The price of new bikes

dcg141
Edited Date/Time 1/12/2019 2:01pm
I have seen and heard a ton of complaining about new bike prices but after 3 months of trying to find any kind of decent deal with a used truck or SUV I'm not hearing it any longer. Just for fun go to Autotrader and type in $10000 and truck or SUV as your only search criteria and see what pops up. Worn out piles of shit are what come up. Even 20 grand does not buy you something that inspires much confidence. To make matters worse since Craigslist has lost favor with sellers there is no good place to find vehicles for sale from individuals any longer. So your stuck with used car lots with everything at 2-3 grand over NADA. New bikes, even Factory Editions look like bargains by comparison.
|
IDMegaMoto
1/11/2019 11:55am
I use Searchtempest...it searches all of the Craigslist sites in an adjustable mile range. I try to buy my used bikes from people who live in major cities...my theory is they have to travel far to ride....tricking out their bike at home is a hobby...but they don't get to ride it very much. It has meant some long drives, and once I came home empty handed...but when I show up with cash ready to buy...I have always gotten what I consider a good deal...on what I consider a trick bike.
SPYGUY
Fantasy
725th
1/11/2019 11:57am
For me, the high price of new bikes isn't so much the problem as much as the fact that you can't resell the thing a year or two later unless it's got less than 10 hours on it, which isn't possible for those of us that actually like to ride them.

As far as new vehicles, yeah...they're insanely high because the majority of buyers are clueless and shop on payment instead of price without putting much thought into the difference between making that payment for 60 months vs 84 months. And the reason no individuals list on craigslist anymore is because most people are still upside down on the note when they decide they must have something new and are therefore forced to trade in their vehicle to the dealer so that they can just roll the payments over to the new loan.
kb228
1/11/2019 12:00pm
Complaints about prices of new bikes is funny to me. Yet theres plenty of people spending $25,000 on a freakin harley. A HARLEY.

Dirtbikes are motorcycles just like any street bike. People expect them to be priced like toys.
fourfourone
1/11/2019 12:03pm
The used market on bikes SUCKS. I see people selling 1-2 year old bikes that are super clean with low hours for HALF of what they were new.

Ive been tyring to find a truck for under 15k to replace my 2016 silverado. Damn near impossible

The Shop

SPYGUY
Fantasy
725th
1/11/2019 12:20pm
kb228 wrote:
Complaints about prices of new bikes is funny to me. Yet theres plenty of people spending $25,000 on a freakin harley. A HARLEY. Dirtbikes are motorcycles...
Complaints about prices of new bikes is funny to me. Yet theres plenty of people spending $25,000 on a freakin harley. A HARLEY.

Dirtbikes are motorcycles just like any street bike. People expect them to be priced like toys.
Obviously you can spend a ton on a Harley or a Goldwing but you can get also get this 700cc twin cylinder bike from Yamaha for $600 cheaper than a YZ250F.

I understand the ongoing cost of R&D for motocross bikes, but still, that's a lot more bike for the money.
Natester551v
1/11/2019 12:44pm
The used market on bikes SUCKS. I see people selling 1-2 year old bikes that are super clean with low hours for HALF of what they...
The used market on bikes SUCKS. I see people selling 1-2 year old bikes that are super clean with low hours for HALF of what they were new.

Ive been tyring to find a truck for under 15k to replace my 2016 silverado. Damn near impossible
I wonder if this is partially because so many people finance...they can get low interest rates, and show up with no cash on the deal and walk away with a bike. Not my thing, but it may have something to do with the crummy used bike market (for sellers anyways). Could work out well if you pay cash though!!!
fourfourone
1/11/2019 12:50pm
The used market on bikes SUCKS. I see people selling 1-2 year old bikes that are super clean with low hours for HALF of what they...

