The thing about Ronnie Mac...

Related:
Create New Tag

10/27/2017 10:37 AM

It's a joke, right? We all know it's a former pro in character, sending up the American redneck. A caricature born out of some funny goon riding videos years ago.

Even Weege chimed in on Racer X:

I understand there needs to be a debate over if a Ronnie Mac (drinking beer, racing dirt bikes) is “good for the sport.” I can understand the detractors. I personally think it’s fine, because, as I mentioned above, most everyone realizes there’s a thin line between fact and fiction, and this stuff is just a joke.

TO NOT REALIZE IT, YOU'D HAVE TO FIND A COMPLETELY CLUELESS FAN WHO HAS NEVER SEEN A DIRT BIKE FACE BEFORE BUT YET ALSO DECIDED TO WATCH THIS SHOW. (My emphasis)




Really? A clueless fan who's never seen a dirt bike race? Today I spoke to two people. One a longtime fan and rider of 40 years, and the other one a legendary top class journalist, (and someone you've definitely heard of). BOTH of them didn't realise it was a joke and both thought he was a freestyle rider....

You only know it's a joke if you're into the Internet and Vital and that kind of shit.

|

10/27/2017 10:48 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/27/2017 10:49 AM

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the Ronnie Mac character, so long as it remains a side-show. The mistake was making the Ronnie Mac character front and center rather than remaining a slide-show.

I simply cannot believe the powers that be, including RedBull, allowed Jimmy Albertson to "compete" in character against what are supposed to be perceived as real athletes. I was truly embarrassed for the sport. All these years trying to convince the general public that motocross is a real sport with real athletes who train and take their profession seriously is completely wiped out with that stupid Ronnie Mac character.

This "inside joke" everyone keeps referring to should not bleed into the outside impression of this sport, which is exactly what happened when those morons at RedBull Straight Rythm decided this was a good idea.

I'll stick to watching juvenile Ronnie Mac videos while I'm taking a shit in the morning. Otherwise, it's pretty fucking stupid and should not in any way represent this sport.

|

10/27/2017 10:50 AM

you'd have to be a complete dipshit to watch anything Ronnie Mac and NOT think it was for fun/joke

|

10/27/2017 10:55 AM

peelout wrote:

you'd have to be a complete dipshit to watch anything Ronnie Mac and NOT think it was for fun/joke

This sums it up perfect.

|

10/27/2017 10:55 AM

Second peelout on this one.

|

10/27/2017 10:55 AM

Justin Hambleton wrote:

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the Ronnie Mac character, so long as it remains a side-show. The mistake was making the Ronnie Mac character front and center rather than remaining a slide-show.

I simply cannot believe the powers that be, including RedBull, allowed Jimmy Albertson to "compete" in character against what are supposed to be perceived as real athletes. I was truly embarrassed for the sport. All these years trying to convince the general public that motocross is a real sport with real athletes who train and take their profession seriously is completely wiped out with that stupid Ronnie Mac character.

This "inside joke" everyone keeps referring to should not bleed into the outside impression of this sport, which is exactly what happened when those morons at RedBull Straight Rythm decided this was a good idea.

I'll stick to watching juvenile Ronnie Mac videos while I'm taking a shit in the morning. Otherwise, it's pretty fucking stupid and should not in any way represent this sport.

It was side-show race, offseason race. It was not a motocross race.

|

10/27/2017 11:00 AM

Ronnie Mac is still a thing?

|

10/27/2017 11:07 AM

Bravo Ronnie and Transworld you are definitely high class! shocked

http://motocross.transworld.net/news/text-messages-ronnie-mac/

Photo

|

10/27/2017 11:10 AM

peelout wrote:

you'd have to be a complete dipshit to watch anything Ronnie Mac and NOT think it was for fun/joke

Exactly. Unfortunately, social media has revealed that there are more dipshits in the world than I ever thought possible. How many people watched RBSR to see Ronnie Mac? Without many of the sports top stars there, what other excitement was there? And then the previous post blasting RedBull because they promoted it? Attitudes like that are a big reason that MX popularity is decreasing. The f*cking "my motorsport is higher class than yours" attitude shows the complete ignorance of many of our participants. With the exception of dirt karting, MX is the least expensive motorsport in the world. For $20,000, you can have competitive race bike. Even one of the cheapest forms of 4 wheel competition, the truck pulling guys, have twice that amount in one engine.

|

10/27/2017 11:14 AM

Robgvx wrote:

It's a joke, right? We all know it's a former pro in character, sending up the American redneck. A caricature born out of some funny goon riding videos years ago.

