Things I've noticed with 'the show'

danman
Edited Date/Time 5/5/2014 6:33pm
I've DVR'd every race this year, with the exception of Vegas. I sat and watched it. I know people talk about being like NASCAR, but it isn't possible. Here are a few problem areas I think could make a better show.
1) WAY TOO long between heats/semis/mains. I didn't do any timings, but I actually missed some of the racing because I got REALLY BORED watching commercial after commercial waiting for the next race to start. I changed channels. If I'm a long time fan/racer and got that bored, how bored is a 'potential' fan going to be. I know they want to touch up the track and do all the interviews, but REALLY how long do they need to take. Are they doing too much touching up too often?
2) The camera work needs some better coordination. There's a battle going on that they are showing for several laps, then right when it's about to get good, they switch to the leader out front all by himself???? WTF? Can't we watch guys actually battling for position? It's also very hard for the announcing crew to stay with when they switch away from a good battle. At one point, they sounded pretty frustrated as to why the camera switched.
3) I'm not a huge Ralph Shaheen(sp) fan, but he has been much better this year. I just wish Feld would silence that dude in the stadium that thinks he has to scream his lungs out at the start of every race. I'm watching TV wondering how that is making the show any better. I've been to SX races and thought the same thing.

Anyway, after watching it live on TV, I'll be DVR'ing it and fast forward through all the BS. Way too much downtime.
|
Kyle978
5/5/2014 9:42am
Uh, bro. There's things like track prep, interviews and 50cc races that cause the breaks. Have you ever been to a SX? Not much time to get a beer without missing some racing.
blusmbl
5/5/2014 9:52am
Kyle978 wrote:
Uh, bro. There's things like track prep, interviews and 50cc races that cause the breaks. Have you ever been to a SX? Not much time to...
Uh, bro. There's things like track prep, interviews and 50cc races that cause the breaks. Have you ever been to a SX? Not much time to get a beer without missing some racing.
Don't forget the Toyota tough block challenge!!!!
MR. X
5/5/2014 10:13am
I prey that dirtbike racing never gets as boring as a trashcar race.

The Shop

HuskyEd
5/5/2014 10:14am
There is always room for improvement but at least every race I get to see has no commercial interruptions from gate drop to checkered flag. Unfortunately the long commercial breaks between races is the price we have to pay for live racing.
tprice07
5/5/2014 10:18am
danman wrote:
I've DVR'd every race this year, with the exception of Vegas. I sat and watched it. I know people talk about being like NASCAR, but it...
I've DVR'd every race this year, with the exception of Vegas. I sat and watched it. I know people talk about being like NASCAR, but it isn't possible. Here are a few problem areas I think could make a better show.
1) WAY TOO long between heats/semis/mains. I didn't do any timings, but I actually missed some of the racing because I got REALLY BORED watching commercial after commercial waiting for the next race to start. I changed channels. If I'm a long time fan/racer and got that bored, how bored is a 'potential' fan going to be. I know they want to touch up the track and do all the interviews, but REALLY how long do they need to take. Are they doing too much touching up too often?
2) The camera work needs some better coordination. There's a battle going on that they are showing for several laps, then right when it's about to get good, they switch to the leader out front all by himself???? WTF? Can't we watch guys actually battling for position? It's also very hard for the announcing crew to stay with when they switch away from a good battle. At one point, they sounded pretty frustrated as to why the camera switched.
3) I'm not a huge Ralph Shaheen(sp) fan, but he has been much better this year. I just wish Feld would silence that dude in the stadium that thinks he has to scream his lungs out at the start of every race. I'm watching TV wondering how that is making the show any better. I've been to SX races and thought the same thing.

Anyway, after watching it live on TV, I'll be DVR'ing it and fast forward through all the BS. Way too much downtime.
Track prep does take time and it is necessary so there is that....I think they could have a 2nd version that is shortened up without all the garbage. Full Heats, then highlights of Semis/LCQs then the main can actually use the good footage of the race. (I'm guessing the record button is always running on the raw footage) I do agree that the races go on forever...it is like 2 am by the time the races are over.