I wonder if this is partially because so many people finance...they can get low interest rates, and show up with no cash on the deal and...
I wonder if this is partially because so many people finance...they can get low interest rates, and show up with no cash on the deal and walk away with a bike. Not my thing, but it may have something to do with the crummy used bike market (for sellers anyways). Could work out well if you pay cash though!!!
100%
ktmdan
1/11/2019 12:52pm
kb228 wrote:
Complaints about prices of new bikes is funny to me. Yet theres plenty of people spending $25,000 on a freakin harley. A HARLEY. Dirtbikes are motorcycles...

SPYGUY wrote:
Obviously you can spend a ton on a Harley or a Goldwing but you can get also get this 700cc twin cylinder bike from Yamaha for...
Obviously you can spend a ton on a Harley or a Goldwing but you can get also get this 700cc twin cylinder bike from Yamaha for $600 cheaper than a YZ250F.

I understand the ongoing cost of R&D for motocross bikes, but still, that's a lot more bike for the money.
I sold my 2004 fz6 recently. Those bikes are awesome! And cheap too. Paid $1,700 cash for mine.

You can find trucks for low prices but you gotta realize you're not gonna get nice wheels or auto windows and shit like that. Look for a used work truck. In 2009 i bought an '04 tundra single cab long bed for $5,000. I'm still driving it to this day. Trucks these days with their luxurious features are kinda weak in my opinion... it's a freakin truck not an escalade.
That's my race tech rant.
fourfourone
1/11/2019 12:54pm
im trying to find a 2nd gen Tacoma. Just started a new job and will be driving a lot but still need a pick up.
dcg141
1/11/2019 1:03pm
kb228 wrote:

SPYGUY wrote:
Obviously you can spend a ton on a Harley or a Goldwing but you can get also get this 700cc twin cylinder bike from Yamaha for...

Not in relation to brakes and suspension. Those 2 items drive a lot of bike costs. Most of the less expensive street units have way more basic suspension that's non adjustable and brakes that are not top components.
Doddy
1/11/2019 1:16pm
You can get base(white fleet model with rollups) model pickups for 15k-20k, and brand new 2 strokes for under 7k OTD. Not everyone needs a Ford Raptor and a factory edition 4stroke. Seems like people want the "best", but not pay for it.
seth419
1/11/2019 2:53pm
im trying to find a 2nd gen Tacoma. Just started a new job and will be driving a lot but still need a pick up.
Have you looked into 1st gen Tundras? Way more truck for the money.
dcg141
1/11/2019 3:05pm
seth419 wrote:
Have you looked into 1st gen Tundras? Way more truck for the money.
Any used PU is going to be pricey. The deal where you could get one a year or two old with low mileage at a 20-30% discount seems to not apply any longer on trucks.
smoothies862
Fantasy
676th
1/11/2019 5:38pm
Trucks are so outrageously priced. Our vehicles were 2 yrs old with about 18 k miles. Was the sweetest spot i could find at the time. both looked brand new and the money equaled about dollar for mile off new sticker.
barnett468
1/11/2019 5:44pm Edited Date/Time 1/11/2019 5:46pm
dcg141 wrote:
I have seen and heard a ton of complaining about new bike prices but after 3 months of trying to find any kind of decent deal...
I have seen and heard a ton of complaining about new bike prices but after 3 months of trying to find any kind of decent deal with a used truck or SUV I'm not hearing it any longer. Just for fun go to Autotrader and type in $10000 and truck or SUV as your only search criteria and see what pops up. Worn out piles of shit are what come up. Even 20 grand does not buy you something that inspires much confidence. To make matters worse since Craigslist has lost favor with sellers there is no good place to find vehicles for sale from individuals any longer. So your stuck with used car lots with everything at 2-3 grand over NADA. New bikes, even Factory Editions look like bargains by comparison.
craiglist is alive and well in so cal. you can also try offerup.com and ebay.

Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
1/11/2019 5:47pm Edited Date/Time 1/11/2019 6:20pm
Conclusion is Get Rich or Die Trying!
The people enjoying life are the people with money !
Instead of worrying about how to save money
Start worrying about how to make more...

