per year in parts. Here is the truth about parts and parts sales...
I am the Parts Manager at a Ford/Lincoln dealer, that sells over $14,000,000.00 per year in parts. Here is the truth about parts and parts sales.

Number 1, you have to have sales history to be able to stock the correct inventory. If nobody is buying it you shouldn’t be stocking it. that being said you must log any lost sales to build adequate history. If someone asks for a part and you don’t stock it, you log a lost sale. That starts the process. You get enough hits, the part gets stocked.

2. Holding inventory is very expensive, we keep nothing longer than 12 months without a sale. We aren’t running a museum, we have to make a profit.

3. If you never come in to buy anything, we won’t stock anything other than what the service department needs. It can always be ordered, but you may not like the time frame to get it. Lots of stuff now is next day or two days so that is less of a issue.

4. If your not supporting your local parts department buy purchasing parts from them, it is no surprise they don’t stock what you may need. It is a demand driven business. There is no crystal ball to figure out what the demand for a part will be.

The parts business is all about turning products on the shelf, and taking care of your customers. It’s a very fine line between too much and not enough. Some dealers are really good at it and some just aren’t. If you find a good one use them, so they can afford to stock the stuff you need.

Sometimes it’s the whole chicken and the egg argument. Did you not sell it because you didn’t stock it or did you stock it but never sold any so you sent them back. It’s a tough business to get right and make money doing it.

The big online retailers have the advantage of lots of sales data that the little guys don’t have. They know how many bikes are out there, what the top selling part numbers are and a nation wide customer base, as opposed to a city/county wide customer base. They play on a significantly larger scale than the average local dealer. More sales history more inventory.

Accessories and clothing is a whole other issue that I know nothing about. Getting the right mix of that is a black art that I don’t fully understand, nor want to. I”ll stick to selling car parts.

Support the good guys, they need you and you need them.
I work for Toyo, wanna talk tires and ATW offline? Lol Can never fully take my work hat off.
ge217
2/20/2020 6:13am
You know if you would have just ordered one from anyone of this 10 shops you could have had it today? If tucker had it in stock in the Jacksonville warehouse the shop would of had it today, everything shipping wise in FL is next standard shipping with UPS. Same goes for WPS, they just got their Georgia warehouse running. If was ordered from WPS the shop would have also received the cable the next day if ordered before cut off time...
brlatm
2/20/2020 6:32am
Still dont understand the SxS phenomenon in West Texas
So they can go on the hillbilly looking course right between Big Springs and Stanton. I'm surprised as small as that is that no one is seriously injured out there.
Ryguy125
2/20/2020 7:46am
Im spoiled rotten then compared to you guys. My KTM dealer hangs up the phone when people walk into his store. Always a knowledgeable guy, always helps me out. Went in for some suspension stuff the other day, he doesnt have it, but can get it tomorrow. Says if you bring the forks and shock in ill put the stuff on for free. He changed my fork springs and serviced my stuff for damn near nothing and chatted with me the whole time. If i can avoid RMATVMC i do, just cause this guy rides and races with us on the weekend. Usually give the local guys a call for trailrides too. I feel for you guys who dont have a half decent dealer near you
side-pipe
Fantasy
3300th
2/20/2020 7:55am

Heck last time I went to the mall looking for something the store didnt have my size. They offered to order and have it delivered to my house. If i can get clothes delivered to me from a face to face transaction why the hell cant bike shops do the same.

Madmax31
Fantasy
91st
2/20/2020 8:31am
You can bust dealer balls all you want. Until there is a turn around and people start buying local again then you're not going to have competent employees or an inventory of parts. They are staying lean to try and survive.

They'll stock the stuff that tends to sell goggles, helmets, oil, etc but that's about it.
Tuna
2/20/2020 9:04am
Madmax31 wrote:
You can bust dealer balls all you want. Until there is a turn around and people start buying local again then you're not going to have...
You can bust dealer balls all you want. Until there is a turn around and people start buying local again then you're not going to have competent employees or an inventory of parts. They are staying lean to try and survive.

They'll stock the stuff that tends to sell goggles, helmets, oil, etc but that's about it.
No problem, I will buy online. I owe my local dealer nothing.

Post a reply to: This is why I shop online...

The Latest