The price of new bikes

Timo_2824
1/11/2019 9:49pm
I've owned 2 and 4 strokes and don't get why people think 2 strokes are easier/cheaper. I've owned a 250f for 10 years and only did pistons and rings 3 times. I rebuilt the head once just to see how hard it was and it was super easy. Stock bottom end still going strong. Ran the top ends 100-130 hours and the only thing out of spec during the rebuilds was always the wrist pin. My 2 strokes needed pistons at ~50 hours and my cranks seemed to only last a couple of years before there was too much play on the big end. Take care of a 4 stroke and it'll easily out last a 2 stroke.
Note: I'm still running a 2-stroke waverunner, you wanna complain about rebuild costs...
jeffro503
1/11/2019 10:08pm
I buy all my bikes with cash / check. I save until I get enough to by myself things without hurting my real savings. I've been buying my bikes this way since 1990. I was young and stupid and bought a new 250 for $4500.00.......and it cost me $11,000.00 by the time it was paid off. Screw that!! In fact I haven't owned a credit card in 15 year's.

It becomes a lot easier to save money.....when you don't have to make payments on multiple things. Simplify your life.......can really releive a lot of stress.
kb228
1/12/2019 4:50am
Timo_2824 wrote:
I've owned 2 and 4 strokes and don't get why people think 2 strokes are easier/cheaper. I've owned a 250f for 10 years and only did...
I've owned 2 and 4 strokes and don't get why people think 2 strokes are easier/cheaper. I've owned a 250f for 10 years and only did pistons and rings 3 times. I rebuilt the head once just to see how hard it was and it was super easy. Stock bottom end still going strong. Ran the top ends 100-130 hours and the only thing out of spec during the rebuilds was always the wrist pin. My 2 strokes needed pistons at ~50 hours and my cranks seemed to only last a couple of years before there was too much play on the big end. Take care of a 4 stroke and it'll easily out last a 2 stroke.
Note: I'm still running a 2-stroke waverunner, you wanna complain about rebuild costs...
This. Ive experienced the same. Yea 1 rebuild is more money but you dont have to do it as often on 4 strokes.
mikec265
1/12/2019 5:10am
Tarz483 wrote:
Conclusion is Get Rich or Die Trying! The people enjoying life are the people with money ! Instead of worrying about how to save money Start...
Conclusion is Get Rich or Die Trying!
The people enjoying life are the people with money !
Instead of worrying about how to save money
Start worrying about how to make more...

Im on the poor side myself i was born that way and i have yet to figure out how to break the cycle but i am convinced
That it is a must !
To Get rich or die trying.

As Far as vehicles go, accept the fact that you are always going yo have a payment and lease a Brand New one,
This way you slways have a new vehicle and its always under warranty. Your payments are less than they would be if buying. And you will not ever be upside down (negative value)
If you dont buy new than buy a $2000 to $5000 vehicle
Wear it out and replace.
If you buy a $10,000 to $15,000 vehicle
You Have the sane payment as you would leasing a new one and by the time its paid off you need a new one anyway, so you may as well lease the New one.
If you drive a lot of miles factor that in upfront and pay a little higher payment.
The reasoning in this post will keep you on the poor side. Don't get a loan or lease for a car, you will never come away...
The reasoning in this post will keep you on the poor side. Don't get a loan or lease for a car, you will never come away better. Buy what you can afford with cash.....

One of the very many articles on the subject...
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/11/david-bach-says-buying-a-new-car-is-the…
Tarz483 wrote:
I always pay cash
And drive beaters, but if i was gonna get a nicer vehicle
I would lease new for sure
I drive a 2005 minivan. Leased a new half ton Ram for my wife and kids for under $300 a month. It's a write off for my little trucking company. I'd rather have another brand of truck but for the price it didn't add up good enough. Cars are a money losing deal usually.

The Shop

davis224
Fantasy
138th
1/12/2019 5:39am Edited Date/Time 1/12/2019 5:42am
When you factor in the quality/performance of bike you're getting compared to that of a street bike or car, motocross bikes aren't that expensive. Mainly in just the suspension and engine. You can race a bone stock bike at the professional level and not look silly/be somewhat competitive, that is far from the case with anything else.
dcg141
1/12/2019 6:28am
barnett468 wrote:
craiglist is alive and well in so cal. you can also try offerup.com and ebay.