Im on the poor side myself i was born that way and i have yet to figure out how to break the cycle but i am convinced
That it is a must !
To Get rich or die trying.

As Far as vehicles go, accept the fact that you are always going yo have a payment and lease a Brand New one,
This way you slways have a new vehicle and its always under warranty. Your payments are less than they would be if buying. And you will not ever be upside down (negative value)
If you dont buy new than buy a $2000 to $5000 vehicle
Wear it out and replace.
If you buy a $10,000 to $15,000 vehicle
You Have the sane payment as you would leasing a new one and by the time its paid off you need a new one anyway, so you may as well lease the New one.
If you drive a lot of miles factor that in upfront and pay a little higher payment.
1/11/2019 6:30pm
Tarz483 wrote:
Conclusion is Get Rich or Die Trying! The people enjoying life are the people with money ! Instead of worrying about how to save money Start...

Im on the poor side myself i was born that way and i have yet to figure out how to break the cycle but i am convinced
That it is a must !

As Far as vehicles go, accept the fact that you are always going yo have a payment and lease a Brand New one,
This way you slways have a new vehicle and its always under warranty. Your payments are less than they would be if buying. And you will not ever be upside down (negative value)
Wear it out and replace.
You Have the sane payment as you would leasing a new one and by the time its paid off you need a new one anyway, so you may as well lease the New one.
If you drive a lot of miles factor that in upfront and pay a little higher payment.
The reasoning in this post will keep you on the poor side. Don't get a loan or lease for a car, you will never come away better. Buy what you can afford with cash.....

One of the very many articles on the subject...
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/11/david-bach-says-buying-a-new-car-is-the…
kb228
1/11/2019 7:06pm
kb228 wrote:

SPYGUY wrote:

A better comparison would be a 250f to a 600cc supersport.

That wasnt my point. TONs of people shell out 25k+ for harleys when theres bikes that perform better for a lot less money and are also more reliable.

The amount of performance youre getting for the price in mx bikes is well worth $10,000 imo when you compare it to similar street bikes with similar performance efforts from the OEMs.

But those supernakeds like the z900 and fz09 are killer bang for buck bikes. Not as developed as moto bikes tho.
yz133rider
1/11/2019 7:07pm Edited Date/Time 1/11/2019 7:08pm
Tarz483 wrote:
Conclusion is Get Rich or Die Trying! The people enjoying life are the people with money ! Instead of worrying about how to save money Start...

That it is a must !

Wear it out and replace.
It's in your priorities, way of thinking, way of life almost. I read this quote below and its so true. May have been posted here in a similiar thread not sure where i read it.

Poor people spend first and save whats left
Rich people aave first and spend whats left
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
1/11/2019 7:14pm
Tarz483 wrote:

That it is a must !

Wear it out and replace.
The reasoning in this post will keep you on the poor side. Don't get a loan or lease for a car, you will never come away...
The reasoning in this post will keep you on the poor side. Don't get a loan or lease for a car, you will never come away better. Buy what you can afford with cash.....

One of the very many articles on the subject...
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/11/david-bach-says-buying-a-new-car-is-the…
I always pay cash
And drive beaters, but if i was gonna get a nicer vehicle
I would lease new for sure
kb228
1/11/2019 7:16pm
Tarz483 wrote:

That it is a must !

Wear it out and replace.
You dont make more money by having payments lmao. Its not hard to buy a vehicle for 6-10k with cash and have it run for years. Your $350 car payment goes to the bank while my $350 goes to my own account.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
1/11/2019 7:17pm
Tarz483 wrote:

That it is a must !

Wear it out and replace.
yz133rider wrote:
It's in your priorities, way of thinking, way of life almost. I read this quote below and its so true. May have been posted here in...
It's in your priorities, way of thinking, way of life almost. I read this quote below and its so true. May have been posted here in a similiar thread not sure where i read it.

