The newly invented sport of "pure motocross" (Racer X)

Related:
Create New Tag

12/6/2018 1:50 AM

I was happy to see Racer X's recognition of Herlings as rider of the year, almost immediately followed by chuckles at alternate reality in the story.
DC highlights the difference in the two forms- Supercross and motocross, but sneaks in that Herlings "just watches" Supercross and when he tried it, it "didn't go well."
DC then introduces the concept of the heretofore-unheard of "pure motocross world." (wherever it is, I want to go there) Because now that a Euro has owned everybody on America's iconic track, it's time for a reclassification of the boundaries of the sport.
How many people in the world are actually good at the insanely specialized world of Supercross, and have the resources to actually compete on a full-blown SX track (cough- bike sales)? How does it prove you have heart when you have a gigantic, groomed track and a crew to keep every lap pristine as you prepare for months for your corporate-produced riding layout,?
The finish to the Racer X story is that Herling is the fastest man, "so long as the sun is out."
Overall, a back handed compliment to Herlings...most of us ride when the sun is out.

|

It's impossible for a corporation or government to love you or care about you.

12/6/2018 2:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/6/2018 2:02 AM

I don't see a problem with the wording in the article. Herlings has had the resources and ability for long time to be a Supercross champ. He just didn't want to for one reason or another. MM and Roczen were in his same boat while they were growing up and they've done pretty damn good at Supercross. He's arguably the fastest outdoor rider imo, but the article is true. When sun goes down and the stadium lights turn on he's got nothing. Pretty true in my eyes.

|

12/6/2018 2:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/6/2018 2:07 AM

He doesnt race sx... so yes when the suns out hes the fastest, when it goes down hes not. Thats not even up for interpretation its just how it is.

|

12/6/2018 2:25 AM

NorCalRedRyder wrote:

I don't see a problem with the wording in the article. Herlings has had the resources and ability for long time to be a Supercross champ. He just didn't want to for one reason or another. MM and Roczen were in his same boat while they were growing up and they've done pretty damn good at Supercross. He's arguably the fastest outdoor rider imo, but the article is true. When sun goes down and the stadium lights turn on he's got nothing. Pretty true in my eyes.

Perhaps Herlings us pretty smart and sees that sx is a 1 way trip to the hospital?It is terrible what has happened to Ken Rocksen as a result of trying to be the sx champ..he was a motocross ....whats the word? Anyway his potential was unbelievable , until the sx injuries..
Back in the day I loved sx...now I dont...

|

2017 YZ450F
2006 YZ125
2013 YZ 250F special edition
2017 YZ 250

12/6/2018 2:27 AM

PJRAUS wrote:

Perhaps Herlings us pretty smart and sees that sx is a 1 way trip to the hospital?It is terrible what has happened to Ken Rocksen as a result of trying to be the sx champ..he was a motocross ....whats the word? Anyway his potential was unbelievable , until the sx injuries..
Back in the day I loved sx...now I dont...

Are you on the fucken schnapps again?!

|

12/6/2018 2:28 AM

NorCalRedRyder wrote:

I don't see a problem with the wording in the article. Herlings has had the resources and ability for long time to be a Supercross champ. He just didn't want to for one reason or another. MM and Roczen were in his same boat while they were growing up and they've done pretty damn good at Supercross. He's arguably the fastest outdoor rider imo, but the article is true. When sun goes down and the stadium lights turn on he's got nothing. Pretty true in my eyes.

PJRAUS wrote:

Perhaps Herlings us pretty smart and sees that sx is a 1 way trip to the hospital?It is terrible what has happened to Ken Rocksen as a result of trying to be the sx champ..he was a motocross ....whats the word? Anyway his potential was unbelievable , until the sx injuries..
Back in the day I loved sx...now I dont...

Fair enough, but it doesn't make anything I said untrue.

|

12/6/2018 2:42 AM

NorCalRedRyder wrote:

I don't see a problem with the wording in the article. Herlings has had the resources and ability for long time to be a Supercross champ. He just didn't want to for one reason or another. MM and Roczen were in his same boat while they were growing up and they've done pretty damn good at Supercross. He's arguably the fastest outdoor rider imo, but the article is true. When sun goes down and the stadium lights turn on he's got nothing. Pretty true in my eyes.

PJRAUS wrote:

Perhaps Herlings us pretty smart and sees that sx is a 1 way trip to the hospital?It is terrible what has happened to Ken Rocksen as a result of trying to be the sx champ..he was a motocross ....whats the word? Anyway his potential was unbelievable , until the sx injuries..
Back in the day I loved sx...now I dont...

EZZA 95B wrote:

Are you on the fucken schnapps again?!

No, but once again my typing finger has been on the little creatures pale ale!

|

2017 YZ450F
2006 YZ125
2013 YZ 250F special edition
2017 YZ 250

12/6/2018 2:57 AM

PJRAUS wrote:

No, but once again my typing finger has been on the little creatures pale ale!

|

12/6/2018 3:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/6/2018 3:23 AM

"He tried supercross once, some years ago, for about a month. It did not go well."

