The lost art of cornering.

rcm406
Edited Date/Time 3/15/2013 4:45pm
All the top guys(RV excluded) seem to not focus on cornering these days. With the days of difficult rhythm sections and whoops on a SX track over, cornering seems to be more and more important these days. The older guys(Stewart and Reed) have spent their entire careers(when tracks were difficult) trying to get through rhythm sections and whoops the fastest and they seem to not focus on cornering. I don't see the tracks changing in the near future, so I hope they start putting more emphasis on cornering otherwise RV won't lose anytime soon. JMHO
|
3/14/2013 8:50am
Whle that might be true for some, I'm sure the top tier guys still work on it among all pieces of their craft.

I know DeCoster chose Dungey from LL's partially because he was impressed with his cornering ability (from Inside the Outdoors)...
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
3/14/2013 9:00am
rcm406 wrote:
All the top guys(RV excluded) seem to not focus on cornering these days. With the days of difficult rhythm sections and whoops on a SX track...
All the top guys(RV excluded) seem to not focus on cornering these days. With the days of difficult rhythm sections and whoops on a SX track over, cornering seems to be more and more important these days. The older guys(Stewart and Reed) have spent their entire careers(when tracks were difficult) trying to get through rhythm sections and whoops the fastest and they seem to not focus on cornering. I don't see the tracks changing in the near future, so I hope they start putting more emphasis on cornering otherwise RV won't lose anytime soon. JMHO
Yep, agreed. Races are won by cornering speed.
jtomasik
3/14/2013 9:01am
I don't get why you think this. The top guys fly through the turns when that's the fastest line. Villo's cornering speed is amazing. Stew's corner speed is as well. Barcia, Dungey, and Millsaps show some crazy corner speed. I can't see a pro at that level not working on any situation that will help him win.
dak446
3/14/2013 9:08am Edited Date/Time 3/14/2013 12:57pm

The Shop

AzMxr
3/14/2013 9:08am
Reed said a couple weeks ago, that corning is the key place to win the race and that his corner speed sucked, and was working hard at improving that.
IceMan446
3/14/2013 9:14am
Part of it is the four strokes.

The lines don't sweep through the corners as much as they used to, partly because they don't have to carry a lot of corner speed to hit the jumps like they had to on a two stroke.

But I think you would be surprised at how fast they do corner. They might not look like it but those dudes rip around the corners.

I did notice the turn before the finish at Daytona the line was really sharp and they came in and squared up to jump that first triple. But they were ripping that big berm in the section with the wall. So it really depends on the section and the approach needed to jump the obstacle.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
3/14/2013 9:35am
IceMan446 wrote:
Part of it is the four strokes. The lines don't sweep through the corners as much as they used to, partly because they don't have to...

The lines don't sweep through the corners as much as they used to, partly because they don't have to carry a lot of corner speed to hit the jumps like they had to on a two stroke.

But I think you would be surprised at how fast they do corner. They might not look like it but those dudes rip around the corners.

I did notice the turn before the finish at Daytona the line was really sharp and they came in and squared up to jump that first triple. But they were ripping that big berm in the section with the wall. So it really depends on the section and the approach needed to jump the obstacle.
^^^

They fly through corners. RV does do a lot more rear steering (via throttle) than some of the other guys. He's more spectacular through corners, for sure.
3/14/2013 9:44am
So lets see here...Villo is pulling away from everyone by say 1 sec a lap......
there are 10 turns to the track......so he is making up 1/10th of a second per corner........
yep...that is unbelievably faster in anybodys book.....
Top End
3/14/2013 9:53am
I have always liked watching riders that steer with the rear tire. Whether they backing it in or letting it hang out. It almost seems like a lost art these days. It may be slower for some riders but it seem to work for others.
Arkmx
3/14/2013 10:20am

I have always told my boys that races are won in the corners. Just about everyone is the same speed on the straights etc.

I know its not SX Bowl turns.... but here are two of my boys Blake no# and Zach #672 at Blake's River Rat practice area showing their cornering styles...

peelout
3/14/2013 10:31am Edited Date/Time 3/14/2013 10:31am
corners don't get the puss.

sik jumps do, bro.
Sandberm
3/14/2013 10:43am
I wonder what GarySemics thinks?
3/14/2013 10:44am
peelout wrote:

sik jumps do, bro.
who cares about being fast through berms when you can hang your butt off the seat, drop your elbows, and "scrub" like your boy Devin.
peelout
3/14/2013 10:45am
Sandberm wrote:
I wonder what GarySemics thinks?
i would think he can see the aggression Villo carries in corners. it's pretty awesome to watch
rcm406
3/14/2013 10:45am
peelout wrote:

sik jumps do, bro.
You're right bro, but there aren't any sik jump combos to try on the tracks these days!Sad
3/14/2013 10:46am
peelout wrote:

sik jumps do, bro.
rcm406 wrote:
You're right bro, but there aren't any sik jump combos to try on the tracks these days!Sad
If I go to a track and there arent at least two on-off sections, I shit in the top tank of their toilet.

