The solution to the last problem of electric dirt bikes?

Edited Date/Time 6/17/2022 11:17am
Now that the Stark showed what it can do, the last issue of electric dirt bikes is how to charge it fast and independently at the track or in the hills.
The solution could be the „vehicle-to-load“ capability of some electric cars, which means you can use your EV as a power source.
Hyundai already has it in their EVs (with 3.6 kW of output power). Others will follow, especially the electric truck segment to enable you to charge all your power tools and stuff. Certainly a much better solution than running a big ass generator all day…

https://thedriven.io/2021/11/04/vehicle-to-load-the-electric-cars-that-will-become-a-mobile-power-source
|
6/13/2022 2:09am
Just throw a petrol Generator in the back of your truck. In some parts of Australia now (at larger gas stations), they have diesel generators to supply for the electric car charging points. It's cheaper than using the 'power grid' for supply. Makes sense!!!!

6/13/2022 2:17am
Joshracing wrote:
Just throw a petrol Generator in the back of your truck. In some parts of Australia now (at larger gas stations), they have diesel generators to...
Just throw a petrol Generator in the back of your truck. In some parts of Australia now (at larger gas stations), they have diesel generators to supply for the electric car charging points. It's cheaper than using the 'power grid' for supply. Makes sense!!!!

Great addition to the topic…
You know what: that is still more efficient than driving a diesel car. https://insideevs.com/news/336627/tesla-model-s-charged-by-diesel-generator-more-efficient-than-ice-w-video/amp/
stone881
6/13/2022 6:03am
The solution is graphene. Go check out the Lamborghini Terzo Millenio concept car to understand why.

TO summarize it, graphene is both a super conductor and super capacitor. It is light as carbon fiber and stronger, so works as a structural material. It also has potential as a solar panel, but also works via piezo electric generation when it flexes. It will change everything when it is possible to produce it at scale, and they are very close.

The Shop

38special
6/13/2022 6:40am
How about we ride dirt bikes with their own onboard generators. Imagine this... internal combustion engines in place of that heavy, inconvenient, and environmentally-unfriendly battery.

All you have to do is bring a can of energy-infused liquid to the track with you, and it takes less than 1 minute to completely re-energize the motorcycle for your next ride.

prozach
6/13/2022 6:59am
Solar covered parking, storage, and outlets at tracks. Huge cost upfront for tracks, but with both cars and bikes going electric it really makes sense as long as a track knows it will be around for awhile. They could charge by the kw, and have another small revenue source. Not to mention no more annoying generators going all day and night for the campers.
yz133rider
6/13/2022 7:07am
This is all futile. Digging our own graves in the global market.

motokiwi
Fantasy
319th
6/13/2022 7:38am
"Woke garbage and a harbinger of Moto death"
DA498
6/13/2022 7:45am
prozach wrote:
Solar covered parking, storage, and outlets at tracks. Huge cost upfront for tracks, but with both cars and bikes going electric it really makes sense as...
Solar covered parking, storage, and outlets at tracks. Huge cost upfront for tracks, but with both cars and bikes going electric it really makes sense as long as a track knows it will be around for awhile. They could charge by the kw, and have another small revenue source. Not to mention no more annoying generators going all day and night for the campers.
Most tracks i go to barely can afford more than two porta potties.
gt80rider
6/13/2022 7:47am Edited Date/Time 6/13/2022 7:48am
stone881 wrote:
The solution is graphene. Go check out the Lamborghini Terzo Millenio concept car to understand why. TO summarize it, graphene is both a super conductor and...
The solution is graphene. Go check out the Lamborghini Terzo Millenio concept car to understand why.

TO summarize it, graphene is both a super conductor and super capacitor. It is light as carbon fiber and stronger, so works as a structural material. It also has potential as a solar panel, but also works via piezo electric generation when it flexes. It will change everything when it is possible to produce it at scale, and they are very close.
Omg.... u have zero idea about this game...
6/13/2022 7:55am
38special wrote:
How about we ride dirt bikes with their own onboard generators. Imagine this... internal combustion engines in place of that heavy, inconvenient, and environmentally-unfriendly battery. All...
How about we ride dirt bikes with their own onboard generators. Imagine this... internal combustion engines in place of that heavy, inconvenient, and environmentally-unfriendly battery.

All you have to do is bring a can of energy-infused liquid to the track with you, and it takes less than 1 minute to completely re-energize the motorcycle for your next ride.

Does this kind of bike make no noise so that not every f..king track gets closed or is just open for 2h a week and I can ride it pretty much anywhere? Is it much easier to ride because you can tune the power to how you like and has no clutch or gears. Does it need almost no maintenance…..
Johnny Ringo
6/13/2022 7:57am
38special wrote:
How about we ride dirt bikes with their own onboard generators. Imagine this... internal combustion engines in place of that heavy, inconvenient, and environmentally-unfriendly battery. All...