According to DV, Herlings was not far off Musquin(i think he compared him to Musquin, it could've been some other rider.) on the SX track. I think that is pretty good even though he wasn't the best in the whoops.

|

12/6/2018 3:12 AM

The fact that people think that an extraordinary talent, no matter who it is, can’t have a crack at SX without training is hilarious.

|

12/6/2018 3:28 AM

I'll grab a seat and some popcorn for this one.

|

12/6/2018 5:16 AM

EnvyMedia wrote:

The fact that people think that an extraordinary talent, no matter who it is, can’t have a crack at SX without training is hilarious.

Yes and no.
There are top riders in MXGP that I believe could never be good SX riders even if they won the MXGP title. An example is Max Nagl. Phenomenal outdoor rider but I can't even imagine seeing him do an SX race.

Herlings is a different story. Him and a bunch of other MXGP guys could easily do well in SX. See Ferrandis.
Tonus was also pretty fast in SX, although he crashed out most of the times and then got sick

|

12/6/2018 5:23 AM

NorCalRedRyder wrote:

I don't see a problem with the wording in the article. Herlings has had the resources and ability for long time to be a Supercross champ. He just didn't want to for one reason or another. MM and Roczen were in his same boat while they were growing up and they've done pretty damn good at Supercross. He's arguably the fastest outdoor rider imo, but the article is true. When sun goes down and the stadium lights turn on he's got nothing. Pretty true in my eyes.

When the sun goes down and the stadium lights turn on he’s got nothing for a trapeze artist either. What’s your point?

|

12/6/2018 5:30 AM

drt410 wrote:

He doesnt race sx... so yes when the suns out hes the fastest, when it goes down hes not. Thats not even up for interpretation its just how it is.

I agree 100%

|

2013 CRF450R Factory Connection revalve, All stock.

12/6/2018 5:36 AM

agn5009 wrote:

When the sun goes down and the stadium lights turn on he’s got nothing for a trapeze artist either. What’s your point?

Ummmm...I think it's pretty self explanatory? I could be wrong though. Go Steelers!!

|

12/6/2018 5:44 AM

The farther away we get from outdoor MX in the USA, the faster this sport will die...how many of us load our bike up to go ride supercross? SuperCross is a spinoff of the real thing...I enjoy watching SX but no where near as much as the 80"s&90"s era of 125"s & 250"s 2t"s....something got lost along the way...I totally agree on Herlings selection for ROY award....

|

12/6/2018 5:51 AM

Just be glad Herlings does not seem interested in SX because if he was it wouldn't be long before there was no doubt who the best rider would be. Give him some track time and he would be winning at SX too.

|

Ed Johnson

12/6/2018 5:55 AM

Call me crazy, but I don't see SX and MX as different sports. Supercross isn't the circus (the trapeze comparison is silly), and it isn't "death cross" - last time I checked, a lot of dudes get wrecked outdoors, too. What it is, is a lot of the same dudes, on the same bikes, on the same teams, with the same goal (be faster than the other guys), just on a tighter, more technical track. DC recognizing Herlings as rider of the year (well deserved, IMO), but also pointing out that he doesn't race SX, is perfectly relevant and appropriate. You can read between the lines all you want, but DC didn't say anything that isn't true.

|

12/6/2018 6:24 AM

To me it was a huge sign of the times, and it should be a huge wake-up to dudes like web and hill who have no problem riding around in 8th anytime they don't feel like riding hard.... And even dudes like tomac and Anderson, both of whom are supposed to be our best, but look like B riders against the Euros outdoors...

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord

12/6/2018 6:41 AM

DC definitely polished that article. Some true comments in this tread, mx is the root for 99% of us riders, sx is definitely more dangerous and not fathomable for us mortals. Herlings is one bad dude though.

|

12/6/2018 6:56 AM

supercross sux.

|

12/6/2018 7:02 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/6/2018 7:16 AM

gt80rider wrote:

To me it was a huge sign of the times, and it should be a huge wake-up to dudes like web and hill who have no problem riding around in 8th anytime they don't feel like riding hard.... And even dudes like tomac and Anderson, both of whom are supposed to be our best, but look like B riders against the Euros outdoors...

Not sure why you included Anderson here. He came in first in his last major race against the Euros outdoors.

|

12/6/2018 7:10 AM

Herlings is like the world's best Rugby Player. It's cool and tough but a relic of the past. The money and talent is in Supercross. If Herlings could race Supercross competitively he would, because that is where the money is. Kenny is back in black and Herlings is second best with the sun out in 2019 anyway.

|

12/6/2018 7:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/6/2018 7:16 AM

NorCal 50+ wrote:

I was happy to see Racer X's recognition of Herlings as rider of the year, almost immediately followed by chuckles at alternate reality in the story.
DC highlights the difference in the two forms- Supercross and motocross, but sneaks in that Herlings "just watches" Supercross and when he tried it, it "didn't go well."
DC then introduces the concept of the heretofore-unheard of "pure motocross world." (wherever it is, I want to go there) Because now that a Euro has owned everybody on America's iconic track, it's time for a reclassification of the boundaries of the sport.
How many people in the world are actually good at the insanely specialized world of Supercross, and have the resources to actually compete on a full-blown SX track (cough- bike sales)? How does it prove you have heart when you have a gigantic, groomed track and a crew to keep every lap pristine as you prepare for months for your corporate-produced riding layout,?
The finish to the Racer X story is that Herling is the fastest man, "so long as the sun is out."
Overall, a back handed compliment to Herlings...most of us ride when the sun is out.

