The moto-rider to moto-parent transition

12/17/2015 11:06am Edited Date/Time 12/18/2015 4:44am
So I took my 16 year old brother to the track last Sunday. I'm 29, considering I have a bummed collarbone that is still on the mend I wasn't riding.

So the whole way to the track my brother starts saying things like, "I think I need to work on corners."

No big deal, but as a background he never was really interested in racing or riding or becoming a better rider. He just is the guy that goes to the track hangs out and has a good time. Could care less if he finishes firstor last.

Long story short we get to the track and he's riding well, asking me questions on technique. And he's listening. And his riding is getting better ten fold as the day progresses. I went over body position, being in attack mode, gripping the bike with your legs. Smooth throttle control. Basic fundamentals pretty much. Snagged one pic of him on the face of a table top and was impressed with how well he listened and applied technique.

After I got home I said to my fiancé I can't wait to have a kid that would want to ride. I had more fun working with my brother and watching him get better than I have had actually going riding by myself.

When did you make the transition? I know that I haven't went full bore moto parent, but before last weekend I really didn't even consider kids to be a short term goal in the next few years. 2 years ago I wouldn't think id be posting something like this.

Couple pics from Sunday:

|
12/17/2015 11:18am
Start em off in BMX first and see how that goes. Word of warning, not a lot of things are the same r.e. bike set up, and that's something you just have to learn from the good folk at the track and hooking up with a good shop who are happy to give you good tips and advice in exchange for business.
Grieby54
12/17/2015 11:20am
That's great that you got to spend some quality time with your brother and that he was enthusiastic about learning. I get excited about the prospect of having a kid that rides, but worry about it probably just as much as look forward to it haha.

I have a friend who does professional mountain bike training that has recently been bitten by the moto bug. In exchange for a fitness program, I coach him at the track. I've really enjoyed the coaching aspect, too.
RPM68
12/17/2015 11:31am
I have always admired my older brothers riding ability, when I was younger I just had to watch and do my best b/c when I asked him he did the entire "I dont know I just do it" talk. Even though I have a Dean Wilson frame and he has the RC4 frame, I still have his style. He will always be my favorite rider to watch and learn from.

Keep that shit up, I bet that was your little bros best day at the track in years.
12/17/2015 12:46pm
I don't know anything about little kids, but in the last two years I've had 4 or 5 friends my age get bikes. It's been super fun helping out these 25 year old groms with the basics. The things they get fired up over and the energy they bring has been great.

The Shop

newmann
12/17/2015 12:50pm
The day your kid passes you and you can't pass him back...BlushSmile
wwoberg
12/17/2015 12:54pm
My kid got faster than me when he was still on 85s. But, I've never been a good teacher in anything.......grip it and rip it.
Racerx930
12/17/2015 1:22pm
I'm 34, own a track, and we're 11 weeks pregnant with our first. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't something I'm thinking about. I would like to say I wonder if it's worth it, but I already know it's not lol. Of course being "worth it" hasn't kept my family away from the sport for 45+ years. I look forward to teaching my child to ride and almost hope they aren't that into the racing side of it.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
12/17/2015 1:29pm
My now 6-Y.O. son has had a PW50 for 2 years as of this Christmas. He was into it and his big sister (now 10) got a TTR110 one year ago. They are both avid riders, although the daughter is the only one who says she's interested in racing. They are both receptive to riding instruction however, and it feels really good to have them listen to me like I know what I'm talking about.
I really couldn't care less if they race; it will be nice when they are fast enough to ride around in the desert with me, though.
NITRODOG
Fantasy
1476th
12/17/2015 1:30pm
Check out MotoXKidz on facebook....
Denny979
12/17/2015 1:33pm
Having a kid that rides is all fun and cute when they are on a PW or XR 50 and gets progressively scarier and more expensive from there. What worked with my son and I is I kept riding so it never became a moto dad thing and more of a riding friend thing. We started when he was 5 and he is now 20 and it's still the same except he is much faster than me.
The highlights are probably the same with any moto father
1-Look on the kids face when they get their first motorcycle
2-First ride with out the training wheels (crashed after 50 feet).
3-First race (scared to go out for practice).
4-Upgrade to 65 first ride with clutch (give a push aimed down a slight hill and hope for the best).
5-Not wanting to watch as they learn how to jump (sister in law said to take my cell phone dial 91 and wait for it).
6- Upgrade to 85
7- Not wanting to watch as they learn how to do double jumps
8- First family trip to the ER
9- Upgrade to 250f
10- First time being roosted by your son (will never forget that it's awesome)
11-They do a double first and you have to not act nervous when you go to do it
12-Family trip to the ER for dad
13-Upgrade bike with their own money (best highlight ever)