For whatever reason it has died off around here. There have been enough people robbed at the exchange that I know personally of 3. The local cops setup exchange areas but it came to late. I bought my last 3 vehicles off CL but having trouble finding any currently.
dcg141
1/12/2019 6:49am
Tarz483 wrote:
I always pay cash
I do the same. The problem I'm running into now is the price of beaters is getting to high for what you get. I honestly have been shocked at the prices out there. I found a 03 GX 470 on a used lot with 180000 miles on it with a bad transmission and offered them 3 grand cash and they acted like I insulted them. 13 years old coming up on 200000 miles, bad tranny and none of the major services ever documented.
1/12/2019 7:08am
Doddy wrote:
You can get base(white fleet model with rollups) model pickups for 15k-20k, and brand new 2 strokes for under 7k OTD. Not everyone needs a Ford...
You can get base(white fleet model with rollups) model pickups for 15k-20k, and brand new 2 strokes for under 7k OTD. Not everyone needs a Ford Raptor and a factory edition 4stroke. Seems like people want the "best", but not pay for it.
I stole my Ram with 14,000 on it from Carmax. 1500 base model, 2wd not hemi, short bed, roll up windows, but it has an aux jack- taxes tags and title OTD for 15k. There wasn’t a single scratch in the bed.

Sometimes I see guys in badass new Tacoma’s and think my truck is chump, but then I remember my infantile sized payment (when I had it) and laugh. Cars are a funny thing. You see someone driving their badass car and think they’ve got it all figured out but reality is always different from appearance.

Bikes are very similar. I bought an 18 125sx for 1200 less than a 19 and all I didn’t get was new style plastics.. haven’t been beat by someone on a 19 yet. Having the latest is awesome but there’s something very savory about passing someone while on “old” equipment.
jeffro503
1/12/2019 7:14am
Doddy wrote:
You can get base(white fleet model with rollups) model pickups for 15k-20k, and brand new 2 strokes for under 7k OTD. Not everyone needs a Ford...
You can get base(white fleet model with rollups) model pickups for 15k-20k, and brand new 2 strokes for under 7k OTD. Not everyone needs a Ford Raptor and a factory edition 4stroke. Seems like people want the "best", but not pay for it.
I stole my Ram with 14,000 on it from Carmax. 1500 base model, 2wd not hemi, short bed, roll up windows, but it has an aux...
I stole my Ram with 14,000 on it from Carmax. 1500 base model, 2wd not hemi, short bed, roll up windows, but it has an aux jack- taxes tags and title OTD for 15k. There wasn’t a single scratch in the bed.

Sometimes I see guys in badass new Tacoma’s and think my truck is chump, but then I remember my infantile sized payment (when I had it) and laugh. Cars are a funny thing. You see someone driving their badass car and think they’ve got it all figured out but reality is always different from appearance.

Bikes are very similar. I bought an 18 125sx for 1200 less than a 19 and all I didn’t get was new style plastics.. haven’t been beat by someone on a 19 yet. Having the latest is awesome but there’s something very savory about passing someone while on “old” equipment.
Haha....I did the exact same Jeff. I liked the looks of my 18' TC 250 better then the 19' and saved about $1300.00+ compared to the 19'. At my age , I don't need the latest and greatest , especially when there isn't much difference between 2 bikes , 1 year apart.
downard254
1/12/2019 7:21am
jeffro503 wrote:
I buy all my bikes with cash / check. I save until I get enough to by myself things without hurting my real savings. I've been...
I buy all my bikes with cash / check. I save until I get enough to by myself things without hurting my real savings. I've been buying my bikes this way since 1990. I was young and stupid and bought a new 250 for $4500.00.......and it cost me $11,000.00 by the time it was paid off. Screw that!! In fact I haven't owned a credit card in 15 year's.

It becomes a lot easier to save money.....when you don't have to make payments on multiple things. Simplify your life.......can really releive a lot of stress.
I’m about the same Jeff. Since I was 15 and working when not in school, i had X dollars in the bank, if I wanted to buy something, then I would start hoarding cash until I had X dollars + the price of what I wanted. As far as credit cards, I still use the same methodology, I don’t buy it if I don’t have the cash to do so, but I will use a credit card for the purchase, take the points and pay off the balance each month. Credit card companies hate me. I was actually dropped because on one card I bought every damn thing on the card, and paid it off. They were cutting me checks for about $150/month. That card is no longer offered.
On a side note, if you are looking for a used bike or whatever, check craigslist, then go to Facebook Marketplace, you will most likely find better prices and more selection. You may have to drive a little further, but it’s all about the deal right?
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
1/12/2019 7:42am
The reasoning in this post will keep you on the poor side. Don't get a loan or lease for a car, you will never come away...
The reasoning in this post will keep you on the poor side. Don't get a loan or lease for a car, you will never come away better. Buy what you can afford with cash.....

