The official word on the Villopoto red light call

Bauer
2/27/2012 8:31pm
wawazat wrote:
[b]We do expect you to maintain at least a reasonable level of civility. Treat others the way you want to be treated. Don’t post things that...
We do expect you to maintain at least a reasonable level of civility. Treat others the way you want to be treated. Don’t post things that you wouldn’t say when face-to-face with another person. So name calling, insults, and personal attacks are lame. So is keyboard bravery

So expecting an "Official Word" any minute about the name calling.

Nobody can disagree around here anymore without the name calling?
GuyB wrote:
Being the sensitive, law-abiding citizen that you are... Wink
Ing wrote:
Another perfect example of rules only applying to certain people.
No, the rules apply to me and the name-calling on my part was lame. No offense. I'll admit to that. I'll also admit that I would say everything that I wrote to his face...and probably a whole lot more.

The fact is that I'm a civil guy and Guy B knows this. I just got a little pissy because I took the time to try to present the reasoning behind the AMA's decision (as it was told to me firsthand by the man who made it) and someone (with a screen name that implies he is a journalist) took exception to it. Now it turns out he works in another industry and can't shake his old screen name when he's on Vital taking potshots from behind it.
TerryK
2/27/2012 8:37pm Edited Date/Time 2/27/2012 8:39pm
I don't have to read every single post in this thread to see that the stupid factor in here is off the scale.

Pull your head's out of your asses kids.

Thanks for clearing that up Bauer.
Trent179
2/27/2012 8:38pm
CherryGirl wrote:
And this is a positive POST??????????????
Sarcasm
Deetsmx
2/27/2012 9:01pm
I hope I never cross paths with RV at an intersection.

The Shop

wawazat
2/27/2012 9:06pm
GuyB wrote:
Ing wrote:
Bauer wrote:
No, the rules apply to me and the name-calling on my part was lame. No offense. I'll admit to that. I'll also admit that I would...
No, the rules apply to me and the name-calling on my part was lame. No offense. I'll admit to that. I'll also admit that I would say everything that I wrote to his face...and probably a whole lot more.

The fact is that I'm a civil guy and Guy B knows this. I just got a little pissy because I took the time to try to present the reasoning behind the AMA's decision (as it was told to me firsthand by the man who made it) and someone (with a screen name that implies he is a journalist) took exception to it. Now it turns out he works in another industry and can't shake his old screen name when he's on Vital taking potshots from behind it.
Nice of you to chime back in. From what you have reported if the yellow lights are on in the corner, then there is a good chance the red lights at the triple would be on. No need for anything else in my opinion. Game over, poto got away with one. Universe will see that it all works out.
cmess77
2/27/2012 9:09pm
Deetsmx wrote:
I hope I never cross paths with RV at an intersection.
Officer Stewart has your back. He's always pulling over guys that run red's or go too fast for him.
tbonefuller
2/27/2012 9:13pm
Bauer wrote:
I spoke at length with John Gallagher yesterday about the decision. Here is what he said, and it makes perfect sense. John was not in position...
I spoke at length with John Gallagher yesterday about the decision. Here is what he said, and it makes perfect sense.

John was not in position to see RV, the lights, etc when it happened, but he immediately got a call on his radio from an AMA official who had a perfect view from the scoring tower, saying that "second place was committed" and there was no infraction. After the race, Jeremy Albrecht came to John while he was down by the podium and asked him to review the tape. They went up to the TV booth, where they waited a few minutes for Ralph, RC and Emig to wrap up, after which they reviewed the tape. One of the cameras had a perfect angle and view of the entire incident. Here's the deal:

First, the flashing yellow lights in the corner are programmed to come on when the red light at the top of the jump does. As we all know, the yellow lights require the rider to do nothing, other than proceed with caution. You can pass under a yellow flag. The yellow lights were what RV saw as he entered the turn and went over that little roller going into the turn. Obviously, to clear that jump the riders have to be committed going into the turn and totally on it as they exit, which is exactly what RV did. I made the point to John that technically none of the riders behind RV could have been penalized had they all jumped the triple, because they all could have made the same argument. Thankfully, no one did, because obviously they had more time than RV did to see what was going on and the red lights at the top of the jump etc.

