Things I took away from the pulp interviews..

USA
Fantasy
428th
8/16/2022 4:51pm
Cotter mentioned when Brennan came back to rescind the claim that other people were in the room amd the room got silent. Cotter claims he "does not recall" if Brennan said that "if it were up to me, I wouldn't be dropping this".

If there were multiple people and the room was quiet, can anyone corroborate either of these statements? Sounds like someone would have heard what was said and we can get a better answer than "I don't recall"

Magoofan
Shadow Glen (for those who remember), CA US
8/16/2022 5:11pm Edited Date/Time 8/16/2022 5:15pm
I don't understand how Matthes arrives at his conclusions; the logic he uses really doesn't make sense. After watching all of these interviews (Brennan just did...
I don't understand how Matthes arrives at his conclusions; the logic he uses really doesn't make sense.

After watching all of these interviews (Brennan just did one with Johnny Hopper) it's pretty obvious that Matt and Donnie are lying.

Matt seems to be outright lying about the event, and Donnie probably lying by omission.

The wild-card is the dealer sponsor, but I get the impression the kid probably isn't "squeaky clean", but his story sure seems believable to me, and it hasn't materially changed at all over the ~5 times he's told it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bztoQI_ZajA
I'm not familiar with Hopper....his interview skills are not that great. He spoke too much and didn't let the kid talk enough. ...and what was with the "motivational tutorials". WTF.

That said..... the point about Brian Deegan putting out the fake comments (Brennan calling Hiaden a pussy etc).....that's pretty f***king low man.

Douche move level 10.

Admittedly, I don't really know much about Haiden Deegan....but I hope he doesn't end up like his old man.

The dealer pulling the bikes back from Brennan..... I loathe cancel culture.... but in this case, it's deserved....I hope his business suffers.
budlong802
8/16/2022 5:28pm
USA wrote:
Cotter mentioned when Brennan came back to rescind the claim that other people were in the room amd the room got silent. Cotter claims he "does...
Cotter mentioned when Brennan came back to rescind the claim that other people were in the room amd the room got silent. Cotter claims he "does not recall" if Brennan said that "if it were up to me, I wouldn't be dropping this".

If there were multiple people and the room was quiet, can anyone corroborate either of these statements? Sounds like someone would have heard what was said and we can get a better answer than "I don't recall"

Cotter and AMA Mike both said they asked Brennan if it was his choice to withdraw the claim. Cotter said when asked Brennan just said yes but when AMA Mike asked him.he said Brennan him-hawed around before he answered. So I believe the him-haw was really an I don't want to withdraw it but I am
8/16/2022 5:29pm
I don't understand how Matthes arrives at his conclusions; the logic he uses really doesn't make sense. After watching all of these interviews (Brennan just did...
I don't understand how Matthes arrives at his conclusions; the logic he uses really doesn't make sense.

After watching all of these interviews (Brennan just did one with Johnny Hopper) it's pretty obvious that Matt and Donnie are lying.

Matt seems to be outright lying about the event, and Donnie probably lying by omission.

The wild-card is the dealer sponsor, but I get the impression the kid probably isn't "squeaky clean", but his story sure seems believable to me, and it hasn't materially changed at all over the ~5 times he's told it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bztoQI_ZajA
Magoofan wrote:
I'm not familiar with Hopper....his interview skills are not that great. He spoke too much and didn't let the kid talk enough. ...and what was with...
I'm not familiar with Hopper....his interview skills are not that great. He spoke too much and didn't let the kid talk enough. ...and what was with the "motivational tutorials". WTF.

That said..... the point about Brian Deegan putting out the fake comments (Brennan calling Hiaden a pussy etc).....that's pretty f***king low man.

Douche move level 10.

Admittedly, I don't really know much about Haiden Deegan....but I hope he doesn't end up like his old man.

The dealer pulling the bikes back from Brennan..... I loathe cancel culture.... but in this case, it's deserved....I hope his business suffers.
It already is.

