Interesting: There is a term for the switch to 4 strokes

Edited Date/Time 8/16/2013 6:41pm
There is a term for the Japanese master plan of switching to 4 strokes. It's called planned obsolescence.

Don't you guys feel like suckers nowWoohoo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence
|
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
7/16/2013 11:15pm
What's the lifespan for this post?
Trauma
7/17/2013 12:58am
I don't think planned obsolescence really applies here, the two stroke was not suddenly made to break after a short(er) period of time. It was that most manufacturers stopped developing them in lieu of a different type of bike.

The Shop

7/17/2013 3:02am
The shape of 2-stroke engines had reached maximum output at the time. To much coin to develop for little gain in performance.
Lets face it 2-strokes were awesome & so was the t-Rex.
The term for the 4-stroke switch is called - Advancement
7/17/2013 3:46am
listen up wrote:
The shape of 2-stroke engines had reached maximum output at the time. To much coin to develop for little gain in performance. Lets face it 2-strokes...
The shape of 2-stroke engines had reached maximum output at the time. To much coin to develop for little gain in performance.
LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
mxpappy711
7/17/2013 4:55am
Pretty simple really, what is killing the two stroke in MX is the rules. Let 250s race 250s and +250s race against 450s and see what happens. Of course manufacturers want you to replace your stuff be it cars, bikes or clothes thats just good business.
7/17/2013 7:39am Edited Date/Time 7/17/2013 7:43am
GuyB wrote:
I was reading about the centennial light on wiki and that term was in the article. The four stroke dirt bike was the first thing to pop into my head.

The Japanese wanted to sell more engine parts and increase revenue. They sorta succeeded. They have increased there revenue down the road per unit sold. But their units sold have plummeted.

To the guy that said two stokes had reached their limit of advancement. That is silly. DI was still out there and all they had to do is increase displacement if they wanted more power. That's all they did with the four stroke.

And how is that working out for the sport in general?

GuyB you guys can laugh. But the poor privateer that dumps 12k into a 250F motor and still can't compete with Mitch and Geico is not laughing. Will you walk up to those guys in the pits and tell them it's sucks they can't compete because they don't have enough money? Remember we need the guy in 25th too. Or else we will look like the GP's.

I have nothing to do with the sport other than watching it on TV. It if shrinks even more tomorrow my life won't change a bit . It will however affect you guys that depend on motocross to make a living. You should be promoting things that grow the sport and make it better, cheaper, and easier for people to access it for it to grow. The four stroke does none of that.

It is louder = tracks are closing and I won't attend another race in person anymore because it's too loud and annoying. I can't hear myself think.

Initial acquisition cost are higher.

Maintenance cost are higher and impossible for most to do by themselves.

Speeds have increased which it debatable but coupled with a heavier bike so have the outcomes of the crashes. They have admitted that by letting the 450's go first because they are harder to control on the rough tracks.

Resale values are lower.

So you guys keep laughing. Keep watching tracks close. And watch the job that you love go away.

You guys remind me of the Asiana pilots. They just watched the jetty come right at them until it was too late....

Carry on boys!
7/17/2013 7:46am
GuyB wrote:
I was reading about the centennial light on wiki and that term was in the article. The four stroke dirt bike was the first thing to...
I was reading about the centennial light on wiki and that term was in the article. The four stroke dirt bike was the first thing to pop into my head.

The Japanese wanted to sell more engine parts and increase revenue. They sorta succeeded. They have increased there revenue down the road per unit sold. But their units sold have plummeted.

To the guy that said two stokes had reached their limit of advancement. That is silly. DI was still out there and all they had to do is increase displacement if they wanted more power. That's all they did with the four stroke.

GuyB you guys can laugh. But the poor privateer that dumps 12k into a 250F motor and still can't compete with Mitch and Geico is not laughing. Will you walk up to those guys in the pits and tell them it's sucks they can't compete because they don't have enough money? Remember we need the guy in 25th too. Or else we will look like the GP's.

