The truth about the demise of Geico Honda?

lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
10/16/2020 7:50pm
mx617 wrote:
My question is when you look at the tv coverage why in dogs name would any company sponsor a team instead of the series? You get...
My question is when you look at the tv coverage why in dogs name would any company sponsor a team instead of the series? You get virtually nothing in coverage as a team sponsor on the broadcast.
Exactly. I would want the most bang for my buck. Cool
Spudnut
10/16/2020 8:16pm
Brent wrote:
So, soon I expect to see this headline over at the MXA website, because those guys are all about this kind of stuff: WARREN BUFFETT DESTROYS...
So, soon I expect to see this headline over at the MXA website, because those guys are all about this kind of stuff:

WARREN BUFFETT DESTROYS GEICO HONDA

..except it would be mis-spelled, because it's MXA...
Okay that’s funny!!!
10/16/2020 8:39pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/10/15/454314/s1200_015159.jpg[/img]

Haha, do ya know the bear song ? From green jelly band, sound track from dumb and dumber.
EngIceDave
10/17/2020 5:51am
Band was originally Green Jello, until Jello sued them, then they became Green Jelly

The Shop

Travis707
10/17/2020 9:47am
mx617 wrote:
My question is when you look at the tv coverage why in dogs name would any company sponsor a team instead of the series? You get...
My question is when you look at the tv coverage why in dogs name would any company sponsor a team instead of the series? You get virtually nothing in coverage as a team sponsor on the broadcast.
This is how it was explained to me about 10 years ago so take it for what it’s worth:

A team sponsor calculates their return on investment by the amount and quality of media coverage. The more the company logo is shown and talked about on TV, the higher the return. Obviously this value is ultimately determined by the company. So if a company invests $2 million and that team consistently runs at the front then they may determine that they received $20 million of value for number of eyeballs seeing the company brand in the course of a year. If the team has a bad year then their ROI may not make sense. At Pala, I suspect GEICO did extremely well by all measurements. The team route for a company is not necessarily the most consistent regarding coverage but it can produce the best return. Also consider the volume of exposure in moto magazines, websites and social media the company receives from team sponsorship.

A series sponsor has a relatively consistent TV exposure, like the GEICO 15 minutes to save 15%, track banners, etc. but relatively little (mags, website, social media) outside the event broadcast.

Obviously the new GEICO CEO made a business decision to go in a different direction. Fair enough. The only criticism I have is that they should have given the team more notice so they could find a new sponsor. We’ve seen the result of their decision and I understand why people are upset but at the end of the day GEICO did a lot of good for our sport. It’s unfortunate that their business decision resulted in the destruction of a top-level team.
10/21/2020 7:34pm
omalley wrote:
You can steal a sponsor if you’re the sanctioning body. You ban an individual or team from running a sponsor, then successfully court that sponsor for...
You can steal a sponsor if you’re the sanctioning body. You ban an individual or team from running a sponsor, then successfully court that sponsor for your series instead.

Another way (not stealing but costing) is the helmet cam deal with Reed-bar him from running a competing brand to your series sponsor.
philG wrote:
Facts right there.
You don't by any chance star in the 2018 documentary Behind the Curve?

Post a reply to: The truth about the demise of Geico Honda?

The Latest