Things I took away from the pulp interviews..

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
8/17/2022 9:57am Edited Date/Time 8/17/2022 10:15am
thewrizzle wrote:
I tend to agree with a lot of what you are posting here but one point that jumps out to me is the “trade”. Yamaha is...
I tend to agree with a lot of what you are posting here but one point that jumps out to me is the “trade”.

Yamaha is the one that offered the motors and the ride day, correct?

Why is it that the claim wasn’t dropped until the dealer and the dad took the discussion outside of Mart Walkers pit away from Yamaha? What was said between those two?
What happened is they made a deal. Whether they could still have taken the bike doesn't matter if he felt the deal was better overall. Whether they made the claim to leverage the deal doesn't matter. It doesn't really even matter if the father knew what was going on and involved in advance. The father is grown man who is entitled to make decisions for his kid.

DonM
8/17/2022 10:00am
Magoofan wrote:
Listening to the show tonight.... Steve, you couldn't be more in the bag for Yamaha. Saying "the kid should have the bike" doesn't change the fact...
Listening to the show tonight.... Steve, you couldn't be more in the bag for Yamaha. Saying "the kid should have the bike" doesn't change the fact that he DOESN'T.

It's blatantly clear what happened here....these people can spew "nicey" words all day long...the viewers/fans weren't born yesterday. The kid was beaten into submission and completely screwed.

As for the dealer storyline....we all know dealers are always 100% honest. lol We don't call them "stealers" for nothing. Not to mention, the dealer is scum for dropping the kid over this....

There are red flags all over Walker and he isn't credible AT ALL.

A caller calls in with "Brennan told me it was his engine builders idea and money". Uh huh....sounds like a current FBI tactic.

Attacking Ping and GL for pulling no punches was beyond laughable (Ping having Yamaha as a sponsor even). Kudos to them for calling like it is.

I'm a lifelong fan of Yamaha, I've only owned YZs back when I rode/raced MX. Pretty disgusted with Yamaha after what's transpired here.

Matthes wrote:
When you say "beaten into submission and completely screwed", I think you need to calm down a bit, The dad shook hands on a deal for...
When you say "beaten into submission and completely screwed", I think you need to calm down a bit, The dad shook hands on a deal for motors and a chance to ride at goat farm. Perhaps that's the trade for dropping the claim? There's conflicting stories on when that was offered but "beaten into submission"? Come on.

The issue I have with some media in this is the OG STORY, was (paraphrasing) "Yamaha threatened my dealer to pull support" unless I dropped the claim. So that's what these guys were going off on. I think we can all agree that's a horrific look for Yamaha yeah? To ruin a business over this.

So knowing that's not good, why doesn't any of these guys reach out to the other side? Why would you take a 17- year old kid (who we now see is sending dumb kid type stuff to Deegan on social which doesn't make him a liar but does provide some context into his character right?) at his word and NOT try to get the other side of this allegation?

You, the reader/listener, can make your own mind up after hearing from all sides, no problem with that but in a case like this, don't you want to hear all sides before you make a video commenting on that? Ping is sponsored by Yamaha (like me), and just runs with this story? Shouldn't he have reached out at least?

You, the people, the fans, can do whatever and make your mind up right away (which isn't right but whatever) but IMO, for something like this (where a company that supports the sport heavily gets dragged through the mud, where people are screaming for a long time industry guy to be fired), we in then media should talk to everyone on both sides.

Let's not forget who started this shitstorm by putting out a video after talking to only the motor guy and tagging the video "Did Yamaha and Deegan Cheat" most of this mob jumped and ran with that story without knowing any of the facts...now that YouTube TMZ nut job knows how to create clicks and followers to benefit only him...you can bet he's watching the results of what he started and enjoying every minute....bottom line as you say the kid should have the bike but it was the dealer and nobody else but the dealer that convinced him to drop the claim...Weege has summed it up perfectly in his latest RacerX article and its now time to move on until the next Douchebag TMZ YouTube video drop...
rc51
Fantasy
155th
8/17/2022 10:05am
Matthes wrote:
Yes, of course I do. But the general feeling out there is this kid got intimidated, Yamaha sucks and he's the innocent party in this. He's...
Yes, of course I do. But the general feeling out there is this kid got intimidated, Yamaha sucks and he's the innocent party in this. He's got some inconsistencies in his story that maybe, just maybe we shouldn't be so quick to bury the one side (which I feel has been done)...