These devices don’t lose power throughout the consumption of this liquid either. Consistent the whole tank…amazing technology
6/13/2022 8:33am
38special wrote:

These devices don’t lose power throughout the consumption of this liquid either. Consistent the whole tank…amazing technology
Didn‘t know electric bikes did that…

I love my 125, but damn a bike like the Stark is going to be so much nicer to ride. No vibration, no fanning the clutch or shifting gears, perfect power delivery, consistent handling etc..
lee82
6/13/2022 8:43am
My truck will put out 120v/20A but that's not going to charge it "fast". You can also buy a 240v/30A capable portable generator for $500 or so. I'm planning on using the truck to see if that works good enough, and if not I'll buy a cheap generator. Don't overcomplicate it...
6/13/2022 8:56am
lee82 wrote:
My truck will put out 120v/20A but that's not going to charge it "fast". You can also buy a 240v/30A capable portable generator for $500 or...
My truck will put out 120v/20A but that's not going to charge it "fast". You can also buy a 240v/30A capable portable generator for $500 or so. I'm planning on using the truck to see if that works good enough, and if not I'll buy a cheap generator. Don't overcomplicate it...
That’s cool. I don’t know a car in Europe that can do that. 2.4 kW of outlet power isn’t too bad, that’s going to make a difference.

Having a generator running all day is annoying, but I‘m also the guy that parks as far away from the track as possible in the pits..
6/13/2022 12:47pm
stone881 wrote:
The solution is graphene. Go check out the Lamborghini Terzo Millenio concept car to understand why. TO summarize it, graphene is both a super conductor and...

gt80rider wrote:
Omg.... u have zero idea about this game...
This thread was the first I had heard of it, but sounds almost too good to be true?
Bradshaw Fan
6/13/2022 1:23pm
38special wrote:

#434 wrote:
Didn‘t know electric bikes did that… I love my 125, but damn a bike like the Stark is going to be so much nicer to ride...

I love my 125, but damn a bike like the Stark is going to be so much nicer to ride. No vibration, no fanning the clutch or shifting gears, perfect power delivery, consistent handling etc..
That's what riding a 125 is all about. That's what makes it fun. Electric bikes will be easy to ride for sure and take less skill. The challenge of riding a 2 stroke or 4 Stroke is part of the fun. The roar of the engine and vibration is what makes riding a dirt bike fun. Take all that out and you will lose the heart of riding a dirt bike.
motoxrocks
6/13/2022 1:46pm
38special wrote:

#434 wrote:
Didn‘t know electric bikes did that… I love my 125, but damn a bike like the Stark is going to be so much nicer to ride...

Removing much of the skill factor and i just cant see an electric Pro event being any where near as exciting!
6/13/2022 2:08pm
#434 wrote:

That's what riding a 125 is all about. That's what makes it fun. Electric bikes will be easy to ride for sure and take less skill...
That's what riding a 125 is all about. That's what makes it fun. Electric bikes will be easy to ride for sure and take less skill. The challenge of riding a 2 stroke or 4 Stroke is part of the fun. The roar of the engine and vibration is what makes riding a dirt bike fun. Take all that out and you will lose the heart of riding a dirt bike.
I think for me the benefits outweigh the losses.
80% of the riders I see on the track would have much more fun if they had a bike that‘s easier to ride without clutching and shifting. They could focus on their riding, body position and hitting their lines instead of getting some power from the engine to the rear wheel. Just like most people benefited when they switched from 2T to 4T.
6/13/2022 2:11pm
#434 wrote:

motoxrocks wrote:
Removing much of the skill factor and i just cant see an electric Pro event being any where near as exciting!
Riding a bike with drum brakes also required more skills, but nobody would be willing to go back.

Yeah pro racing would be boring, I agree.
Magoofan
Shadow Glen (for those who remember), CA US
6/13/2022 2:21pm
motoxrocks wrote:
4 strokes
holeshot devices
starting grids
start blocks
launch control
quick shift

All have taken the skill out of the sport. Yes, I said 4 strokes. It took real skill to properly ride a 2-smoker.

...now add Electric bikes with no shifting. (and no understanding of how to properly use a powerband)

KONG
6/13/2022 2:22pm
#434 wrote:

Boooooooooooring.
clarkgray432
Fantasy
4009th
6/13/2022 3:21pm
#434 wrote:
Riding a bike with drum brakes also required more skills, but nobody would be willing to go back.