Fucking upper decker.
Zaugg
3/14/2013 10:48am
Gary Bailey and I were talking about cornering at the San Diego SX and from what he observed, its not the top tier guys that need to focus on cornering, its everyone else. hahaha
TeamGreen
3/14/2013 10:50am
peelout wrote:

sik jumps do, bro.
I still haven't recovered from the implication that Stewie & CR ain't Down with the Corners, Bro!

And, my Peelin' Bad-Ass Bro is right, Sick Jumps get the Hot-Chicks!
6-wheelz
3/14/2013 10:57am
IceMan446 wrote:
Part of it is the four strokes. The lines don't sweep through the corners as much as they used to, partly because they don't have to...

^^^ What he said^^^ Hit the throttle mid turn 4 stroke pick the front wheel up out of the berm you fall down.
3/14/2013 10:57am
I ride at Milestone all the time next to the supercross track. One thing I noticed is that the guys that are doing well at the races charge everywhere on the track. On the other hand, a lot of the three digit guys jump the jumps well but are (relatively) coasting around the corners. I don't thing it is fair to say that the top guys are not fast in corners but then again if you watch say Roczen rail rutted corners he definitely has something going on. Whether that is just his own skill or from riding GP's I wouldn't know...
Sandberm
3/14/2013 10:58am
peelout wrote:

sik jumps do, bro.
rcm406 wrote:
If I go to a track and there arent at least two on-off sections, I shit in the top tank of their toilet.

Fucking upper decker.
Whats a seasons pass for the Raiders cost these days anyhow?
Prairieboy43
3/14/2013 11:00am
Zaugg wrote:
Gary Bailey and I were talking about cornering at the San Diego SX and from what he observed, its not the top tier guys that need...
Gary Bailey and I were talking about cornering at the San Diego SX and from what he observed, its not the top tier guys that need to focus on cornering, its everyone else. hahaha
X2. WoohooWoohooWoohoo
6-wheelz
3/14/2013 11:02am
GuyB wrote:
^^^ They fly through corners. RV does do a lot more rear steering (via throttle) than some of the other guys. He's more spectacular through corners...
^^^

They fly through corners. RV does do a lot more rear steering (via throttle) than some of the other guys. He's more spectacular through corners, for sure.
There once was another red headed guy rode (still rides) the same way!!!
3/14/2013 11:02am
rcm406 wrote:

Fucking upper decker.
Sandberm wrote:
Whats a seasons pass for the Raiders cost these days anyhow?
I just tailgate. Beer brauts, bro.
cwtoyota
3/14/2013 11:06am
Track position is often greater than corner speed in supercross. Especially for the guys riding the 250 class.

In the 450 class, we see the guys with corner speed killing the competition, especially Villopoto, he's on another level.

Every time I see RV power sliding a bowl turn with both feet on the pegs, I say "Damn! .... DAMN!"
IWreckALot
3/14/2013 11:24am
I've watched Tomac through some corners and could have sworn he moved the whole corner. . .

But sometimes I don't think TV can convey how fast they are actually making it through the corners. And if they're hesitant in a corner, it seems like they're afraid of washing the front end.
cwtoyota
3/14/2013 11:57am
IWreckALot wrote:
I've watched Tomac through some corners and could have sworn he moved the whole corner. . . But sometimes I don't think TV can convey how...
I've watched Tomac through some corners and could have sworn he moved the whole corner. . .

But sometimes I don't think TV can convey how fast they are actually making it through the corners. And if they're hesitant in a corner, it seems like they're afraid of washing the front end.
Yeah, TV makes it look so slow and easy. TV often makes the tracks look weak and flat too.
I try to explain to my casual-fan friends and friends who aren't racers just how gnarly the tracks, riders, sport are.

The only way to ever really understand is to go to a national and stand near the exit of a corner and go walk a supercross track.
gotwings
3/14/2013 12:40pm
rcm406 wrote:
All the top guys(RV excluded) seem to not focus on cornering these days. With the days of difficult rhythm sections and whoops on a SX track...
Maybe you need to get out there and show em how its done...
Titan1
3/14/2013 12:45pm
rcm406 wrote:
To say the top guys in this sport don't care about and/or lack corner speed is just plain comedy!

If you think Reed, Stewart, Dungey and crew are slow in the corners and don't care about corner speed...well, I'm just not sure what to say to that? You sound like a kook talking about how the moon landing as staged....So I'll just roll my eyes, and move along...

Post a reply to: The lost art of cornering.

The Latest