They're trying to scam me!

I've listed my bike on several craigslist locations for sale recently and in the last three days I've had eight to ten scam atempts.
Every one of em texts me and asks to kindly e mail them back with the final price and condition of the bike.. and when I text em back they all insisted that I e mail them and not text.. I've heard everything from I'm buying It for my dad to I'm off shore to I'm in the military stationed in Timbuktu..
The story is basically the same with every one of them...I'll meet your price and will nbe paying with pay pal and as soon as I get the money they'll send they're courier to pick up the bike....getting really sick of these obvious, very amateurish scam atempts..
.People can talk shit...threaten...act like they're better than me...Dosnt matter...dosnt bother me too much..But when you fuck with my race bike your fucking up!...

What..if anything can be done about these idiots?
|
Wildeye511
8/30/2016 10:47pm
Not sure if there is anything that you can do. Just be careful and do not hand over your bike without having money in hand. Also recommend you meet somewhere public or at a police station if that is feasible for you.
8/30/2016 10:57pm
Wildeye511 wrote:
Not sure if there is anything that you can do. Just be careful and do not hand over your bike without having money in hand. Also...
Not sure if there is anything that you can do. Just be careful and do not hand over your bike without having money in hand. Also recommend you meet somewhere public or at a police station if that is feasible for you.
I hear ya on that. I've told everyone of the legitimate possible buyers I've talked with that no test rides without the money in my hands first...No exceptions. That seems to deter A lot of folks, but oh well..
If they're serious about buying then there should be no problem with letting me hold the money while they test my bike.. Never was a problem for the buyers of my other bikes.
8/30/2016 11:04pm Edited Date/Time 8/30/2016 11:05pm
I tried to sell my rm250 on Craigslist and was inundated with calls by young black guys wanting me to bring it to them for a "test ride " lol. I won't tell you what I said in response because I don't want to be targeted for committing hate crimes lol.
Bman_145
8/30/2016 11:51pm
Ive bought and sold a few bikes on Craigslist this year without issue. Maybe its my area but I haven't had anything weird go on. One thing for sure is you have you be smart and safe dealing with strangers. Don't be talked into doing shady things.

The Shop

DanDunes818
8/31/2016 1:13am
I do a lot of buying and selling over Craigslist, in fact just posted my Apple Cinema Display, and it seems like the cut off line is $500. Anything I post over $500 brings on the scam texts. They're always the same. They copy and paste the exact post name, like "Apple Cinema Display 24" - $350 (Gaston)" and say is it still for sale. Never from my area code. And they often ask questions that have nothing to do with the item you're selling. One guy asked me if my Macbook Pro was serviced often and what the millage read. Or they ask a myriad of questions that were all answered clearly in your post.

A few times when I was bored, I took it all the way to the end just to see what happens. One guy actually transferred funds to a PayPal email that I got just 10 min before that from another guy that was trying to scam me. The other two times I gave them emails I made up so I have no clue how PayPal accepted the transfer, but once they supposedly sent the money, every 1/2 hr or so they would text me, "I sent the money, what is the address so I can send courier to pick up the item". I told them I'm waiting for the money to clear my account.. All of them used the "I trusted you, now it's your turn to trust me shit. They would even go on and on how they thought I was trying to scam him. Pinch

What blows my mind is as many of these scams there are all over the country, there must be tons of willing victims. It also blows my mind how little is ever done about it. It's got to be nearly impossible to catch and prosecute these people, but it seems like if they followed the package it would be an easy arrest.
DanDunes818
8/31/2016 1:24am
Haha.. I guess the cut off line is $350. Like I said I just posted a monitor. And they're already trying to scam me. Like I said, the first question was one that was answered clearly in my post. There's pics in the post and it says excellent condition. They first question is "What is the Condition?"

shuggs
8/31/2016 1:50am
Just had to deal with this crap, got fed up so decided to play along, numerous texts and I said I was an illegal immigrant, no bank account, no PayPal, this went on for a couple of days but stopped when I said that I had 'connections' and could pick up cash
Pirate421
8/31/2016 3:35am
Damn. This is sort of related but I'm going to be trying to sell my bike the end of this year or next spring and there have recently been a ton of break ins and bikes stolen in an area not too far from me. I almost can't post it for fear I'll be targeted for theft. The problem is the thieves are known to some people around the track and they don't care about getting caught and have been caught on game cameras and confronted and they don't care.
Indy mxer
8/31/2016 3:41am
Same for me. I put my Harley on Craigslist a few weeks ago and 20 minutes later I got a scam text.
These shit bags must just sit and wait for stuff to show up for sale.

