Things I took away from the pulp interviews..

8/16/2022 4:23am Edited Date/Time 8/17/2022 8:15pm
So it seems like everyone is calling everyone else a liar, which is to be expected, but I picked up on a few subtle things during the interviews.

Donnie from Yamaha said that in the room everyone got a little heated and there was a lot of emotion.. That sounds like a nice way of saying people were arguing and yelling.

Matt walker said he was trying to advise Brennan of what he thought was was in his best interests, yet was already in the room with Deegan etc before the “meeting”

Walker basically denies everything and passes the blame to everyone else and comes off sounding like he is full of shit..

People are trying to use the engine builder guy as a scapegoat or question the money, which is completely irrelevant..

No one interviewed was taking any kind of responsibility, it was all up to someone else..

JT was the only one with the balls to speak up about what was relevant and not.

Painful listen.
|
wolf18
8/16/2022 4:43am
This is the problem with this sport. It’s so small and intertwined. You think maybe in the back of keefer’s mind he thinking, if I piss off yamaha will they not give me bikes to test? You think Matthes is thinking, if I piss off Yamaha I might lose a sponsor or I might not get a free personal bike for the year? Maybe this isn’t true, but it all looks bad when you step back and think about it. 🤷‍♂️
Madmax31
8/16/2022 5:02am
wolf18 wrote:
This is the problem with this sport. It’s so small and intertwined. You think maybe in the back of keefer’s mind he thinking, if I piss...
This is the problem with this sport. It’s so small and intertwined. You think maybe in the back of keefer’s mind he thinking, if I piss off yamaha will they not give me bikes to test? You think Matthes is thinking, if I piss off Yamaha I might lose a sponsor or I might not get a free personal bike for the year? Maybe this isn’t true, but it all looks bad when you step back and think about it. 🤷‍♂️
The part that is really sad for me is Keefer. I really thought of him as a really good guy with a lot of integrity.
kage173
8/16/2022 5:06am
How was the interview with the kid who actually made the claim? And how was the interview with his Dad or the motor builder?

The Shop

MxKing809
8/16/2022 5:08am
PulpMX, brought to you by Yamaha…. Doing investigative journalism on MxSports (his employer) which is also brought to you by Yamaha. Look around their trailers and pit setups….lots of blue sxs and gennys: almost exclusive you could say.

This whole thing is a joke now. Openly admit that offers were made for parts in kind, and in the very next breath say it wasn’t related to the claim. GTF out of here.

It’s so painfully obvious what happened, and no one will ever cop to it.

Hey, if bribes were made to circumvent the rule AT Loretta’s, isn’t it safe to assume new bribes have been made to cool all this down in the past week?!
Sideways91
8/16/2022 6:05am
MxKing809 wrote:
PulpMX, brought to you by Yamaha…. Doing investigative journalism on MxSports (his employer) which is also brought to you by Yamaha. Look around their trailers and...
PulpMX, brought to you by Yamaha…. Doing investigative journalism on MxSports (his employer) which is also brought to you by Yamaha. Look around their trailers and pit setups….lots of blue sxs and gennys: almost exclusive you could say.

This whole thing is a joke now. Openly admit that offers were made for parts in kind, and in the very next breath say it wasn’t related to the claim. GTF out of here.

Hey, if bribes were made to circumvent the rule AT Loretta’s, isn’t it safe to assume new bribes have been made to cool all this down in the past week?!
Yamaha snitched on themselves, which per the rules would suspend Haiden from AMA competition for a year.
MxKing809
8/16/2022 6:24am
MxKing809 wrote:
PulpMX, brought to you by Yamaha…. Doing investigative journalism on MxSports (his employer) which is also brought to you by Yamaha. Look around their trailers and...

Sideways91 wrote:
Yamaha snitched on themselves, which per the rules would suspend Haiden from AMA competition for a year.
NO. NO. NO!

Burkeen himself has stated that the rule only applies if Haiden himself is doing the dirty work to discourage the claim….

See:

So I’ll do your job for you Mike:

“…Riders are responsible for the actions of their families and crew members.”

(Even left the page number in there for ya)

8/16/2022 6:29am
MxKing809 wrote:

Steve said the bike should have been given to Brennan !! Of course Steve has to protect his income, would you not do the same thing ?
MxKing809
8/16/2022 6:32am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2022 6:33am
MxKing809 wrote:

Steve said the bike should have been given to Brennan !! Of course Steve has to protect his income, would you not do the same thing...
Steve said the bike should have been given to Brennan !! Of course Steve has to protect his income, would you not do the same thing ?
I probably would have recused myself like Blair did, but who knows, I’m not in Steve’s shoes. We all have to do things from time to time we would prefer not to in order to keep the lights on, I get it….. but don’t play it off like it’s settled.
fourfourone
8/16/2022 6:43am
Here is my take.