He made claim, Matt Walker, dealer told him it's not a good look to do this in their opinion. He dropped claim (seemingly w/o threats), got motors, dealer said no one from Yamaha called him to threaten anything.

What's wrong with the above?
Steve,

You have specifically written out in your replies a list of each event where you believe Brennan had inconsistencies in his story, and you have done it multiple times in these threads.

But when you are asked about or shown the inconsistencies of some the other players in this fiasco you seem to put zero weight on the inconsistencies in their stories. Your response of "Yes of course I do" but yet you will not list the other parties inconsistencies, Why is that?

I don't think the majority of people are asking for you to take sides I think what people want is for you and the moto media to be completely objective and present the facts equally. So in this particular instance it should be just as easy for you to list out the individual inconsistencies in each parties story and give them equal exposure, but you chose to give Brennan much more exposure for his inconsistencies. Its hard to view that as being objective.

I have no skin in the game, just an opinion.
Magoofan
Shadow Glen (for those who remember), CA US
8/17/2022 10:08am
DonM wrote:
Let's not forget who started this shitstorm by putting out a video after talking to only the motor guy and tagging the video "Did Yamaha and...
Let's not forget who started this shitstorm by putting out a video after talking to only the motor guy and tagging the video "Did Yamaha and Deegan Cheat" most of this mob jumped and ran with that story without knowing any of the facts...now that YouTube TMZ nut job knows how to create clicks and followers to benefit only him...you can bet he's watching the results of what he started and enjoying every minute....bottom line as you say the kid should have the bike but it was the dealer and nobody else but the dealer that convinced him to drop the claim...Weege has summed it up perfectly in his latest RacerX article and its now time to move on until the next Douchebag TMZ YouTube video drop...
Nobody else but the dealer got him to drop the claim....... who was acting as proxy for Yamaha.

The Shop

DonM
8/17/2022 10:11am
DonM wrote:
Let's not forget who started this shitstorm by putting out a video after talking to only the motor guy and tagging the video "Did Yamaha and...
Magoofan wrote:
Nobody else but the dealer got him to drop the claim....... who was acting as proxy for Yamaha.
“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”
Matthes
8/17/2022 10:51am
rc51 wrote:
Steve, You have specifically written out in your replies a list of each event where you believe Brennan had inconsistencies in his story, and you have...
Steve,

You have specifically written out in your replies a list of each event where you believe Brennan had inconsistencies in his story, and you have done it multiple times in these threads.

But when you are asked about or shown the inconsistencies of some the other players in this fiasco you seem to put zero weight on the inconsistencies in their stories. Your response of "Yes of course I do" but yet you will not list the other parties inconsistencies, Why is that?

I don't think the majority of people are asking for you to take sides I think what people want is for you and the moto media to be completely objective and present the facts equally. So in this particular instance it should be just as easy for you to list out the individual inconsistencies in each parties story and give them equal exposure, but you chose to give Brennan much more exposure for his inconsistencies. Its hard to view that as being objective.

Bobby Regan has inconsistencies in whether he was willing to let that bike go, Matt Walker has inconsistencies on his story with the motor guy and the discussion with him on leaving his pit, I think there are inconsistencies on whether the motors were offered after the claim was dropped or for the claim being dropped, either way, I don't think it matters there because the dad was obviously ok with it.

Deegan's words and actions (talking to kid) I think, are completely ridiculous and I stated that a few times.
8/17/2022 12:15pm
Rickyisms wrote:
I can’t believe Brian fucking Deegan stooped to the level of posting those screenshots on his Instagram story 🤦🏻‍♂️
Sandusky26 wrote:
I can’t believe a 50 something year old asked a teenager if he was trying to defame him on YouTube.

WTF is the world coming too.
What if the kid said "maybe", then what?
RCMXracing
8/17/2022 1:08pm
As DonM points out the TMZ YouTube person(s) tossing out the Vid with one side only for sure brought out the pitch forks, but what does that say about the Moto masses opinion of the Deegan’s?

