Thinking of getting back into Moto

Moto88
7/3/2019 11:00pm
Check and see if there are any demo days at your local tracks and try each. Or if you got any buds that will let you try a few laps. If your really concerned about engine failure, and in the 200-220 range probably a 450 will be good. If you don’t like the torqued feel of a 450 and want instant snap get the 250 2-stroke.
TE333
7/4/2019 1:19am
Moto88 wrote:
Check and see if there are any demo days at your local tracks and try each. Or if you got any buds that will let you...
Check and see if there are any demo days at your local tracks and try each. Or if you got any buds that will let you try a few laps. If your really concerned about engine failure, and in the 200-220 range probably a 450 will be good. If you don’t like the torqued feel of a 450 and want instant snap get the 250 2-stroke.
This^ I was able to find a Yamaha demo day out at Washougal a few weeks ago. I rode the YZ250 and the YX250F, I was very impressed with the 2 stroke. I'm just getting back into the sport after a bunch of years off and never rode a modern 4 stroke. For me the 250F was bit lumbersome. That said, the YZ250 was very familiar to me and comfortable to ride. The guy that was running the demo days was a real good dude and very knowledgeable.
Joe Shagodia
7/4/2019 3:19am
geeZ177 wrote:
Going to be 36 this summer and thinking about giving Moto another try after a long time off. Last raced in 2001 when I quit due...
Going to be 36 this summer and thinking about giving Moto another try after a long time off. Last raced in 2001 when I quit due to parents pulling the plug due to my injury and four strokes were just starting to gain traction. So here it is, I'm going to be a slow mid pack "D" or Begginner /+30c rider till I start gaining some experience again and even then I plan to ride with a sane head as I have a mortgage and other bills to pay along the way. So I won't be doing all the jumps and plain riding slow. I have it in my head that I will buy a brand new and or leftover 250 but can't make up my mind on the stroke. I want a reliable motor, can the 250f's make it a whole season on a top end and with minimal to no valve adjustments in the hands of the slow? I was told by a local dealer that I trust, that with lots of clean oil/filters plus constantly changing the air filter that the 250f would make it all season just like a 250 2 stroke. I know the 4 stroke will be easier to ride and I am leaning that way. But in my head the 2 stroke will be more reliable so that pulls me back that way. Back in 2001 when I got forced out winning was #1 and I was a young dumb 18 year old. I'd like to think I am smarter and winning/doing good is not #1 on my list. Getting a good workout, having fun and being safe are tops on the list. Not saying that I don't want to win or do well but I am more realistic this trip around. What are your guys thoughts for this fat,old,slow guy?
YZ250 with a 9oz or 11oz Steahly Flywheel Weight. Google it, ask the dealer you trust etc. 11oz if you plan to be C rider for a long time 9oz if you think you can get back to B/C skill level. The reliability of the YZ 2 Stroke, and the KYB Suspension alone is reason enough. Not to mention a top end can be done in 30 minutes and cost peanuts compared to a 4 stroke. Adding the flywheel weight will put traction to the ground making the YZ250 feel almost 4stroke like.
Joe Shagodia
7/4/2019 3:26am Edited Date/Time 7/4/2019 3:32am
geeZ177 wrote:
Going to be 36 this summer and thinking about giving Moto another try after a long time off. Last raced in 2001 when I quit due...
Going to be 36 this summer and thinking about giving Moto another try after a long time off. Last raced in 2001 when I quit due to parents pulling the plug due to my injury and four strokes were just starting to gain traction. So here it is, I'm going to be a slow mid pack "D" or Begginner /+30c rider till I start gaining some experience again and even then I plan to ride with a sane head as I have a mortgage and other bills to pay along the way. So I won't be doing all the jumps and plain riding slow. I have it in my head that I will buy a brand new and or leftover 250 but can't make up my mind on the stroke. I want a reliable motor, can the 250f's make it a whole season on a top end and with minimal to no valve adjustments in the hands of the slow? I was told by a local dealer that I trust, that with lots of clean oil/filters plus constantly changing the air filter that the 250f would make it all season just like a 250 2 stroke. I know the 4 stroke will be easier to ride and I am leaning that way. But in my head the 2 stroke will be more reliable so that pulls me back that way. Back in 2001 when I got forced out winning was #1 and I was a young dumb 18 year old. I'd like to think I am smarter and winning/doing good is not #1 on my list. Getting a good workout, having fun and being safe are tops on the list. Not saying that I don't want to win or do well but I am more realistic this trip around. What are your guys thoughts for this fat,old,slow guy?
YZ250 with a 9oz or 11oz Steahly Flywheel Weight. Google it, ask the dealer you trust etc. 11oz if you plan to be C rider for...
YZ250 with a 9oz or 11oz Steahly Flywheel Weight. Google it, ask the dealer you trust etc. 11oz if you plan to be C rider for a long time 9oz if you think you can get back to B/C skill level. The reliability of the YZ 2 Stroke, and the KYB Suspension alone is reason enough. Not to mention a top end can be done in 30 minutes and cost peanuts compared to a 4 stroke. Adding the flywheel weight will put traction to the ground making the YZ250 feel almost 4stroke like.

