This is the reason why we are here, regular riding day in Sweden...

DrSweden
10/6/2012 11:15am Edited Date/Time 10/9/2012 4:22am
Ok, just want to share a regular riding day for me in Sweden. It's just for you living elsewhere to get a picture how your hobby might look like if you lived elsewhere. Picture are crap, from my iphon while driving and the attached vid is to get a more accurate picture of the track conditions Oktober in Scandinavia. This time of the year, we have rain 3 times a week, so hard pack is nowhere to be seen.

Dunno why this pic became this crappy, but the regular car in Sweden is smaller than in the US, but everything fits...

The carrier gets mounted, obviously the right glove for the task.

The hockey bag is now used for more important items.

Bike mounted, starting to get a bit outdated, but only 25 hours on the meter, and I don't deserve better (see vid) Smile

250 lbs on the rear, bike carrier, tools etc. Car actually performs pretty decent considering.

The ATM, this old guy (older than me LOL) took his time, it cost about $18 to practice in Sweden.

Rear view...

About 20 miles to the track (there are ones closer to central Stockholm, pretty damn awesome)

City hall...

Part of old town in Stockholm, some buildings are from the 13 century.

Not from the 13 century, I'm guessing eighteenth or something. Crap pic...

Globen "The globe", just outside town, used to be the biggest global building in the world, maybe still is?

This Husky 310 passed me on the highway. Pretty evident the bike is not build for speeding, it was floating all over the road while doing like 60...

Swedish forrest, different climate, different fauna, always when I travel around the world I get amazed how each latitude creates a total different vegetation.

The track entrence, Nya Uringe "New Uringe" Dunno what the name stands for other than its a a place.

For the people in Mass, this entrance really resemble the Middleborough/Cape way Rovers entrence

Cape way copy!

Looks like the US, two classic American pic-ups, usually the pit is filled with VW Caddies, and Mercedes box vans.

Track.
https://youtu.be/mcJMPITPD88
Some laps (Herlings, pfft).

Post practice, we all know the feeling. You feel beat, kind of satisfied, but you know there's some stuff that needs to be done.

There you go, thank God for those gas stations that have these washing facilities. One hour costs about $18.

Back with the family and a cold IPA. Love it.

Take care, don't forget what's all about.
|
10/6/2012 11:21am
Awesome...looks like you have to really stay on the gas through that stuff.
uk125250
10/6/2012 11:23am
That is one of the coolest posts I've seen on here.
jamma10
10/6/2012 11:26am
uk125250 wrote:
x2 cool post Doc!
neverwas
Fantasy
868th
10/6/2012 11:28am
No matter where you are in the world us moto guys all can relate to your reason why.
Looks like a nice way to spend the day.

The Shop

DrSweden
10/6/2012 11:29am
uk125250 wrote:
jamma10 wrote:
x2 cool post Doc!
So glad you feel so! Worth the trouble for sure.
HenryA
10/6/2012 11:29am
I feel you bro!
NeWskoolmxer
10/6/2012 11:31am
Amen to that being what it's about! Really cool post.
burnside
10/6/2012 11:33am
uk125250 wrote:
jamma10 wrote:
x2 cool post Doc!
x 3...

Thought you were living Stateside DrSweden?
DrSweden
10/6/2012 11:37am
Awesome...looks like you have to really stay on the gas through that stuff.
Yes, the vid doesn't do it justice (does it ever), looks rather smooth compared to Lommel lol, but those ruts where all over, and about 5 inches deep. Good thing though it was a bit mushy, so it was possible to ignore them, but ofcourse I had to be on the gas constantly, my female looking arms were beat after 4 laps.
DrSweden
10/6/2012 11:38am
uk125250 wrote:
jamma10 wrote:
x2 cool post Doc!
burnside wrote:
x 3...