On a side note....I hate Lurch or whoever that is that screems...Does anyone think he adds anything to it? If they want to do something cool they need that really deep intense voice.. Opening Ceremonies Voice

I hate hate hate that guy on the start gate that goes...."AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" Someone shoot him with a tshirt gun already. Seriously, does anyone like him??
peelout
5/5/2014 10:18am
regarding how long the show is.... i totally agree. way too long.

i threw a big supercross party at a local sports bar and rented out the entire place. for A1 we started with about 80 people and 70 of them were there for the last lap of the 450 main. for Vegas we started with about 65 people and only 8 of us were there for the last lap of the 450 main.

i like the racing and watching just as much as anyone, but i was getting very bored with the show. i usually watch the entire broadcast again a couple times through the next week, but lately i've been ffwding to the mains and then deleting the show after 1 review.

just my .02
5/5/2014 10:19am
I noticed the same thing. It seemed like this weekends race just took longer for some reason. If you think the long shows suck for us, just imagine it for the racers. There's some instances where they're fired up and ready to go just to have to turn the bikes back off for the commercials or some other crap the producers want to run. It's like holding it wide open at the gate for 20 seconds and someone having a mechanical and having to wait those extra 2 minutes. Between the adrenaline, nerves, and thoughts running through a racers head it has to have some effect on them.
5/5/2014 10:24am
The downtime is much improved this year with the addition of the Semis.
Titan1
5/5/2014 10:26am
Yup...and I'm probably going to contradict a post I made several years ago where I was complaining about getting only highlights of the heats...but I think its time to give us highlights of the heats, semi's and LCQ'a and just do the main events live.

I've been ffwding the heats/semis/LCQ's all year anyway...just show us the good stuff from the qualifers, and then show the main events live. Make it an hour (hour and a half tops)....
tprice07
5/5/2014 10:26am
I noticed the same thing. It seemed like this weekends race just took longer for some reason. If you think the long shows suck for us...
I noticed the same thing. It seemed like this weekends race just took longer for some reason. If you think the long shows suck for us, just imagine it for the racers. There's some instances where they're fired up and ready to go just to have to turn the bikes back off for the commercials or some other crap the producers want to run. It's like holding it wide open at the gate for 20 seconds and someone having a mechanical and having to wait those extra 2 minutes. Between the adrenaline, nerves, and thoughts running through a racers head it has to have some effect on them.
Let's just drop all the garbage....bring back Friday practice....Saturday have qualifying times put them into the Main....SO.. the night show is opening ceremonies then straight into the main events. Done. (kidding of course)
mojoman42
5/5/2014 10:37am Edited Date/Time 5/5/2014 10:38am
I noticed the same thing. It seemed like this weekends race just took longer for some reason. If you think the long shows suck for us...
tprice07 wrote:
Let's just drop all the garbage....bring back Friday practice....Saturday have qualifying times put them into the Main....SO.. the night show is opening ceremonies then straight into...
Let's just drop all the garbage....bring back Friday practice....Saturday have qualifying times put them into the Main....SO.. the night show is opening ceremonies then straight into the main events. Done. (kidding of course)
That's actually how it should be. Saturday afternoon qualifying to determine gate picks, then 2 motos for each class. I'd take that over the current format any day.

They could also run practice on Friday, and heat races Saturday afternoon. I just don't think it makes any sense for qualifying races to be part of the main show.
Knapton
5/5/2014 10:43am
What I really hate is all the breaks. Its like the second the race is over they go to a commercial then they come back and talk to the winner then commercial and then they come back and say the next race is on the line and talk some bullshit, and then they go to another damn commercial before the race starts! I dont know whats its like for you guys in the states but the commercials in canada on the speed channel are brutal. Theres no actual product ads its just all speed tv show commercials so you see the same commercial about 10 times a night and theyre the same every weekend. I dont know how many more times I can hear Dale Earnhart JR talk about never getting out of the "motorcoach"
JeepnMike
5/5/2014 10:50am
If you guys are complaining SX on TV is too long, wait till the end of the MX season Tongue (assuming you have all of the right channels).
tprice07
5/5/2014 10:51am
tprice07 wrote:
Let's just drop all the garbage....bring back Friday practice....Saturday have qualifying times put them into the Main....SO.. the night show is opening ceremonies then straight into...
mojoman42 wrote:
That's actually how it should be. Saturday afternoon qualifying to determine gate picks, then 2 motos for each class. I'd take that over the current format...
That's actually how it should be. Saturday afternoon qualifying to determine gate picks, then 2 motos for each class. I'd take that over the current format any day.

