Thinking of running Baja again

bh84
Fantasy
1830th
Edited Date/Time 4/11/2015 9:41am
For those that recall, I raced a quad at the Baja 500 last year, long story short I broke down and was stranded in the desert, suffered from heat exhaustion and heat stroke, as well as severe dehydration. I was sick for days afterwards and to be honest I didn't think I'd ever want to return. It's the closest I've ever come to dying riding. I have an open invitation to go ride again, and according to our teams dispatch I had the fastest average speed out of anyone in our class for my section, now I'm thinking I may want to go back. As far as I know I'm the only person to ever race CMRC motocross, an AMA ATVA National and the Baja 500 in the same season. What would you guys do? The cost to go is about $2500, I could afford it fairly easily, but I'm not sure I want to end up stuck in that god forsaken desert again. I guess I'm just looking for some outside opinions, thats what the internet is for right?
|
nytsmaC
4/7/2015 10:44am
Do it. Use what happened last year to be better prepared this year.
Krazyk2774
4/7/2015 11:23am
I think you should go for it ! Its kind of scary getting stranded like you did, but I think Its worth another shot to say you completed it !
ChrisB10
4/7/2015 11:44am
I hear a lot of people say those types of races are sketchy as hell. Of course all racing is but those are insane. 5th gear wide open for miles and miles. I value my life and Im sure my family does too so i would have to pass if it didnt envolve a roll cage.

The Shop

Xeno
4/7/2015 11:56am
Baja is all about expecting the best, while being prepared for the worst.
You need experienced, reliable people on your team who will come help you anywhere on the race course.
In Dakar, those guys (and gals) are called "water carriers".
4/7/2015 12:08pm
ChrisB10 wrote:
I hear a lot of people say those types of races are sketchy as hell. Of course all racing is but those are insane. 5th gear...
I hear a lot of people say those types of races are sketchy as hell. Of course all racing is but those are insane. 5th gear wide open for miles and miles. I value my life and Im sure my family does too so i would have to pass if it didnt envolve a roll cage.
Thats not the problem. The spectators set traps and spikes and bury railroad ties and all kinds of shit to kill you, or at least make you crash spectacularly.

You've got to be borderline suicidal to cross that border. Especially for a Canuck. Jesus Christ, find 500 miles of Canadian Rockies to ride. Anything!

The story and pictures would be better than an obit.

imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
4/7/2015 3:38pm
If you make it thru safely, what an accomplishment. Let us know, good luck!!
bh84
Fantasy
1830th
4/8/2015 1:32pm
Its insane to ride. But going there and not finishing left a bad taste in my mouth. I feel like I need to finish the job
426Hemi
Fantasy
2747th
4/8/2015 1:37pm
ChrisB10 wrote:
I hear a lot of people say those types of races are sketchy as hell. Of course all racing is but those are insane. 5th gear...
Thats not the problem. The spectators set traps and spikes and bury railroad ties and all kinds of shit to kill you, or at least make...
Thats not the problem. The spectators set traps and spikes and bury railroad ties and all kinds of shit to kill you, or at least make you crash spectacularly.

You've got to be borderline suicidal to cross that border. Especially for a Canuck. Jesus Christ, find 500 miles of Canadian Rockies to ride. Anything!

That is totally fucked up
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
4/8/2015 3:54pm
My best friend got shot while prerunning that race a few years back. As near as we can tell, he got too close to somebody's marijuana farm for comfort and bang. He survived, but I am surely never going to Mexico again.
peelout
4/8/2015 3:57pm
after riding 1400 miles through the Baja last year i have absolutely NO interest in ever racing down there. to each his own.

to the OP, pretty awesome ambition there bud
Coyote
4/8/2015 6:20pm
ChrisB10 wrote:
Thats not the problem. The spectators set traps and spikes and bury railroad ties and all kinds of shit to kill you, or at least make...