Is there innate bias against the Deegan’s? If so why is that? Would like some opinions. What if it was different rider with an image similar to Dungey? Would the mob still be attacking?
El Capitan
8/17/2022 1:19pm
rc51 wrote:
Steve, You have specifically written out in your replies a list of each event where you believe Brennan had inconsistencies in his story, and you have...
Steve,

Matthes wrote:
Bobby Regan has inconsistencies in whether he was willing to let that bike go, Matt Walker has inconsistencies on his story with the motor guy and...
Bobby Regan has inconsistencies in whether he was willing to let that bike go, Matt Walker has inconsistencies on his story with the motor guy and the discussion with him on leaving his pit, I think there are inconsistencies on whether the motors were offered after the claim was dropped or for the claim being dropped, either way, I don't think it matters there because the dad was obviously ok with it.

Deegan's words and actions (talking to kid) I think, are completely ridiculous and I stated that a few times.
So just to be clear, everybody but Luce and Cotter have inconsistencies in their stories? Just a coincidence that you are compensated by both Yamaha (Luce) and RacerX (Cotter, directly or indirectly via DC), eh?
stremme12
Fantasy
3700th
8/17/2022 1:30pm Edited Date/Time 8/17/2022 1:33pm
rc51 wrote:
Steve,

Matthes wrote:
Bobby Regan has inconsistencies in whether he was willing to let that bike go, Matt Walker has inconsistencies on his story with the motor guy and...

El Capitan wrote:
So just to be clear, everybody but Luce and Cotter have inconsistencies in their stories? Just a coincidence that you are compensated by both Yamaha (Luce)...
So just to be clear, everybody but Luce and Cotter have inconsistencies in their stories? Just a coincidence that you are compensated by both Yamaha (Luce) and RacerX (Cotter, directly or indirectly via DC), eh?
You just quoted him saying that he doesn't know whether to believe Luce offered the motors for the claim drop or not. Meaning Luce could have lied completely so it doesn't look like a bribe.

I'm just not sure why Steve didn't push harder on that subject when he had him on the show. He just brushed over Luce's answer quickly that he gave the kid the motors and it had nothing to do with the claim. Seems Odd of a journalist to not question that a little more.
Matthes
8/17/2022 1:52pm
stremme12 wrote:
You just quoted him saying that he doesn't know whether to believe Luce offered the motors for the claim drop or not. Meaning Luce could have...
You just quoted him saying that he doesn't know whether to believe Luce offered the motors for the claim drop or not. Meaning Luce could have lied completely so it doesn't look like a bribe.

I'm just not sure why Steve didn't push harder on that subject when he had him on the show. He just brushed over Luce's answer quickly that he gave the kid the motors and it had nothing to do with the claim. Seems Odd of a journalist to not question that a little more.
I don't think that part matters though, the dad and the kid agreed to get these motors from Yamaha (and a chance at the GOAT farm ride?)..whether it was offered to drop the claim (and not under any threats or coercion, just a deal being made), how does it matter at what point exactly in the conversation it was offered?

Not a bribe, an offer. Kid and dad could've said no thanks and proceeded with claim but I think the opinions (that this is bad for his career) from Matt, the dealer and this offer made them change their minds. I don't see a problem with this?

I still would've kept the claim in and I think he should've also, 17K for a Star bike is sweet.
Matthes
8/17/2022 1:54pm Edited Date/Time 8/17/2022 1:55pm
El Capitan wrote:
So just to be clear, everybody but Luce and Cotter have inconsistencies in their stories? Just a coincidence that you are compensated by both Yamaha (Luce)...
I'm not sure how many times on the show or in YT video I said Tim never should have allowed Brian to talk to this kid. That's not cool IMO. If I was worried about my compensation, would I have said this over and over?

As far as Donnie, this was in my reply above " I think there are inconsistencies on whether the motors were offered after the claim was dropped or for the claim being dropped, either way, I don't think it matters there because the dad was obviously ok with it."--this means Donnie
stremme12
Fantasy
3700th
8/17/2022 2:38pm Edited Date/Time 8/17/2022 2:45pm
stremme12 wrote:
You just quoted him saying that he doesn't know whether to believe Luce offered the motors for the claim drop or not. Meaning Luce could have...