The Shop

Turbojez
7/4/2019 5:01am
My vote goes to 250 2 stroke. Maintenance is easy, top end is a 2 hour job and if it's workout and fun that you're after, any new 2 stroke will give you just that. Flywheel weight to make it a little easier to lug in higher gears and you're all set.
Have fun man, great to have you back in the sport!
geeZ177
7/4/2019 9:46am
geeZ177 wrote:
YZ250 with a 9oz or 11oz Steahly Flywheel Weight. Google it, ask the dealer you trust etc. 11oz if you plan to be C rider for...
Yes I agree if I go 2 smoking I will add weight to the flywheel.
Doddy
7/4/2019 10:15am
I have a brand new, unused GYTR flywheel weight I got for my YZ250 that is collecting dust. After throwing the Lectron on it....the flywheel weight is about pointless. The Lectron did far more for the bike than a flywheel w could, at least for me. Made it easier to ride and lug around.
MPJC
Fantasy
704th
7/4/2019 11:13am
geeZ177 wrote:
Thanks, this is the kind of info I'm looking for.
No problem. There is nothing on earth more fun than riding a dirtbike. Gauranteed. Enjoy it man! Also heed the advice of the folks up there...
No problem. There is nothing on earth more fun than riding a dirtbike. Gauranteed. Enjoy it man! Also heed the advice of the folks up there recommending a 350. They seem like mama bears porridge....
geeZ177 wrote:
Yeah if I'm going to a 350 I would just get 450 or possibly a 300 TM two stroke.
I had a chance to ride a TM 300 2 stroke (a 2018 I think). That bike is fantastic. A smooth, torquey engine that pulls hard but is very manageable. The new 2019s have a counterbalancer and electric start. If you can get one, do it!
Gworm
7/4/2019 12:26pm
Two stroke without a doubt.
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
638th
7/4/2019 3:22pm
get a newer 450, practically zero maintenance and super easy to ride. set the sag and that's it. gas and go. just my opinion.....
carmfarm
7/4/2019 9:14pm Edited Date/Time 7/4/2019 9:18pm
Get a mtb, u will thank me later. 36 year old beginners just get hurt and will be blown away and u will just waste tons of money for nothing. Mtb is way better as someone explained before, and mtb actually get you fit. Mx just gives u arm pump, won't lose no weight etc
carmfarm
7/4/2019 9:14pm
SLAPAHO wrote:
get a newer 450, practically zero maintenance and super easy to ride. set the sag and that's it. gas and go. just my opinion.....
Lol it's that easy....my ass
geeZ177
7/4/2019 9:49pm
carmfarm wrote:
Get a mtb, u will thank me later. 36 year old beginners just get hurt and will be blown away and u will just waste tons...
Get a mtb, u will thank me later. 36 year old beginners just get hurt and will be blown away and u will just waste tons of money for nothing. Mtb is way better as someone explained before, and mtb actually get you fit. Mx just gives u arm pump, won't lose no weight etc
Again already have a mtb. Have had dirt bikes, ATVs, sleds since I have been about 6-7 years old. I Like power sports and like to compete. Thanks for the input and concern though.
Indy mxer
7/5/2019 5:42am Edited Date/Time 7/5/2019 5:43am
carmfarm wrote:
Get a mtb, u will thank me later. 36 year old beginners just get hurt and will be blown away and u will just waste tons...
You're painting with a pretty broad brush here. I would disagree with you on this.

I mountain bike and ride mx as well. No way mtb is as fun as mx., not even close. Mtb is a good workout, but if I had to choose one sport it would be mx hands down.

Motocross is like everything else, you get back what you put in. You can be a serious racer/rider or just do it for fun.
Buy a good solid used bike and go have a blast!
carmfarm
7/5/2019 6:19am
carmfarm wrote:
Indy mxer wrote:
You're painting with a pretty broad brush here. I would disagree with you on this. I mountain bike and ride mx as well. No way mtb...
You're painting with a pretty broad brush here. I would disagree with you on this.