Thought you were living Stateside DrSweden?
I did, but moved back to Sweden last year.
g0rd057
10/6/2012 11:42am
Looks like a very fun day. That track is is nice and wide, lots of passing room.
You know what they say... "A bad day riding is better than a good day at work..." Wink
Gaaaz
10/6/2012 11:43am Edited Date/Time 10/6/2012 11:55am
The world is litttle... I've read vitalmx for a long time now without posting I didn't know you rode in Uringe....
Very cool post, I was there today with my boys, awesome day to ride in Uringe.
Tomorow it's my turn, bike is ready to go, can't wait!!
Very good ride by the way, the video is flatting out the ruts, there are big....

Time for your dotter to ride!

Glory
10/6/2012 11:47am Edited Date/Time 10/6/2012 11:48am
Great post!

Oh Uringe, haven't been there since I was 12 (2006) and raced 85cc evan though I live so close, gotta go there someday soon again!

Guss I doing most of my riding in Arlanda or Upplands Väsby. Haven't riding on Upplands Väsby this year so dunno how the new track is, but loved the old one. They took away my fav part of the track Sad Been there?
Gaaaz
10/6/2012 11:51am
Glory wrote:
Great post! Oh Uringe, haven't been there since I was 12 (2006) and raced 85cc evan though I live so close, gotta go there someday soon...
Great post!

Oh Uringe, haven't been there since I was 12 (2006) and raced 85cc evan though I live so close, gotta go there someday soon again!

Guss I doing most of my riding in Arlanda or Upplands Väsby. Haven't riding on Upplands Väsby this year so dunno how the new track is, but loved the old one. They took away my fav part of the track Sad Been there?
I've been there and I liked the old track more, now it's more supercross and very less motocross....They took away the track part by the pits witch I think was the nicest part....
10/6/2012 12:06pm
is it $18 for an hour of riding? or is it $18 just to wash the bike?
Gaaaz
10/6/2012 12:09pm
Aquafresh wrote:
To wash the bike...The riding is 18$ for the day...
Tyrell
10/6/2012 12:11pm Edited Date/Time 10/6/2012 12:13pm
Glory wrote:
Great post! Oh Uringe, haven't been there since I was 12 (2006) and raced 85cc evan though I live so close, gotta go there someday soon...
Great post!

Gaaaz wrote:
I've been there and I liked the old track more, now it's more supercross and very less motocross....They took away the track part by the pits...
I've been there and I liked the old track more, now it's more supercross and very less motocross....They took away the track part by the pits witch I think was the nicest part....
What a great thread!

Can I ask you a question though regarding your seat at the end of the day.....

Is Kenny Watson your mechanic?

(Sorry just my little joke for all the www.pulpmx.com fans on here)
DrSweden
10/6/2012 12:31pm
Gaaaz wrote:
The world is litttle... I've read vitalmx for a long time now without posting I didn't know you rode in Uringe.... Very cool post, I was...
The world is litttle... I've read vitalmx for a long time now without posting I didn't know you rode in Uringe....
Very cool post, I was there today with my boys, awesome day to ride in Uringe.
Tomorow it's my turn, bike is ready to go, can't wait!!
Very good ride by the way, the video is flatting out the ruts, there are big....

Time for your dotter to ride!

Ha, crazy!!! Well I know you will have a blast tomorrow, and watch out for those ruts! Wink
Sandberm
10/6/2012 12:43pm
Come on...admit it, you washed the bike while it was still strapped to the car didnt you?Tongue
watson
10/6/2012 1:15pm
Looks like a fun track! I've always been curious how it is for Euros to get out and ride. Turns out it's about the same as the US of A. At least in Sweden :p

Got a few questions though: What months out of the year can people ride, and do track owners have an extremely difficult time keeping tracks open because of the close proximity of everything in Sweden?
DrSweden
10/6/2012 1:21pm
Sandberm wrote:
Come on...admit it, you washed the bike while it was still strapped to the car didnt you?Tongue
Of course! Works pretty good!!!Grinning
mxRob
10/6/2012 1:34pm Edited Date/Time 10/6/2012 1:34pm
watson wrote:
Looks like a fun track! I've always been curious how it is for Euros to get out and ride. Turns out it's about the same as...
Looks like a fun track! I've always been curious how it is for Euros to get out and ride. Turns out it's about the same as the US of A. At least in Sweden :p

