The next chapter in moto progression?

11/21/2019 6:49pm
"going to kill the sport." I read this a lot. And its wrong. It won't kill the sport, the sport will develop. Guess what- your/my generation...
"going to kill the sport."

I read this a lot. And its wrong. It won't kill the sport, the sport will develop.

Guess what- your/my generation aren't going to be around forever.
Guess what- there are kids coming through who have & never will know what is like to ride a 125/250 two stroke (I only just know what it was like to ride a 500..)
Remember some people said "four strokes will be the end of the sport"?? It hasn't been yet has it?!
Guess what- theres some four year old somewhere who is going to get a KTM 50-E for christmas, enjoy it for a few years, then move on to a KTM 65-E, then 85-E,and so on and so forth...
Guess what- this rider will never know or want an ICE bike.
Guess what brother- our generation will have passed, electric bikes will be 'normal', the sport will still be alive!

"going to kill the sport."?? Nah..
I cannot wrap my head around filling a stadium/arena and watching a bunch of silent bikes ride around a track. I am not against progress, but...
I cannot wrap my head around filling a stadium/arena and watching a bunch of silent bikes ride around a track. I am not against progress, but the idea of only hearing chain noise, no revving engines just doesnt appeal to me, even a little. Motorsports need motors! I want to protect our enviroment, I just don't see quiet bikes being appealing in racing.
Zacka 161 wrote:
millions and millions of people worldwide fill stadiums Every. Single. Week. To watch some men silently kick a football around.... Its seems sound is not a...
millions and millions of people worldwide fill stadiums Every. Single. Week. To watch some men silently kick a football around....

Its seems sound is not a hindrance.

Maybe if we want to be as big as mainstream sport then this is the best next step?
Not quite an apples to apples comparison, but I get your point. There plenty of sports that don`t involve motors, but they never did. I still don`t see it being nearly as appealing. I can see it adapting to certain types of motorsports like trials or freestyle, but not SX and MX. How many of the riders, during intros rev their engines? How many racers rev their engines to screw with competitors? I miss the showmanship of the 80`s and 90`s, now were looking at losing the sound and attitude of motors? I don`t think E bikes will do anything as far as bringing it more mainstream. You are removing a auditory component, how will that make it more appealing to the masses?
Johnny Depp
11/21/2019 7:11pm Edited Date/Time 11/21/2019 7:15pm
I cannot wrap my head around filling a stadium/arena and watching a bunch of silent bikes ride around a track. I am not against progress, but...
I cannot wrap my head around filling a stadium/arena and watching a bunch of silent bikes ride around a track. I am not against progress, but the idea of only hearing chain noise, no revving engines just doesnt appeal to me, even a little. Motorsports need motors! I want to protect our enviroment, I just don't see quiet bikes being appealing in racing.
Zacka 161 wrote:
millions and millions of people worldwide fill stadiums Every. Single. Week. To watch some men silently kick a football around.... Its seems sound is not a...
millions and millions of people worldwide fill stadiums Every. Single. Week. To watch some men silently kick a football around....

Maybe if we want to be as big as mainstream sport then this is the best next step?
Not quite an apples to apples comparison, but I get your point. There plenty of sports that don`t involve motors, but they never did. I still...
Not quite an apples to apples comparison, but I get your point. There plenty of sports that don`t involve motors, but they never did. I still don`t see it being nearly as appealing. I can see it adapting to certain types of motorsports like trials or freestyle, but not SX and MX. How many of the riders, during intros rev their engines? How many racers rev their engines to screw with competitors? I miss the showmanship of the 80`s and 90`s, now were looking at losing the sound and attitude of motors? I don`t think E bikes will do anything as far as bringing it more mainstream. You are removing a auditory component, how will that make it more appealing to the masses?
You mean the people that don't like loud motorcycles? Yep there's plenty of them.

I remember when Hydroplane racing went jet turbine engines and got much quieter. There was still a few dinosaurs running around with V12 WWII aircraft engines, but they were totally outclassed in a few years.
11/21/2019 7:37pm
Zacka 161 wrote:

Not quite an apples to apples comparison, but I get your point. There plenty of sports that don`t involve motors, but they never did. I still...
You mean the people that don't like loud motorcycles? Yep there's plenty of them. I remember when Hydroplane racing went jet turbine engines and got much...
You mean the people that don't like loud motorcycles? Yep there's plenty of them.

I remember when Hydroplane racing went jet turbine engines and got much quieter. There was still a few dinosaurs running around with V12 WWII aircraft engines, but they were totally outclassed in a few years.
But jet engines sound badass!
Bearuno
11/21/2019 7:50pm Edited Date/Time 11/21/2019 8:25pm
Zacka 161 wrote:

If you, and others need noise, it's not going to be hard for 'noise' to be generated by Competition E bikes.