The Shop

USA
Fantasy
428th
8/16/2022 5:32pm
USA wrote:
Cotter mentioned when Brennan came back to rescind the claim that other people were in the room amd the room got silent. Cotter claims he "does...

budlong802 wrote:
Cotter and AMA Mike both said they asked Brennan if it was his choice to withdraw the claim. Cotter said when asked Brennan just said yes...
Cotter and AMA Mike both said they asked Brennan if it was his choice to withdraw the claim. Cotter said when asked Brennan just said yes but when AMA Mike asked him.he said Brennan him-hawed around before he answered. So I believe the him-haw was really an I don't want to withdraw it but I am
I tend to agree about what Mike said, he mentioned the kid looked visibly upset (red flag), but that he didn't inquire as to why. When asked if Brennan came up with the idea on his own, there was "hemming and hawing", but he ultimately said "yes" TWICE. Why would they have to ask twice if he was giving a convincing answer?

TeamGreen
8/16/2022 5:44pm
Well, if I had 2 Yamaha crate motors...
And my "sponsoring dealer" just went and shit on me...
And I had $17,000 US in my pocket...
Oh, and...I'm in Canada?

I'd buy a coupl'a clean used late-model YZ250Fs and ONE New one...probably a '23 at that.

I'd buy the used ones from someone like MX101 or some other source where I know they have some bikes in good shape.

Or...if I'd had my fill of the Blue-Folks...?
And I was a skilled mechanic like this kid apparently is...?

I'd get a coupl'a used late model YZ-Fs for a deal/probably blown up or in need of engine work...make them look REAL NICE...and sell them with new motors...take that money & the residual from my $17,000 & buy 2 GasGas 250s and 1 GasGas 450 (He needs all of that for his racing in Canada and down here). Why GasGas? Well, they seem to be very cost-effective...in the long run. Oh, and, GasGas has done a real good job up in Canada...their 2 teams up there have accomplished a lot on fairly tight budgets. I like that.
gerg
8/16/2022 6:08pm
Magoofan wrote:
I'm not familiar with Hopper....his interview skills are not that great. He spoke too much and didn't let the kid talk enough. ...and what was with...

Douche move level 10.

WTF?

Brian Deegan really put out fake comments? Are you talking about social media comments here?
If true that's some next level BS coming from the guy so worried about "being defamed"...doing a great of job of that all by himself.

Far out!!!
FlaNard
8/16/2022 6:32pm
Matthes wrote:
This is what someone says that doesn't have any reasonable counterpoint to an explanation. You could have just sent me a GIF of a baby with...
This is what someone says that doesn't have any reasonable counterpoint to an explanation. You could have just sent me a GIF of a baby with his fingers in his ears.
FlaNard wrote:
This is what a last gasp post from a fraud sounds like. Brought to you by Yamaha of course. Nothing to see here.
Matthes wrote:
Sorry I interrupted you grabbing the torches and pitch forks to actually talk to all the sides involved in this.
Your credibility is getting absolutely destroyed the more you defend your laughable position. Keep going Steve. More videos! More interviews! Vital is supposed to be your fanbase and they seem to be turning on you in droves. You’re doing great!
tripleup05
8/16/2022 7:14pm
I’m a dummy, so forgive me, but why the hell was Matt Walker so emotionally invested in this? So he said it was his obligation to tell his client it’s a bad move. Fine. But apparently it went well beyond that. Why did Walker flip on his longtime client and white knight on Yamaha/Star/Deegan/whoever’s behalf?
8/16/2022 7:18pm Edited Date/Time 8/16/2022 7:19pm
tripleup05 wrote:
I’m a dummy, so forgive me, but why the hell was Matt Walker so emotionally invested in this? So he said it was his obligation to...
I’m a dummy, so forgive me, but why the hell was Matt Walker so emotionally invested in this? So he said it was his obligation to tell his client it’s a bad move. Fine. But apparently it went well beyond that. Why did Walker flip on his longtime client and white knight on Yamaha/Star/Deegan/whoever’s behalf?
Nobody is saying what Matt's motivation was, and that's likely something we'll never know.

It's interesting how Matt paints it as though it was a heartfelt mentoring conversation over a difficult moral dilemma, meanwhile it really seems like he was trying to fight an engine builder lol.

He was motivated by something for sure though.
8/16/2022 7:27pm
Wouldn't you love if the kid's dad recorded that private conversation between himself and the sponsor that resulted in them rescinded the claim?

That's the big question here...... what did the sponsor say to make them change their minds.

That would answer so many of the other questions about how this all went down.