One of the very many articles on the subject...
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/11/david-bach-says-buying-a-new-car-is-the…
Tarz483 wrote:
I always pay cash
mikec265 wrote:
I drive a 2005 minivan. Leased a new half ton Ram for my wife and kids for under $300 a month. It's a write off for...
I drive a 2005 minivan. Leased a new half ton Ram for my wife and kids for under $300 a month. It's a write off for my little trucking company. I'd rather have another brand of truck but for the price it didn't add up good enough. Cars are a money losing deal usually.
For someone not to Concerned with self image
Dodge And Chrysler minivans Run forever they are like an American version of a Toyota Camry.
You can get them cheap and they are super reliable.
And cheap and parts are cheap if anything does break.
They cant fit a bike, but they can pull a trailer.
I would rather have a truck for manly reasons but if your on a budget they are tough to beat.
We currently have a 2007 Town & Country with 148k miles
I bought it at an auction with 130k for $1300.
Also have a 2001 Dodge Ram regular cab long box 2wd
I paid less than $1000 for if on a budget deals are out there.
I worked on the car business for many years.
swtwtwtw
1/12/2019 7:46am
SPYGUY wrote:
Obviously you can spend a ton on a Harley or a Goldwing but you can get also get this 700cc twin cylinder bike from Yamaha for...
Obviously you can spend a ton on a Harley or a Goldwing but you can get also get this 700cc twin cylinder bike from Yamaha for $600 cheaper than a YZ250F.

I understand the ongoing cost of R&D for motocross bikes, but still, that's a lot more bike for the money.
Or one can get this for $9995

Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
1/12/2019 7:50am Edited Date/Time 1/12/2019 8:31am
Tarz483 wrote:
I always pay cash
dcg141 wrote:
I do the same. The problem I'm running into now is the price of beaters is getting to high for what you get. I honestly have...
I do the same. The problem I'm running into now is the price of beaters is getting to high for what you get. I honestly have been shocked at the prices out there. I found a 03 GX 470 on a used lot with 180000 miles on it with a bad transmission and offered them 3 grand cash and they acted like I insulted them. 13 years old coming up on 200000 miles, bad tranny and none of the major services ever documented.
If you havent yet Checkout copart auto auction.
They are nationwide and mostly known as salvage car auctions however not all the cars there are salvaged.
They do get almost all insurance companies crashed cars which is why they are known that way but they also get a lot of donated cars from cars for kids and several other places and sometimes siezed cars etc.
In most states you dont have to have a dealers license to buy from them.
However you do want to make sure you go see the vehicle in person and check it out thoroughly.
mxpro252
1/12/2019 8:29am
This reminds me of conversations that have been going on a lot more recently, everything is getting noticeably more expensive. My new $15 / hour minimum wage is no longer getting me what it used to
1/12/2019 8:56am Edited Date/Time 1/12/2019 8:57am
Timo_2824 wrote:
I've owned 2 and 4 strokes and don't get why people think 2 strokes are easier/cheaper. I've owned a 250f for 10 years and only did...
kb228 wrote:
This. Ive experienced the same. Yea 1 rebuild is more money but you dont have to do it as often on 4 strokes.
It’s hurting the sport at the professional level. They don’t rebuild bikes every now and then like us amateurs do. But even at the amateur level, two strokes are cheaper.
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
1/12/2019 8:58am
mxpro252 wrote:
This reminds me of conversations that have been going on a lot more recently, everything is getting noticeably more expensive. My new $15 / hour minimum...
This reminds me of conversations that have been going on a lot more recently, everything is getting noticeably more expensive. My new $15 / hour minimum wage is no longer getting me what it used to
Hypothetically if you were someone making less than $15
you at least had hope that the raise would make your life better.
Maybe it didn't work out that way, but you new for fact that
You didnt make enough to afford anything when you were making less than $15
KDXGarage
1/12/2019 9:42am
Doddy wrote:
I stole my Ram with 14,000 on it from Carmax. 1500 base model, 2wd not hemi, short bed, roll up windows, but it has an aux...

WOW! You are going through hard times! You feel that your 2018 bike is "old". You poor guy, you!

Someone put this guy on suicide watch when the first post hits about 2020's being on the dealer floor!
Hammer 663s
1/12/2019 9:51am
Local dealer has new 2018 RMZ450s for $5900. 2019s are $7950. That's not bad.
yz133rider
1/12/2019 9:55am
And its a damn GOOD bike
SPYGUY
Fantasy
748th
1/12/2019 10:15am
mxpro252 wrote:
This reminds me of conversations that have been going on a lot more recently, everything is getting noticeably more expensive. My new $15 / hour minimum...
Tarz483 wrote:
Hypothetically if you were someone making less than $15 you at least had hope that the raise would make your life better. Maybe it didn't work...
Only someone that doesn't understand basic economics would have that hope.