I have nothing to do with the sport other than watching it on TV. It if shrinks even more tomorrow my life won't change a bit . It will however affect you guys that depend on motocross to make a living. You should be promoting things that grow the sport and make it better, cheaper, and easier for people to access it for it to grow. The four stroke does none of that.

It is louder = tracks are closing and I won't attend another race in person anymore because it's too loud and annoying. I can't hear myself think.

Speeds have increased which it debatable but coupled with a heavier bike so have the outcomes of the crashes. They have admitted that by letting the 450's go first because they are harder to control on the rough tracks.

Resale values are lower.

So you guys keep laughing. Keep watching tracks close. And watch the job that you love go away.

You guys remind me of the Asiana pilots. They just watched the jetty come right at them until it was too late....

Carry on boys!
totally agree with keyboardjockey. Only 3 manufactures quit bringing 2 strokes in the country. The red one is on the AMA
board so they have a lot of pull. Time to dump the AMA. They are like the UN.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
7/17/2013 7:48am
See, where I generally object is when people make up things to suit their arguments.

"The Japanese wanted to sell more engine parts and increase revenue."

Can you back up that blanket claim? No.
7/17/2013 9:05am
No, I have no direct evidence.

But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last nightWink

I love it when people dismiss the overall validity of an argument because nobody has any direct evidenceWoohoo

Since this isn't a court of law can you prove what I'm saying is not true?

Does the argument I and others make, make sense?

Do you in fact believe that four strokes are better for the sport overall?

Is it good for the sport that the cost to run a 250F are out of control?

Honestly I didn't start this thread to start another 2/4 debate. I saw that term and I thought it was funny that the Japs and the four strokes was the first thing that popped into my head.

Seriously though more pictures of hot chicks in the pit bits and I'll drop this nonsenseWink
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
7/17/2013 9:11am
If you hate four-strokes, what does it matter? Buy a two-stroke. Ride and race your two-stroke. Love your two-stroke. Sit and smile, knowing that you made the right decision for you. That does more for the sport than sitting and pissing and moaning about it on a message board.

It's supposed to be 90 this weekend at Washougal. Hot chick pics...check.
Torco1
7/17/2013 9:24am
No, I have no direct evidence. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night;) I love it when people dismiss the overall validity...
No, I have no direct evidence.

But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last nightWink

I love it when people dismiss the overall validity of an argument because nobody has any direct evidenceWoohoo

Since this isn't a court of law can you prove what I'm saying is not true?

Does the argument I and others make, make sense?

Do you in fact believe that four strokes are better for the sport overall?

Is it good for the sport that the cost to run a 250F are out of control?

Honestly I didn't start this thread to start another 2/4 debate. I saw that term and I thought it was funny that the Japs and the four strokes was the first thing that popped into my head.

Seriously though more pictures of hot chicks in the pit bits and I'll drop this nonsenseWink
What bike do you current ride/ race? Just curious.
jeffro503
7/17/2013 9:29am
GuyB wrote:
If you hate four-strokes, what does it matter? Buy a two-stroke. Ride and race your two-stroke. Love your two-stroke. Sit and smile, knowing that you made...
If you hate four-strokes, what does it matter? Buy a two-stroke. Ride and race your two-stroke. Love your two-stroke. Sit and smile, knowing that you made the right decision for you. That does more for the sport than sitting and pissing and moaning about it on a message board.

It's supposed to be 90 this weekend at Washougal. Hot chick pics...check.
GuyB : " Hot chick pics...check. "

OK!.....Now you have my attention! You better not disappoint Steve! I want to see a plethora of Chick pics come Sunday afternoon.......I mean seriously......shoot them until your digital camera runs out of film! WoohooWoohoo

On the 2 stroke thing.......I look at it like this. Look at where the argument stood only 5yrs ago.....2 stroke guys didn't have much ground to stand on. " Now days ".......I think it's a different story. In just the 3 short years I have been back riding I have been seeing more and more 2 strokes show back up at the track.