Seems to me there's was either some kind of threat (not physical)......some kind of, "If-then" promise/offer/bribe.....or plea that convinced the dad to rescind the claim especially when it could very easily be inferred from how worried and concerned the various parties were that the bike was worth way more in $, intellectual property, trade secrets etc. than they had any idea of when they initially put the claim in.
mxjeff575
8/16/2022 7:33pm
tripleup05 wrote:
I’m a dummy, so forgive me, but why the hell was Matt Walker so emotionally invested in this? So he said it was his obligation to...
Nobody is saying what Matt's motivation was, and that's likely something we'll never know. It's interesting how Matt paints it as though it was a heartfelt...
Nobody is saying what Matt's motivation was, and that's likely something we'll never know.

It's interesting how Matt paints it as though it was a heartfelt mentoring conversation over a difficult moral dilemma, meanwhile it really seems like he was trying to fight an engine builder lol.

He was motivated by something for sure though.
Copied this image from a post on the previous page. Looks like Walker and Luce have gotten tight. (I realize this could just be a coincidence just crazy timing though, lol).

8/16/2022 7:40pm Edited Date/Time 8/16/2022 7:40pm
mxjeff575 wrote:
Copied this image from a post on the previous page. Looks like Walker and Luce have gotten tight. (I realize this could just be a coincidence...
Copied this image from a post on the previous page. Looks like Walker and Luce have gotten tight. (I realize this could just be a coincidence just crazy timing though, lol).

I think that photo is pretty old, because I can't find it after a ~5 minute search on his instagram page.

The closest thing I found was a picture of a Yamaha water pump from 115 weeks ago. He posts a lot on Instagram, so I didn't feel like digging up anything that was 2+ years old.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
8/16/2022 7:46pm
I think that photo is pretty old, because I can't find it after a ~5 minute search on his instagram page. The closest thing I found...
I think that photo is pretty old, because I can't find it after a ~5 minute search on his instagram page.

The closest thing I found was a picture of a Yamaha water pump from 115 weeks ago. He posts a lot on Instagram, so I didn't feel like digging up anything that was 2+ years old.
June 30th 2020 is when it was posted
mxjeff575
8/16/2022 7:46pm
mxjeff575 wrote:
Copied this image from a post on the previous page. Looks like Walker and Luce have gotten tight. (I realize this could just be a coincidence...

I think that photo is pretty old, because I can't find it after a ~5 minute search on his instagram page. The closest thing I found...

Good point. Like I said, I copied it from a post on the previous page.
GangGreen
8/16/2022 7:52pm
Formula 1 would supeena the cell phone records from all involved. Especially Donnie Luce, the dealer,,and Matt Walker who appear to be lying. AMA Pro Racing and MX Sports will do nothing. DV is correct, move along.....
Matthes
8/16/2022 8:31pm
Graybeard wrote:
Steve, you guys were all on Disability Island last night sticking carrots in your ears with all of your poor takes and angles on how this...
Steve, you guys were all on Disability Island last night sticking carrots in your ears with all of your poor takes and angles on how this wasn't Yamaha's, AMA's and / or MX Sports' fault. You guys cashed in a shit ton of credibility with your listener base (of which I am one and still will be), but you cannot try and ride the fence on this without taking one up the ole arse. At least JT maintained his credibility. But you and Keefer are way too tight with Yamaha to cover this even remotely proper; all you did was use your platform, your show, to provide top cover for your sponsor and your employer, so please don't expect your fans to be accepting of the BS. Actually, we expected better from you; you just blew this one badly.
Graybeard, I didn't have an angle that this wasn't anyone's fault. I said Cotter should have never invited kid back (that's MX Sports who is Racer X who is my employer so I don't see where as you say, I covered for them), I said Deegan's defenses weren't valid, doesn't matter where the kid got the money from. I said he should have the bike over and over.

I simply see some inconsistencies in this kids story who seems like a good kid but the initial claims of Yamaha blocking this dealership's support have, I think, been blown apart. If he didn't know for sure, he shouldn't have said that. It's very damaging and for proof of that, see all the people burying Yamaha for this. He got some motors out of this, (either for dropping the claim or after he dropped his claim-that's unclear) & shook hands on it. He never mentioned the motors until much later, why?