They could also run practice on Friday, and heat races Saturday afternoon. I just don't think it makes any sense for qualifying races to be part of the main show.
What if they did 2 moto format...like 2 main events. Could tighten up the actual races...like I said before...remove the heats/semis.. so

Friday: Practice Session
Saturday Day: Qualifying.
Saturday Night: 250 Main 1 (10 laps) 450 Main 1 (10 laps) 250 Main 2 (10 laps) 450 Main 2 (10 laps)

If there are 22 riders in 450 Then give 1 to 22nd place, and 22 to first place. If they want to add incentive Toyota Challenge to whoever wins most overalls. Maybe it would keep things more interesting. Idk. It sucks to see a guy get a bad start in the Main and be out of it for the championship...2 mains could help to overcome the one bad start......(This idea will get pooped on by tons of people haha)
dsmith
Fantasy
1470th
5/5/2014 10:52am
they have to lollygag around cause the 450 main averages about 15min.....
moto38
5/5/2014 11:08am
Yet another person complaining about supercross. Youre literally complaining about stuff that is impossible to change.

Too much time between races? Yea, duh... first off they have to do track work. If they tried to save time by running the races closer together, you would be complaining about how the track is in poor condition. Theres no pleasing people.

Camera work? are you serious? Its a live show, of course theyre going to miss stuff. 99% of the time they go back and show the part that they werent showing when it happened. Theres no way a camera crew knows exactly where and when something is going to happen. Thats just stupid.

Can we please lay off Ralph FFS? The dude isnt some seasoned motocross rider, he is an event announcer. So what he messes up a few names. So what he gets a little too excited sometimes, the dude does a great job for not growing up around the sport and having to keep track of all the riders every weekend. He probably has other obligations during the week and cant sit around and study every factor of motocross racing. He does fine IMO.

Honestly, they could broadcast the show with 2 horses neighing the entire time and I would still watch it. Can we please stop nit picking like a bunch of tards and just appreciate the fact that on any night there are about 5 or 6 guys who could win? This has been one of the best seasons so far yet people still complain about the stupidest shit.
moto38
5/5/2014 11:14am
no... just no. They dont stop the nights program for a few measly commercials. What do you think is easier to schedule- a commercial break, or a 100 rider program with multiple races?

They run commercials when there is a lull in the program, not the other way around. They dont hold up a professional motosport race to show the same commercials over and over again.

Besides, Vegas had a completely different schedule than the rest of the races with the east/west main and shootout. No shit there is gonna be a difference between Vegas and the other races.

I swear people on this site are being intentionally stupid or something.
Socket946
5/5/2014 11:18am
Only people on this board would complain that the "show is too long"
danman
5/5/2014 12:19pm
moto38 wrote:
Yet another person complaining about supercross. Youre literally complaining about stuff that is impossible to change. Too much time between races? Yea, duh... first off they...
Yet another person complaining about supercross. Youre literally complaining about stuff that is impossible to change.

Too much time between races? Yea, duh... first off they have to do track work. If they tried to save time by running the races closer together, you would be complaining about how the track is in poor condition. Theres no pleasing people.

Camera work? are you serious? Its a live show, of course theyre going to miss stuff. 99% of the time they go back and show the part that they werent showing when it happened. Theres no way a camera crew knows exactly where and when something is going to happen. Thats just stupid.

Can we please lay off Ralph FFS? The dude isnt some seasoned motocross rider, he is an event announcer. So what he messes up a few names. So what he gets a little too excited sometimes, the dude does a great job for not growing up around the sport and having to keep track of all the riders every weekend. He probably has other obligations during the week and cant sit around and study every factor of motocross racing. He does fine IMO.