I hate all of them!!
steveada
8/31/2016 4:27am
I just tell them I will accept cash, cash, or cash, and they usually just go away. I have also found actually calling the number and talking to them is the most important thing. 2 minutes on the phone and you can tell if they really ride and are trying to buy a bike, they are just some kid who wishes he could buy your bike but never will have the cash, or if they are just trying to scam you. If they try and hide behind text and email and won't talk to you, don't deal with them.
hillbilly
8/31/2016 4:35am
I'm not understanding.

How is it a scam if they want to deposit in PayPal?

Sorry,but it is early and I'm missing something, are they trying to get you to ship the item and then cancel funds?
8/31/2016 5:09am
I got the same crap a few days ago, MTB is on scamslist. I just ignored it except for the texts came at 1:30 AM and woke me up, that pissed me off.
Crush
8/31/2016 5:10am
They can definitely launch a cancel with paypal. It's been happening down here.
mattmatt300
8/31/2016 5:23am
You need to get a thick skin on ya if you wanna survive on Craigslist. I've got 10-20 vehicles on there and the scammers are constant. Just look past them and be friendly with the real people. Don't get an attitude with everyone just because the scammers have you pissed off.
mattmatt300
8/31/2016 5:24am
Indy mxer wrote:
Same for me. I put my Harley on Craigslist a few weeks ago and 20 minutes later I got a scam text. These shit bags must...
Same for me. I put my Harley on Craigslist a few weeks ago and 20 minutes later I got a scam text.

I hate all of them!!
They're bots that auto reply to every ad within whatever parameters they've set. No sitting and waiting and the emails don't come from a real person.
1stSSPZ
8/31/2016 5:32am
Man, I'm glad I live off the beaten path in middle America. the last two guys I bought/sold bikes to and from ended up becoming good riding partners!
8/31/2016 5:34am
hillbilly wrote:
I'm not understanding. How is it a scam if they want to deposit in PayPal? Sorry,but it is early and I'm missing something, are they trying...
I'm not understanding.

How is it a scam if they want to deposit in PayPal?

Sorry,but it is early and I'm missing something, are they trying to get you to ship the item and then cancel funds?
The scammers nowadays have gotten pretty good (some of em)...to the point to where they'll give you a check and it actually cleares the bank only to be found out (by the bank) days later that it was a fraudulent check. Craiglist warns of this..but I know a friend that had that actually happen to him..

No way I'm accepting pay pal and having some freak that didn't even buy the bike "act" as a courier and pick it up..
Hman144
Fantasy
713th
8/31/2016 5:50am
The latest is a "buyer" who will send you a couple of thoughtful and reasonable emails, then ask you to get them a vehicle history report from some unknown website. "This is a good site, and it's cheaper than Carfax.", they'll say.

Spend your $20 on a report and then you never hear from the buyer again. Or likely ever get a valid report.

Had two different people try that one on me when we sold a car on CL this year.

H
NoahSuthy99
8/31/2016 6:54am
My advice is to make sure your phone number is not directly in your post.. You can spell it. Ex.) 123-fourfivesix-789

We have had the same trouble as you with this, but once we stopped putting our number directly in the add, we have been fine. Dont know if this is the issue or not, just trying to help.

Also, NEVER let someone pay you on paypal from craigslist!!
8/31/2016 7:45am
I tried to sell a bike on Craigslist just a xr200 nothing but scams so I tried that let go app and it sold in 24 hrs it's free to use.
mx_563
8/31/2016 7:46am
I think the consignment business will improve from this. I remember back in the day, there were always used bikes for sale at my local dealership. That's an option I'll definitely be considering when it comes time to sell my bike. It's not the paypal scams I'm worried about, it's getting robbed.
TXDirt
8/31/2016 7:53am
PayPal usually sides with the person who deposited the money. That's why the scammers will use PayPal. They can deposit the money. You see it in your PayPal account. Depositor has your bike. Depositor files for refund with PayPal due to not receiving bike. PayPay reverses the transaction. Nearly impossible to resolve as PayPal doesn't really have the resources to investigate every single transaction and verify if products ever hanged hands.
8/31/2016 7:58am
mx_563 wrote:
I think the consignment business will improve from this. I remember back in the day, there were always used bikes for sale at my local dealership...
I think the consignment business will improve from this. I remember back in the day, there were always used bikes for sale at my local dealership. That's an option I'll definitely be considering when it comes time to sell my bike. It's not the paypal scams I'm worried about, it's getting robbed.
I'm not too worried about getting robbed..I got something that travels at over 3000 feet per second for that..I worry about someone trying to pass counterfeit money to me more than anything..
Not too worried about scam attempts cuz I only accept cash and in person, but it is getting old... the relentless scammers contacting me. I also always insist on holding the money while they test ride my bikes...but who's to say they're not letting you hold a really well made hand full of counterfeit hundred dollar bills...that what worries me most..
I always get the licence number and make and model of car...but retarded criminals are stupid....they just don't care .
TXDirt
8/31/2016 7:58am
mx_563 wrote:
I think the consignment business will improve from this. I remember back in the day, there were always used bikes for sale at my local dealership...
You just have to be cautious for sure. I sold my travel trailer on CL without any issues. Guy gave me an envelope with 10k in cash in it. Very smooth transaction. Now of course I was not at all worried about someone trying to steal my trailer from me so different circumstances.