Derrick Harris and Matt Walker are both clowns

Luce Offered Race motors to Brennan if he stopped the claim.

Vital MX puts way to much belief in what a 17 year old says.
(the fact his dad wasn't there is mind blowing)
8/16/2022 6:51am
wolf18 wrote:
This is the problem with this sport. It’s so small and intertwined. You think maybe in the back of keefer’s mind he thinking, if I piss...
Madmax31 wrote:
The part that is really sad for me is Keefer. I really thought of him as a really good guy with a lot of integrity.
Yup
davis224
8/16/2022 7:22am
Before listening I thought a lot of people in here were overreacting, but man was his interview with Donnie a Yamaha commercial. He gave him an answer with each question to where Donnie just had to say "yep that's right." It was painfully ironic when they were done asking him questions and Steve started reminiscing about the good ol' days with Donnie and 3 wheelers. I thought his takes in the Unadilla review pod were fine, but that felt like a scripted "interview" to me.
Johnny Ringo
8/16/2022 7:27am
Why was Luce offering motors in exchange for dropping the claim? Are they really that afraid of someone getting a Star bike? Just let the kid have it.
Natester551v
8/16/2022 7:31am
MxKing809 wrote:

I don't believe there are any outright bribes, but conflicts of interest and "buying influence" are certainly pervasive in this industry. I had a very close up look at this when I associated with a (now defunct) moto magazine. Virtually all print or digital MX rags are essentially advertising platforms for the manufacturers, which is why you will almost never see them come right out and say something is junk. Some are way worse (TWMX and SML come to mind) than others (I think MXA does the most thorough job, and Dirt Rider under Jimmy Lewis was also very thorough).
8/16/2022 7:31am
It's ridiculous that "motivation" for buying is even brought up. This is exactly what the rule is for. It's pretty obvious they went the intimidation route. I hope someone claims every Yamaha star's bike from now till eternity
ARM670
8/16/2022 7:47am
It's ridiculous that "motivation" for buying is even brought up. This is exactly what the rule is for. It's pretty obvious they went the intimidation route...
It's ridiculous that "motivation" for buying is even brought up. This is exactly what the rule is for. It's pretty obvious they went the intimidation route. I hope someone claims every Yamaha star's bike from now till eternity
exactly, you don't have to have state motivation to make a claim. The sad thing is it sure seems alot of adults are mad because Star gave Deegan a factory motor in an amateur race. I personally don't fault Haiden, but the adults are not behaving correctly. This is amateur racing and its getting a really big black eye. On a side note when Guy Cooper said how Rita treated him about wanting a national? Sure seems very legit that Mxsports was shitty with him.
hellion
8/16/2022 7:57am
Pretty sickening but why would we expect our moto media to be any more truthful than the media is in every other arena? If you listen you can hear and feel the sponsorship ties in the way that they call into question Brennans motives, and even question his truthfulness. The ‘adults’ interviews come off as less than truthful.

JT, who has no horse in the race, sounds like he gets it and isn’t afraid to say what he thinks.

Lastly, please stop questioning about the motor builder. It doesn’t matter where the kid got the money, or why he wants the bike. If he wants to give it to Stars competition for free that’s completely within his rights.
USA
8/16/2022 8:01am
MxKing809 wrote:

Sideways91 wrote:
MxKing809 wrote:
NO. NO. NO! Burkeen himself has stated that the rule only applies if Haiden himself is doing the dirty work to discourage the claim…. See: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/08/16/564216/s1200_99A7020A_BA60_4C90_A35F_CF4C6CDA8F44.jpg[/img]...
NO. NO. NO!

Burkeen himself has stated that the rule only applies if Haiden himself is doing the dirty work to discourage the claim….

See:

So I’ll do your job for you Mike:

“…Riders are responsible for the actions of their families and crew members.”

(Even left the page number in there for ya)

I could not believe I read what Mike said, and thank you MxKing809 for laying out the rulebook. This whole situation is tainted with crookedness from how it was handled by the 'professionals' and 'officials' involved.

I never thought I'd see an AMA guy painting grey areas in their own rulebook. What's the point of the rules if the people enforcing them find their own loopholes?
DonM
8/16/2022 8:08am
MxKing809 wrote:

Steve said the bike should have been given to Brennan !! Of course Steve has to protect his income, would you not do the same thing...
MxKing809 wrote:
I probably would have recused myself like Blair did, but who knows, I’m not in Steve’s shoes. We all have to do things from time to...
I probably would have recused myself like Blair did, but who knows, I’m not in Steve’s shoes. We all have to do things from time to time we would prefer not to in order to keep the lights on, I get it….. but don’t play it off like it’s settled.
Blair probably recused himself because he is now the KTM/Husky/GasGas amateur team coordinator....