Even Weege chimed in on Racer X:

I understand there needs to be a debate over if a Ronnie Mac (drinking beer, racing dirt bikes) is “good for the sport.” I can understand the detractors. I personally think it’s fine, because, as I mentioned above, most everyone realizes there’s a thin line between fact and fiction, and this stuff is just a joke.

TO NOT REALIZE IT, YOU'D HAVE TO FIND A COMPLETELY CLUELESS FAN WHO HAS NEVER SEEN A DIRT BIKE FACE BEFORE BUT YET ALSO DECIDED TO WATCH THIS SHOW. (My emphasis)




Really? A clueless fan who's never seen a dirt bike race? Today I spoke to two people. One a longtime fan and rider of 40 years, and the other one a legendary top class journalist, (and someone you've definitely heard of). BOTH of them didn't realise it was a joke and both thought he was a freestyle rider....

You only know it's a joke if you're into the Internet and Vital and that kind of shit.

Those 2 guys you talked about are obviously stupid! Do not let them breed!

|

10/27/2017 11:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/27/2017 11:16 AM

Justin Hambleton wrote:

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the Ronnie Mac character, so long as it remains a side-show. The mistake was making the Ronnie Mac character front and center rather than remaining a slide-show.

I simply cannot believe the powers that be, including RedBull, allowed Jimmy Albertson to "compete" in character against what are supposed to be perceived as real athletes. I was truly embarrassed for the sport. All these years trying to convince the general public that motocross is a real sport with real athletes who train and take their profession seriously is completely wiped out with that stupid Ronnie Mac character.

This "inside joke" everyone keeps referring to should not bleed into the outside impression of this sport, which is exactly what happened when those morons at RedBull Straight Rythm decided this was a good idea.

I'll stick to watching juvenile Ronnie Mac videos while I'm taking a shit in the morning. Otherwise, it's pretty fucking stupid and should not in any way represent this sport.

How could they stop him from competing in character?

|

10/27/2017 11:22 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/27/2017 12:46 PM

peelout wrote:

you'd have to be a complete dipshit to watch anything Ronnie Mac and NOT think it was for fun/joke

Not when it's given legitimacy & exposure via RBSR.

To the casual observer that knows little about MX and already leans towards the (earned) stereotype that MXers are rednecks, what looks like a spoof to you just looks like another Brian Deegan with spike shoulder pads to the general public.

Jimmy is a good kid who is liked by everyone so nobody is gonna stomp out the niche he's carved for himself.

But there is a reason you'd never see this in any other grown up sport. It's the equivalent of a NFL sanctioned personality that endorsed steroid use & donestic violence. ESPN tried that shit with a show called PLAYMAKERS years ago. The NFL shut that shit down as fast as they could.

Ricky Bobby has short term gains and long term damage to a sports image.

Considering that moto riding areas are endangered species, I would think positive PR would be paramount to everyone.

|

Part of Speech: Noun

Definition: A loser, poser, lame-ass. One who talks the talk, but could never walk the walk.

One who talks shit and doesn't back it up, but rather ends up eating their shit in return. A fuckin 'tard.


Usage: Slang

10/27/2017 11:24 AM

peelout wrote:

you'd have to be a complete dipshit to watch anything Ronnie Mac and NOT think it was for fun/joke

This.

These "Is Ronnie Mac OK for the sport" threads are a fuqing joke. Much like Ronnie Mac

Anyone complaining about Ronnie Mac needs to put down there keyboard and join other like minded nancy's at their local mothers against baby spanking protest

|

10/27/2017 11:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/27/2017 11:49 AM

Robgvx wrote:

It's a joke, right? We all know it's a former pro in character, sending up the American redneck. A caricature born out of some funny goon riding videos years ago.

Even Weege chimed in on Racer X:

I understand there needs to be a debate over if a Ronnie Mac (drinking beer, racing dirt bikes) is “good for the sport.” I can understand the detractors. I personally think it’s fine, because, as I mentioned above, most everyone realizes there’s a thin line between fact and fiction, and this stuff is just a joke.