DonM
8/16/2022 8:44pm
FlaNard wrote:
This is what a last gasp post from a fraud sounds like. Brought to you by Yamaha of course. Nothing to see here.
Matthes wrote:
Sorry I interrupted you grabbing the torches and pitch forks to actually talk to all the sides involved in this.
FlaNard wrote:
Your credibility is getting absolutely destroyed the more you defend your laughable position. Keep going Steve. More videos! More interviews! Vital is supposed to be your...
Your credibility is getting absolutely destroyed the more you defend your laughable position. Keep going Steve. More videos! More interviews! Vital is supposed to be your fanbase and they seem to be turning on you in droves. You’re doing great!
You have your opinion and he has his...This whole mob mentality that nobody can have a different opinion is mind blowing to me....that's my opinion...
holyroller1
Fantasy
350th
8/16/2022 8:44pm
Graybeard wrote:
Steve, you guys were all on Disability Island last night sticking carrots in your ears with all of your poor takes and angles on how this...
Steve, you guys were all on Disability Island last night sticking carrots in your ears with all of your poor takes and angles on how this wasn't Yamaha's, AMA's and / or MX Sports' fault. You guys cashed in a shit ton of credibility with your listener base (of which I am one and still will be), but you cannot try and ride the fence on this without taking one up the ole arse. At least JT maintained his credibility. But you and Keefer are way too tight with Yamaha to cover this even remotely proper; all you did was use your platform, your show, to provide top cover for your sponsor and your employer, so please don't expect your fans to be accepting of the BS. Actually, we expected better from you; you just blew this one badly.
Matthes wrote:
Graybeard, I didn't have an angle that this wasn't anyone's fault. I said Cotter should have never invited kid back (that's MX Sports who is Racer...
Graybeard, I didn't have an angle that this wasn't anyone's fault. I said Cotter should have never invited kid back (that's MX Sports who is Racer X who is my employer so I don't see where as you say, I covered for them), I said Deegan's defenses weren't valid, doesn't matter where the kid got the money from. I said he should have the bike over and over.

I simply see some inconsistencies in this kids story who seems like a good kid but the initial claims of Yamaha blocking this dealership's support have, I think, been blown apart. If he didn't know for sure, he shouldn't have said that. It's very damaging and for proof of that, see all the people burying Yamaha for this. He got some motors out of this, (either for dropping the claim or after he dropped his claim-that's unclear) & shook hands on it. He never mentioned the motors until much later, why?

So you didn't see inconsistencies in the other parties statements? Or do you only care about the kids inconsistencies?
Matthes
8/16/2022 9:00pm
So you didn't see inconsistencies in the other parties statements? Or do you only care about the kids inconsistencies?
Yes, of course I do. But the general feeling out there is this kid got intimidated, Yamaha sucks and he's the innocent party in this. He's got some inconsistencies in his story that maybe, just maybe we shouldn't be so quick to bury the one side (which I feel has been done)...

He made claim, Matt Walker, dealer told him it's not a good look to do this in their opinion. He dropped claim (seemingly w/o threats), got motors, dealer said no one from Yamaha called him to threaten anything.

What's wrong with the above?
holyroller1
Fantasy
350th
8/16/2022 9:14pm
Matthes wrote:
Yes, of course I do. But the general feeling out there is this kid got intimidated, Yamaha sucks and he's the innocent party in this. He's...
Yes, of course I do. But the general feeling out there is this kid got intimidated, Yamaha sucks and he's the innocent party in this. He's got some inconsistencies in his story that maybe, just maybe we shouldn't be so quick to bury the one side (which I feel has been done)...

He made claim, Matt Walker, dealer told him it's not a good look to do this in their opinion. He dropped claim (seemingly w/o threats), got motors, dealer said no one from Yamaha called him to threaten anything.

Nothing technically wrong with the above.

The point is... there are more inconsistencies from the side which "should" be there to protect the rider. "He called me at the track vs he called me on the way to wherever." You need to listen to the ML interviews and compare them to your interview. You will find the discrepancies if you care to.

I never said Yamaha sucks. Hell I ride a 2016 YZ250 and 2019 450. Not that this matter, just saying.

I don't put this on Yamaha corp. However, to ignore the kid got intimidated is pure ignorance.
rc51
Fantasy
175th
8/16/2022 9:15pm
Matthes wrote:
Yes, of course I do. But the general feeling out there is this kid got intimidated, Yamaha sucks and he's the innocent party in this. He's...