Basically always go into a situation assuming the worst will happen. That way you are ready for it. I sell the occasional odd item on craigslist and one thing I never do is meet someone at my house to look at it. I don't want anyone to know where I live or whats inside my house. We can meet at supermarket or somewhere public. Never my house.
8/31/2016 8:05am Edited Date/Time 8/31/2016 8:06am
Indy mxer wrote:
Same for me. I put my Harley on Craigslist a few weeks ago and 20 minutes later I got a scam text. These shit bags must...

I hate all of them!!
They're bots that auto reply to every ad within whatever parameters they've set. No sitting and waiting and the emails don't come from a real person.
I say respond with zebra and the numerical day that Christmas falls on.

Bots can't do that

Or...but a throw away phone with minutes only. Tell them only to call you.
Anaxdlere
8/31/2016 8:16am
Hman144 wrote:
The latest is a "buyer" who will send you a couple of thoughtful and reasonable emails, then ask you to get them a vehicle history report...
The latest is a "buyer" who will send you a couple of thoughtful and reasonable emails, then ask you to get them a vehicle history report from some unknown website. "This is a good site, and it's cheaper than Carfax.", they'll say.

Spend your $20 on a report and then you never hear from the buyer again. Or likely ever get a valid report.

Had two different people try that one on me when we sold a car on CL this year.

H
I have this one going on right now too. The potential buyer pushing to get a report from some mpotocheckupvin website which was obviously some scam site, saying "so much cheaper than carfax," etc. I told him I had one from Cyclevin to which he said, oh I don't really trust them. Please use this site. No responses anymore after I told him that I had a clear title and a VIN report and wasn't going to use this obvious scam site.
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
8/31/2016 9:58am
This happens all the time where I am at. Just ignore them and don't respond.

I have some feeder pigs on craigslist right now and I am getting the same thing over the "farm tractor" and they are going to paypal me, have someone ship it to blah blah.( I only have the pigs on CL)

These people are trying to fish in your email and be able to hack your PayPal or to get your bank/ cards associated with your PayPal.
Moto520
8/31/2016 10:32am
My advice......fuck with them. Make them think they have you on the hook and just have fun with it. Toy with them. Get their hopes up that they have a hot one and have fun wasting their time. Make them do messed up shit to prove that they are legit. It's called "scam baiting" and can be lots of fun if you have time to kill.

https://www.reddit.com/r/scambait/

IWreckALot
8/31/2016 10:42am
Moto520 wrote:
My advice......fuck with them. Make them think they have you on the hook and just have fun with it. Toy with them. Get their hopes up...
My advice......fuck with them. Make them think they have you on the hook and just have fun with it. Toy with them. Get their hopes up that they have a hot one and have fun wasting their time. Make them do messed up shit to prove that they are legit. It's called "scam baiting" and can be lots of fun if you have time to kill.

https://www.reddit.com/r/scambait/

I did this one time. I was selling a dirt bike. I started offering to sell them just the front half of the bike first. Then I said the motor blew up on me the last time I rode it, but it's still good, then I started changing what it was that I was selling them altogether.

The clue I've picked up on is they never address the item as what it is. So for example if you're selling a dirt bike, they will never call it a "dirt bike", they will just say "the item" or something generic like that.
garagedog
Fantasy
722nd
8/31/2016 12:07pm
I just text back "Scammer, you need Jesus" and I never hear from them again.

Post a reply to: They're trying to scam me!

The Latest