The reason...

moscrop940
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 5:00am
This one is gonna come alittle out of left field, I apologize in advance if I waste your time on this one,

To bring you up to speed in a few sentences. Im laying on the floor of a hospital room. I have a sheet, a pillow, and a busted mattress, but tonight...this is home. To my right is my mom, shes in the hospital after loosing her kidney to a couple of cancerous tumors that were found......This is the 5th surgery shes had for different cancers, all unrealted to eachother other then 2 breast cancer surgeries....My mom is not a smoker nor a drinker. She has lived a cleaner life then most nun's, yet here she is hooked to more machines then I care to count right now..... I digress......

Two days ago I told my mom I was going to race for the California state championships, in hopes to win a title before going up a class. When I told her all she said was (and Im paraphrasing here) "If you want to go out and break your legs again, then go for it, but your paying the bill this time...."

Anyone that has a moto mom thats a tad against this sport has undoubtedly had the same speech. Its not one of discouragment, but more one out of fear of seeing her baby boy layed up in a hospital again...

After the short conversation I was livid to say the least, but after a short while I came to a small realization....My mother has never ridden a dirt bike in her life, and she has been in the hospital far more then I have. She risks almost nothing and is still in more pain then most of us on this thread have ever been in.

But yes back to my point......People ask my the reason I race and risk my life every single time I choose to throw a leg over my trusty zook.....whats "The reason"

The reason? Tommrow isnt guarnteed, no matter how much we tend to think were invincible, it can end in a flash with no rhyme or reason. I ride because I am not foolish enough to believe that I couldnt die tommrow...Everytime I ride I revel in how alive I feel.... the feeling of being 5th wide open holding on to nothing but a set of pro tapers, thats when Im living....because I know tommrow it could be gone in half a breath....whether it be from my bike, my car, or cancer....

Because if learning anything from my mom and her multiple cancer scares its this....It doesnt matter what we do, life is going to throw challenges every step of the way. Whether your a soccer mom or Evel Knievel, you never know what this life is going to throw at you. You can live the cleanest life possible and end up in a hospital 10x more then a dare devil.

In closing, I'd like to thank the few, if any, people that read this thread in its entirety. I feel that if anyone group of people in this world could relate to my plight.....it would undoubtedly be the extended family I lovingly refer to as the motocross community....

Best wishes,

Ryan Moscrop #940
|
Hank_Thrill
12/1/2010 11:37pm
Well put
Good luck if you do the race
And I wish your mom a full recovery!
Motodrew295
12/1/2010 11:43pm
Good read, thanks for sharing. Our moms sound a lot alike and I broke both my legs too! And that is one of the many feelings to ride and race a dirt bike, to feel alive.

Good luck to your mom and you're whole family.
PFitzG38
12/1/2010 11:53pm
Sorry about your mom, that truly sucks. Your "reason" is the exact reason I started racing again after being off a bike from 1983 until 2001 after breaking my neck in an amateur SX at Anahiem Stadium. I know exactly what you mean and completely agree.

Trying to explain to people who have never raced what it feels like to train and beat someone who used to be faster than you, or to downside a jump that used to scare you or what it feels like to take a gate drop and pull a holeshot against 39 of your peers who want it almost as bad as you do is pointless. They will never get it. I stopped trying to explain "Why" a long time ago.

Good Luck to your moms fight and you in the CA State Championships!
Billy Jack
12/2/2010 12:12am
HOF post! Great post and will be praying for your mom. You are right....nothing like riding!

The Shop

seth505
Fantasy
1271st
12/2/2010 6:32am
I did get the same speeches! My mom thought racing mx was crazy when she finally came to a race, just stood there crying haaha.

Best wishes for your mom being in the least amount of pain possible. People suffering really really sucks.
Mxfreak_24
12/2/2010 6:37am
Thanks for sharing that story, and I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I'll keep her and your family in my thoughts and prayers, I know this is hard on everyone.

Also good luck to you in the California State Championships. Let us know how you do.
thiel77
12/2/2010 6:50am
Dude that is the best post ive read, ever. And I agree, my mom never really understood the whole things, even when she came to the races. She understands it better, but not fully. Riding/Racing is one of the best feelings ever.

And I agree, there is nothing promised to us in this life. Ill be praying for you, your mom, and your entire family. My own family has been touched by cancer twice now, and its very tough. Stay strong man.
twoboysdadtx
12/2/2010 7:07am
Great post and thanks for sharing. My mom has had many and I mean many operations also. She is the strongest person I know. She just keeps getting up everyday and does the things she still can and never complains about her life. She never did want me to ride a bike of any kind after losing my cousin in a street accident. But she never asked me to stop either. She was relieved when I stopped riding and doing all the crazy things I use to do to raise a family. Then her two grandson's started riding and racing and she did not like it but never ask me not to let them ride. I say this because I know what you are going through and I will say a prayer for you and your mom. Keep up the fight and live life with no regrets and be strong for her.
DPR250R
12/2/2010 7:37am
Hope everything works out for your mom and good luck at the races.
Sparkey
12/2/2010 7:59am
Said a prayer for your mom. Sounds like an amazing and strong woman. Hope she's there to give you 'the speech' for many years to come.