Removing the drum didn’t remove a whole component of the bike though. I know 98% of the people love shifting gears, timing your shifting perfectly, fanning the clutch. riding a dirt bike is a lot more than just turning the throttle. Sure nobody’s willing to go back to drum brakes, but we’re not willing to get rid of brakes.
6/13/2022 3:29pm Edited Date/Time 6/13/2022 3:34pm
#434 wrote:

Removing the drum didn’t remove a whole component of the bike though. I know 98% of the people love shifting gears, timing your shifting perfectly, fanning...
Removing the drum didn’t remove a whole component of the bike though. I know 98% of the people love shifting gears, timing your shifting perfectly, fanning the clutch. riding a dirt bike is a lot more than just turning the throttle. Sure nobody’s willing to go back to drum brakes, but we’re not willing to get rid of brakes.
Sure it did. There was a whole slew of techniques dragging the rear drum to maintain traction. Modern brakes are too good/grabby for any of that.
suspensionguy
Fantasy
2040th
6/13/2022 3:43pm Edited Date/Time 6/13/2022 3:48pm
38special wrote:

#434 wrote:

No shifting, no clutch is a perk to you? Some of us actually ride to challenge ourselves and enjoy fanning a clutch, gear selection, and the metal and physical challenge such things require. Would you also choose a scooter over a skateboard? Without a clutch and the gyrating effect of the motor it’s going to become much more sensitive to “corrections” in the air, which is discussed in some of the reviews of the stark.

And the noise aspect will have absolutely zero impact on anything, you still will only be allowed to ride them where ICE bikes are allowed. You will not see new tracks opening, no new trails or trailheads closer to town. You will not be allowed on mtb trails. If anything it’s going to create MORE user conflicts between user groups as we’re already seeing with electric assist mtb’s(which aren’t allowed on most mtb trails). In my life time I’ve yet to experience a track closed down because of noise. Zoning, dust control and infrastructure wear is what does it. The whole E-mx bike will change the sport is just a pipe dream, you’re still going to be riding a dirt bike and have the same social label you’ve always had.
TeamGreen
6/13/2022 3:43pm
#434 wrote:
The F-150 Lightning is supposed to have up to 9.6 kW of power supply, which means you could charge the Starks 6 kWh battery from zero...
The F-150 Lightning is supposed to have up to 9.6 kW of power supply, which means you could charge the Starks 6 kWh battery from zero to full easily in under an hour.

https://insideevs.com/news/508802/ford-f150-lightning-outlets-backup/amp/
Ford Hybrid F150 has 7.2KW in the bed
ACBraap
Fantasy
564th
6/13/2022 5:20pm
#434 wrote:

No shifting, no clutch is a perk to you? Some of us actually ride to challenge ourselves and enjoy fanning a clutch, gear selection, and the...
No shifting, no clutch is a perk to you? Some of us actually ride to challenge ourselves and enjoy fanning a clutch, gear selection, and the metal and physical challenge such things require. Would you also choose a scooter over a skateboard? Without a clutch and the gyrating effect of the motor it’s going to become much more sensitive to “corrections” in the air, which is discussed in some of the reviews of the stark.

And the noise aspect will have absolutely zero impact on anything, you still will only be allowed to ride them where ICE bikes are allowed. You will not see new tracks opening, no new trails or trailheads closer to town. You will not be allowed on mtb trails. If anything it’s going to create MORE user conflicts between user groups as we’re already seeing with electric assist mtb’s(which aren’t allowed on most mtb trails). In my life time I’ve yet to experience a track closed down because of noise. Zoning, dust control and infrastructure wear is what does it. The whole E-mx bike will change the sport is just a pipe dream, you’re still going to be riding a dirt bike and have the same social label you’ve always had.
In WA, the last new track that was going to open was shut down due to noise concerns. It's definitely an issue with backyard tracks. Noise and dust were what neighbors complained about when I had a track. Look at how houses have encroached around Washougal and it's not hard to see how that is going to end. Electric may defer it a bit.
Magoofan
Shadow Glen (for those who remember), CA US
6/13/2022 5:44pm
#434 wrote:

No shifting, no clutch is a perk to you? Some of us actually ride to challenge ourselves and enjoy fanning a clutch, gear selection, and the...

ACBraap wrote:
In WA, the last new track that was going to open was shut down due to noise concerns. It's definitely an issue with backyard tracks. Noise...
In WA, the last new track that was going to open was shut down due to noise concerns. It's definitely an issue with backyard tracks. Noise and dust were what neighbors complained about when I had a track. Look at how houses have encroached around Washougal and it's not hard to see how that is going to end. Electric may defer it a bit.
Search for this for a glimpse of the future....Whistling

SUNDAY MORNING RIDE … 1984
By Rick Sieman/April 1973

yota
6/13/2022 7:11pm
Joshracing wrote:
Just throw a petrol Generator in the back of your truck. In some parts of Australia now (at larger gas stations), they have diesel generators to...

hey. let's burn diesel fuel to charge our earth saving electric cars!

Post a reply to: The solution to the last problem of electric dirt bikes?

The Latest