Thin vs thick grips?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/20/2021 7:01 PM

What’s y’all thoughts on the thin vs thick grip debate?

I have the super thick odi rouge grips but am considering going to thin grips as I have tiny hands and arm pump has been bad as of late.

|

11/20/2021 7:17 PM

I prefer thinner grips. I really like the Scott sx2 grips. I used to only run renthal Kevlar, but the Scott’s are quite a bit more sticky

|

11/20/2021 7:31 PM

I ran the odi rogue gloves for a while, i now run the pro taper dual compound full diamond grip and prefer them to the odi. I wear an XL glove for reference

|

11/20/2021 7:39 PM

Thick grips are more comfy off-road but give me crazy arm pump on the track

|

11/20/2021 7:41 PM

LouisianaMotocross wrote:

I have the super thick odi rouge grips but am considering going to ...more

Actually I was just the opposite. I used to love thin round grips, no waffle and would get arm pump quite often. I have switched to ODI rougue grips and love them with arm pump hardly ever anymore. Average size hands for the record.

|

11/20/2021 7:43 PM

Thin grips make my hands cramp. ODI emigs are perfect diameter for me

|

11/20/2021 7:52 PM

Renthal half waffle mediums. Lock on’s are too thick for me

|

11/20/2021 8:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/21/2021 12:36 PM

ODI emig pro’s are my perfect grip! I’m quite fussy on grips - too thick and they contribute to arm pump and too thin they hurt your hands from over-gripping.

|

11/20/2021 8:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/20/2021 9:19 PM

The best grip ever made in my opinion was the Scott thin grip. When they quit making them I bought out all the ones Tucker Rocky had in stock and ended up with a full case of them. Still use them on all my bikes.

|

Ed Johnson

11/20/2021 8:30 PM

Scott Sx2 have been my go to for a long time. Use to run renthal but wasn’t gelling with the.

|

11/20/2021 11:22 PM

Have used renthal full diamonds for like 5+years now,

But will be switching to the motion pro dirt control 2

|

When i was a child i fell in love with riding, Im getting back to that. I was 5 years old on a Z-50 christmas edition doing 2nd gear flat ground no handers for the sophmore girls walking home from the bus stop. I was hot shit. 23 years later and you better bet your ass ill still do a flatground no hander if the oppurtunity presents itself.

11/20/2021 11:45 PM

Grips are 100% personal preference; no best/worst.
That having been said, my hands prefer the Pro Grip Rallye grips.
They are on the big, cushy side.

|

11/21/2021 6:20 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/21/2021 6:21 AM

I like the renthal tapered ones. I’ve got average sized hands- M/L glove. I feel like there’s more to hang onto so I don’t have to grip as much

|

RPM Performance
CT

11/21/2021 6:55 AM

Renthal half waffle soft , or pro taper half waffle extra soft.
They don’t last long but what’s 14 dollars in this sport?!
Any ever try the renthal dual compound extra tacky ??

|

11/21/2021 7:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/21/2021 7:10 AM

People who use half waffles, do you run the waffle under the palm or where the fingers wrap? I’ve always ran mine where my fingers grip.

|

11/21/2021 7:38 AM

viking174 wrote:

Renthal half waffle soft , or pro taper half waffle extra soft.
They don’t last long but what’s 14 dollars in this sport?!
...more

Yup, I run the Renthal DC Extra Tacky. Love em' but as expected wear quick.

|

"A rule is a rule and without rules, there is Chaos"....Cosmo Kramer

11/21/2021 7:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/21/2021 7:55 AM

LouisianaMotocross wrote:

I have the super thick odi rouge grips but am considering going to ...more

We are in the same boat. Renthal diamonds I believe are the current thinnest you can get. The medium gave me blisters way more than the soft compound I am using now (I also habitually hold on tighter than I should)..

Going from half waffle to thin, I noticed no more vibration or anything like that, it was a good choice for me.

|

11/21/2021 8:30 AM

I'm really liking the neken sfh grips

|

11/21/2021 8:35 AM

So what is the thickest grip out there that would be good for off-road? When trail riding for 2+ hr rides I get a lot of pressure on the outer half of my hands and feel a thicker grip would help with that

|

11/21/2021 8:51 AM

Renthal full diamond soft for me. I have large hands but don’t like thick grips.

|

11/21/2021 9:37 AM

Scott Radial Full Waffle for me…$9.

I like to be able to feel the grips…if I can’t feel them, I grip to tight (that’s why I hated the protaper pillow top grips…I couldnt feel them-worse when they got wet-and so I was always over compensating by gripping to tight).

|

11/21/2021 9:43 AM

Thick. Been using ODI Rogue. I'd actually like a grip that is a bit wider/longer. XXL gloves for reference.

|

We are the sum of a 1,000 lives. What we know is almost nothing at all.

11/21/2021 3:00 PM

crockett wrote:

So what is the thickest grip out there that would be good for off-road? When trail riding for 2+ hr rides I get a lot of ...more

Rouge grips are super thick

|

11/21/2021 4:20 PM

wydopen wrote:

Renthal half waffle mediums. Lock on’s are too thick for me

I never understood this. Every grip has to have a throttle tube on the right and the lock ons are like having a throttle tube on the left. It could even have more rubber on the left than the throttle side because it doesn’t spin and could be tighter on the handlebars . So every throttle side is too thick for you? If not they could make a lock on just like it.

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!

11/21/2021 4:31 PM

Every time I ride a bike with thin grips, I wonder, "How does ANYBODY like this?"
The thicker, the better.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

11/21/2021 5:19 PM

Falcon wrote:

Every time I ride a bike with thin grips, I wonder, "How does ANYBODY like this?"
The thicker, the better.

That's what she said. grin

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

11/21/2021 5:56 PM

I run the ODI Rogue grips and basically never suffer from arm pump. When I have tried to go back to "normal" grips I get arm pump much easier.

I vote Rogue all the way

|

11/21/2021 7:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/21/2021 7:43 PM

I swapped to renthal med full waffle.
When my hands get nasty and mudd gets everything slick I still have crazy hand traction.
You do get hamburger hands after a few hrs but it’s better than not hanging on.
Let’s me relax my grip more therefore lessening the arm pump.

|

11/21/2021 7:58 PM

Falcon wrote:

The thicker, the better.

-MAVERICK- wrote:

That's what she said. grin

That’s what he said you mean haha

|

11/21/2021 8:12 PM

crockett wrote:

So what is the thickest grip out there that would be good for off-road? When trail riding for 2+ hr rides I get a lot of ...more

There's only one answer for off-road and all-day comfort: A'ME grips. Lots of the top Baja guys run them, they're made in the USA, and are some of the most comfortable around 👍

https://www.amegrips.com/mx-full-waffle.html

|