The ultimate two wheel rider ever

7/18/2019 4:19am
Of the riders I have watched. Marquez on the asphalt. RC on the dirt. Rossi, JS7, TP199 are very close, but were beat on track by...
Of the riders I have watched.

Marquez on the asphalt.

RC on the dirt.

Rossi, JS7, TP199 are very close, but were beat on track by the riders above enough times to show who the dominant rider was.
VR46 is 40 years old, he is far from his prime and is still competitive. MM93 should be beating him.
early
Fantasy
2212th
7/18/2019 4:26am
VR46 is 40 years old, he is far from his prime and is still competitive. MM93 should be beating him.
Marquez is redefining how a roadrace bike is ridden, not just beating the competition.
alex69
7/18/2019 6:32am
early wrote:
Marquez is redefining how a roadrace bike is ridden, not just beating the competition.
Rossi is the last word champion in a 500cc 2t and word champion on all the different bike's after the 2t area. 1000cc, then 800cc, now again 1000cc.
And I really wanna see how al of the Pedrossa's Stoner ect. have done it with only throttle control with your right hand.
Rossi was capable to adapt the different bikes in no time, and the only one who stand up again's the arrogantly of HRC who said he only win championship because of Honda.
He proved they where wrong to win the championship immediately the year after with Yamaha.
Excaliburbmx
7/18/2019 6:38am
Joey Dunlop was in his mid to late 40s racing 20 year olds while he was on a 750 and they were on 1000s.
He wasn’t a trainer he was a smoker and drank a few beers. Last of the natural talent for sure.

The Shop

7/18/2019 7:06am
scrallex wrote:
I guess I'll be the first to bring General Sipes into this conversation
If Sipes races a half-mile, or mile, on a twin, then I would throw his name in there.
early
Fantasy
2212th
7/18/2019 7:18am
alex69 wrote:
Rossi is the last word champion in a 500cc 2t and word champion on all the different bike's after the 2t area. 1000cc, then 800cc, now...
Rossi is the last word champion in a 500cc 2t and word champion on all the different bike's after the 2t area. 1000cc, then 800cc, now again 1000cc.
And I really wanna see how al of the Pedrossa's Stoner ect. have done it with only throttle control with your right hand.
Rossi was capable to adapt the different bikes in no time, and the only one who stand up again's the arrogantly of HRC who said he only win championship because of Honda.
He proved they where wrong to win the championship immediately the year after with Yamaha.
I'm not saying Rossi isn't great. He raced longer and saw the largest variety of machinery and tires of anyone in GP racing (probably).

Today the technical gap is much smaller than it used to be which is why there are so many more guys running at the front, 10 guys have a chance to run at the front on any given weekend. This means that the RIDING ability is more important than the mastery of machine characteristic to win races. This is where Marquez is so amazing with his controlled 2 wheel slides propping the bike up with his knee until it regains traction.

He is a seat of the pants rider just like Stoner was, he rides the bike he is given as proven by being the only competitive Honda a couple years when the bike wasn't quite there ( yes Honda is always 95% there). I believe Marquez and Stoner would have been more than competitive in the 2 stroke days, but of course there is no way to prove that. Pedrosa, Lorenzo not so much.

As I said earlier, it will be interesting to see where his career goes. He has become less wild in the last few years, but hasn't lost his edge. I would love to see him go to another factory (KTM) or another form of racing all together which I think is actually a possibility because it seems he truly loves riding motorcycles. For now I'll enjoy watching him ride, as I did Rossi, Stoner, RC, Stewart, MC etc.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
7/18/2019 7:40am
I’m going old school with this one. Since it’s titled two wheels and not moto, I’m going with guys that showed amazing skills on all forms of two wheels.

Kenny Roberts numero uno👍
To be able to pitch a flat tracker sideways at 100+ to win Nationals and then have the ability to win World road racing titles is amazing. I’m sure if he chose to concentrate on MX he would have done pretty well. Malcolm Smith next in line
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
7/18/2019 7:56am
Besides me ? I can’t think of anyone
7/18/2019 9:36am
Of the riders I have watched. Marquez on the asphalt. RC on the dirt. Rossi, JS7, TP199 are very close, but were beat on track by...

Marquez on the asphalt.

RC on the dirt.

Rossi, JS7, TP199 are very close, but were beat on track by the riders above enough times to show who the dominant rider was.
I am the biggest VR46 fan around. Marquez is operating at another level.

Very similar situation to McGrath and RC. No one would ever take away Jeremy’s accomplishments. A true badass, however RC came along and changed the game.
McG194
7/18/2019 12:10pm

Marquez on the asphalt.

RC on the dirt.

