Thinnest Feeling 2 Stroke?

mx617
Kind of an odd question, but here goes:

So after a few hip and knee injuries I find it hard to open my legs. To the point I can't even sit on a quad (at the farm, just to be clear) without going sidesaddle.

I noticed at the track the other day that it's really hindering me getting over the front in corners as the bike is too wide for me to slide up. I currently have a 2015 Husky TC250 which is my track bike. I also have my old bike, 2006 YZ250 which I've been doing up as an off road runner. I don't have as much trouble on the YZ, as it seems the rad shrouds are much thinner.

So my question is, who makes the thinnest 250 2T now? If anyone has tried them, I'm open to weird stuff like TM to.

Thanks!
|
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
8/1/2017 5:05am
I have never measured actual size but my buddies rm250 feels tiny small compared to my 07 cr 250.
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
8/1/2017 7:23am
RM250 is very narrow. Have you looked into 125s or 144s?

The Shop

Swann
8/1/2017 7:23am
I'm very tall, so this is actually something I struggle with as well. Sounds to me like the problem isn't so much the width of the bike but the width/shape of the shrouds. My Beta 450 has relatively small and narrow shrouds as compared to say a Yamaha. Seems like this is something you'll have to feel out to make the right determination. There a bike shop nearby where you can go sit on a few different brands?
8/1/2017 8:24am
My 150SX felt way smaller than my '02 CR. YZ feels a little bit bigger than that.
mx617
8/1/2017 9:05am
endurox wrote:
You might give trials riding a try. It is much harder than it looks and easier on the body.
http://www.gasgasmotos.es/us/trial/494-txt-250-racing-usa.html
Haha I've actually always wanted to try it out. Been watching some Tony bou videos the last few weeks, guys are absolutely insane.

Swann, we have the big 6 in available around here but not so much the smaller brands. I'm going to start doing some digging and see ifbtheres a way to make the husky shrouds narrower. Thinking maybe someone makes am aftermarket plastic kit
YZ125H1
8/1/2017 5:57pm
Another vote for late model RM250's they feel like a bicycle and handle like one too.
vetmxr
8/1/2017 7:10pm
endurox wrote:
You might give trials riding a try. It is much harder than it looks and easier on the body.
http://www.gasgasmotos.es/us/trial/494-txt-250-racing-usa.html
mx617 wrote:
Haha I've actually always wanted to try it out. Been watching some Tony bou videos the last few weeks, guys are absolutely insane. Swann, we have...
Haha I've actually always wanted to try it out. Been watching some Tony bou videos the last few weeks, guys are absolutely insane.

Swann, we have the big 6 in available around here but not so much the smaller brands. I'm going to start doing some digging and see ifbtheres a way to make the husky shrouds narrower. Thinking maybe someone makes am aftermarket plastic kit
If you've been watching Tony Bou and have never ridden trials......you are in for a real treat because that guy is not human on a trials bike.

Trials is scary for me.........I'll take moto and triples any day to climbing a tree with a motorcycle......The pro's are amazing........
Semi-Pro
8/1/2017 7:16pm
mx617 wrote:
Kind of an odd question, but here goes: So after a few hip and knee injuries I find it hard to open my legs. To the...
Kind of an odd question, but here goes:

So after a few hip and knee injuries I find it hard to open my legs. To the point I can't even sit on a quad (at the farm, just to be clear) without going sidesaddle.

I noticed at the track the other day that it's really hindering me getting over the front in corners as the bike is too wide for me to slide up. I currently have a 2015 Husky TC250 which is my track bike. I also have my old bike, 2006 YZ250 which I've been doing up as an off road runner. I don't have as much trouble on the YZ, as it seems the rad shrouds are much thinner.

So my question is, who makes the thinnest 250 2T now? If anyone has tried them, I'm open to weird stuff like TM to.

Thanks!
03 RM250 I had was thinner than an upside-down pancake, haven't ridden any other 250 2 strokes though. 125s on the other hand, early 2000s YZs were super thin and overall felt small compared to similar year CRs. It's hard to gauge it though because I haven't REALLY heard of a thick 2 stroke.
Katoomey
8/1/2017 7:30pm Edited Date/Time 8/1/2017 7:36pm
before you go on a wild goose chase for a different bike...If it were me, I would go find a used tank/seat for your 2006 YZ and experiment with heating it up and pushing the sides in. You could narrow the front of the seat and recover it no problem.

forget about how it looks or how the shrouds fit or anything like that. just use it to experiment. you never know, you might get on the thinnest bike out there (RM 250 seems to be the consensus) and it may not even help anything. At least this might give you a better idea of where to go from there.

if squishing the tank (not just squishing, but contouring it where your legs will go) offers some improvement, then I would look into a more permanet set-up, that still looks ok. I'm positive someone could modify your tank/shrouds in a way that doesn't look ghetto or jerry rigged. The TC has a single backbone, so its might work for it as well. The shrouds go all the way back to the seat, but I think it might be doable.

custom aluminum tank is another option...considerably more expensive and time consuming though.
PRM31
8/2/2017 7:08am
My '05 RM125 (now 144) is crazy thin. Fun too!!! I may sell it because I don't get to ride much any more, but that bike is so nimble and forgiving and also fun.

Post a reply to: Thinnest Feeling 2 Stroke?

The Latest