Matthes wrote:
I don't think that part matters though, the dad and the kid agreed to get these motors from Yamaha (and a chance at the GOAT farm...
I don't think that part matters though, the dad and the kid agreed to get these motors from Yamaha (and a chance at the GOAT farm ride?)..whether it was offered to drop the claim (and not under any threats or coercion, just a deal being made), how does it matter at what point exactly in the conversation it was offered?

Not a bribe, an offer. Kid and dad could've said no thanks and proceeded with claim but I think the opinions (that this is bad for his career) from Matt, the dealer and this offer made them change their minds. I don't see a problem with this?

I still would've kept the claim in and I think he should've also, 17K for a Star bike is sweet.
You're saying it doesn't matter but in reality it's quite possibly the whole entire truth to the story. Kids Dad knows his Canadian dealership sponsor is pissed and struck a deal with Yamaha. Yamaha for whatever reason denies any deals being struck to drop the claim. Not sure why they deny it but they did. If they didn't deny it and said they made a deal then end of story that's what happened.

That literally could be the story. It matters because it quite possibly is the reason they don't own the bike. They struck a deal due to a pissed off sponsor and Yamaha offering a deal.
Magoofan
Shadow Glen (for those who remember), CA US
8/17/2022 3:00pm
For focks sake....I'm slowly getting thru the show and the Matt Walker segment is beyond weapons grade horseshit...on all counts other than JT.

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
8/17/2022 3:16pm
stremme12 wrote:
You're saying it doesn't matter but in reality it's quite possibly the whole entire truth to the story. Kids Dad knows his Canadian dealership sponsor is...
You're saying it doesn't matter but in reality it's quite possibly the whole entire truth to the story. Kids Dad knows his Canadian dealership sponsor is pissed and struck a deal with Yamaha. Yamaha for whatever reason denies any deals being struck to drop the claim. Not sure why they deny it but they did. If they didn't deny it and said they made a deal then end of story that's what happened.

That literally could be the story. It matters because it quite possibly is the reason they don't own the bike. They struck a deal due to a pissed off sponsor and Yamaha offering a deal.
But in that story, the dad judges they ended up with better deal. Where in America is this bad?
DonM
8/17/2022 3:19pm
RCMXracing wrote:
As DonM points out the TMZ YouTube person(s) tossing out the Vid with one side only for sure brought out the pitch forks, but what does...
As DonM points out the TMZ YouTube person(s) tossing out the Vid with one side only for sure brought out the pitch forks, but what does that say about the Moto masses opinion of the Deegan’s?

Is there innate bias against the Deegan’s? If so why is that? Would like some opinions. What if it was different rider with an image similar to Dungey? Would the mob still be attacking?
It would have been controversial and it definitely would have caused discussion but not at the level it did because Kooksey wouldn't have done what he did....but because it was the Deegan's is why Kooksey did what he did...he knew who's coattails to get on to get the most views and clicks which financially benefits him...Thats why he titled it about the Deegan's cheating instead of about the claim....and the mob dove in head first and attacked anyone that had a different view....some people actually said some pretty nasty stuff to those that didn't share their view...it was sad showing for humanity on this site this week....Thanks to ML, Weege and Matthis for putting all the facts out there so people could see all sides...
ctbale
8/17/2022 3:32pm Edited Date/Time 8/17/2022 5:16pm
rc51 wrote:
Steve,

Matthes wrote:

Kid made one of the most controversial mx claims ever, on a yamaha, that everyone knows is taboo, and Yamaha USA is sitting there offering the kid free engines hours after the claim........

......and matthes says it dont matter.
stremme12
Fantasy
3700th
8/17/2022 3:33pm Edited Date/Time 8/17/2022 8:15pm
stremme12 wrote:
You're saying it doesn't matter but in reality it's quite possibly the whole entire truth to the story. Kids Dad knows his Canadian dealership sponsor is...