Good luck at GH

moscrop940
12/2/2010 10:04am
Gentlemen thank you for the kind words of prayer and encouargment that was sent to my mom and I throughout the night. It's people like you who make this sport so great.

A quick update my mom is gettin alittle better, the doc is saying he wants her to walk a few feet tonight, and hopefully she can get some chicken broth or jello down come tommrow morning.

Thank you again for the prayers and encouragment.

Best wishes,

Ryan Moscrop #940
Adam43
12/2/2010 1:20pm
Great post.

None of us are on this earth for long, and you never know when your time is up. If there's something you truly love and are passionate about, you gotta do it.

Being extremely cautious in all aspects of your life means not living at all.

All the best to your mom.
Lightning78
12/2/2010 1:20pm
"But yes back to my point......People ask my the reason I race and risk my life every single time I choose to throw a leg over my trusty zook.....whats "The reason"

The reason? Tommrow isnt guarnteed, no matter how much we tend to think were invincible, it can end in a flash with no rhyme or reason. I ride because I am not foolish enough to believe that I couldnt die tommrow...Everytime I ride I revel in how alive I feel.... the feeling of being 5th wide open holding on to nothing but a set of pro tapers, thats when Im living....because I know tommrow it could be gone in half a breath....whether it be from my bike, my car, or cancer...."

That was beautiful.....I get a lot of static from most noteably my mom and the rest of my family and friends that do not know whats its like to ride, they do not understand no matter how much I try to explain this very same thing..... thank you for putting it into words.
psychcle
12/2/2010 1:30pm
brave words... brave heart... hopefully it will all buff out... ;-)
Andimers
12/2/2010 4:08pm
Incredible post! All the best to you, your mom and the rest of your family. Stay strong!
endo
12/2/2010 4:36pm
Great post, best wishes for your mom...

Here's the way I feel about it- " I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death".

Incidently, my parents- both of whom don't care for my riding/racing activities, understand and somewhat appreciate that mentality.
moscrop940
12/2/2010 9:15pm
Goodevening gentlemen,

Just thought Id give everyone a quick update on my mom.

What was suppose to be a day of rest was everything but....She has be riddled with concerned friends and family and has little to no sleep through out the day. Shes behind schedule on recovery to say the least. The doc was hoping for her to be walking by today but she has hardly been able to lift her head.

As of right now were looking at another 5 to 6 days additional here, which means 5 to 6 more nights on a rock hard matress in the corner of the room, but its a small price knowing my mom is under constant care.

Have a great night everyone, and again thank you for your thoughts and prayers....

Best wishes,

Ryan Moscrop #940
Old Mate
12/2/2010 9:18pm Edited Date/Time 12/2/2010 9:19pm
Well put
Good luck if you do the race
And I wish your mom a full recovery!
X2 Ryan and as for the bad news on your Mom, just look after her bro!
andymoto
12/2/2010 10:34pm
Best wishes and prayers for success to the both of you!

dl117
Fantasy
2587th
12/3/2010 5:18am
I still get those speaches from my mom, and I am 36 y/o. And her and my dad are the reason I started racing. One weekend last season my buddies were trying to have me play follow the leader off this triple out of a corner just to gauge my speed.......she went nuts on me and told me if you do that........blah......blah....

Well good luck in the state championship, and I hope your mom makes a full recovery.
jndmx
12/3/2010 6:14am
Ryan;
Thank you for posting that, it really does put things in perspective.

I recently lost my dad to cancer and I know how heartbreaking it is to see your parents go through the pain and life changing effects of that disease.

Sending my thoughts and prayers out to your mom and family.
Hang in there and hopefully things will be better soon.

Donn
12/3/2010 7:08am
Wow great post Ryan. Thanks for Sharing. Prayers for your mom and a quick recovery.