I am the biggest VR46 fan around. Marquez is operating at another level. Very similar situation to McGrath and RC. No one would ever take away...
I am the biggest VR46 fan around. Marquez is operating at another level.

Very similar situation to McGrath and RC. No one would ever take away Jeremy’s accomplishments. A true badass, however RC came along and changed the game.
I think my head just exploded.

Are you implying that Jeremy didn't change the game? There would be no scrubbing today if Jeremy didn't start the whole staying low concept. He used his BMX skills to suck the bike up into himself over triples. Before him everyone was rainbow jumping.
Barrett57
7/18/2019 12:37pm
Joey Dunlop was in his mid to late 40s racing 20 year olds while he was on a 750 and they were on 1000s. He wasn’t...
Joey Dunlop was in his mid to late 40s racing 20 year olds while he was on a 750 and they were on 1000s.
He wasn’t a trainer he was a smoker and drank a few beers. Last of the natural talent for sure.
Not only that, but he was racing in a sport that often ends in death when you make a mistake.
7/18/2019 12:42pm
Last reply on this:

I am implying precisely that. MC was supremely talented but did not change the game like MM and RC have done. JS7 changed the game more than MC.

VR, like MC, was just better than everyone at the time. All there is to it. Yea MC stayed low, and VR dangled the leg, but those were incremental steps compared to what RC and MM brought to the table.
McG194
7/18/2019 1:01pm
Last reply on this: I am implying precisely that. MC was supremely talented but did not change the game like MM and RC have done. JS7...
Last reply on this:

I am implying precisely that. MC was supremely talented but did not change the game like MM and RC have done. JS7 changed the game more than MC.

VR, like MC, was just better than everyone at the time. All there is to it. Yea MC stayed low, and VR dangled the leg, but those were incremental steps compared to what RC and MM brought to the table.
I would agree with you but then we'd both be wrong. You just don't understand what a difference it made how MC changed jumping. As far as supremely talented, sure he was talented but not the best of his era. Look up what his opinion of Swink was. There are other guys besides Ricky that trained, guys like Stanton come to mind. MC was revolutionary. The Bubba Scrub would never have been invented if there was no McGrath. Hard stop.

As far as the leg dangle, that was VR just screwing with everyone. I remember a couple years after he started that and everyone copied he even admitted that his lap times were no different dangle or no dangle. Personally I think that after he retires he will admit that he was screwing with everyone all along.

https://www.redbull.com/us-en/the-history-of-motogp-leg-dangle
BD233
7/18/2019 1:12pm
Ricky Graham has to be in there...
Crossup
7/18/2019 1:29pm
ga_pike wrote:
Steve McQueen laughs at all of you as he jumps the fence again! Seriously though... Malcolm Smith, JMB, and Jeff Ward would be in my top...
Steve McQueen laughs at all of you as he jumps the fence again!

Seriously though... Malcolm Smith, JMB, and Jeff Ward would be in my top 3.
I know you are joking a bit. McQueen tried to make the jump and crashed. His racing buddy and stunt man Bud Ekins made the jump on film.

7/18/2019 4:25pm Edited Date/Time 7/18/2019 4:47pm
GODZILLA wrote:
JMB, no question.
presto170 wrote:
This x 1000, didn’t he put it on pole position in a 500cc moto GP race after his moto career?
Kenny Roberts won three 500cc motoGP championships after his American dirt career.
kage173
7/19/2019 6:22am
GODZILLA wrote:
JMB, no question.
presto170 wrote:
This x 1000, didn’t he put it on pole position in a 500cc moto GP race after his moto career?
Kenny Roberts won three 500cc motoGP championships after his American dirt career.
I personally don't think that's as impressive as JMB.

KR was a flat tracker. Flat track to road racing is the normal evolution. Almost all American (and most international) road racers start in flat track. The skills are very similar and that's usually what road racers use to practice. However, moto/super cross are very different from road racing/flat track.
rangot
7/19/2019 6:41am
Of course it's JMB. 100%. MX, RR, French enduro champ, very good trial rider... I saw him first hand doing his downhill wheelies where he puts the bike in neutral and just stays up for ever, it's just crazy.
viking24
7/19/2019 6:43am
Stefan Everts. King of GP MX, ISDE OA winner.
bh84
Fantasy
1830th
7/19/2019 6:48am
bh84 wrote:
Malcolm Smith

Travis Pastrana

Valentino Rossi

Kenny Roberts

Mert Lawill

RC, but lower on the list because he only did MX
You do know that RC has multiple SX titles as well, right?
I mean MX as in that was the only bike he rode. Rossi rides flat track, MX and MotoGP, Roberts was a flat track champ before going to GP, Mert had to ride flat track, road race, TT and MX to take home the #1 plate. Malcolm did whatever was goin on that weekend and won. Hillclimb, Elsinore, Baja, ISDE, Trials, we was simply the best at everything he did.