John agreed, and everyone is grateful that there was no pile-up and they are rectifying the situation so it will not happen again. The obvious way to do that is to change the yellow lights in the turn to red, so that the riders will know sooner and have time to slow and roll the jumps. John already talked to Mike LaRocco, Sr, who does the wiring and they will have the change in place this weekend for any similar obstacles.

Another thing to consider is that the riders see flashing yellow lights a lot during a race, especially since the installation of the additional yellow lights that are placed between lanes. They used to have flaggers standing between lanes, but it was too dangerous for them, so those guys have been replaced with yellow lights. So the riders are pretty much numb to the flashing yellow lights, since they see them whenever someone falls in a turn after one of those straights.

So there's no conspiracy, it had nothing to do with who the rider was, or who his sponsor is. The AMA official that made the real-time call didn't even notice who the rider was, referring to him as "second place". Everyone involved understands and is in agreement. The officials were made aware of something that needs to be changed and are doing so. The best part is that no one got hurt in the process. That's how things evolve and are made better, especially safety-related items.
that make total sense but you would have to wonder what would have happened if others would have jumped
2/27/2012 9:19pm
GuyB wrote:
Ing wrote:
Bauer wrote:
No, the rules apply to me and the name-calling on my part was lame. No offense. I'll admit to that. I'll also admit that I would...

I'm still a journalist- for 14 years or so. I don't chase this circus anymore.
No potshot intended toward you. But I haven't hidden behind a screen name since 2005. You want to make it about my career or whatever. And there are plenty of industry "insiders" busting Gallagher's balls on the explanation anyway.
Sorry to dare to post again.
ocscottie
2/27/2012 10:13pm
CherryGirl wrote:
And this is a positive POST??????????????
HAR!!! "easton" Laughing
dkg
2/28/2012 11:38am
Sorry in advance for this lengthy post. However, I decided to work this out on my own and after doing so, I think the AMA got it right. The lighting systems, etc. in place led to confusing information to the Rider and frankly I think the change being made will correct the situation. The light in the corner should have displayed Red, not Yellow. If the lights showed red a different conclusion was probably likely. So, for those interested or not, here is how I reached my conclusion. All times are relative and I used a normal perception to reaction time of .75 seconds. (I am a few hundreths of a second off in the captures, but that is what I had to work with)

Earliest point I can conclusively determine that the yellow flag was being presented. Time 0:00:00

Earliest point that lights began flashing. Time 0:01:03

Earliest Frame capute for reaction time to lights. Time 0:01:88

Most likely earliest time Rider could have observed red light on jump. Time 0:02:08

Location of Rider at earliest reaction point. Time 0:02:88

Jump take off. Time 0:03:06
mrquick
2/28/2012 8:36pm
I just paid a huge f'ing fine because I was trying to beat a redlight at a major intersection in town.Hell I saw the yellow
light was on but...I thought I could make it. Camera took the pic and I paid the fine....Guess I should have told them that by looking at the photo they could clearly see...I was commited. therefore I should get a refund. right?
SteveS
2/28/2012 9:02pm Edited Date/Time 2/28/2012 9:04pm
mrquick wrote:
I just paid a huge f'ing fine because I was trying to beat a redlight at a major intersection in town.Hell I saw the yellow light...
I just paid a huge f'ing fine because I was trying to beat a redlight at a major intersection in town.Hell I saw the yellow
light was on but...I thought I could make it. Camera took the pic and I paid the fine....Guess I should have told them that by looking at the photo they could clearly see...I was commited. therefore I should get a refund. right?
On a traffic light the "commitment" time is the period when the light is yellow. You are supposed to stop if the light turns from green, the only color which means go, but they allow you to pass through if turns yellow when you are right upon it and so close that stopping would upset things more than going.
mxmoron
2/28/2012 9:05pm
red and yellow......
2/28/2012 9:08pm
there is a very simple solution....only let the top 10 guys race the main and you won't have the guy in 18th place crashing on a big triple with a short run Cool