Lets summarize Baja racing from a manufacturers standpoint first as they have all the support necessary (Kawi / Honda/KTM), best bikes (miles, months of testing), $ to do it right...ie prerunning for weeks at a time...helicopter support (Kawi/Honda/KTM) and oh wait...none of those three manufacturers are racing!! Must be too far from them logistics wise....nope, thats not it as all mentioned are a day or less drive...certainly couldn't be that each one mentioned (manufacturers) have lost riders (Hamel, Caselli and almost me...just a coma for a month or so). Sorry for being a smartass but the odds are definitely stacked against racing in Baja. The 3 riders mentioned above are just a few I'm familiar with but I know there are lots more that didn't come back across the border in the shape they went down in...your choice!!
4/8/2015 6:20pm
You definitely came to the wrong place for a pep-talk, knowing this forum. If you need to do it, then do it!!! You know what you need to do, just do it safely! If you succeed, much respect!!!!!
Braaaaaaapppp
bh84
Fantasy
1830th
4/10/2015 11:11pm Edited Date/Time 4/11/2015 3:29pm
Here's a clip from my GoPro, it died before the quad broke down, but I managed to fire it up again after I was off the track. I managed to pan around, explain the situation, and say "I hope they find me before" then the video cuts out again. It was funny as hell watching it after, not so much at the time.

Another sort of funny tidbit, this was the first time I had ever raced a Honda, the King of Reliability, and the damn thing leaves me stranded. I don't blame the quad! that race is brutal on everyone's equipment and any machine that manages to finish it deserves to be parked in the riders living room as a trophy. Still, I don't think ill ride a Honda again lol.

I did hear after the race that one rider went off a cliff and broke his leg, he was rescued via helicopter. When his crew came back for the quad it was nowhere to be found, stolen by the locals. Our teams first rider also hit a booby trap and nearly went off a 200 foot cliff. Without a doubt its a scary race in an unforgiving land. But to make it 103 out of 110 miles of my section I just want to finish it. A new quad is already being built for next year. A custom Suzuki based frame with a CRF450R FI engine.

https://youtu.be/nFLeg_Ncve0
BobbyM
4/11/2015 8:18am
bh84 wrote:
For those that recall, I raced a quad at the Baja 500 last year, long story short I broke down and was stranded in the desert...
For those that recall, I raced a quad at the Baja 500 last year, long story short I broke down and was stranded in the desert, suffered from heat exhaustion and heat stroke, as well as severe dehydration. I was sick for days afterwards and to be honest I didn't think I'd ever want to return. It's the closest I've ever come to dying riding. I have an open invitation to go ride again, and according to our teams dispatch I had the fastest average speed out of anyone in our class for my section, now I'm thinking I may want to go back. As far as I know I'm the only person to ever race CMRC motocross, an AMA ATVA National and the Baja 500 in the same season. What would you guys do? The cost to go is about $2500, I could afford it fairly easily, but I'm not sure I want to end up stuck in that god forsaken desert again. I guess I'm just looking for some outside opinions, thats what the internet is for right?
Bank up and get a rescue team behind you if you got the cake. Not sure if riding a quad is brag worthy but hell... Go for it.
BobbyM
4/11/2015 8:23am
bh84 wrote:
Its insane to ride. But going there and not finishing left a bad taste in my mouth. I feel like I need to finish the job
That taste was yer tongue and tastebuds shriveling up like an used condom tossed onto an Arizona sidewalk in July.

But good luck to ya if you do it again.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
4/11/2015 9:41am Edited Date/Time 4/11/2015 9:43am
bh84 wrote:
Here's a clip from my GoPro, it died before the quad broke down, but I managed to fire it up again after I was off the...
Here's a clip from my GoPro, it died before the quad broke down, but I managed to fire it up again after I was off the track. I managed to pan around, explain the situation, and say "I hope they find me before" then the video cuts out again. It was funny as hell watching it after, not so much at the time.

Another sort of funny tidbit, this was the first time I had ever raced a Honda, the King of Reliability, and the damn thing leaves me stranded. I don't blame the quad! that race is brutal on everyone's equipment and any machine that manages to finish it deserves to be parked in the riders living room as a trophy. Still, I don't think ill ride a Honda again lol.

I did hear after the race that one rider went off a cliff and broke his leg, he was rescued via helicopter. When his crew came back for the quad it was nowhere to be found, stolen by the locals. Our teams first rider also hit a booby trap and nearly went off a 200 foot cliff. Without a doubt its a scary race in an unforgiving land. But to make it 103 out of 110 miles of my section I just want to finish it. A new quad is already being built for next year. A custom Suzuki based frame with a CRF450R FI engine.

https://youtu.be/nFLeg_Ncve0
When I click your you tube link I get a Michelob commercial then the Flintstones ?

Good Luck ! Go fast Be safe !

Post a reply to: Thinking of running Baja again

The Latest