It started out being an underground movement .....which has turned into a full blown rebellion that seems to be gaining some serious momentum. I didn't think I'd ever switch back to getting another 2 stroke.....but damn it man.....it is just too much fun riding those damn things.

You don't have valves
You don't need / want a $1200.00 Exhaust system
You can't beat the sound
You don't have valves
you can't beat the cost of the parts vs a 4 stroke
You don't have valves
you need "less" parts for a 2 stroke
You can work on the damn thing yourself
They are lighter and easier to throw around
And not sure if I mentioned this.....But they DON'T have valves!

And on a side note : Look at the 13' and 14' KTM 250 SX......the 450's really aint got much on this bike. I've seen them first hand of what they are capable of....and they friggin' rip! This is a stock 250 2 stroke design. What would the 125cc and 250cc 2 strokes be like today.....if the Jap bikes actually continued progressing that design???

I love the 4 strokes......but damn man , the 2 strokes aint no joke.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
7/17/2013 9:39am
Me and my big mouth. Maybe it'll be a mix from Washougal and PIR. Wink

I take chick pics when I can, because I know you guys dig 'em. But it ain't the primary focus. Smile
jeffro503
7/17/2013 9:48am
GuyB wrote:
Me and my big mouth. Maybe it'll be a mix from Washougal and PIR. ;) I take chick pics when I can, because I know you...

I take chick pics when I can, because I know you guys dig 'em. But it ain't the primary focus. Smile
I know Brotha! Just get the ones you can. If you find a smokin' one....you must ( it's a law up here in the NW ) hit it from all angels known to man. I'm talking a 360 degree snapshot , give her a loli pop and conduct a short interview. MMmmmM!
4stroke4DWIN
7/17/2013 9:54am
I was reading about the centennial light on wiki and that term was in the article. The four stroke dirt bike was the first thing to...

Resale values are lower.

Carry on boys!
"I have nothing to do with the sport other than watching it on TV. It if shrinks even more tomorrow my life won't change a bit" Well then you really cant complain then.
jndmx
7/17/2013 9:57am
GuyB wrote:
Me and my big mouth. Maybe it'll be a mix from Washougal and PIR. ;) I take chick pics when I can, because I know you...

"Primary focus".....eh, see what you did there sir.
LaughingCool
peelout
7/17/2013 10:15am Edited Date/Time 7/17/2013 10:17am
It's called natural selection.
what exactly is natural about the manufacturers forcing the top guys to 450's and the AMA to double displacement rules?

remember... when Reed, RC, and Stewart were on 250 smokers, they were still kicking the shit out of everyone on 4-strokes. it wasn't until the factories put those 3 on 4-strokes that the sport really started taking a turn. and didn't Bubba make everyone look stupid on an "inferior" 125?

so don't "natural selection" me, BRO. it's a moot fucking argument. the consumers didn't decide what the manufacturers were going to focus on, if they had then your natural selection claim would be accurate.
TeamGreen
7/17/2013 10:42am
Yawn.

My Built for Baja 40 horse CRF250X costs less to operate than my smokers. I put 20-30 hours a month on it & the Clutches, Pistons-Rings (Vertex/Total Seal), chains-sprockets, rear tires last SO much longer than they do on my 2T's; but, that's lost on this crowd. Btw, I have one built like an R that I use for Moto, too.

Then there's the fuel issue: compare my $3.90 a gallon to your 32:1/50:1 Pre-mix costs. Btw, I burn about 1/2 the fuel you do, too.

Want to discuss Torque?

I buy REALLY NICE USED 250Xs for $2500. I put around $2K into them, including a FastHeads refresh, & I end up with a bike that is cheap to own & operate.

I change my oil just as often as I do on my KX 250/500...& I run a good air-filter (DT) & I keep it pretty damn clean, too.

A 450 is even cheaper to run if you've got common-sense & you take care of it. They eat rear Tires about the same as my smokers.

You see, I'm a realist. I know what it costs to keep pistons & rings, clutches, reeds (carbon, you know?), chains/sprockets, rear tires, good 2T oil...etc. in my smokers.