What do I win?WhistlingWhistling
JJO741
Fantasy
3012th
2/28/2012 9:26pm
Hi everyone, how y'all doing?
Toosano
2/29/2012 6:26am
Bauer wrote:
Hey assfuck, no offense- how about I call it, "the AMA official's words", since I obviously paraphrased what Gallagher told me? Would that be better for...
Hey assfuck, no offense- how about I call it, "the AMA official's words", since I obviously paraphrased what Gallagher told me? Would that be better for your sorry ass? Haha...wow

You are a fucking douchbag, no offense. You call yourself "Moto East Mag", whatever the fuck that is, so why didn't YOU, or one of your Moto East Rag journalists take the time to find out the AMA's take on the incident? Then I wouldn't have had to spend my time writing what he told me, because your top-notch journalism would have already had it covered.
GuyB wrote:
And that's Bauer's official word on it. Wink
wawazat wrote:
[b]We do expect you to maintain at least a reasonable level of civility. Treat others the way you want to be treated. Don’t post things that...
We do expect you to maintain at least a reasonable level of civility. Treat others the way you want to be treated. Don’t post things that you wouldn’t say when face-to-face with another person. So name calling, insults, and personal attacks are lame. So is keyboard bravery

So expecting an "Official Word" any minute about the name calling.

Nobody can disagree around here anymore without the name calling?
GuyB, he'd say it to his face too so not sure what the problem is according to your post.
Toosano
2/29/2012 6:39am
Bauer brings it. Always with facts and is not afraid to let somebody have it when they deserve it.
There sure are a lot of thin skinned pussies on this thread. You say you race MX?
2/29/2012 6:53am Edited Date/Time 2/29/2012 6:54am
Can you imagine the carnage if RV gets a block pass thrown on him. He will have no time to react and probably hurt himself and whoever is dumb enough to try a block pass on him.
Outsider
2/29/2012 6:56am Edited Date/Time 2/29/2012 6:57am
Wow, still going huh?

Just listened to the podium speak interviews on the home page... James says he got the "red cross flag" which would be the correct flag for rolling the jump. RV got a yellow = wrong flag. That has been my problem with this deal from the start, confusing signals, imo.
Tim507
2/29/2012 7:28am
Outsider wrote:
Wow, still going huh? Just listened to the podium speak interviews on the home page... James says he got the "red cross flag" which would be...
Wow, still going huh?

Just listened to the podium speak interviews on the home page... James says he got the "red cross flag" which would be the correct flag for rolling the jump. RV got a yellow = wrong flag. That has been my problem with this deal from the start, confusing signals, imo.
Simple and succinctSmile
larryloopout
2/29/2012 7:42am
Can you imagine the carnage if RV gets a block pass thrown on him. He will have no time to react and probably hurt himself and...
Can you imagine the carnage if RV gets a block pass thrown on him. He will have no time to react and probably hurt himself and whoever is dumb enough to try a block pass on him.
[/img]
JBlain619
2/29/2012 7:43am
Outsider wrote:
Wow, still going huh? Just listened to the podium speak interviews on the home page... James says he got the "red cross flag" which would be...
Wow, still going huh?

Completely agree. It blows my mind that Bauer came on here after speaking directly with the man in charge, and gave a run down on what transpired with the AMA/FIM and people are so blinded by fanboy love that the answer wasn't good enough for them. Shit happens in life every day that is more tragic then RV jumping and James rolling. How does anyone know that he would've caught RV??? How do you that IF he did, JS would've passed hi,??? History has shown that the more likely scenario is JS would've crashed, thus causing him to lose more than the 2 points he lost for rolling.
coolhand
2/29/2012 8:22am
There is more tangs here than a PI Whorehouse
motomike137
2/29/2012 5:11pm
I hate to keep fueling this fire but the penalty for almost finishing off a downed rider after jumping a triple with the red lights on is 5 seconds? Brilliant!

Post a reply to: The official word on the Villopoto red light call

The Latest