TO NOT REALIZE IT, YOU'D HAVE TO FIND A COMPLETELY CLUELESS FAN WHO HAS NEVER SEEN A DIRT BIKE FACE BEFORE BUT YET ALSO DECIDED TO WATCH THIS SHOW. (My emphasis)




Really? A clueless fan who's never seen a dirt bike race? Today I spoke to two people. One a longtime fan and rider of 40 years, and the other one a legendary top class journalist, (and someone you've definitely heard of). BOTH of them didn't realise it was a joke and both thought he was a freestyle rider....

You only know it's a joke if you're into the Internet and Vital and that kind of shit.

Robgvx,

While we speak the same language generally, we don't always understand each other. British Humor has always been a little tough for us too, just like you don't get redneck humor.

By the way, just how many English accents are there? And why are they on all of our TV news persons and radio commercials? Does it make one appear smarter? Or are dumb American's just programmed to think that way?

Photo

|

2015 Beta 500 RS, history: 99 KTM 300, 87 CR250, 84 KLR 600, 82 GPZ 550, 81 KX 250, 80 KX 250, 79 Montesa 414 VE, 78 250 VB, 77 360 VB, 76 360 VA, 75 YZ 125, 74 TM 125, 72 TS 125, 60's West Bend Go Boy Kart

10/27/2017 12:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/27/2017 12:08 PM

Johnny Depp wrote:

Robgvx,

While we speak the same language generally, we don't always understand each other. British Humor has always been a little tough for us too, just like you don't get redneck humor.

By the way, just how many English accents are there? And why are they on all of our TV news persons and radio commercials? Does it make one appear smarter? Or are dumb American's just programmed to think that way?

Photo

Huh?

I'm not bashing anyone. If you get the joke and realise that he's a caricature, as I do, it's funny. I get the redneck humour. But unless you've been on forums etc how would you know?

I was surprised that my friends, who have encyclopaedic knowledge of mx, didn't realise that he wasn't a real person. And if you don't know that then I wonder what people's perceptions are?

It would be like you not realising that Benny Hill was a character....

Regarding English accents, I can go 10 miles and find a different one. And I can pretty much place, with some accuracy, someone's home town, to within 20 miles or so, by their dialect.

Some of the farmers round here you wouldn't even be able to understand!

RE TV, have you noticed that more often than not the bad guy megalomaniac in films is portrayed as British?

|

10/27/2017 12:07 PM

People think a random redneck is able to go as fast as other pro racers that dedicate their lives to racing? A journalist you say? HAHAA

|

10/27/2017 12:08 PM

The first time I saw pro wrestling on tv was in 1970; one wrestler punched the other in the face about ten times and he didnt bleed; nobody had to tell me it wasnt real.

|

10/27/2017 12:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/27/2017 12:21 PM

I heard Ronnie Mac was starting a team with James Stewart.

|

10/27/2017 12:28 PM

peelout wrote:

you'd have to be a complete dipshit to watch anything Ronnie Mac and NOT think it was for fun/joke

Bro, there's Ridgeline drivers around here, need I say more?

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com



10/27/2017 12:54 PM

kkawboy14 wrote:

Those 2 guys you talked about are obviously stupid! Do not let them breed!

Ahh, I dont think two guys breeding is a thing.

|

10/27/2017 12:57 PM

When did motocross get full of so many PC keyboard warriors who take everything so seriously? I love Albertsons Ronnie Mac character, it's freaking hilarious. His recent interviews on Pulp and DMXS were awesome. And guess what no one who doesn't ride motocross is watching the red bull straight rythem because they don't know what it is. Stop getting your panties in a waud, sit back and enjoy the show, because guess what it is just a show!

|

10/27/2017 1:09 PM

Hmmm, wonder if the thought has crossed Eric Peronard’s mind to bring Ronnie Mac out to Endurocross?

|

10/27/2017 1:17 PM

Jabroni wrote:

Not when it's given legitimacy & exposure via RBSR.

To the casual observer that knows little about MX and already leans towards the (earned) stereotype that MXers are rednecks, what looks like a spoof to you just looks like another Brian Deegan with spike shoulder pads to the general public.