Poor people spend first and save whats left
Rich people aave first and spend whats left
Ive always heard that but i come up short on the regular bills, so how does that work?
Sorry landlord i paid myself first so rent isnt fitting into my budget this month sorry, maybe next month.
1/11/2019 7:18pm
kb228 wrote:

SPYGUY wrote:

Yamaha sells probably 4-5 times as many FZ-07'S as YZ250F's. Lower production cost per unit equals lower retail price.
1/11/2019 7:20pm
dcg141 wrote:
I have seen and heard a ton of complaining about new bike prices but after 3 months of trying to find any kind of decent deal...
No they aren't. Consider the costs of maintaining the bikes for the price of what you paid. Trucks and SUV's have a lot more features and will last and hold value longer than a dirt bike. Costs are what is killing this sport, and costs went waaaay up with four strokes.
yz133rider
1/11/2019 7:21pm
Get less bills or make more money.
Cut out cable, internet, cell phone, bikes, restaurants,booze, cigarrettes, etc etc etc until your "ahead"
Or work 2,3 jobs until your ahead. Takes sacrifices. Working when others are sleeping, working when others are off, nights weekends holidays.

Its 1020pm here time to head out for work...
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
1/11/2019 7:34pm
yz133rider wrote:
Get less bills or make more money. Cut out cable, internet, cell phone, bikes, restaurants,booze, cigarrettes, etc etc etc until your "ahead" Or work 2,3 jobs...
Get less bills or make more money.
Cut out cable, internet, cell phone, bikes, restaurants,booze, cigarrettes, etc etc etc until your "ahead"
Or work 2,3 jobs until your ahead. Takes sacrifices. Working when others are sleeping, working when others are off, nights weekends holidays.

Its 1020pm here time to head out for work...
I dont Drink or smoke, or have cable if i was to cut out internet/phone imo that would be a pretty low quality of life.
But i get what your saying.
wfo4ever
1/11/2019 7:48pm Edited Date/Time 1/11/2019 7:53pm
New dirt bikes are very expensive. It is always best to try to find a good clean used 2-Stroke as they are a lot less money to rebuild and much easier to maintain. Four strokes race bikes are expensive and have ruined it for younger riders wanting a new bike. If you have a major engine failure you are looking at a very expensive parts and service bill. Just ask Mitch Payton about what 4 strokes have done to our sport of motocross. New street bikes are ugly in my opinion. Also riding on the street with everybody driving and texting in their cars is a recipe for disaster. My wife works at the hospital and sees lots of what she calls "trainwreck" victims that were riding a street bike when they were hit by a car. Better off to ride in the dirt in my opinion.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
1/11/2019 7:50pm
wfo4ever wrote:
New dirt bikes are very expensive. It is always best to try to find a good clean used 2-Stroke as they are a lot less money...
New dirt bikes are very expensive. It is always best to try to find a good clean used 2-Stroke as they are a lot less money to rebuild and much easier to maintain. Four strokes race bikes are expensive and have ruined it for younger riders wanting a new bike. If you have a major engine failure you are looking at a very expensive parts and service bill. Just ask Mitch Payton about what 4 strokes have done to our sport of motocross. New street bikes are ugly in my opinion. Also riding on the street with everybody driving and texting in their cars is a recipe for disaster. My wife works at the hospital and sees lots of what she calls "trainwreck" victims that were riding a street bike when they were hit by a car. Better off to ride in the dirt in my opinion.
Is there a podcast where Mitch talks about it ?
Harv379
Fantasy
1988th
1/11/2019 8:26pm
Go shop for a high end mountain bike, or road bike for that matter, if you feel like motorcycles cost too much. Comparing the two will quickly change your mind. You can buy the top of the line carbon 'enduro' mountain bike with carbon wheels for the same price as a brand new 2019 KX450F. If that doesn't change your mind, I'm not sure what will...
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
1/11/2019 8:32pm Edited Date/Time 1/11/2019 8:34pm
Yeah i cant even Fathom $9000
Bicycles, i payed $50 dollars for my Current Bicycle

Post a reply to: The price of new bikes

The Latest