But in that story, the dad judges they ended up with better deal. Where in America is this bad?
Sounds like a decent deal to me. Unfortunately we don't know that that's exactly what happened since Luce denies any sort of deal and no one tried to question his response.
8/17/2022 3:38pm
stremme12 wrote:

stremme12 wrote:
Sounds like a decent deal to me. Unfortunately we don't know that that's exactly what happened since Luce denies any sort of deal and no one...
Sounds like a decent deal to me. Unfortunately we don't know that that's exactly what happened since Luce denies any sort of deal and no one tried to question his response.
You know what’s an even better deal?
A star factory bike for $17k
Shit, I would pay 17k for a star bike, like right fucking now.. take my money!!
Sandusky26
8/17/2022 4:30pm
Rickyisms wrote:
I can’t believe Brian fucking Deegan stooped to the level of posting those screenshots on his Instagram story 🤦🏻‍♂️
Sandusky26 wrote:
I can’t believe a 50 something year old asked a teenager if he was trying to defame him on YouTube.

I’m thinking he would have to fight Deegan.

YouTube Deegan is way gnarlier than FMX Deegan.
Adam43
8/17/2022 5:26pm
Ultimately, it is Cotter who lost control and bungled this mess.

It is telling that Cotter initially handled the process competently, (processing the claim and impounding the machine) before letting "important" people hustle and bribe both himself and the rider until it was rescinded. Almost like it's a learned behavior.

As noted earlier in the thread, the rulebook states Cotter would be within his rights to DQ and suspend Deegan for allowing his crew to circumvent the claiming process.

Strains of operational incompetence seem to be growing within MX Sports, and it may be time for some of Coombs' trusted lieutenants to fall on their sword.

KurtJ99
Fantasy
682nd
8/17/2022 6:11pm
From the ML interview with Cotter I think he is a straight up guy .... but.....
Bringing in Deegan to talk to Brennan was completely wrong, and he didn't seem to understand that in the interview.
Deegan's going to be pissed. He's gonna try to berate Brennan into rescinding his claim. When that didn't work, he is going to tell his inner circle what is going on and pressure Brennan to rescind. I agree the presumption that Yamaha was directly involved is unproven, but certainly they could have called Brennan's sponsor and told him NOT to punish Brennan because it would be bad for Yamaha to have any assumption of undue influence. It is less damage for Yamaha to have their bike claimed and Deegan upset, than the bad press they are getting now for the assumption of pressure to drop the sponsor.
So I hereby find Yamaha corp guilty - of something - either being the bad guy or not being the good guy. Sitting on the sidelines didn't happen, IMO. I'll ignore the crate motor deal since as Steve said that was separate.
monkeybut417
8/17/2022 6:24pm
I have been a lurker of this forum and a pulp fan for a long time. This whole damn thing stinks. I 100% think the engine builder was behind this but that fact is irrelevant. Steve’s actions through this whole thing have been so disappointing. It will hard for me to listen to his show going forward.
TeamGreen
8/17/2022 6:28pm
Steve comes in here and tries his damnedest to explain himself and gets a goalies ration of shit for it.

In the end…?

I think it’s pretty damn cool. More power to him.

Now, let’s be clear, his no good Tim Horton Coffee loving and Poutine Eating Big White Canuck-Hockey Fan Ass still owes me an apology for that one time he called me mean names and stole the puck at Hockey Camp…but…I’m seriously NOT seeing any reason to put him on the “Fuck That Guy” list.

I reserve the right to change my mind if he doesn’t volunteer to work in the Canadian MXoN pits as the Team Cocktail Coordinator.

That is all.

Signed,

The Far-Nor-Cal Division of Old Guys Rule Moto
8/17/2022 6:44pm
Sandusky26 wrote:

Sandusky26 wrote:
I’m thinking he would have to fight Deegan.

YouTube Deegan is way gnarlier than FMX Deegan.
Seems fair. I'll take the kid by sub in the later rounds.
Roczoff
8/17/2022 6:45pm
Does anyone dispute that everyone in Yamaha's camp put as much pressure as possible on everyone in Brennan's camp to get him to drop the claim...

A completely legal and reasonable claim. Nobody tricked Star and Yamaha into building a bike far more expensive that 2x MSRP. They gambled, and should have lost.

But pressure on the dealer and kid to make their lives unpleasant changed all that. That Deegan-friend D-bag who called into Pulp reminded me of how ugly people are, even over things that should be fun, like dirt bikes.

Post a reply to: Things I took away from the pulp interviews..

The Latest