Jimmy is a good kid who is liked by everyone so nobody is gonna stomp out the niche he's carved for himself.

But there is a reason you'd never see this in any other grown up sport. It's the equivalent of a NFL sanctioned personality that endorsed steroid use & donestic violence. ESPN tried that shit with a show called PLAYMAKERS years ago. The NFL shut that shit down as fast as they could.

Ricky Bobby has short term gains and long term damage to a sports image.

Considering that moto riding areas are endangered species, I would think positive PR would be paramount to everyone.

Everyone knows the NFL and NBA are filled with wife beaters and people that can't stay out of trouble in there off seasons. Don't think Racing in general has these problems.

|

10/27/2017 1:27 PM

seth505 wrote:

People think a random redneck is able to go as fast as other pro racers that dedicate their lives to racing? A journalist you say? HAHAA

Redneck perhaps, but there is nothing random about Ronnie Mac. He is an exceptional redneck. That is why he is the god of Rednecks (and I are a redneck, I'm familiar with how they think).

The funny part is how people talk about RBSR being a fun event with little pressure. Even if you're not racing him, how'd you like to be a lites guy looking for a ride, and realize Ronnie Mac is within a second of your time, while acting like a clown and riding an ancient (uncompetitive 2 stroke!) bike.

Ronnie Mac needs an urban cousin that wears a flat bill hat, is covered in tatts and swills monster.

|

10/27/2017 1:33 PM

SweetDaddy wrote:

The first time I saw pro wrestling on tv was in 1970; one wrestler punched the other in the face about ten times and he didnt bleed; nobody had to tell me it wasnt real.

Pretty much sums it up.

|

much ty. How to spot a paid forum poster/artificial forum traffic producer (see list of actions/phrases below):

Copius pattern amounts of phrases like “Anyone have”..., “Anybody know?”.... and their variations.

Thoughts?
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance!





10/27/2017 1:40 PM

Melicar wrote:

Bravo Ronnie and Transworld you are definitely high class! shocked

http://motocross.transworld.net/news/text-messages-ronnie-mac/

Photo

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

|

10/27/2017 1:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/27/2017 4:33 PM

peelout wrote:

you'd have to be a complete dipshit to watch anything Ronnie Mac and NOT think it was for fun/joke

Jabroni wrote:

Not when it's given legitimacy & exposure via RBSR.

To the casual observer that knows little about MX and already leans towards the (earned) stereotype that MXers are rednecks, what looks like a spoof to you just looks like another Brian Deegan with spike shoulder pads to the general public.

Jimmy is a good kid who is liked by everyone so nobody is gonna stomp out the niche he's carved for himself.

But there is a reason you'd never see this in any other grown up sport. It's the equivalent of a NFL sanctioned personality that endorsed steroid use & donestic violence. ESPN tried that shit with a show called PLAYMAKERS years ago. The NFL shut that shit down as fast as they could.

Ricky Bobby has short term gains and long term damage to a sports image.

Considering that moto riding areas are endangered species, I would think positive PR would be paramount to everyone.

Park Boys wrote:

Everyone knows the NFL and NBA are filled with wife beaters and people that can't stay out of trouble in there off seasons. Don't think Racing in general has these problems.

Filled? The % of pro athletes that get into trouble is well below the average of regular society. By that metric, they're actually model citizens.

But that shows you the power of stereotypes don't it?

Playing into those stereotypes is bad business.

And yes, motocross carries it's own negative stereotypes it shouldn't be playing into. If you want the sport to have sponsors that is.

|

Part of Speech: Noun

Definition: A loser, poser, lame-ass. One who talks the talk, but could never walk the walk.

One who talks shit and doesn't back it up, but rather ends up eating their shit in return. A fuckin 'tard.


Usage: Slang

10/27/2017 1:56 PM

Doesn't everyone drink beer and ride dirt bikes at the races?

|

10/27/2017 2:04 PM

I use to watch wrestling when i was a kid and i thought stone cold was a badass, never did i go steal my dads beers, stand on the edge of the couch and pound one then flip off my mom. Although looking back i should have.

|

10/27/2017 2:13 PM

Can we not just enjoy something for once? Without Ronnie Mac, the long haired porn mustache adorned Stank Dog, and an unplugged Villo the event was a 7. With them a 10.



|