"Yes, of course I do"

So what are the inconsistencies?
early
Fantasy
2212th
8/16/2022 9:36pm
The thing that sucks about all this is its just another example of the claiming rule being in the rulebook but it's not a real rule, it's just an inside joke because the ama and mxsports and anyone else that's tasked with enforcing the rules just let's the big factories and teams fuck with and fuck over anyone that would go and use the rule.

The claiming rule is there so that at the US AMATEUR NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP speed is earned, not bought. Meanwhile, every hotshot kid that came out the US amateur system in the last decade is getting his ass smoked in the pros except 2, and those 2 weren't even the most notable amateurs in their day.
8tensolutions
8/16/2022 9:48pm Edited Date/Time 8/16/2022 9:48pm
How about we get all of them on a zoom call together? Cotter, Brennan, Yamaha rep, Walker, Brennan's Dad, AMA rep, and Derek Harris. Wouldn't this eliminate any heresay?
ctbale
8/16/2022 10:04pm Edited Date/Time 8/16/2022 10:05pm
Criss entered walkers pit pretty pissed, grabbed dad, went off to have a "come to jesus", criss either said. HOLY SHIT DAD, I AM GOING TO LOOSE MY STEELERSHIP OVER THIS AND THAT MEANS NO BIKES FOR BRENNAN DROP THE CLAIM! or. YOUR FUCKING ME, LOOKS BAD, DROP THE CLAIM OR I AM PULLING THE BIKES. My guess its the first one cuz Criss is a pussy by the sound of the statement he left ML512. Oh yea, Donnie and Matt are scum for texting Brennan to come to matt's pit to try to intimidated him to drop the claim.
8/16/2022 10:32pm
I cannot believe this story has this much traction as it has, cheating is everywhere Star was caught with their pants down on the bike they decided to run and not expecting someone to claim their bike. I bet if that second motor was already in the bike the claim would have went through.
dkurtd
8/16/2022 10:41pm
Graybeard wrote:
Matthes wrote:
Graybeard, I didn't have an angle that this wasn't anyone's fault. I said Cotter should have never invited kid back (that's MX Sports who is Racer...

The bigger question is why did Luce offer up motors and a ride at the GoatFarm in the first place? It was payoff to squash the claim, you can't paint that any differently. Does Yamaha (Luce) walk the pits giving motors away to just anybody? The kid isn't damaging Yamaha, Luce is, and corporate Yamaha should look into his actions.

If you believe Luce and Walker's stories are more credible than Brennan's, then you're part of the problem.

I won't even go into the spineless sponsor.
ctbale
8/16/2022 11:00pm
Graybeard wrote:
Matthes wrote:

dkurtd wrote:
The bigger question is why did Luce offer up motors and a ride at the GoatFarm in the first place? It was payoff to squash the...
The bigger question is why did Luce offer up motors and a ride at the GoatFarm in the first place? It was payoff to squash the claim, you can't paint that any differently. Does Yamaha (Luce) walk the pits giving motors away to just anybody? The kid isn't damaging Yamaha, Luce is, and corporate Yamaha should look into his actions.

If you believe Luce and Walker's stories are more credible than Brennan's, then you're part of the problem.

I won't even go into the spineless sponsor.
"Thanks for joining us today yamaha donnie, and i apologize for you getting dragged into this mess (your highness)"
Magoofan
Shadow Glen (for those who remember), CA US
8/16/2022 11:14pm
Listening to the show tonight.... Steve, you couldn't be more in the bag for Yamaha. Saying "the kid should have the bike" doesn't change the fact that he DOESN'T.

It's blatantly clear what happened here....these people can spew "nicey" words all day long...the viewers/fans weren't born yesterday. The kid was beaten into submission and completely screwed.

As for the dealer storyline....we all know dealers are always 100% honest. lol We don't call them "stealers" for nothing. Not to mention, the dealer is scum for dropping the kid over this....

There are red flags all over Walker and he isn't credible AT ALL.

A caller calls in with "Brennan told me it was his engine builders idea and money". Uh huh....sounds like a current FBI tactic.

Attacking Ping and GL for pulling no punches was beyond laughable (Ping having Yamaha as a sponsor even). Kudos to them for calling like it is.

I'm a lifelong fan of Yamaha, I've only owned YZs back when I rode/raced MX. Pretty disgusted with Yamaha after what's transpired here.

Post a reply to: Things I took away from the pulp interviews..

The Latest