Like GuyB implied...

Proof is in the Doing.
peelout
7/17/2013 10:49am
Manny bro, way off topic but what is your opinion on the DT filter? my Twin Air is getting beat up and i need a couple good ones for my 300xc so that i can go out and make guys on 250xs look silly. i got on BTO website to order a couple but had some issues on the checkout.

thanks Brah Wink
loftyair
7/17/2013 11:05am
When the economy was silly good, yami was like 'maybe we can make a 4-stroke competitve', which they did with twice the displacement. All the 'slower' guys got one, because it had a half-bike length advantage on the start. The japan saw the double-revenue from it, and remember the economy was silly. So they capitalized. Now, it's a different story. Still some 'rich' people buying and stuff, but lots want that good 'ole 2-stroke back. It's not the size of the tool, but how good you can use it! Hot chicks are higher maintenance, but they work the same when the lights are off!
Spartacus
7/17/2013 11:07am Edited Date/Time 7/17/2013 11:27am
listen up wrote:
The shape of 2-stroke engines had reached maximum output at the time. To much coin to develop for little gain in performance. Lets face it 2-strokes...
Advancement, like back in the late 60's when 4T dirt bikes were ditched for 2T's?
7/17/2013 11:09am
It's called natural selection.
peelout wrote:
what exactly is natural about the manufacturers forcing the top guys to 450's and the AMA to double displacement rules? remember... when Reed, RC, and Stewart...
what exactly is natural about the manufacturers forcing the top guys to 450's and the AMA to double displacement rules?

remember... when Reed, RC, and Stewart were on 250 smokers, they were still kicking the shit out of everyone on 4-strokes. it wasn't until the factories put those 3 on 4-strokes that the sport really started taking a turn. and didn't Bubba make everyone look stupid on an "inferior" 125?

so don't "natural selection" me, BRO. it's a moot fucking argument. the consumers didn't decide what the manufacturers were going to focus on, if they had then your natural selection claim would be accurate.
Easy there tiger, the displacement rules were there long before Henry rode his Yzm 400. It's just an unfortunate situation brought on by the unfair displacement advantage that four strokes were given because they were air cooled 300 pound hunks of poo before Yamaha made them kick ass. No one could have known that four strokes would eventually turn into the fire breathing dragons that they are today.

P.S. I was at the Vegas supercross that night, and I ride a ten year old two stroke.
DonM
7/17/2013 11:12am
GuyB wrote:
See, where I generally object is when people make up things to suit their arguments. "The Japanese wanted to sell more engine parts and increase revenue."...
See, where I generally object is when people make up things to suit their arguments.

"The Japanese wanted to sell more engine parts and increase revenue."

Can you back up that blanket claim? No.
And don't forget mixing fact with fiction....The 450's run first for TV purposes not because "they are harder to control on rough tracks"
Gibby you may want check this guy, sounds like he could be Luongo Blink
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
7/17/2013 12:32pm
I think everyone kind of wanted a 4-stroke when they came along. It's just no one thought about everything involved. I don't think the Japs's decision was based entirely on sales. Honda never liked 2-strokes, so they decided to eliminate 2-strokes at the most opportune time. Sales IMO had very little to do with their decision. Profits off what they make is only a by-product.
Deetsmx
7/17/2013 12:53pm
Go to mxfilters.com and use the discount code "filter" for 40%off. You won't go back to another brand once you try them. No charge this time, but a 12 pack of pbr will do next time, bro.
peelout
7/17/2013 1:11pm
Deetsmx wrote:
Go to mxfilters.com and use the discount code "filter" for 40%off. You won't go back to another brand once you try them. No charge this time...
Go to mxfilters.com and use the discount code "filter" for 40%off. You won't go back to another brand once you try them. No charge this time, but a 12 pack of pbr will do next time, bro.
so sick, bro. so chill

Post a reply to: Interesting: There is a term for the switch to 4 strokes

The Latest