Pit Row

MPJC
8/16/2022 8:37am
It's ridiculous that "motivation" for buying is even brought up. This is exactly what the rule is for. It's pretty obvious they went the intimidation route...
Exactly. This is only even being discussed because of people muddying things to make excuses. This isn't more complicated than it seems (sorry, Sore Loser) - it's actually quite straightforward when you strip away all of the irrelevancies.
FlaNard
8/16/2022 8:41am
So it seems like everyone is calling everyone else a liar, which is to be expected, but I picked up on a few subtle things during...
So it seems like everyone is calling everyone else a liar, which is to be expected, but I picked up on a few subtle things during the interviews.

Donnie from Yamaha said that in the room everyone got a little heated and there was a lot of emotion.. That sounds like a nice way of saying people were arguing and yelling.

Matt walker said he was trying to advise Brennan of what he thought was was in his best interests, yet was already in the room with Deegan etc before the “meeting”

Walker basically denies everything and passes the blame to everyone else and comes off sounding like he is full of shit..

People are trying to use the engine builder guy as a scapegoat or question the money, which is completely irrelevant..

No one interviewed was taking any kind of responsibility, it was all up to someone else..

Painful listen.
Well said.
8/16/2022 8:49am
Mathes' questions to the Yamaha rep. we're uncomfortably leading and come across as just helping support the Yamaha narrative.

It de-valued the entire discussion with Donny L. to the point that if I were Donny I'd be a bit upset about it.
8/16/2022 8:51am
So it seems like everyone is calling everyone else a liar, which is to be expected, but I picked up on a few subtle things during...

Painful listen.
Pretty much spot on. The kid was obviously bullied but everyone knows where their best interests lie.
wvumounty
8/16/2022 8:52am
Why do some people (Steve) want the price of a claimed bike increased? That would deter more people from claiming a bike rather than others modding a bike to the max.
How about make the claim price less than 2x msrp and see what these riders can really do on a bike closer to stock? Everyone always says “ that guy is so good he could win on a xr200”. Well let’s see who really needs the help of a modded maxed out bike and who can whoop up on a less modded bike. That would even the playing field.
ML512
8/16/2022 8:55am
wvumounty wrote:
Why do some people (Steve) want the price of a claimed bike increased? That would deter more people from claiming a bike rather than others modding...
Why do some people (Steve) want the price of a claimed bike increased? That would deter more people from claiming a bike rather than others modding a bike to the max.
How about make the claim price less than 2x msrp and see what these riders can really do on a bike closer to stock? Everyone always says “ that guy is so good he could win on a xr200”. Well let’s see who really needs the help of a modded maxed out bike and who can whoop up on a less modded bike. That would even the playing field.
After talking to Burkeen and Cotter, they mentioned they have no intention of wanting the price raised. I hope it doesn't get raised, it needs to stay accessible and keep these am teams in check.
Sideways91
8/16/2022 9:09am
wvumounty wrote:
Why do some people (Steve) want the price of a claimed bike increased? That would deter more people from claiming a bike rather than others modding...
ML512 wrote:
After talking to Burkeen and Cotter, they mentioned they have no intention of wanting the price raised. I hope it doesn't get raised, it needs to...
After talking to Burkeen and Cotter, they mentioned they have no intention of wanting the price raised. I hope it doesn't get raised, it needs to stay accessible and keep these am teams in check.
Why would they? They're not going to enforce the rule as it stands, why change it.
GD350
8/16/2022 9:17am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2022 9:18am
Definitely lost alot of respect for Keefer unfortunately, for bringing up completely irrelevant points. Thank God for JT. The whole thing was a Yamaha pr stunt. Atleast Walker admitted to threatening them though
8/16/2022 9:22am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2022 9:23am
This sport has always been filled with untrustworthy, shady, douchebags. This incident just amplified that for everyone else not deeply embedded in the incestuous world of amateur and professional motocross.

They are all barely hanging on by a thread as it is - it's no wonder these guys would sell their own mothers to protect reputations, protect championships and ultimately protect themselves.
Johnny Ringo
8/16/2022 9:24am
This sport has always been filled with untrustworthy, shady, douchebags. This incident just amplified that for everyone else not deeply embedded in the incestuous world of...
This sport has always been filled with untrustworthy, shady, douchebags. This incident just amplified that for everyone else not deeply embedded in the incestuous world of amateur and professional motocross.

They are all barely hanging on by a thread as it is - it's no wonder these guys would sell their own mothers to protect reputations, protect championships and ultimately protect themselves.
There is a cool kids table and we don’t have a seat at it
uncledaddy69
8/16/2022 9:30am
Like a lot of people here, I thought JT really shined during that episode of the podcast. He was the one to really question any contradictions/anything that didn’t make sense.

Post a reply to: Things I took away from the pulp interviews..

The Latest

The Latest