Why stop at $15? Why not $25 an hour? Heck, let's just make it $100 an hour so that no one will ever have to worry about money again! That's how it works, right?

mxpro252
1/12/2019 10:16am
mxpro252 wrote:
Tarz483 wrote:
Hypothetically if you were someone making less than $15 you at least had hope that the raise would make your life better. Maybe it didn't work...
That was likely the thought process for a lot of people that supported it.
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
1/12/2019 10:25am
mxpro252 wrote:
Tarz483 wrote:
mxpro252 wrote:
That was likely the thought process for a lot of people that supported it.
i definitely think it was
yz133rider
1/12/2019 10:25am Edited Date/Time 1/12/2019 10:27am
mxpro252 wrote:
Tarz483 wrote:
Yes bad idea. If that happened hello $15 mcdonalds value menu. Hello even more electronics, robots, automated instead of entry level employees. So goodbye even more jobs.

Want more than minimum wage? Hustle, work hard, learn something, make yourself valuable.

All takes sacrifices.

One thing i see alot is poor people think the " rich " just became rich. They had to make sacrifices, a ton of smart and hard choices in order to get there. It didnt just happen and wasnt given to them.

Another misconception seems to be if someone else is rich its taking from someone else. Its Not that way. Theres no shortage of money to be earned and piled. You just have to make yourself valuable. More value ypu bring to a company, to consumers., to society the more you will/can earn. The rich arent stealing from the poor or holding out from the poor. Theres money out there to be earned. Not sure why this is turning into a financial conversation i apologize but it is a worthy conversation anyway.

Im neither poor or rich somewhere between but ive seen what it takes to "make" it and it takes some real effort and some real planning.
nytsmaC
1/12/2019 10:27am
Yup. The cost of bikes isn’t the problem, there are great deals to be had out there. People complain about some of the new bikes costing $10,000+ but no one is being forced to go that route.
1/12/2019 10:59am
KDXGarage wrote:
WOW! You are going through hard times! You feel that your 2018 bike is "old". You poor guy, you! Someone put this guy on suicide watch...
WOW! You are going through hard times! You feel that your 2018 bike is "old". You poor guy, you!

Someone put this guy on suicide watch when the first post hits about 2020's being on the dealer floor!
Emphasis made with the quotation marks around old.. implying it’s not the most recent model... poking fun at people who need the newest shit...

But hey why use sense when reading someone’s comments when you can put blinders on then get triggered and call them out for something they didn’t even do. It’s 2019. That’s the way now, yeah?
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
1/12/2019 11:04am Edited Date/Time 1/12/2019 11:09am
mxpro252 wrote:
Tarz483 wrote:
yz133rider wrote:
Yes bad idea. If that happened hello $15 mcdonalds value menu. Hello even more electronics, robots, automated instead of entry level employees. So goodbye even more...
Yes bad idea. If that happened hello $15 mcdonalds value menu. Hello even more electronics, robots, automated instead of entry level employees. So goodbye even more jobs.

Want more than minimum wage? Hustle, work hard, learn something, make yourself valuable.

All takes sacrifices.

One thing i see alot is poor people think the " rich " just became rich. They had to make sacrifices, a ton of smart and hard choices in order to get there. It didnt just happen and wasnt given to them.

Another misconception seems to be if someone else is rich its taking from someone else. Its Not that way. Theres no shortage of money to be earned and piled. You just have to make yourself valuable. More value ypu bring to a company, to consumers., to society the more you will/can earn. The rich arent stealing from the poor or holding out from the poor. Theres money out there to be earned. Not sure why this is turning into a financial conversation i apologize but it is a worthy conversation anyway.

Im neither poor or rich somewhere between but ive seen what it takes to "make" it and it takes some real effort and some real planning.
I Agree there is still opportunity, for people that are willing to put in the effort necessary, But i do feel being born in some families vs others makes a difference also, not that you cant still get there and not even just about money, but in guidance and being taught the right things.
Also some are just Born Rich!

Here is a super interesting Documentary about children that are born rich.

https://youtu.be/km_JmxnzTvc
JBecker 72
1/12/2019 2:01pm
nytsmaC wrote:
Yup. The cost of bikes isn’t the problem, there are great deals to be had out there. People complain about some of the new bikes costing...
Yup. The cost of bikes isn’t the problem, there are great deals to be had out there. People complain about some of the new bikes costing $10,000+ but no one is being forced to go that route.
I’m probably gonna end up on a new left over KX250F for $5k out the door in a couple months. Saving my cash now. Though I’ve financed in the past and paid them off quick.

Post a reply to: The price of new bikes

The Latest