Fair assessment in my opinion.

I think that no matter how legitimate or accurate the analysis, it is too easy to construe as "excuse making" (even if it's not). And the more of this content that you put out there, the more compromised the message feels. It makes me cringe when I hear/read a media expert attempt to qualify or put into a specific context America's recent performances against GP riders. Not necessarily because I disagree, but because to me, sounding off about it just isn't a good look.

And what the hell are you doing posting threads at 3am anyway NorCal 50+ ???


|

12/6/2018 7:21 AM

EnvyMedia wrote:

The fact that people think that an extraordinary talent, no matter who it is, can’t have a crack at SX without training is hilarious.

This.


"He tried supercross once, some years ago, for about a month. It did not go well."
At that time he was 16 years old and was as fast as the USA KTM test riders at that time. Nowadays most of the 16 year old kids still ride a supermini Him and Roczen are really extraordinary talented riders who both shocked the GP world when they arrived. Roczen was a contender right away when he started SX, and I'm 100% sure Herlings would have been the same. I've seen Herlings riding on a 85cc riding local supercrosses and even then you saw his raw talent, technique and dedication. They (Roczen and Herlings) are just mad talented and really really hard working guys. You will probably see the same with the Lawrence brothers next year and in 2020.

It's just funny to see how people are still bashing on Herlings to not ride SX, while he has proven to not take away any challenges (i.e. him going to the final National at Ironman in 2017. just think how upset the world would have been when he entered on a track like Southwick or Millville)

Not to take away anything from the American riders, because the USA has had top riders since the '70's. MXGP raised the bar big time and you can see that during the MXON. And yes, supercross is probably the blame for this. When you see guys like Brayton making 400k + on off season races alone, I would take that risk-reward into consideration as well to just focus on SX.

|

12/6/2018 7:26 AM

NorCal 50+ wrote:

I was happy to see Racer X's recognition of Herlings as rider of the year, almost immediately followed by chuckles at alternate reality in the story.
DC highlights the difference in the two forms- Supercross and motocross, but sneaks in that Herlings "just watches" Supercross and when he tried it, it "didn't go well."
DC then introduces the concept of the heretofore-unheard of "pure motocross world." (wherever it is, I want to go there) Because now that a Euro has owned everybody on America's iconic track, it's time for a reclassification of the boundaries of the sport.
How many people in the world are actually good at the insanely specialized world of Supercross, and have the resources to actually compete on a full-blown SX track (cough- bike sales)? How does it prove you have heart when you have a gigantic, groomed track and a crew to keep every lap pristine as you prepare for months for your corporate-produced riding layout,?
The finish to the Racer X story is that Herling is the fastest man, "so long as the sun is out."
Overall, a back handed compliment to Herlings...most of us ride when the sun is out.

mx_563 wrote:

Fair assessment in my opinion.

I think that no matter how legitimate or accurate the analysis, it is too easy to construe as "excuse making" (even if it's not). And the more of this content that you put out there, the more compromised the message feels. It makes me cringe when I hear/read a media expert attempt to qualify or put into a specific context America's recent performances against GP riders. Not necessarily because I disagree, but because to me, sounding off about it just isn't a good look.

And what the hell are you doing posting threads at 3am anyway NorCal 50+ ???


What does his posting time have to do with anything.? You ever think maybe people work shift work?

|

12/6/2018 7:41 AM

mxb2 wrote:

What does his posting time have to do with anything.? You ever think maybe people work shift work?

Relax, I'm joking.

|

12/6/2018 8:05 AM

mx_563 wrote:

Fair assessment in my opinion.

I think that no matter how legitimate or accurate the analysis, it is too easy to construe as "excuse making" (even if it's not). And the more of this content that you put out there, the more compromised the message feels. It makes me cringe when I hear/read a media expert attempt to qualify or put into a specific context America's recent performances against GP riders. Not necessarily because I disagree, but because to me, sounding off about it just isn't a good look.

And what the hell are you doing posting threads at 3am anyway NorCal 50+ ???


mxb2 wrote:

What does his posting time have to do with anything.? You ever think maybe people work shift work?

mx_563 wrote:

Relax, I'm joking.

Ok.

|

12/6/2018 8:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/6/2018 8:07 AM

lostboy819 wrote:

Just be glad Herlings does not seem interested in SX because if he was it wouldn't be long before there was no doubt who the best rider would be. Give him some track time and he would be winning at SX too.

I think it's more likely it wouldn't be long before he was injured.

|

12/6/2018 8:33 AM

Give him a year and he would dominate sx aswell. I cant even understand the people saying that he could not be good at sx. roczen,musquin and ferrandis are doing fine. Why wouldnt herlings that is much faster than them? lol

|