And I'm not talking about cretinous crap like them blasting out recordings / facsimiles of ICE engine sounds. That, would be utterly, utterly pathetic.

Now, I'm no great 'fan' of the various whines and whirs of E motors ( and their drive chains), but I've heard some that are pretty impressive in their 'sounding'. Bunch of them together, will give the Audiophiles, their fix.

And, with so many - not just 'Kid's - endlessly playing with computer games / watching Sci Fi films and TV series with anything but an ICE engine sound within bloody cooee of the soundtrack, we that have had ICE bikes all our lives, will rapidly become the minority in the spectator department.

I myself dislike Stupidly loud bikes, of any type. I DO love a nice sounding ICE engine, at a reasonable level of decibels. And, I completely detest the piss poor, shithouse sound of an effing 4t being bounced off the rev limiter in 'celebration'( or, introduction). It just sounds so, So bloody crap. F**k me, riders that have just (or are about to) shown so much skill and daring during the race, how about they just use a tiny bit of their Prodigious skills to keep the effing thing off that bloody blarping, spitting and burping rev limiter.

The Shop

Zacka 161
Fantasy
2067th
11/21/2019 8:20pm
sorry for bringing numbers to a conversation about your feelings.
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
11/21/2019 11:32pm
Goofy Foot wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/11/21/386317/s1200_A1479353_FBD0_4436_A0B5_8744945A9A2B.jpg[/img]

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing It looks like a soap box derby car, is it made of plywood ?
11/22/2019 12:26am
Zacka 161 wrote:

Because the people who appreciate the noise and effect of an ICE bike will be dead.

We won’t be around to miss and reminisce.

New riders
New fans
New bikes
11/22/2019 4:22am
Zacka 161 wrote:
sorry for bringing numbers to a conversation about your feelings.
No problem, being a snowflake I’m easily confused. I’m not scared anymore, Alta went tits up because nobody would buy them. Feel sorry for people with them when they need help down the road. Tesla could be next. Thank goodness, Electric bikes would be as annoying as people that put 22” rims on a pickup.
cappelmans
11/22/2019 4:29am Edited Date/Time 11/22/2019 4:30am
Self charging batteries that are charged by heart rate of the rider.
Dougy1
11/22/2019 4:33am
Somewhere close to home to ride the fucken things !!!!!
11/22/2019 4:43am
Goofy Foot wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/11/21/386317/s1200_A1479353_FBD0_4436_A0B5_8744945A9A2B.jpg[/img]

sumdood wrote:
LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing It looks like a soap box derby car, is it made of plywood ?
There's an electric ATV that accompanies it and charges in the bed from the truck battery. I don't care who buys this truck but if Tesla makes a dirt bike to accompany it people will buy it based on brand alone and that would only be a positive for the moto industry.
sandtrack315
11/22/2019 4:43am
The carbon footprint of motocross is negligible. Fly from NYC to SF and that’s a lifetime of moto. The cool thing about electric dirt bikes is we would likely have more places to ride them and wouldn’t have to change air filters and oil. As others have said, the HP could easily be capped as well. Sooner or later costs will come down and dirt bikes might finally be cheapish and there might be more places to ride them. The largest carbon footprint of motocross—driving to the track—would be decreased. This is all good.
Last Braaap
Fantasy
4382nd
11/22/2019 4:53am
cappelmans wrote:
Self charging batteries that are charged by heart rate of the rider.
why stop there?! Can't they harvest energy from rider's fear of getting hurt and therefore losing money in next few months in his/her workplace?
11/22/2019 4:53am
Well I guess the reality here is that nobody knows the future if the sport, if it’s electric we will adapt. I don’t think it will be, but i know I would LOVE to see a team field an Alta in Supercross. I know right now they could not make the entire night with one battery. Do I think RocZen could win on one? Yes. Why not. I know the bike is FAST and I’m sure they could find a sweet setup, that’s what these teams do.

Just comes down to cost, convenience and reliability. Kinda like WackoZacho says he likes MacBooks because they WORK (ironically the best thing about Mac is the battery life) so i can’t argue that. Maybe Zack would like to purchase the new gasoline powered MacBook that runs off a generator and lasts 2 weeks on pint on gasoline, sorry about the noise but it never goes dead and it costs almost nothing. Sound good? Surely we wouldn’t mind that change. Or wait, is this more about people ridiculously thinking they are saving the planet? If that’s the case, Bernie Sanders just said we now only have 8 years left, the the 2 went by in 3 debates. Crazy.
Johnny Depp
11/22/2019 7:06am
https://sputniknews.com/us/201803161062584585-navy-seals-green-beret-st…

"hybrid vehicles capable of running on lithium-ion batteries as well as an assortment of different power supplies, including JP-8 jet fuel, propane and olive oil. Yes, olive oil."