Honestly, they could broadcast the show with 2 horses neighing the entire time and I would still watch it. Can we please stop nit picking like a bunch of tards and just appreciate the fact that on any night there are about 5 or 6 guys who could win? This has been one of the best seasons so far yet people still complain about the stupidest shit.
I think someone needs to work on reading skills and comprehension.

I wouldn't complain about the track being in poor condition. I think they spend too much time grooming the track. I'd rather see a difficult track.
Please re-read what I said about the camera work. If they are following a good battle, then switch away from it when it's getting good, only to watch the leader all by himself???? They do know what is going on and can plainly see what we are seeing, as well as the other 10-15 other cameras we DON'T see.
Also, re-read about my Ralph comment. I said he did much better this year. I bagged on the screaming idiot down on the floor. It sounds awful.

I may be complaining a bit, but you're the one looking 'like a tard' by not comprehending what I typed.
ACBraap
Fantasy
564th
5/5/2014 12:34pm
Lurch screaming is the single worst part of supercross. It's bad if you're there live, and annoying to hear even on TV as the gate is about to drop. Next is short lap times. Seems like it would be better for TV if the mains were a consistent length of time instead of laps. Aim for 15 and 20 minutes or something like that and adjust laps as needed (but keep Daytona and Vegas long).

Way too many repetitive commercials, but I get that's the price of uninterrupted coverage of the actual races. Set the tivo to record, start watching an hour late and ffwd through commercials and you're caught up by the 450 main.
moto38
5/5/2014 12:39pm
danman wrote:
I think someone needs to work on reading skills and comprehension. I wouldn't complain about the track being in poor condition. I think they spend too...
I think someone needs to work on reading skills and comprehension.

I wouldn't complain about the track being in poor condition. I think they spend too much time grooming the track. I'd rather see a difficult track.
Please re-read what I said about the camera work. If they are following a good battle, then switch away from it when it's getting good, only to watch the leader all by himself???? They do know what is going on and can plainly see what we are seeing, as well as the other 10-15 other cameras we DON'T see.
Also, re-read about my Ralph comment. I said he did much better this year. I bagged on the screaming idiot down on the floor. It sounds awful.

I may be complaining a bit, but you're the one looking 'like a tard' by not comprehending what I typed.
I read what you wrote and had no problem comprehending it. Im simply pointing out the fact that if its not one thing to complain about, theres another, no matter how good the broadcast is.

Yes, Im pretty sure if the track was left rough, all we would hear is- "the track is too rough, its become so one lined." or "they couldnt even jump some sections because it was too beat up" or "there was plywood showing hurrr durr." The shit never fails.

The camera work, Ill admit, can be annoying at times when they switch, but they almost always go right back and give replays in slow mo or show it a few more times.
motoxxx599
Fantasy
875th
5/5/2014 12:41pm
ACBraap wrote:
Lurch screaming is the single worst part of supercross. It's bad if you're there live, and annoying to hear even on TV as the gate is...
Lurch screaming is the single worst part of supercross. It's bad if you're there live, and annoying to hear even on TV as the gate is about to drop. Next is short lap times. Seems like it would be better for TV if the mains were a consistent length of time instead of laps. Aim for 15 and 20 minutes or something like that and adjust laps as needed (but keep Daytona and Vegas long).

Way too many repetitive commercials, but I get that's the price of uninterrupted coverage of the actual races. Set the tivo to record, start watching an hour late and ffwd through commercials and you're caught up by the 450 main.
My wife has said that on several occasions about Lurch "Why is he yelling? Thats so annoying." And I always wait an hour and then watch... Im usually caught up before the mains. This week i was caught up by semi 1 after starting an hour and 45 minutes late.
FullThrottle
5/5/2014 12:46pm
How about we sit back and enjoy SX live every weekend. Some of you will bitch about anything. If you want boring, go sit through 9 innings of baseball. I'll take live racing anyday. Record it and start watching it about an hour after it starts. FF through commercials and Ralphs interviews and it will put you live at the start of the mains almost every time.
Vonripper450
5/5/2014 2:33pm
You people on this site are friggin crazy. Supposed SX fans complaining about too much racing and "wha, racing takes too much time!" The SX broadcasts get better and better every year. The more racing the better and no crap, it takes time for a live broadcast. I hope Feld doesn't take you guys seriously.
5/5/2014 2:38pm Edited Date/Time 5/5/2014 2:40pm
You people on this site are friggin crazy. Supposed SX fans complaining about too much racing and "wha, racing takes too much time!" The SX broadcasts...
You people on this site are friggin crazy. Supposed SX fans complaining about too much racing and "wha, racing takes too much time!" The SX broadcasts get better and better every year. The more racing the better and no crap, it takes time for a live broadcast. I hope Feld doesn't take you guys seriously.
Fox sports does, sadly. All the races were going to be live this year on Either FS1 or FS2, but so many cheap ass rednecks whined and cried about the races that were on FS2 (they were too cheap to upgrade their cable package) that they actually moved the race BACK to FS1, albeit at 1AM.