Got a few questions though: What months out of the year can people ride, and do track owners have an extremely difficult time keeping tracks open because of the close proximity of everything in Sweden?
We ride all year around Laughing Altough hardpacked tracks close for a while during late autumn to let them freeze so we can ride once it's below 20 Wink
10/6/2012 1:40pm
Thank you so much, great job.
DrSweden
10/6/2012 1:41pm Edited Date/Time 10/6/2012 1:43pm
watson wrote:
Looks like a fun track! I've always been curious how it is for Euros to get out and ride. Turns out it's about the same as...

Yes it is. After one ride in the US I felt at home, only major difference is the waivers, there's no such thing here, since there's no point. Sweden is a pretty long country, about 1000 miles, which means the south might be free of snow all year while the north could get snow early November that stays until May, which means only 4 mos snow free. Stockholm, is about 350 miles North of the the most Southern point, so we are probably getting snow about December to April. Those figures varies a lot. Stockholm is located about the same as the Hudson Bay in Canada, the country as a whole fit within Canada boarders. So basically similar weather, but I think the Gulf Stream favors us better than the Canucks.

So far people have a high tolerance towards riding, a former GP track was closed for a couple of years, now its open again with some restrictions. It's actually situated just 10 miles of the center core of Stockholm, and close to a huge suburb, like 0.5 mile. But the reason for closing was not complaining neighbors, it was because the track was in a natural reserve thing, which it has been for 50 years, even before the area became a reserve. Some people obviously don't dig the concept, and fight it based on emotions, or they are among a few complainers that live near by (they bought their damn property after the track was situated).

But the general attitude is that it's old movement for youth, we dig that kids do this rather than do destructive things, and it's considered a family sport. Our history with many past champions, and MXDN wins makes Motocross partly tied to some identity, that looks more pale the further into future, since people are abandoning the sport in favor for other things (both constructive and destructive). Speedway is the shit right now in Sweden.
MBR
10/6/2012 1:49pm
Barkarby?
Hando
10/6/2012 2:23pm
Aquafresh wrote:
Gaaaz wrote:
To wash the bike...The riding is 18$ for the day...
Thats USD or whatever currency you guys use?

I have some mates in the UK and from what I gather you need to be doing quite well to afford to ride moto..even more so for the guys who hit the road courses....guessing its not like this in Sweden?

P.S what happened to the seat??
cider racer
10/6/2012 2:32pm
DrSweden wrote:
Ok, just want to share a regular riding day for me in Sweden. It's just for you living elsewhere to get a picture how your hobby...
Ok, just want to share a regular riding day for me in Sweden. It's just for you living elsewhere to get a picture how your hobby might look like if you lived elsewhere. Picture are crap, from my iphon while driving and the attached vid is to get a more accurate picture of the track conditions Oktober in Scandinavia. This time of the year, we have rain 3 times a week, so hard pack is nowhere to be seen.

Dunno why this pic became this crappy, but the regular car in Sweden is smaller than in the US, but everything fits...

The carrier gets mounted, obviously the right glove for the task.

The hockey bag is now used for more important items.

Bike mounted, starting to get a bit outdated, but only 25 hours on the meter, and I don't deserve better (see vid) Smile

250 lbs on the rear, bike carrier, tools etc. Car actually performs pretty decent considering.

The ATM, this old guy (older than me LOL) took his time, it cost about $18 to practice in Sweden.

Rear view...

About 20 miles to the track (there are ones closer to central Stockholm, pretty damn awesome)

City hall...

Part of old town in Stockholm, some buildings are from the 13 century.

Not from the 13 century, I'm guessing eighteenth or something. Crap pic...

Globen "The globe", just outside town, used to be the biggest global building in the world, maybe still is?