I mountain bike and ride mx as well. No way mtb is as fun as mx., not even close. Mtb is a good workout, but if I had to choose one sport it would be mx hands down.

Motocross is like everything else, you get back what you put in. You can be a serious racer/rider or just do it for fun.
Hey if yall wanna waste money to ride mx go for it. Nobody rides mx anymore here in florida georiga
geeZ177
7/5/2019 11:51am
carmfarm wrote:
Hey if yall wanna waste money to ride mx go for it. Nobody rides mx anymore here in florida georiga
Yeah numbers are way down in NY as well.
Indy mxer
7/5/2019 12:00pm
carmfarm wrote:
Indy mxer wrote:
You're painting with a pretty broad brush here. I would disagree with you on this. I mountain bike and ride mx as well. No way mtb...

carmfarm wrote:
To each his own. Do whatever makes you happy.
mark_swart
7/5/2019 12:10pm
If you are riding at the level it sounds like, I feel like you will have zero issues running a 250F for a year on a top end if you are keeping up on oil and air filters. That being said, even at 200 lbs, you are going to find a 250F underpowered.
I think a 350, 450 or 250 two stroke sound like a better fit.

Racing after 30 is a lot of fun - I think for most of us it's more fun than it was as kids. I'm 46 and hoping to get to +60 class some day. Take it slow as you come back -- moto uses muscles that you don't use for anything else. Maybe a few trail rides before you hit the track if that is an option. Any cardio you can do in the meantime will also help.

Vintage is also worth a thought, especially if you are just coming back to it. The competition is even more relaxed than the modern vet classes. In our area we have vintage classes that go up to 1996, and AHMRA just came up with a new class structure that includes everything two stroke up to 2006 or somewhere thereabouts. 90s bikes are still extremely fun to ride, cheap to buy, and easy to maintain. Maybe it's a good way to ease back into it and then decide what type of modern bike you want after you've had a year to get back in shape.
Ebs
7/5/2019 12:23pm Edited Date/Time 7/5/2019 12:23pm
NY has a pretty strong hare scramble series: https://nyoa.net/schedule

I only know this because I got sucked into a few of this guys videos. He narrates his race clips, decent stuff, kinda funny:

Yeah, it ain't moto but you get to race and you get a lot of time on the bike.
geeZ177
7/6/2019 9:51am Edited Date/Time 7/6/2019 9:53am
mark_swart wrote:
If you are riding at the level it sounds like, I feel like you will have zero issues running a 250F for a year on a...
If you are riding at the level it sounds like, I feel like you will have zero issues running a 250F for a year on a top end if you are keeping up on oil and air filters. That being said, even at 200 lbs, you are going to find a 250F underpowered.
I think a 350, 450 or 250 two stroke sound like a better fit.

Racing after 30 is a lot of fun - I think for most of us it's more fun than it was as kids. I'm 46 and hoping to get to +60 class some day. Take it slow as you come back -- moto uses muscles that you don't use for anything else. Maybe a few trail rides before you hit the track if that is an option. Any cardio you can do in the meantime will also help.

Vintage is also worth a thought, especially if you are just coming back to it. The competition is even more relaxed than the modern vet classes. In our area we have vintage classes that go up to 1996, and AHMRA just came up with a new class structure that includes everything two stroke up to 2006 or somewhere thereabouts. 90s bikes are still extremely fun to ride, cheap to buy, and easy to maintain. Maybe it's a good way to ease back into it and then decide what type of modern bike you want after you've had a year to get back in shape.
Yes I agree that if I do end up going forward with this it will be more fun this time around due to no stress of expectations. I just want to ride a dirt bike, get outside and have fun. But the biggest thing is that I don't want a money pit of a bike. I have not forgotten how much work a race bike takes but I just wasn't real sure on the 250 four stroke thing since I have heard so much bad about them. As I just want a bike that will make it from the start of the year till the off season without having to tear the motor down. That was/is my whole main topic for this post whether or not a 250f could achieve this goal and if not I would gladly ride a 250 2 stroke. Was not looking for validation or people's opinions on whether I should ride or not. I just listed my age and skill as a back story to paint a picture that I would not being running the motor to it's limits. With that being said, I thank those that have said to go for it and to those who say ride a bicycle thank you for your opinion as well. I get it, it does sound a bit nuts to want to get back into it. This is something that I have wanted to get back into since I was younger and out on my own but life got in the way as I'm sure you all know what that's like.

Post a reply to: Thinking of getting back into Moto

The Latest