12/17/2015 1:44pm
It happened for me when I had to stop riding due to injuries.. now I just watch and comment on his technique, all the team wishing that I was still out there having fun and getting a sweaty workout on the bike.
12/17/2015 2:05pm
my 3 year old son is wanting a dirt bike........ like now..... We started him racing strider bikes at the age of 2. Now he is a well traveled racer. We took him to Pittsburgh this past summer for the Strider Championship Series ran By Strider. That was his 3rd Birthday Present. But a dirt bike is in the works. He already has all the gear and stuff. Just missing the dirt bike.
My Husband really wants him to start racing asap. It was funny because he asked me how much it would be to take him to Lorettas (might I add he has never riden a dirt bike or been to a race till he met me). He was surprised on how much racing is.
Cokeham23
12/17/2015 2:11pm
Racerx930 wrote:
I'm 34, own a track, and we're 11 weeks pregnant with our first. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't something I'm thinking about. I...
I'm 34, own a track, and we're 11 weeks pregnant with our first. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't something I'm thinking about. I would like to say I wonder if it's worth it, but I already know it's not lol. Of course being "worth it" hasn't kept my family away from the sport for 45+ years. I look forward to teaching my child to ride and almost hope they aren't that into the racing side of it.
What?!?! Congrats Jeremy!!
Graybeard
Fantasy
2478th
12/17/2015 2:19pm
Props to you for taking the time with your little brother--you just made a lifetime memory for both of you no one can ever take away! Personally, I've never been to the track when my kids raced where I wasn't racing, too! It was great when they were 10-12, but is completely, insanely awesome now that they're both +/- 30! The transition doesn't have to be from racer to spectator, it's better when you're both riding and racing!
crusher773
12/17/2015 2:37pm
Just don't quit riding then you never really make the transition you just have the best riding buddy ever.
12/17/2015 4:18pm
My 6 yo is too scared. I am kinda bummed out and kinda relieved. I can't believe the gaps that some of the little guys clear.
1stSSPZ
12/17/2015 5:04pm
newmann wrote:
I'm there!
Team Ideal
12/17/2015 6:20pm
newmann wrote:
^^^This, or the day he graduates to more than one bike and you realize it's time to take care of him and help him achieve his goals. You will recognize it when the time comes, at least I did, it's pretty obvious
mark_swart
12/17/2015 6:38pm
crusher773 wrote:
Just don't quit riding then you never really make the transition you just have the best riding buddy ever.
I agree!!!

I started my daughter riding when she was four. She liked riding, not really into racing. That was tough for me to grasp because I was READY to teach, but she just wasn't interested. So as a parent, beware of that, sometimes we are the last people that our kids want to learn from.
She got of of it, then about two years ago I fired up a two stroke and she said she really missed that smell. Now she's 14 and has a YZ 125. She still doesn't want to race, but we ride together pretty often. And I think any time a 14 year old voluntarily chooses to hang out and do something with her dad, that's pretty much a win.

Not to mention I always like to "borrow" her 125 for a few laps just to make sure it's "running okay" : ) !
12/17/2015 7:24pm
ER Visits. Yea. I think I scared my brother. His first memory is me breaking my collarbone at 15 and going to surgery. Bad memory. Then two years ago my dad really wrapped his leg up likens pretzel. Needed two surgeries and was out for 8 months.

Then I got hurt again this August and he was pretty upset. I thought I was he one that ruined it for him, he asked me about injuries and I just said well I'm lucky it wasn't worse, but I'm healing and as long as your in control your chances of major injury are less in my opinion. Both my major accident were freak. Same with my dads. He raced his whole life been to lorettas a few times never was injured but was always perfect with technique. I told broc bones heal. I told him if you get your technique down and stay in your comfort zone you can ride fun and safe, the speed will come. Had a longer discussion with him but ever since then he's all gung hoe about riding a yz 125 I picked up for him last July.

One if those deals you can't pass up.

Plus he just got his license. I got a solid riding buddy now. South trips. Life is about to get brotherly fun.

RY9MX
12/17/2015 8:30pm Edited Date/Time 12/17/2015 8:31pm
My 3 (almost 4) year old has been on his pw for about 4 months. I used to ride about 2-3 times per month. Now when we go to the track or our property, we only bring his bike and i watch/yell the while time, and by yell I'm talking about telling him to slow down, lol. He gets so excited to go fast and try to jump. It's awesome. He's too young to leave unattended while I ride, but it's still a great time, especially when there are a few of the real little guys at once.
https://instagram.com/p/9vumkpATT0UTpV4vP5n8YNRvvXBZCELpa0IxE0/
ToolMaker
Fantasy
927th
12/17/2015 9:32pm
My son got his first bike (PW50) when he was 5, he's 26 now. I got a bike when I couldn't run behind anymore. From there I had to learn. We had many trips to the desert that were epic. There was a long period of time that Fridays after work we were off to Elsinore every week for more epic memories. Interesting that we ended up in Moto. I spent my whole growing up years as a surfer and always dreamed of going out surfing with my kids. Neither son nor daughter was interested in surfing.
TM
12/17/2015 10:10pm
TM that shows It's really about the time spent together for sure.
Chains
12/17/2015 11:45pm
13-Upgrade bike with their own money (best highlight ever)

I dream of this day, Haha
kijen
12/18/2015 4:44am
Keep it fun, don't force anything, you may see yourself as coach, but most kids, don't make that distinction, you will be dad to them no matter what. I coached my son in aau basketball, pop warner football and tried in mx, definitely made some mistakes, best learning environment was we when we're having fun, big gains when I kept it positive, shitty day when I "thought" I was coach.

Post a reply to: The moto-rider to moto-parent transition

The Latest