RC was the baddest dude to ever throw a leg over a dirtbike, but thats all he ever threw a leg over.
psychotronBR
Fantasy
1281st
7/19/2019 7:25am
Motofinne wrote:
JMB and Kenny Roberts has to be high up on the list. I think Marc Marquez is by far the most talented 2-wheeled rider right now...
JMB and Kenny Roberts has to be high up on the list.

I think Marc Marquez is by far the most talented 2-wheeled rider right now. He will go down as one of the greatest ever motorcycle rider in all disciplines.

early wrote:
I wonder how Marc's career will progress in the future, how many titles and race wins, will he change teams, will he change disciplines into speedway...
I wonder how Marc's career will progress in the future, how many titles and race wins, will he change teams, will he change disciplines into speedway just for shits and giggles. He's like Carmichael and Stewart rolled into one at over 200mph, anyone not watching him over the past 5 years has been missing out.
Motofinne wrote:
It will be interesting to follow. I think it was David Emmett (big MotoGP-journalist) that wrote an interesting piece regarding if Marquez has to win on...
It will be interesting to follow.

I think it was David Emmett (big MotoGP-journalist) that wrote an interesting piece regarding if Marquez has to win on an other bike to become the greatest ever. Emmetts argument against that is the fact that MotoGP has never been this equal and competitive, the difference between the bikes is so much smaller today because of the regulations compared to back in the day. The fact that he is so much better than everyone else in this era is the argument for his greatness and why he shouldn't have to win on an other bike.

It is an interesting point and i agree to an extent. But i still want to see him on something else than the Honda one day.
Marquez is an absolute BEAST on the asphalt.

(and not too shabby on the dirt either according to some)

Jdawggg
7/19/2019 7:39am
What about Steve Wise...won a outdoor national, Supercross, superbike and was a top road racer
7/19/2019 7:40am Edited Date/Time 7/19/2019 7:51am
presto170 wrote:
kage173 wrote:
I personally don't think that's as impressive as JMB. KR was a flat tracker. Flat track to road racing is the normal evolution. Almost all American...
I personally don't think that's as impressive as JMB.

KR was a flat tracker. Flat track to road racing is the normal evolution. Almost all American (and most international) road racers start in flat track. The skills are very similar and that's usually what road racers use to practice. However, moto/super cross are very different from road racing/flat track.
It is not solely the transfer of discipline for Roberts that is impressive (although it is). It is the level of absolute achievement -- being one of the greatest ever -- in multiple disciplines that is impressive.

Plus, bonus points for having ridden this (and survived!):
kage173
7/19/2019 9:06am
It is not solely the transfer of discipline for Roberts that is impressive (although it is). It is the level of absolute achievement -- being one...
It is not solely the transfer of discipline for Roberts that is impressive (although it is). It is the level of absolute achievement -- being one of the greatest ever -- in multiple disciplines that is impressive.

Fair enough. I'm not going to spend too much time arguing against King Kenny. The guy was an animal....and his son wasn't too shabby either.
7/19/2019 9:13am
I mean... this is pretty ultimate. Add a supercross and motocross championship on top...

bh84
Fantasy
1830th
7/19/2019 9:15am
It is not solely the transfer of discipline for Roberts that is impressive (although it is). It is the level of absolute achievement -- being one...

kage173 wrote:
Fair enough. I'm not going to spend too much time arguing against King Kenny. The guy was an animal....and his son wasn't too shabby either.
Yamaha did an event for their 50th anniversary and got Kenny to ride the TZ750 at the Indy Mile again. To this day I've never heard anything that sounded like that monstrosity.
7/19/2019 10:20am Edited Date/Time 7/19/2019 10:22am
Can someone remind me how many 2 wheel championships Travis won as a pro? Everyone is going to have their own barometer of what answers this question. I'm sticking with fact. Which is race and championship wins. And no, I'm not looking to fist fight anyone over how they view it. So save your energy tough guys.

Almost forgot...
Mirra
RC
VR46
No particular order
Forty
7/19/2019 10:45am
Pastrana’s gift and downfall is that he sees things we can’t even think about and then he attempts them. His vision and reflexes make him capable of doing the impossible on a motorcycle. I really believe his bikes have never been capable enough to do what Travis is able to do.

He doesn’t have the trophies but he belongs in this group.

No doubt.

Post a reply to: The ultimate two wheel rider ever

The Latest