Propane eliminates the emissions problem, is readily available and cheap. They could keep IC engines in the mix indefinitely, regardless of emissions rules. Hybrids provide the range electric lacks. They would easily fit into a frame for protection and might weigh less than current gas and tanks. A 4 pack for $12 at WalMart.

11/22/2019 7:52am
I think this truck is going to grow on a lot of people if it ever hits the market...put some aftermarket goodies on this thing and it will look badass.

Bearuno
11/22/2019 8:16am Edited Date/Time 11/22/2019 8:18am
I was going to write that it needs heavier springs in the rear end - or that quad was bloody heavy, even by quad standards. But I'd suspect that it might feature a button on the dash that lowers the back end for easier loading...... whatthefugever.

Back To The Future fan's will dig this Ute. It's a bit 'DeLorean', and 'Doc Brown'.

I've got to say, the ramp in the tailgate idea is pretty shmick.
OldYZRider1
11/22/2019 9:58am
https://sputniknews.com/us/201803161062584585-navy-seals-green-beret-stealth-bike/ "hybrid vehicles capable of running on lithium-ion batteries as well as an assortment of different power supplies, including JP-8 jet fuel, propane and olive oil...
https://sputniknews.com/us/201803161062584585-navy-seals-green-beret-st…

"hybrid vehicles capable of running on lithium-ion batteries as well as an assortment of different power supplies, including JP-8 jet fuel, propane and olive oil. Yes, olive oil."

Propane eliminates the emissions problem, is readily available and cheap. They could keep IC engines in the mix indefinitely, regardless of emissions rules. Hybrids provide the range electric lacks. They would easily fit into a frame for protection and might weigh less than current gas and tanks. A 4 pack for $12 at WalMart.

I've wondered what happened to the Silenthawk program. I believe that was the contract that Alta was competing for. I think they placed a small multifuel rotary engine genset on their bike just like the bike in your link has. I was hopeful they'd get the contract and maybe be able to use a government contract to help underwrite getting their civilian sector bikes into production. I guess it wasn't to be.
Zacka 161
Fantasy
2067th
11/23/2019 6:18pm
wow you shared an article that says 'the arithmatic tilts in the favour of electric cars just'

So now even at the early early stages of electric cars they have gone from highly expensive cars for the elite to fuel good, to cars that work out cheaper for everyday use... thats call progress aka. improvement over time.

Alta was the only electric motorbike making a competitive performance motocross bike. Like the Tesla Model S it sold at a premium, unlike Tesla they weren't able to stay solvent through the loss period to move into profitability at scale.

But I guess im just WackoZacko, who is typing this on an Oled screen while you carry a CRT around in your backpocket screaming at anyone that asks 'the refresh is faster and it has a pretty high contrast so its technically better'
EngIceDave
3/3/2021 8:35am Edited Date/Time 3/3/2021 8:36am
We've all witnessed the significant improvements with suspension, power, and weight reduction in bikes over the last several decades that have resulted in increased speed. Riding...

We've all witnessed the significant improvements with suspension, power, and weight reduction in bikes over the last several decades that have resulted in increased speed. Riding style has also changed a bit in the last couple decades with the progression of scrubs, seat bounces, whips, whoops, etc. But as of late it It seems like we have hit a plateau and there is not much these guys can do to go faster...

As far as bike progression goes, it's obvious electronics and electric bikes will take over. For example, "smart suspensions" with electronics, and electric bikes with "smart torque", "traction control", and electronic transmissions. Computers and electronics are a given whether we want them or not, but what is the next big thing that will change riding forever? Could we see "smart front wheel drive" (2wd) electric bikes in the future for extra traction?

As far as riding, what else can these guys possibly do? Will there be some sort of new technique surface like the scrub that no one has seen yet?

I like where moto is at right now and I like to think we have hit the ceiling of what is possible but things will change with technology. Who's got the crystal ball?
Without reading everything, this answer shouldn't surprise anyone coming from me.

Some form of liquid or chemically cooled suspension. People have no idea that their shocks get hotter than their engine, much much more. Forks as well.

They has been fooled with for decades with Yamaha's "speedos" on the YZ forks and more, but it really never was perfected. Ask any pro or cross country guy and they can tell you exactly when shock fade kicked in.

Has to be a way to cool the suspension, reducing fade which means you'll be able to better dial in the shock because now you won't have to try to find a median setting for early and in-fade.

It'll change the way we (they) ride, being even more precise.

Post a reply to: The next chapter in moto progression?

The Latest