That being said you still living in Palm Desert? If so let's go moto once things settle down. I live in the desert as well.
12/3/2010 7:37am
Great post and I pray for a quick recovery for your Mom. Sounds like she's just as worried about you as you are for your Mom. Motocross made me addicted to adrenaline and it's hard to explain to people who don't have that craving. You're right in that we don't control the deck of cards we get dealt in life. Good luck to you on the track and again a quick and healthy recovery for your Mom.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
12/3/2010 7:51am
Really good read and so true about people not understanding. Most of my closest came around about ten years ago but still do not get it. All the best wishes for your moms recovery.
DL
12/3/2010 7:52am
Ryno, well said and from the heart. We wish your mom the best in her recovery. She is in our prayers..... FYI Ryan is 20 years old and mature way beyond his years........ see you soon buddy.
nc_mx_kid
12/3/2010 8:57am
agreed

Ive been racing since 1998, my mom then came ot every race and sometimes practice. Today she has only been to 1 race since I started racing A class 1 1/2years ago. We don't discuss motocross or my racing much today, and I sell bikes at a multi-line dealership everyday.....
moscrop940
12/3/2010 11:19am
Goodmorning gentlemen,

Today is the start of day 3, and for the first time shes able to talk above a whisper. Were hoping to get her out of bed this morning, or to sit up right at the very least. My mom is 5'5 and weighs 108 pounds soaking wet, so this medicine is absolutley ruining her....She needs it for the pain but its making her extremley sick. Shes healing slower then hoped, so were looking at tuesday at a realease time at the very earliest....

Every day I will continue to keep you guys posted, I thank anyone and everyone who has thought positivley and said prayers for my mom, this means more to her and I then you can imagine.

Best wishes,

Ryan Moscrop #940.

P.S. I read my mom everything that has been written when shes awake, and she thanks all of from the bottom of her heart.
OnTrack
12/3/2010 11:23am
Ryan, I had to create an account and come on here to say this to you... what a great son you are and what a wonderful mom who raised you to be such a testimony for our motocross family, from your heart and soul you speak it so eloquently.
I am honored to know you and love you like a son. Your mom is strong and she will get through this once again. It is awesome that you are by her side. Even though she told you like it is when it comes to riding I can guarantee that she does understand your reason as hard as it gets, and it gets real hard. This I know.
I also know the feeling you describe and understand 100%! Love you kid! Let us know when we can take care of you when all is settled....
Andi ; )
moscrop940
12/3/2010 12:06pm
moscrop940 wrote:
This one is gonna come alittle out of left field, I apologize in advance if I waste your time on this one, To bring you up...
This one is gonna come alittle out of left field, I apologize in advance if I waste your time on this one,

To bring you up to speed in a few sentences. Im laying on the floor of a hospital room. I have a sheet, a pillow, and a busted mattress, but tonight...this is home. To my right is my mom, shes in the hospital after loosing her kidney to a couple of cancerous tumors that were found......This is the 5th surgery shes had for different cancers, all unrealted to eachother other then 2 breast cancer surgeries....My mom is not a smoker nor a drinker. She has lived a cleaner life then most nun's, yet here she is hooked to more machines then I care to count right now..... I digress......

Two days ago I told my mom I was going to race for the California state championships, in hopes to win a title before going up a class. When I told her all she said was (and Im paraphrasing here) "If you want to go out and break your legs again, then go for it, but your paying the bill this time...."

Anyone that has a moto mom thats a tad against this sport has undoubtedly had the same speech. Its not one of discouragment, but more one out of fear of seeing her baby boy layed up in a hospital again...

After the short conversation I was livid to say the least, but after a short while I came to a small realization....My mother has never ridden a dirt bike in her life, and she has been in the hospital far more then I have. She risks almost nothing and is still in more pain then most of us on this thread have ever been in.

But yes back to my point......People ask my the reason I race and risk my life every single time I choose to throw a leg over my trusty zook.....whats "The reason"

The reason? Tommrow isnt guarnteed, no matter how much we tend to think were invincible, it can end in a flash with no rhyme or reason. I ride because I am not foolish enough to believe that I couldnt die tommrow...Everytime I ride I revel in how alive I feel.... the feeling of being 5th wide open holding on to nothing but a set of pro tapers, thats when Im living....because I know tommrow it could be gone in half a breath....whether it be from my bike, my car, or cancer....

Because if learning anything from my mom and her multiple cancer scares its this....It doesnt matter what we do, life is going to throw challenges every step of the way. Whether your a soccer mom or Evel Knievel, you never know what this life is going to throw at you. You can live the cleanest life possible and end up in a hospital 10x more then a dare devil.

In closing, I'd like to thank the few, if any, people that read this thread in its entirety. I feel that if anyone group of people in this world could relate to my plight.....it would undoubtedly be the extended family I lovingly refer to as the motocross community....

Best wishes,

Ryan Moscrop #940
Thank you Andi...I appreciate the effort it took for you to make an account just to respond to me.

I will keep you ,Don,Ali and Michael posted every step of the way.

I love you like a mom Andi,

Ryan Moscrop

Post a reply to: The reason...

The Latest