This Husky 310 passed me on the highway. Pretty evident the bike is not build for speeding, it was floating all over the road while doing like 60...

Swedish forrest, different climate, different fauna, always when I travel around the world I get amazed how each latitude creates a total different vegetation.

The track entrence, Nya Uringe "New Uringe" Dunno what the name stands for other than its a a place.

For the people in Mass, this entrance really resemble the Middleborough/Cape way Rovers entrence

Cape way copy!

Looks like the US, two classic American pic-ups, usually the pit is filled with VW Caddies, and Mercedes box vans.

Track.
https://youtu.be/mcJMPITPD88
Some laps (Herlings, pfft).

Post practice, we all know the feeling. You feel beat, kind of satisfied, but you know there's some stuff that needs to be done.

There you go, thank God for those gas stations that have these washing facilities. One hour costs about $18.

Back with the family and a cold IPA. Love it.

Take care, don't forget what's all about.
I did the Tjurruset ( 10k running race through woods, rivers, etc like an endruo on foot ) a few years ago and the that track was part of the course! I would of sooner done it on bike thou!
watson
10/6/2012 3:07pm
DrSweden wrote:
Yes it is. After one ride in the US I felt at home, only major difference is the waivers, there's no such thing here, since there's...
Yes it is. After one ride in the US I felt at home, only major difference is the waivers, there's no such thing here, since there's no point. Sweden is a pretty long country, about 1000 miles, which means the south might be free of snow all year while the north could get snow early November that stays until May, which means only 4 mos snow free. Stockholm, is about 350 miles North of the the most Southern point, so we are probably getting snow about December to April. Those figures varies a lot. Stockholm is located about the same as the Hudson Bay in Canada, the country as a whole fit within Canada boarders. So basically similar weather, but I think the Gulf Stream favors us better than the Canucks.

So far people have a high tolerance towards riding, a former GP track was closed for a couple of years, now its open again with some restrictions. It's actually situated just 10 miles of the center core of Stockholm, and close to a huge suburb, like 0.5 mile. But the reason for closing was not complaining neighbors, it was because the track was in a natural reserve thing, which it has been for 50 years, even before the area became a reserve. Some people obviously don't dig the concept, and fight it based on emotions, or they are among a few complainers that live near by (they bought their damn property after the track was situated).

But the general attitude is that it's old movement for youth, we dig that kids do this rather than do destructive things, and it's considered a family sport. Our history with many past champions, and MXDN wins makes Motocross partly tied to some identity, that looks more pale the further into future, since people are abandoning the sport in favor for other things (both constructive and destructive). Speedway is the shit right now in Sweden.
My American upbringing has led me to believe Sweden is under snow for all but one month of the year Tongue Why exactly are there no waivers up there? That blows my mind, yet sounds so awesome at the time seeing as how people sue for sneezing in their direction here.

I imagine that a family sport that keeps kids out of trouble is quite appealing/ accepted considering Sweden's low birth rate troubles. And Sweden has sure turned out some awesome riders. I know I'm rooting for the ones who regular the American Nationals.
Glory
10/6/2012 3:18pm
DrSweden wrote:
Yes it is. After one ride in the US I felt at home, only major difference is the waivers, there's no such thing here, since there's...

watson wrote:
My American upbringing has led me to believe Sweden is under snow for all but one month of the year :P Why exactly are there no...
My American upbringing has led me to believe Sweden is under snow for all but one month of the year Tongue Why exactly are there no waivers up there? That blows my mind, yet sounds so awesome at the time seeing as how people sue for sneezing in their direction here.

I imagine that a family sport that keeps kids out of trouble is quite appealing/ accepted considering Sweden's low birth rate troubles. And Sweden has sure turned out some awesome riders. I know I'm rooting for the ones who regular the American Nationals.
If you ever come to Sweden you better watch out for those polar bears! Laughing

Post a reply to: This is the reason why we are here, regular riding day in Sweden...

The Latest