These threads remind me of that scene in Fight Club. Where the applicants for Project Mayhem come to the door, and Brad Pitt tells the dude, "I dunno, just make up something...tell him...he's too blonde." "supecross... its....TOO SUPERCROSSY!!"

It could be 1994, and the only race on TV is Daytona SX, and they air it in June. Then Unadilla, aired in October. "Speedworld, bro"

for the record, I upgraded mine, paid exactly 8 dollars. and for that whopping 8 dollars, I got FS2 and CBSSports which plays the MXGPs, AND H2... ::ALIENS::
40Plus_922mx
5/5/2014 4:24pm
I love every minute of it. Sometimes even though I can DVR it I still sit down and watch it LIVE cause I like how it is 3+ hours long. I use the commercials to drain the tanks and refuel, talk about the last race etc.

I do agree that for some reason this particular round it seemed like the camera coordinating was a little off. All the other shows were done very well.

This is the number one problem with the show.
I HATE that the guys are only allowed to talk about what is on the screen at that given moment when we all hear the crowd going berserk for something we can not see. I see no problem with RC interrupting Fro or Ralph,
RC: "Oh man, Hill just went over the bars off camera".
Ralph: "We look to see if we got that on camera and bring it to you right away".

The bottom line is that every year over the last decade the SX telecast has only gotten better and better. And every year people always find something to complain about. This year was the absolute best coverage in the history of the sport. And I ain't complaining.
level
5/5/2014 4:54pm
I would have to disagree with most your points. The night show is already a good length. Honestly, you just need to DVR the damn thing. I do that with all my shows. Imagine watching an hour long show on TV-like CSI, etc. and all the commercials as well. No way to get around the commercials. Nascar and football are the same. Football is brutal with the commercials.
5/5/2014 4:55pm
moto38 wrote:
no... just no. They dont stop the nights program for a few measly commercials. What do you think is easier to schedule- a commercial break, or...
no... just no. They dont stop the nights program for a few measly commercials. What do you think is easier to schedule- a commercial break, or a 100 rider program with multiple races?

They run commercials when there is a lull in the program, not the other way around. They dont hold up a professional motosport race to show the same commercials over and over again.

Besides, Vegas had a completely different schedule than the rest of the races with the east/west main and shootout. No shit there is gonna be a difference between Vegas and the other races.

I swear people on this site are being intentionally stupid or something.
Maybe what I said could have been clarified a little better. But yes, they do make them wait during LIVE shows until the commercials are over. Don't believe me? Re-watch the race and between the ridiculously long wait of 450 heats. Tell me why the guys have to sit on the gate for 5-10 minutes after the first heat race when there's no track work or injured guys laying in the middle of the track? Commercials. Whether they stop racing to show commercials or hold it up to show commercials doesn't make much of a difference in my mind, and I'm sure the racers as well. Just like every live broadcast, companies pay to have their product advertised, and probably more so than normal programming. But, like someone else has already said, it's a little stupid when they finish a race, go to commercial, talk to a heat winner, and go to another commercial.
ts.p311
5/5/2014 5:49pm
I wish they show wider shots sometimes. For example when they're zoomed in on one rider, usually the leader, I wish they'd zoom out a bit so I can see how close the next rider is. Of course I know there are times when the next rider is too far back, but when they're only like a second behind and they're zoomed in on only one of them, it drives me nuts.

Post a reply to: Things I've noticed with 'the show'

The Latest