The influence of SX on MX tracks

cwtoyota
5/25/2019 12:09am
I have noticed track owners don’t rip the tracks as deep as they used to. Unless you catch a track after some rain, deep ruts are...
I have noticed track owners don’t rip the tracks as deep as they used to. Unless you catch a track after some rain, deep ruts are a thing of the past.
It's less work for the maintenance crew and people don't like to ride ruts because it's hard.

A softer track breaks down, gets rutted and forms gnarly bumps. My local track (that I'm headed Saturday morning) asked people if they want a "vet prep" or a deep rutted bumpy track for the day. I saw what seemed like a larger number of people asking for the smooth vet-prep... Bummer.

It's not a particularly gnarly track when it is ripped deep, but everyone wants a highway I guess.
I'm real close to the 40+ class, still learning and still improving and love technical tracks.

Johnny Oz
5/25/2019 12:50am
Casting wrote:
I watched the Pala track map https://racerxonline.com/2019/05/24/fox-raceway-animated-track-map and while I knew it would not resemble a typical motocross track, I was reminded that each year I...
I watched the Pala track map https://racerxonline.com/2019/05/24/fox-raceway-animated-track-map and while I knew it would not resemble a typical motocross track, I was reminded that each year I am a bit more disappointed when outdoor motocross tracks add more supercross-style obstacles at the expense of straightaways, hills, and natural terrain.

I realize this has been happening for a long time, probably before I was born (1990), but if me as near 30-year old is noticing this and becoming disappointed, what are you old heads and vets thinking? Do you like how things are changing? What tracks have been influenced the most?

Washougal and Southwick are sweet because the appeal isn't just the jumps alone - it's the track following the natural elevation up and down hills, through valleys, on off-cambers, and through the trees!

My home National is High Point and I feel lucky that I get to watch the pros rip up and down the hills of that valley, though I do think the racing could benefit a tiny bit from some of the jumps being removed to allow the racers to shred the natural terrain which High Point has a ton of!

So, what do you old heads, vets, and other young folks think? Which tracks have been influenced the most/least?

I'm really interested in hearing from the older members of our community who have lived through more of this change than me.

Totally agree with you, in the 'one lap with Amart' vid he complains about single jumps, man that is motocross! Kids of today, l shake my head ;-)
5/25/2019 1:08am
Off cambers, sick downhills and uphills. Shit where normal mortals would fail, crash and burn. Old school.
Ranman68
5/25/2019 8:48am
I like this track they're racing on this weekend. I think some supercross mixed in a little into some outdoor tracks is cool. I just wouldn't want to see it done to all of them. I think we need a deep, narly sand track. Something like Lommel in the ama race schedule. Even if it has to be man made. That's just me.

The Shop

Post a reply to: The influence of SX on MX tracks

The Latest